What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

F I V E days of Pinball, including the UK Open

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
They were set to brutal!

You had to be top of your game to have a fighting chance - which I clearly wasn't last night [emoji3] I think that was the fastest 15 games of pinball I have ever played [emoji23]

Really enjoyed the evening.

Flip Out is such a great venue now - hat tip to all

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Cheers! See you over the weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wednesday was great fun, yesterday not so much!

I'm not sure even "brutal" really conveys just how hard the machines were. I don't think I saw a single mode finished on GoTG, WD scores in the final were less than 20M!

I guess at least the qualifying sessions at the weekend should run on time!

The set-up of the machines is a tough balance. They need to be at an international competition standard for the UK Open and with a large turn out last night we were concerned that 15 games for 50 people would over run.

The machines at the club are usally set up for enjoyment first, these competitions are the exception rather than the rule.

The set-up of the machines is a tough balance. They need to be at an international competition standard for the UK Open and with a large turn out last night we were concerned that 15 games for 50 people would over run.

The machines at the club are usally set up for enjoyment first, these competitions are the exception rather than the rule.

Agree Matt! It’s useful to experience a competition like this really enjoyed it despite the tough difficulty setting posting a couple of good scores in the process.

Bring on tomorrow and the rest of the weekend.

Agree Matt! It’s useful to experience a competition like this really enjoyed it despite the tough difficulty setting posting a couple of good scores in the process.

Bring on tomorrow and the rest of the weekend.

Don't forget Tim and Nick may be out on the town tonight if you are staying over - they are members at some Karaoke place.

Don't forget Tim and Nick may be out on the town tonight if you are staying over - they are members at some Karaoke place.

I’m overnight in Croydon On Saturday anyone up for this then (after 10:30pm which is when my uk open qualifying spot ends)

I’m at the premier inn town centre hotel too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m overnight in Croydon On Saturday anyone up for this then (after 10:30pm which is when my uk open qualifying spot ends)

I’m at the premier inn town centre hotel too!

Yes, Tim and Nick will also be available Saturday. They are so cool.

I thought WD was a tough game normally, but that one is insanely hard! I guess all good practice, will see how tomorrow goes!

email sent with all the details for the finals...

hell yes over 500 games of pinball!

That turned out to be quite an interesting group! 6 players on 5 wins. 3 qualify for finals, the other 3 do not.
How were ties split for that group of death?!

Sent this to Neil by email huge thanks to him and the team for making this happen!

Hi Neil

Thanks so much for helping to arrange a great 5 days of pinball event. It was great fun with opportunity to play against some top players in the pinball world.

Hopefully flip out members will get the chance to play some of your games before they go back to your place. We have the tournament at yours in September so that should also be fun too!

It’s a shame the news cup didn’t get off the ground and this weekend.

See you again soon
Ben

Been a brilliant few days - thanks so much to all the Flip Out crew for a heroic job - and all you crazy kids that took part in the madness.
Much fun. Much tired. Much.

Congrats to Roberto Pedroni and Craig Pullen who won the main and classics respectively.

And thanks for all the comments about how hard the games were - that’s exactly what we were aiming for. This isn’t your local league this was the UK Championships ! :D

It allowed us to get through an immense amount of pinball. If you look on the bracket some players played over 6 hours of pinball as the double elimination took effect. Craig Pullen started playing at 08:00 and didn’t stop until 20:00! @mission65 also played tons of pinball and took a few big scalps!

When I volunteered to be TD my hope was that we would have an epic set of matches and there is no doubt we did - in the classics, in the main and even in the qualifying!

We have things we can improve upon also, eg the classics games didn’t play as well as they should have done and this was frustrating for some players.

Watch out for our feedback survey we we want your input to make our events even better.

But at Flip Out we are feeling proud - we delivered what we said we would. The biggest tournament in the UK, with the best games and a HUGE amount of pinball!

Cheers
Neil.

Congrats to Roberto Pedroni and Craig Pullen who won the main and classics respectively.

And thanks for all the comments about how hard the games were - that’s exactly what we were aiming for. This isn’t your local league this was the UK Championships ! :D

It allowed us to get through an immense amount of pinball. If you look on the bracket some players played over 6 hours of pinball as the double elimination took effect. Craig Pullen started playing at 08:00 and didn’t stop until 20:00! @mission65 also played tons of pinball and took a few big scalps!

When I volunteered to be TD my hope was that we would have an epic set of matches and there is no doubt we did - in the classics, in the main and even in the qualifying!

