What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Home leisure direct shocker

chris b

Registered
Browsing my face book tonight and as always hld comes up as it does constantly on my pc annoying anyway i see the first game footage of GOT in the uk so i think nice one must be worth a look i could not believe my eyes footage filmed from nlp on the pinball heaven stand then using it to promote sales on there web site is it me or is this a **** take not sure mr palmer will be too happy about this
anyway if people want to see and play GOT it should be in the coffee shop in chiswick from friday

Considering the amount of effort that we all went to to put on a decent pinball event, where we all put in months of preparation, 3 long days talking to hundreds of people, van hire, setup, tear down all for the benefit of the uk scene and for the companies that made the effort , it really makes me mad to hear about this kind of thing. Have some integrity people for **** sake....

can you link me to the offending ad?
i never saw it but agree it sounds bad, am happy to relay to Abi (lady who works there and who i've seen at 3 shows now, cutre as a button as also a decent player) and see if she can sort it out. i'm sure they don't want any negative press and that this can be sorted out.

No I didn't agree to it, I have already had words with HLD about other things like QC etc (ending our association together - you will notice JJP products gone off their website now).

You don't need to tell Abi, I will be telling them myself tomorrow!

To say I was annoyed when I saw they had come to Manchester, filmed MY game that I FLEW OVER to raise cash for TCT without even saying who they were or what they were doing, well, annoyed is an understatement.... my head nearly blew off my shoulders.

Phil

They should at least donate to Dylan's trip!!

This s practice does not shock me, I too have had problems with HLD, I have my own small pinball business as many of you will be aware and was approached last year as Phil was to "help them out" this was at a UK league meet at my house Andy of hld asked if he could film some videos of my collection and me and craig p. Did thís as thought it may help me in my own venture. I was initially happy to do this and offered them the best possible service, repair and refurbishment and advice whenever needed.
They then employed a so called engineer in the spring and never gave me another days work since. Needless to say the person they employed had never owned a pinball or had any experience in repairing them so the asked me to train him! Obviously I refused as counter-productive to my own interests.
Now to the connection to this story, many of you will have seen the videos made at my house last year, which were done when the first entered the pinball arena as I have had no communication with them since the spring except for the sponsorship money for my Pinball Madness league, I asked Andy Directly and personally to remove these videos as he was now perfectly able to reproduce them on house now and wished have all images of my machines removed from HLD's website. I got a response of from Andy that the would when they are able to remake them........... read, no we won't as don't have the in-house expertise. This was nearly 2 months ago and still they are up.
Last week o have was approached by them for the first time in nearly 6 months as they have so many faults on machines in the showrooms and out with customers, I am still officially considering my options but I think you can all guess my what my final decision will be;)

There was a comment on a blog the other day about HLD, some guy being sold a lemon of a machine and them not doing anything bout it.

Will try to find the link.

This is 'guerrilla filming' and a highly risky practice, especially moreso if you are putting it on your website/youtube etc for everyone to see (In fact you have to be pretty stupid to do this if you are using it for promo stuff).

Permission is key, when I filmed my short Pinball documentary, I had written consent forms from everyone we interviewed (standard practice, you only get away with not doing this if what you are filming is classed as 'news'), I contacted and confirmed filming dates and interviewees months in advance. On the one event that was public like this we put up signs notifying everyone that filming was in progress and all attendees (was a league meet) were told via email that filming was taking place beforehand (we actually had someone decline to come because of this which was dissapointing - they weren't even being interviewed!) and in the end we got some great footage and everyone was happy.

Moral of the story, plan and do your research!

I'm sorry but that's a load of bullsh*t, they made the choice to go to that event (they were probably going anyway). So they put maybe £10 in the game and somehow that gives them the right to film it and then use that footage for promotional purposes? Not only would they have needed permission from Phil but also the people at Play Expo, I bet they had neither.

Their responses scream damage control as well.

Out of interest what do you get extra for your money from HLD...as GOT LE is £900 dearer than PH :eek:

I can totally understand why Phil is ****ed off, he made the effort to import the machine, bring it to the show and stand for the whole weekend in one spot chatting with his customers. HLD spent a few quid on the machine trying it out and filmed it. So who deserves the advertising from this?

Maybe next year HLD will bring their own machines for us to try out?

I see they have deleted all the negative remarks... left the responses though :confused:

Didnt catch this baby yet though did they:

Capture.PNG

Bit of a non story though really isn't it. Videoing in a public place is legal..not necessarily moral, but not that big a deal surely

It's entirely immoral. Even if you ignore the fact that Phil was running that machine to raise money for charity. And you also ignore the fact that he put his own hand in pocket to arrange it all...

It's as if Home Leisure Direct were to setup an empty stall right next to Phil and say "come and play these machines we sell...over there"

It's just a cheap and ****ty thing to do. They're deleting stuff of Facebook too, but interestingly they haven't deleted the offending video. Speaks volumes

Edit: looks like they've given up and deleted it now

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom