What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Energy prices - gone nuts.

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
Has your neighbor got an Electric car? All these cheap night rate tariffs require you to own a EV from what iv found.
Yes he has 2 Nissan leafs and is already on the tarif.
Thing is when I went on the tarif they didn’t want proof even though I do have an EV.

Interesting col. how much do these 11kwh batteries cost and how big are they??
They not that big TBH and mine sit in the loft.
The master is about 4ft h - 2.5ft w - 1ft d
The slave 2.5h with same dimensions above and sits in front of the master but could easily be alongside depending on space.

They not that big TBH and mine sit in the loft.
The master is about 4ft h - 2.5ft w - 1ft d
The slave 2.5h with same dimensions above and sits in front of the master but could easily be alongside depending on space.
Still wanna see some pics of these beast's as they did sound different to my install :)

I could call up and ask to switch but what if they ask about the ev what would you say lol??

I could call up and ask to switch but what if they ask about the ev what would you say lol??
"Yes". If they then ask for registration documents say you just bought it and haven't got them through yet. And if they keep asking, hang up!

Not really getting on with my Tado values, They are fantastic and super easy to install. But I find we just have every room hot in this house most of the time so they are sorta pointless for our household. I basically just use them to see room temperatures lol.

Will offer the system here first before I toss on fleBay

Everything included in the cart probably 4 weeks old (was purchased directly from Tado.com) :D £700
will cover x13 radiators.

1671634821900.png

Already got mine - Work perfectly for me...

You did calibrate each with a thermometer in each room???

Already got mine - Work perfectly for me...

You did calibrate each with a thermometer in each room???
They work perfect, We just tend to have all radiators on so no room is cold so they are basically just all set to be on all the time. Not taking advantage of the schedule etc.. I use a nest as the boiler thermostat so they don't control this, they was just stand alone via the app schedule. We just don't take advantage of all the features they have really :( which is a shame as they are super cool :)

I use a nest as the boiler thermostat so they don't control this, they was just stand alone via the app schedule.
Ahh.. i ripped a nest out to replace with these.. "learning" didnt learn very well (and a little pointless now i spend most of my time Working from home), and also no facility to be able to control anything (there's no Thermostatic Valves etc or bolt-one with the nest)....

Ahh.. i ripped a nest out to replace with these.. "learning" didnt learn very well (and a little pointless now i spend most of my time Working from home), and also no facility to be able to control anything (there's no Thermostatic Valves etc or bolt-one with the nest)....
Yeah i just bought the next for like £180 so did not want to rip out straight away hehe, I created a nest schedule which basically matched the Tado one, But found even though my room heated fast (with just that rad open) once i turned boiler off it cooled down quite quick so had to turn back on again to keep warm. Just using a 300w heater seamed to be far more efficient for me working from home. And in morning / evening all rads are basically on anyway for everyone. Just dint suit our house really :(

Hi All, watching this thread with interest. We do some business with manufacturers in China and one of them sent a solar price list over, i would like to say i know nothing about these things or how competitive they are or what tax implications are. However if anyone is interested in the pricing i can upload it for you. They are not grid tied systems of course but maybe the battery pricing is of interest.

Drew

Hi All, watching this thread with interest. We do some business with manufacturers in China and one of them sent a solar price list over, i would like to say i know nothing about these things or how competitive they are or what tax implications are. However if anyone is interested in the pricing i can upload it for you. They are not grid tied systems of course but maybe the battery pricing is of interest.

Drew
Yes please.

Here you go, let me know what you think price wise

Drew

Attachments

• Price List of Solar Power Products 2023.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 27
i'm still trying to workout if the electric these things use is cheaper then the gas you would use on a boiler + the 12k hit lol

i'm still trying to workout if the electric these things use is cheaper then the gas you would use on a boiler + the 12k hit lol

I'd say not looking at the gas vs leccy here without even factoring in the initial unit cost. I am mostly using my 2 AC units as heat pumps and heating 2 rooms only. Works out cheaper than gas heating so far.

I would likely say not at the moment what with 40%+ of our electric being produced by burning gas forcing up the wholesale price for everything including renewables and Nuclear.

The only way they would be cheaper to run is if the price per KWh for gas and electric was the same as they will always be more efficient in converting a KWh of energy to Heat than even the most efficient gas boiler in an ideal scenario.

The only thing making them affordable is the incentives for getting them installed and using them there are at the moment.

Not entirely sure how they stack up against things like Night Storage Heaters and Economy Seven as when the temperature outside drops they become less efficient so need to run for longer to keep the house heated up.

