What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete Future Spa 💦

The left hand side came out so smooth yesterday I just decided to do the right as well, rub down and two more coats.
Front is ok as had more paint as easy, sides had 5 or 6 coats of gloss white and about 5 coats of primer.
Still not as good as I wanted it but hopefully good enough.
What other excuses can I find not to stencil😂
B768F558-074A-42F8-AE60-52B80FB267C9.jpeg

Weather good now for 7/10 days, has been very humid here. First time doing this, was fumbling around for ages trying to get a corner up on the stencil to finally realise it was the wrong part I was trying to release😂

Got it stuck down nice and firm, I just knew that because it was laying flat the high flow nozzles would drip and as I was spraying it did and it would be on part of the cab and not the stencil overlay but hopefully when the purple goes over that it will not be noticeable not that it is right now anyway.
Put the standard nozzle back on to finish, not knowing how long to wait before peeling off was another suck it and see moment. Waited about 10 mins then started peeling off stencil, could see the paint edges lifting a bit but laying flat again, was getting very sweaty doing that! Will wait a bit longer next time but got away with it.

Not sure how long to wait to put the next layer on, 24 or 48 hours?

The sides of the cab are going to be very interesting and even more sweaty I’m thinking😂

CCB636CB-7313-49D4-9E04-786A85A906A0.jpeg
1FEF279C-B0BA-4C9E-AF64-DC4CFDD16944.jpeg

Leave for a minimum of 4-5 days. Or you will lift it or get a reaction where the two paints overlay… patience is the key to success with stencils.😎👍🏼
Excellent first attempt.
@M4carp have you choose red over pink or is it the light?……..

Last edited:
Leave for a minimum of 4-5 days. Or you will lift it or get a reaction where the two paints overlay… patience is the key to success with stencils.😎👍🏼
Excellent first attempt.
@M4carp have you choose red over pink or is it the light?……..
Thanks for the tip👍

Its Rust-oleum hot pink but does look red, looks similar to what was under the legs though which looks more red than pink.
I hope their purple looks purple and not blue😂
9713E1FA-2F0E-4F32-AE93-AA98563AD143.jpeg

Just did another side, really annoying the stencil put something onto the the white paint. Tried cleaning it off but only got a bit off, like a clear substance. Luckily the hot pink went over it without reaction, you can still see some in the white. Hopefully some spirits will clean it off, need to get some. This must of came on the back of the stencil backing as I was careful with storing it.

Found it hard to spray nicely with the crappy nozzle that comes with the can but just about got there. Less paint on this time as no drips to hide.
Waited 30 mins before peeling off this time and much better.

Im just putting this out there, this is way too stressful and could be the first and last stencil job I do😂 Respect to all you guys that do this regularly😎

6428D374-C4C9-47E6-B638-43471B590E12.jpeg
191E1B3D-DD0B-4C1A-8778-410F90861195.jpeg

Just sprayed the first of second layers, they don’t do purple in Rust-oleum Mode so had to use their Painters Touch range instead so was unsure how it would flow and dry. Could see it was a thinner paint as it was laying down so was extra careful not to put too much on which is easier said than done when you only get one chance at it.
It also drys slower than the mode but at about 30 mins I started peeling the stencils off carefully and came out ok apart from one bit of white that I didn’t mask off for some reason but easily sorted later.

I had an excuse to make mistakes today as we had a phone call at 1:30 this morning for my wife to go 2 doors away to watch our granddaughter as her parents went to hospital as my sons wife started to go into labour! Delivered at 5:30 this morning a boy of 7lbs🥳

5552E594-7BDB-482A-9ACF-70A42A1E51D5.jpeg
A549EE51-41FA-4140-AA75-12924383526D.jpeg
8E76C352-0D0A-4F77-9A18-78C859461160.jpeg
C572568B-EDC0-4202-B589-3195A137525B.jpeg
0168072C-AAE6-4F7E-A41B-6AF9FC8932C4.jpeg

What a PITA this was today, the ‘x’s wouldn’t line up so had to spend time making sure the overlap was correct otherwise it would look awful, stencil was over sticky so has left residue everywhere so I hope that all comes off as has lost its smooth look. Then I pulled off in one area that was awkward at a dodgy angle and took a small bit of red off that can be touched in later, oh and forgot to put tape over one of the x’s luckily a only tiny bit of purple to get off.

I reckon the paint could go 10 days between layers to cure with Mode line, the white was on a couple of weeks I think and rock hard.

