What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Garage Dehumidifier And Heater Suggestions

Well, it is up.

I'll probably see how it goes before I put up some plasterboard. Now for a de-humidifier.

IMG_0311.JPG

IMG_0310.JPG

Ok dokey.

Heater and de-humidifier now in situ. Now, what is the best setup for this combo ?
Leave them both on all the time ?
Does the de-humidifier need to be on through the winter ?

Never driven a de-humidifier before so any help will be appreciated.

I run my dehumidifier 24x7 for around 5 months a year. They need emptying quite regularly unless you can attach a hose pipe to your machine for continuous drainage.

Dehumidifiers usually have settings for how dry you want the air to be. This determines how much water they extract and how hard they work.

I have my fan heater on a time clock.

In terms of plastering under your insulation... I would avoid adding to the weight that the concrete sheets are carrying. These things can sag, then crack. The insulation is light, plasterboard is a different proposition

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

I'm running the de-humidifier at about 50%. Still faffing with the heater but hoping to not let it drop below 10 degrees.

If you use a dessicant dehumidifier (one was mentioned previously in the thread) you dont need the additional heating, since they also pump out warm air.

So - Compressor dehumidifiers are only useful from around 14C upwards. Dessicant ones dont have a compressor, so can work down to around 3-4C.

The most common are the Ecoair dehumidifier DD122 MK5 - around 150 new. Not cheap, however when you think that on all but the coldest nights it will keep things warm and dry, and if it is really really cold (havent tried that yet!) you can just add a little friendly heat in the background.
I have the "simple" version (only difference is the simple has no ioniser), however was only £50 second hand as an experiment - a good one too!

If you use a dessicant dehumidifier (one was mentioned previously in the thread) you dont need the additional heating, since they also pump out warm air.

So - Compressor dehumidifiers are only useful from around 14C upwards. Dessicant ones dont have a compressor, so can work down to around 3-4C.

The most common are the Ecoair dehumidifier DD122 MK5 - around 150 new. Not cheap, however when you think that on all but the coldest nights it will keep things warm and dry, and if it is really really cold (havent tried that yet!) you can just add a little friendly heat in the background.
I have the "simple" version (only difference is the simple has no ioniser), however was only £50 second hand as an experiment - a good one too!

How much does it cost to run?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is the exact de-humidifier I bought Paul (the simple one). You're right about the heat too. It chugs out a fair amount of warm air. I am just trying to balance the heater now so it only kicks in when things get really chilly.
I will definitely need to use the pipe drain though I think on the de-humidifier. The reservoir was half full after only a few hours.

I think somebody mentioned earlier about 2-300 watts. Not bad for something that is controlling the moisture and supplying heat too.

I think somebody mentioned earlier about 2-300 watts. Not bad for something that is controlling the moisture and supplying heat too.
Looking really good. Could you link we where you got your dehumidifier from? And maybe a pic of it in action so I can see the how full the resovoir gets.

I just had my house and pin garage all rewired so this is the last part of my project to do. I was fine in the summer but now it is getting chilly in there

Looking really good. Could you link we where you got your dehumidifier from? And maybe a pic of it in action so I can see the how full the resovoir gets.

I just had my house and pin garage all rewired so this is the last part of my project to do. I was fine in the summer but now it is getting chilly in there
http://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p...ce=VigLink+UK_1736887&utm_medium=tradedoubler

I shall take a photo tomorrow of the reservoir. I must say I am very impressed with it.
I'm ordering the lights and plasterboard for the ceiling this week. Also the battens and plasterboard for the walls. 50mm insulation going on the walls. Should be toasty when it's finished.

The reservoir was half full after only a few hours.

It will gather a lot initially as you're probably around the 80% humidity mark at the moment, once you've got the surplus moisture out of the air it may settle down and collect a bit less over the same time period.

I sometimes wonder if we all overthink/overworry this. I have had the GrizZ Shack for about 6 years now. It's insulated but gets nippy in winter. I stick on the fan heater for a bit, or the oil heater, for my own comfort. Sometimes I'll put heater on timer if it looks near freezing overnight, but usually I forget or don't bother. Never had a dehumidifier.

Never noticed any wayward affect on my machines.

I always remember Dave Roberts, who had 6+ machines in seafront arcade in Brighton. The arcade closed end of October each year. Pins sat in unheated seafront arcade until March. He went down turned them on for new season.... never a problem. Got the TAF from there here now, still going strong :)

Chill out, with or without the heater on, your games will be fine :-D

I sometimes wonder if we all overthink/overworry this.

Not at all. When you power up 20 machines on a weekly basis you noticed the difference! When it's not in use with lots of small niggly faults appearing from time to time (typically fuses and transistors blowing for no apparent reason) as electronic really do not like moisture. Many people would probably put it down to operating lots of old electronic equipment and that it goes with the territory of dealing with old kit but it's not, it's to do with how much moisture is there...

I have an energy meter on mine - it takes the most in "turbo" mode - however thats only really for getting a high humidity room down to a level fast - in standard mode sat at around "medium" it runs at 399W with the heater on.

Problem with this is the more replies/answers you get/the more options you look at the more confusing it gets as @DRD says "NO-ONE KNOWS the answer" so basically it is suck it and see but you need insulation, heat and moisture removal (dehumidifier).

Just finishing off my cabin and I'm using 50mm kingspan (same as celotex) on the walls and 100mm on the roof. Heating not decided yet whether to go for some background heating and then dehumidifier or maybe just go for a mobile aircon unit which will keep it cool in summer but warm in winter :)

kingspan/celotex not cheap but worth it I think, if you need good prices give me a shout ;)
Steve do tell me about the good kingspan prices ?

Cheers

kev

Not at all. When you power up 20 machines on a weekly basis you noticed the difference! When it's not in use with lots of small niggly faults appearing from time to time (typically fuses and transistors blowing for no apparent reason) as electronic really do not like moisture. Many people would probably put it down to operating lots of old electronic equipment and that it goes with the territory of dealing with old kit but it's not, it's to do with how much moisture is there...

Well ....maybe , you are a man who knows his potatoes.....but I honestly think unless you are living in swamp condition then the failing of what are to all intents and purposes ancient electronics is most likley down to the fact they are ancient and fatigued....

I'm happy to carry on in blissful ignorance :D

Last edited:
Cheers man but that is pretty much standard price - I thinking @Steve C might be able to do a lot better ;)

Cheers

kev
Ah ok. I'll keep an eye on it then as I am going to need some more since I decided to do the walls with 50mm as well.

Well ....maybe , you are a man who knows his potatoes.....but I honestly think unless you are living in swamp condition then the failing of what are to all intents and purposes ancient electronics is most likley down to the fact they are ancient and fatigued....

I'm happy to carry on in blissful ignorance :D
+1.
I've been in this hobby for yonks and never had a problem.
Heater in the cold months and that's it.
I think it's more a OCD problem than anything else.

Back
Top Bottom