The should be really efficient in Summer though to heat up a water cylinder as they have their best efficiency then and work really well with Solar, so say if you needed to make 4.5KWh of Solar energy to heat up your water cylinder with an Immersion you would probably only need about 1KWh via a heat pump

I would likely say not at the moment what with 40%+ of our electric being produced by burning gas forcing up the wholesale price for everything including renewables and Nuclear.

The only way they would be cheaper to run is if the price per KWh for gas and electric was the same as they will always be more efficient in converting a KWh of energy to Heat than even the most efficient gas boiler in an ideal scenario.

The only thing making them affordable is the incentives for getting them installed and using them there are at the moment.

Not entirely sure how they stack up against things like Night Storage Heaters and Economy Seven as when the temperature outside drops they become less efficient so need to run for longer to keep the house heated up.

The should be really efficient in Summer though to heat up a water cylinder as they have their best efficiency then and work really well with Solar, so say if you needed to make 4.5KWh of Solar energy to heat up your water cylinder with an Immersion you would probably only need about 1KWh via a heat pump
I agree, My solar heats my immersion in the summer so it sorts our hot water for us. At this moment in time I don't think the upfront cost is justified on these things (for me)
Solar on the other hand is doing really well. I have my direct debit set to just £50 now and that + the exporting during summer and going into bit of energy debt over winter covers me perfectly. Certainly better than what I would be paying on todays rates without it.

Solar installed yesterday! Looking good so far.
Waiting for DNO certificate to go through then I can change the tarrif.
Is it worth going on an eco7 tariff like col was saying so I can charge the battery in the evening at a cheaper rate like Col was suggesting or will the on peak cost go up and outweigh the saving?

On gas i read the wholesale price is coming down to £1.70ish a therm so that should drop in april?

Screenshot_20230126_114524_SolaxCloud.jpg

Reactions: PAX
For Economy 7 the day rate is usually a lot higher than the standard rate, I also believe that where most peoples rate has stayed the same on the current cap/guarantee Economy 7 customers bill have gone up since the 1st of January, by how much I dont know.

To see if it was any cheaper for yourself you would need to work out if you could avoid the higher rate as much as possible to offset the saving on the lower rate.

Also what size is your battery as looking at your image your producing 2300watts from Solar but only putting 1235w into your battery and exporting the other excess 1070w, which to me is wasted money as you get less back for feed in than you would save by storing in the battery and using it.

Yeah why is that exporting to the grid? Usually the inverter will first cover home use then put all excess into the battery and once that’s 100% start exporting. I’d wouldn’t expect to see it exporting there?

Also home load looks quite low for day time unless you don’t have much running at all. Could the clamp be on wrong cable and it’s actually the home using 1kw not 100w?

Yeah not too sure about that. It was only installed yesterday and not had much chance to look into the settings. I guess that can be adjusted in the inverter settings?

I would say the clamps are right as the inverter will work on what it thinks is the export amount to adjust how much it puts into the battery.

If you've only got a small battery say 2.4Kwh that battery power would match up as it would be limited to about 0.5c (capacity) for charge rate to improve the life of the battery, if you have a larger battery of several smaller modules paralleled I would say its a setting thats not correct, either on the inverter or on the batteries themselves.

I'm currently looking in to solar / battery storage, so far spoken with two (allegedly, hmm) reputable companies...

Had a couple of quotations do far...
a) 18 panels (8.1Kw) + 3 batteries (total 15.3Kw) = £22,500
b) 20 panels (8.9Kw) + 2? batteries (total 12Kw) = 25,225

Option a totally dismissed batteries as viable, even though THEY suggested the house is empty all day! They also dismissed feed in tariff as they are so small its not worth bothering about! Also dismissed panels on the south facing side of the house as they would only fit 3-5 panels on there its not worth it due to the scaffolding costs (which were a surprisingly low £190 to scaffold the two areas they suggested fitting panels).

Option b suggested batteries, charge them at night on an off peak tariff and use that energy during the day, 'however charging my EV and storage batteries would be slow as there wouldn't be sufficient supply to the house to do this'!!!! My EV charges at 32A, he couldn't tell me what the storage batteries charge at, 'but it will be too much!' The house is 100A incoming, so just more 'Solar Salesman BS' I fear. Also suggested, and this is where it seems laughable to me, 'fit a small system so I don't have to get a certificate', 'no thanks mate, my annual usage is higher than average, 'surely a larger system than average would be more suitable?' to which he then (chance of sale diminishing) agreed and suggested the above. Also suggested at one point fitting 17 panels on the NORTH side of the garage/games room roof, this surprised me, I suggested surely the 7-8 on the south side of the roof + 3-5 on the south side of the house roof would be better and more cost effective. Apparently you CAN'T fit the panels to any more than two aspects, when I asked why he explained 'reasons'! Grrrr, sounds like some lazy ****d reason here to me, however he wouldn't elaborate.