Apart from that, great and not even halfway there yet😂
05AB211E-A083-422E-A4AC-95B22085C554.jpeg
AB35D296-4E9E-414C-8823-C0281CC3B7A1.jpeg
671FDDED-80C9-4C8B-BB9F-8FAC617CCE9C.jpeg
8C5F7201-9113-4020-832A-C241AACABBBA.jpeg
BB0899D1-7625-4186-A492-C47C0ECC9A12.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: DRD
It’s the most frustrating process ever!!! looking good though.
Thanks mate, like I said before unless you have done this you really don’t know what you are up against.
Now I know😱
I was going to go dry for a while, I’m now ordering a keg😂

You can see the residue easier on the red, I know you said water or soapy water to remove but I’m not sure and will try that once it’s all cured.
I have email Pinball Pimp to see what he says.

Just had a good look at it and there might even be line marks from where I have used that scraper tool to flatten the stencil, not sure but should polish out if it is.
Need to be careful with the next lot and give it more time to cure and be more careful with the scraper tool.
CAEAAFC4-AC6E-496C-86EA-9DB8BA31F2BE.jpeg

Last edited:
i apply the stencil by hand. don’t use the scraper thingy
I went by his guide, learn by your mistakes I always say because you never forget next time!
Will give that a go on the other side of the backbox next, I bet I get no residue that way. Just didn’t want any bleed through the stencils so probably laying it down too hard.
Thanks.

The residue seems to be a recent thing for me - not sure if the glue has changed on the oramask he is using, it never was a problem in the past - only on the last 2 ive done.

The residue seems to be a recent thing for me - not sure if the glue has changed on the oramask he is using, it never was a problem in the past - only on the last 2 ive done.
Pinball Pimp just got back to me blaming everything but the stencils, he said it does happen and can’t remember what people do/use to get it off.
The white had about 2 weeks dry time and rock hard, residue stuck to that too. He said it was water based glue on the backing.

@new forest pinball I basically copied you for paint I think when you did the FS last year using Mode for primer, gloss white, gloss hot pink. Did you get any residue left on the paint from the stencils?

Hi @M4carp ,
Yea had it a couple of times over the years. Normally following these three scenarios...
1) the use of a matt paint where a correct colour match is not available in gloss. (Paint mixed by request).
2) temperature is above 29 centigrade.
3) the stencil had been left on for over 20 minutes.
Or often a combination of the above. It’s never the stencil according to Jeff🤣 Although with one of our jobs this year he labelled the colours wrong and we reverse stencilled 🤬😲💥🤦🏽‍♂️ Credit due, he did admit to that one but I was livid.
To remove NEVER use solvent based label remover like this.....
0C3CBBA6-F826-4ED9-8B94-54E79E30D164.png
Use goo gone pro or the gel in a spray. Apply liberally then wash off with a cloth soaked in soapy water.......
03393A52-D051-4E44-BD4A-6869DC36F52C.png
Hopefully some help... looking very good for a first attempt. Stencil work is NOT for the faint hearted......but it’s so worth it when it’s finished.....
Cheers Keef......😎

Hi @M4carp ,
Yea had it a couple of times over the years. Normally following these three scenarios...
1) the use of a matt paint where a correct colour match is not available in gloss. (Paint mixed by request).
2) temperature is above 29 centigrade.
3) the stencil had been left on for over 20 minutes.
Or often a combination of the above. It’s never the stencil according to Jeff🤣 Although with one of our jobs this year he labelled the colours wrong and we reverse stencilled 🤬😲💥🤦🏽‍♂️ Credit due, he did admit to that one but I was livid.
To remove NEVER use solvent based label remover like this.....

Use goo gone pro or the gel in a spray. Apply liberally then wash off with a cloth soaked in soapy water.......

Hopefully some help... looking very good for a first attempt. Stencil work is NOT for the faint hearted......but it’s so worth it when it’s finished.....
Cheers Keef......😎
Thanks very much Keef, was looking at goo gone and wondering😎

Stencils we’re on from 20 mins to about 45 mins, I didn’t like the way the paint lifted with the stencil when only drying for 10 mins but got away with it.
Temp was ok early 20’s.
Gloss used.

WoW I bet you were fuming when you reversed the stencils!

Right, I will put them on a bit more lightly, take off quicker trying not to touch the wet paint😬 and see how that goes.

Wife came back from work thinking it was a right mess the way I was going on but thought it looked good, but I pointed out the residue then she understood my feelings.
One of those things but very annoying when you try so hard, going to the pub 🍻for a pint down the beach. Pic coming😂

Tried some goo gone pro, not really done much but didn’t leave it on for more than a few minutes. Have to be careful with it as it dulls the purple which it’s not on anyway. Will try again and leave it on longer but even if I leave it will look pretty good as it’s only certain angles you can see it. It’s laying on its side so can see it from many angles.
I used to do a bit of bodywork and spraying so I see everything, such a curse sometimes.