We have things we can improve upon also, eg the classics games didn’t play as well as they should have done and this was frustrating for some players.

Watch out for our feedback survey we we want your input to make our events even better.

But at Flip Out we are feeling proud - we delivered what we said we would. The biggest tournament in the UK, with the best games and a HUGE amount of pinball!

Cheers
Neil.

Thanks again Neil! A very different pinball playing experience; not your average Thursday night pinball league session.

Next time I wonder if the never drains software can be used for us to record electronically a win or loss for the open qualifying games? This may have saved you valuable time entering our results after each session.

Also never drains software could be used to record Thursday night league Games as we play them! We have our player log ins now and would save Matt and the team the task of manually putting in the scores which we can do ourselves and see standings that week being updated in real time too!

Please let me know what you think.

Ben

A huge thanks to the organisers for all your hard work I had a great 3 days , I personally on the whole thought the event went very smoothly, and I had a blast meeting so many fun people, many new and also the Uk hardcore.Great chatting in between sessions and going thru our top punk and ska tunes with Richard and crew :) .

A big shout has to go out to Neil for working non stop like a Trojan not only for the comps, but all the issues behind the scenes and stepping up to the plate again and again, and having to make decisions I wouldn’t want to call, great job.

Also watching the finals was awesome for me seeing first hand some of the top European players battling it out for the top spots, and the last game on Ac/Dc was nerve racking for me never mind Roberto and Craig 👍,

Thanks Flip Out and here’s hoping we do it all again next year

Best thing about the Five Days of Pinball is seeing all the awesome people we have in the UK Pinball Community

A lot of laughs were had from @Nickoss II singing Barbie Girl at 3am in the morning to @mission65 and everyone singing outside the club some ska classics!

Games were set really hard, which some liked and some didn't but I think if that is the standard set by PAPA and IFPA we should really be aiming towards those standards

I felt it helped me as a player learning to improve on the quality of my saves etc! And good prep for a lot of us heading over to Pinburgh this week!!!

It was my first visit to Flip Out and wow those guys are doing a great job creating a class venue

Last of all massive thanks to @Neil McRae! The amount of work put in to running the comps was unbelievable

Echo all of the above. What a fantastic event!

Huge thank you to @Neil McRae for putting on a spectacular tournament. I really can't think of any criticism which goes to show how much hard work went into this.

Personally my best ever finish and really learnt a lot from the format and setup of these games. They were BRUTAL. No ball save also completely changes your style of play.

Great final and congrats to @roadshow16 for winning the classics and 2nd in the open.

Good luck to all going to Pinburgh and bring home the bacon for the Brits!

I really enjoyed Wednesday, with a bit more urgency between games might have got top 10. Not so much fun Thursday as it was such a shock. I do still think Neil enjoyed my anguish on stream a little too much!

Saturday was brilliant, managing to tie 2nd in qualifying was way better than I'd expected. After spending ages telling everyone no-one completes modes or gets to Groot MB on GoTG, I managed to have the game of my life completing two modes, Orb and Groot to end up with 229M which on that bastard of a GoTG was my best moment of the weekend. Just a shame I didn't play as well on Sunday, and got finally knocked out on TAF, after being congratulated on winning, with elation turning to dejection in the space of a monster bonus.

Josh played amazingly well, topping a tough group. Though that didn't turn out so well for him on Sunday as he met Roberto in his first game and then Craig in the loser bracket, but at least he got a long lie in and won on Star Trek with a great score, despite apparently picking all the wrong modes!

Having adjusted to the machines, I really enjoyed the weekend. It was great to see so many top class players and noticing the little things they are doing constantly to affect the ball (and the big moving the machine a mile to save a drain without tilting). I think we both learnt a lot.

Tucks semi-final comeback on TAF was great to watch, and the final was awesome. Craig's domination of Dialled In (a 'banker' game if ever there was one) and then Roberto surprising everyone by not picking Avatar and then proceed to justify that choice by ripping the jackpots on both ramps with two balls on AC/DC was a great way to end.

Congrats to Neil and the whole Flip Out team :)

Thank you for this great event. It was a weekend full of fun and really nice people.

Compliment to Neil for the perfect organised tournaments. Thanks to the rest of the team for keeping it all running and a good atmosphere.

I hope to come back next year and maybe Cactus Canyon will be in the free play area. ;)

Cheers
Thomas

Back
Top Bottom