I asked both about the Tesla batteries / tariff, both rolled their eyes, then given lots of excuses rather than reasons as to why, the purchase of Twitter was sited as a reason NOT to use these batteries! Yes really!

So my questions....

Can anyone give any advise on panels on multi roof faces?
Can anyone recommend any companies who operate within the North West.
Are Solar salesmen(salespeople) just the new double glazing nightmare?

Chris.

Hi Chris
Sounds like a hefty system. I have a 6.2kw system and 5.8kw battery. I work from home so struggling with fully charging the battery in the day (Only had it a week and its been pretty cloudy though!). But if you go on one of these low rate tariffs at night then it could work better.
You're not far from me. I used a company called 'My energy Solutions'. They did a google earth quote first then once I shown interest they came out and did a survey. Everyone was really informative from admin, to designer, to installers. It was a competitive quote and others that were quoting the same system came out at £2k+. Also if you drop my name I get a bonus depending on your system!
I got loads of quotes but only got these out to the house.
As for the roof it sounds like its a bit of tripe they're spinning you but i'm not solar expert.
Hope this helps

You will struggle this time of year, but come summer it will be charged by 11am with your system :D

I'm currently looking in to solar / battery storage, so far spoken with two (allegedly, hmm) reputable companies...

Had a couple of quotations do far...
a) 18 panels (8.1Kw) + 3 batteries (total 15.3Kw) = £22,500
b) 20 panels (8.9Kw) + 2? batteries (total 12Kw) = 25,225

Option a totally dismissed batteries as viable, even though THEY suggested the house is empty all day! They also dismissed feed in tariff as they are so small its not worth bothering about! Also dismissed panels on the south facing side of the house as they would only fit 3-5 panels on there its not worth it due to the scaffolding costs (which were a surprisingly low £190 to scaffold the two areas they suggested fitting panels).

Option b suggested batteries, charge them at night on an off peak tariff and use that energy during the day, 'however charging my EV and storage batteries would be slow as there wouldn't be sufficient supply to the house to do this'!!!! My EV charges at 32A, he couldn't tell me what the storage batteries charge at, 'but it will be too much!' The house is 100A incoming, so just more 'Solar Salesman BS' I fear. Also suggested, and this is where it seems laughable to me, 'fit a small system so I don't have to get a certificate', 'no thanks mate, my annual usage is higher than average, 'surely a larger system than average would be more suitable?' to which he then (chance of sale diminishing) agreed and suggested the above. Also suggested at one point fitting 17 panels on the NORTH side of the garage/games room roof, this surprised me, I suggested surely the 7-8 on the south side of the roof + 3-5 on the south side of the house roof would be better and more cost effective. Apparently you CAN'T fit the panels to any more than two aspects, when I asked why he explained 'reasons'! Grrrr, sounds like some lazy ****d reason here to me, however he wouldn't elaborate.

I asked both about the Tesla batteries / tariff, both rolled their eyes, then given lots of excuses rather than reasons as to why, the purchase of Twitter was sited as a reason NOT to use these batteries! Yes really!

So my questions....

Can anyone give any advise on panels on multi roof faces?
Can anyone recommend any companies who operate within the North West.
Are Solar salesmen(salespeople) just the new double glazing nightmare?

Chris.
Deffo don’t go with those installers…. Who were they?

First one sounds like they arent MCS accredited if they say dont bother with feed in tarrif, even at a few pence per KWh is still incoming money, but installers need to be MCS accredited to give you a certificate to get the feed in tarriff, although its not called that anymore, its something like Guaranteed Export.

With my roughly 3.8KW output System (3.4KW and 1.2KW of panels) I exported roughly 800KWh to the grid and thats after battery storage and Immersion heater divert, with a bigger system you would get more export, and even at 5p per KWH thats £40 thats better in your pocket that nothing at all, sadly mine was DIY so cant get the export payments.

Putting Panels on a North facing roof does still work quite well in summer as they still generate from ambiant light, I have panels on my garage that are south-south-west and north-north-east facing, the 5 on the north side are 1.7KW and during the brighter days in summer I got over 1.5KW of output from them, but they are always going to work better angled towards the sun.

Both those prices seem crazy to me though, quoting for 445w and 450w panels, even buying myself direct 20x panels is only going to cost about £4000, not sure on the battery costs but cant see an inverter and that level of sotrage being more than £10,000 so the mounting and installation costs seem excessive. Possibly companies are starting to take the **** a bit with the current demand.

Also saw this video on YT recently, a warning to be aware of.

Back
Top Bottom