Did the pink on the other side of the head and the stencil is still leaving something behind and or dulling it, much less pressure used putting it down and not on there more than 15 mins.
Its only if you look at it from angle you can see it, straight on looks ok. One of the x’s came off as wasn’t paying attention, fun fun fun😂

Don't get me wrong as it looks really good but this shouldn’t be happening as its being done by the book and plenty of time to cure I think, over 4 weeks for the white.

Pink is on perfect, the pictures on here seem to show the edges not solid.

The bottom pic has the marking/residue issue in the middle on the hot pink (red) but can’t be seen straight on.

570F9650-B9C0-4065-8F36-971C8EB795CD.jpeg
C445CCA6-029C-4C02-9766-E8604FEB7380.jpeg

Last edited:
Good news, the cab side looks great when up in its correct orientation😎

Bad news is that the other side that was laid down on bubble wrap even though it felt rock hard and has dried for 4 weeks before laying down got damaged by the bubble wrap because the paint must still be soft. I had a funny feeling it would and know I should have laid it on something flatter and softer, had a fleece blanket ready for the done side.
At least it proves this paint needs god knows how long to cure, maybe forever!

So out with the sand paper and repaint, hopefully it will dry without any marks. Looks ok wet.

My son gave me a hand turning the cab over and even he was gutted, I just had a cold sweat😂

Onwards and upwards👊
6FC210F1-7716-45FF-BC93-2B252E5C73ED.jpeg
383EAFF0-7AAE-46F2-83AF-C8F345A0E049.jpeg
FF802625-B14B-45C2-B123-31FBD788D34A.jpeg
Sanded and resprayed🤞
E386727B-4676-43D2-91F4-91DAE96A436F.jpeg

Last edited:
How annoying. Can you reuse the stencils or do you have to buy new ones?

How annoying. Can you reuse the stencils or do you have to buy new ones?
Very but luckily easy enough to get back to how it was and had some paint left thankfully.
No they get peeled off and unusable like a decal, stretches and gets stuck together. Luckily no stencils used yet on the side that had the bubble wrap marks on.
Looks ok this morning with no sign of the honeycomb effect.
Will have to wait a while now before I can stencil it, at least week or two weeks I’m thinking.

At least I now know what it takes to stencil a cab and that is nerves of steel and patience😂

Head now finished🥳 Still leaving some kind of residue behind even with the first layer you peel off instantly before spraying 🤷‍♂️
Will let it cure for a long time before I attempt to try and get it off but it might not be seen easily so will see how it goes.
Will start on the rest of the cab next week.

Once that is finished I will be sorting the playfield out, few more bits to arrive. Not decided on which leds and/or lamps yet.
9FAC4FF8-88FE-429F-8713-D9C991BAEE85.jpeg

Well I have let all what’s done cure for a bit and all the weird dull/residue marks and line marks have disappeared! It’s almost like it’s self healing paint, I’m gobsmacked.
Hoping to start the other side tomorrow as the humidity is going to be at its lowest for a while at least, I’m having to ‘levitate’ the done side as I don’t want it getting marks in as the paint might still be soft underneath. Feels hard but not getting caught out again.
Putting leg bolts in front and back to hold that part up off the ground then adding cardboard edge protectors where the side trim goes, if it marks there it will be covered.

Will put some pics up tomorrow to show what I mean, hope it works out🤞

Really happy with it so far now😎
6F4D8880-5925-4D39-8051-AEA986E43D5D.jpeg

Last edited:
Did my back in yesterday so this was a big effort but needed to get done as weather turning and my garage can get very humid.
Managed to ’levitate‘ the cab so should be mark free🙏

I hate using these rust-oleum cans with their nozzles as they give a crap dry’ish round pattern but can’t use the high output fan nozzles when spraying above as they drip.
Should dry with a smoother looking finish like the rest has.

Getting easier doing this, was much more calm and controlled taking the stencil off. No issues.

Put a heater there for a bit as cooler here at the moment and should help it dry better.66F97F30-7CEB-4A86-80B6-C6E7CC1D2587.jpeg
326AA2C7-E4F1-4884-B9E1-86D309514070.jpeg
FD80279B-231C-4D45-8159-E67D64107D7A.jpeg
D429D0AA-F350-4F04-9290-67AF1BB2C763.jpeg
DA97D7AE-2554-46C8-BCFC-5C7F48DDB4E3.jpeg

Last edited:
Need to get the next layer on but conditions not ideal for spraying, the garage is huge so difficult to control the environment.
Luckily I have a couple of decent dehumidifiers (Dri-Eaz RevolutionLGR), 75% humidity in there now. If I can get to 60-65% I can get on with it and add some heat for a few hours to help it dry Initially then onto the coin door area later in the week.
Not confident this will get it low enough as the garage is not air tight but worth a go🤞
7637D3F1-3EDE-4F18-B638-A4F4B43B65AB.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom