What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FlipOut London - My 1st Visit

Andydn

Site Supporter
As the title suggests it was my first visit to FlipOut in Croydon today. A complete noobie to the scene after finally recently purchasing my first pin, I thought I’d visit and play some of the machines I’ll never own.

Warm welcome, Matt directed me to John Lewis for parking (best place to park really and very near by), Clive took my cash and I was in pinball heaven.

Great layout, plenty of machines all well maintained. Highlights for me were Metallica, Iron Maiden, Medievil Madness, Arabian Nights (loved that one). Already thinking what my next pin could be, as I own The Shadow I’d like one less cluttered and with a more open play field - such as Attack From Mars, Bram Stokers Dracula or Junkyard, I really enjoyed all 3 of those!

Anyone considering paying FlipOut a visit you won’t be disappointed,
I’d like to thank the owners of the games for letting me try out thousands of pounds worth or machines for a tenner! Proper bargain.

140e55aa1d56588c612a87f7530f06f3.jpg

Oh and I gave the honest pig a quid for my coffee!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Andy,

Really glad you enjoyed your visit today, hopefully we see you again soon!

Andy,
Good to see you and great to hear you had a good time at flip out.
Always welcome and join us Thursday nights for the monthly league and general play.

Clive

Good for you Andy. I'm planning my first visit soon as well as a trip to special when lit.

I've never played most of those machines either and definitely need to try Medieval Madness as it seems to be the holy grail of pinball.

I’d highly recommend it, there’s games that I was convinced I’d really love (just based on reputation & value) that I ended up not liking at all (Cirquis Voltaire) and some that I’ve seen are quite cheap and not a great theme that I actually really enjoyed (Junk Yard).
It’s made me realise without a doubt, play before you buy!

I’d highly recommend it, there’s games that I was convinced I’d really love (just based on reputation & value) that I ended up not liking at all (Cirquis Voltaire) and some that I’ve seen are quite cheap and not a great theme that I actually really enjoyed (Junk Yard).
It’s made me realise without a doubt, play before you buy!

Yes, I'm afraid that I learnt that the hard way despite everyone's advice. Clearly pinball is a real personal preference.

I went to Bournemouth pier and played Star Wars (Stern). As someone who could probably recite all of the first three films I just expected to love it but I didn't.

They also had a CFTBL which I've always thought looked awesome from afar and I'd convinced myself that it would be a game I'd eventually own. Upon playing it I found much if it to be obstructed from view and thought the playfield was far too cluttered for my liking.

I ended up playing Deadpool instead which I thought was fantastic.

Creech isn't cluttered.. Its cosy! 😃

I'm sure many will like it but the more I play the more I realise that I like a long shot up the playfield. I could actually see similarities with TOM in terms of the ramps but they were just a bit too far down the playfield for me. I also didn't like that big disk obscuring stuff above the right flipper.

It terms or artwork & look it's as good as anything.

If you get a chance, please consider leaving the club a google or trip advisor review. These really help us get greater visability online and promotes the club!

Just registered on Trip Advisor and done a review Matt, it’ll show on there within 24hrs apparently.

I've been 3 or 4 times now, didn't think of leaving a review so I'll try do that soon!

Will be visiting this Sunday [emoji4]

If someone could give me a crash course on nudging that would be great [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Try and make it along on a Thursday evening, we have the league and lots of players that will be happy to show you a few pointers!

Try and make it along on a Thursday evening, we have the league and lots of players that will be happy to show you a few pointers!
Would love to but so unlikely due to my shifts. If I have evenings free it means I'm on earlies and can't travel that way that late as earlies for me start as early as 3am [emoji19]
Only chance is a rest day on a week of lates, but chances of that being on a Thursday make the chances slimmer and even then the other half works evenings permenantly.

Sundays are my flip out days when allowed[emoji4] managed to visit yesterday and had the most fun yet!

I'm sure many will like it but the more I play the more I realise that I like a long shot up the playfield. I could actually see similarities with TOM in terms of the ramps but they were just a bit too far down the playfield for me. I also didn't like that big disk obscuring stuff above the right flipper.

It terms or artwork & look it's as good as anything.

Hope to meet you at some point Gonzo! Plan to be at SWL in December for festive gathering

hell yes this Sunday for the most fun you can have with your clothes on.
[emoji24] After going last Sunday the other half has said she wants to just chill out this Sunday! Booooo!

But fair she does work every day and Sunday is the only full day off.

Looks like my next visit is the 8th of Dec [emoji17]

[emoji24] After going last Sunday the other half has said she wants to just chill out this Sunday! Booooo!

But fair she does work every day and Sunday is the only full day off.

Looks like my next visit is the 8th of Dec [emoji17]

Pinball is the best form of chilling!!!

Hope to meet you at some point Gonzo! Plan to be at SWL in December for festive gathering

100% Ben, I certainly intend to go soon. The Star Trek has really caught my sons imagination so I'm sure he'd like to attend too.

Pinball is the best form of chilling!!!

Yeah usually I'd agree! But it's a two hour trip there and sometimes more back when Dartford tunnel is congested!

While there's an active topic about Flip Out,
Who owns the Road Show there? I assume they're a member on the forum.
Just curious about the tilt sensitivity and if it's normal to be set up like that.

Sometimes I nudge the machine first time , get a warning and a few seconds later it tilts.

I'm still new to pinball and nudging so I dunno if that's normal

I've been 3 or 4 times now, didn't think of leaving a review so I'll try do that soon!

Will be visiting this Sunday [emoji4]

If someone could give me a crash course on nudging that would be great [emoji38]

Nudging vertically is really effective and is less likely to tilt. I'm rubbish. My muscles seem determined to get the machine swaying side to side like it's the high seas. TILT.

The Road Show is mine, but is probably still set up with a tight tilt from the UK Open.

Nudging vertically is really effective and is less likely to tilt.
If the plumb bob is set up correctly, perfectly central within the ring, nudging vertically or horizontally should have exactly the same tolerances.
How tight the leg bolts are done up will also have a bearing on the sensitivity.

There is often an increasing pendulum effect with the bob, especially in multiballs, where only the slightest movement from either side by hitting the flipper button adds to the effect and causes a tilt.

The Road Show is mine, but is probably still set up with a tight tilt from the UK Open.
That would explain it I suppose! So that's what is classed as a 'sensitive' tilt?

I love your Road Show, first machine other than AFM and MM I've really bonded with. Found it frustrating as hell for a while but then got the feel more and more.
I feel like Red and Ted are my friends [emoji23]

Definitely a contender for my first pin when I have the money and room in a years time (hopefully!).

Back
Top Bottom