What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Elvira-HOH Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
Yeah. More code šŸ„³

I got absolutely zero reply about the VUK problem from stern though which is pretty poor customer service.

It was a simple thing about colour changing.

Dave - this is one of sterns best games - maybe not the most challenging but itā€™s not easy either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This guy from HurryUp Pinball shows some Elvira HoH fixes including the Crypt Kicker problem. He also mentions reducing the coil power setting to 200.

Thanks. I saw that but thatā€™s a different problem to mine. His kicker is too strong. I think mine is so misaligned it means the ball just bobs up and down for 30s or so and the modes time out.

im assuming the ball is meant to travel over the play field and hit the targets. 9/10 times mine eventually just dribbled out.

Lol yeah sorry 9pm :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

New code!

V0.98.0 - Jul. 23, 2020
=======================

- Reprocessed deadhead audio to exclude large amounts of trailing silence
that was blocking follow-up speech requests.
- Added Clown (deadhead) to the Deadhead Family Crypt.
- Added Double Header (deadhead) to the Deadhead Family Crypt.
- Added more video clips to DRIVE ME CRAZY for background and loop shots.
- Added lamp effects for DIRECTOR'S CUT start, shots, and levels.
- Fixed a bug with the Elvira popups that was causing requests to fail.
- Added lamp effects for DRIVE ME CRAZY.
- Turn off CRYPT VUK ball save for COMPETITION mode.
- Added a new setting to allow/disallow the crypt VUK ball saver during
multiball (default is NO, do not allow).
- Changed scoring for DRIVE ME CRAZY (increased the base, made increments
based on the number of deadheads banished, and increased the score for
each loop shot made).
- Added laughter and speech to the start of DRIVE ME CRAZY.
- Added extra scoring for each SKELETON KEY collected for the sneak-in
behind the left loop.
- Added a way to save and cancel changes to the score color in the main
UI (via the color editor). Added a way to restore the colors to the
default (factory) Implemented exit dialog with EXIT/SAVE+EXIT/CANCEL.
- Update player score colors after they are edited instead of only at
power-up or at the start of a new ball. This allows the colors to be
edited in the middle of a game.
- Randomize ramp dome flashing in attract mode.
- Shaved some time off of the attack combo timer for THE WEREWOLF OF
WASHINGTON. Increased the scores for the attack combos.
- Changed initials and names for some HSTD.
- Cleaned up background messages for TEENAGERS FROM OUTER SPACE. Added
text to describe the spinner bonus a bit better. Increased scoring for
spinner.
- Added video clips, sounds, lamp effects, scoring for the top lane skill
shot.
- Added new lamp effects, sounds, and music for trailer trash.
- Added pop-up for TEENAGERS FROM OUTER SPACE (old cave).
- Added sounds to game start effect.
- Fixed a stale frame glitch at game start where a frame of an old video
is displayed.
- Restore score frame player score colors at game start (the match effect
may have changed then to white).
- Added lamp effects to thunder sounds when the ball is in the shooter
lane.
- Added shaker effects to thunder/lightning storm (maximal use only).
- Added additional stage to TEENAGERS FROM OUTER SPACE (cave).
- Extended lamp effects for WILD WOMEN MULTIBALL super jackpot (explosion).
- Adjust EQ and volume for several sounds, speech, and music.

Stern really do need to up their game regarding quality control. I didnā€™t even get a holding email back from when I asked them if their were known issues with the VUK. I absolutely love the game but just groan everytime I hit the crypt by mistake as I know itā€™s going to take so long to eventually spit it out.

letā€™s hope the new code is good though. Itā€™s a real positive that they are updating games.

Vuk works fine but I did have to put all the screws back in the crypt motor and arm that have fallen out. Spring washer would have prevented it, its not rocket science Stern.

VUK needs moving. Look on the Elvira pinside club for details.
Did you do this sucessfully? I have seen advice about bending the VUK support bracket to line up the plunger better, and also to use a ball grinder to hollow out the plunger. Anyone got any advice on what works best?

from what I can see moving it is the only option that really works. I've not looked to see if mine needs to be moved yet.

Neil. Trust me if you needed to move your VUK you would know about it.

Stern need to come out with a proper solution rather than relying on customers to bodge something together.

Well decided to fix the Evira HoH VUK today as I'm fed up with not having a properly working system. Instead of kicking the ball out onto the targets opposite the VUK attempts to eject the ball three or four times before succeeding and getting it to dribble out and usually drain SDTM. I looked at a couple of fixes on YouTube which involved bending the bracket or using a ball grinder to make a cup shaped divot in the end of the VUK's poker thingy. Bending didn't work, and I don't have a ball grinder.

So I decided to go with the advice on the Elvira HoH thread on pinside post #3199, and 20 minutes later I have a fully working VUK!

First I took the poster's advice and took all three screws out by the edge of the playfield, as well as one of the ones up near the coil, and moved the VUK downwards until I could put the top right screw back in but not through the bracket, with a washer to hold the bracket in place.

elvirahoh1.jpg

Testing that showed that the ball now shoots out a treat.

Then I put the bracket back in the original position and shoved matchsticks down the three screwholes by the edge of the playfield to take any movement in the wood when pilot holes where drilled, and returned the bracket to the modified postition and put the screw with the washer back in to hold it in place. Then I drilled three short pilot holes through the holes in the bracket in its new position into the bottom of the playfield.

Then I screwed the three screws back in through the bracket into the pilot holes, starting with the bottom one, and it seems to be sorted!

hoh1.JPG

hoh3.JPG

The VUK now ejects hard at the trunk targets - so hard in fact that I have reduced the power of the VUK coil from 255 to 225.

vuk.JPG

Shouldn't have to drill holes in a new machine, but it does sort the problem and easy enough that even I can do it. Here's my machine's VUK now...

Iā€™m nervous about doing this in case I majorly **** it up.

Guess I better source a washer though and have a bash as it looks like a game changer.

I still think the after sale care Stern have demonstrated with this is shocking.

Iā€™m nervous about doing this in case I majorly **** it up.

Guess I better source a washer though and have a bash as it looks like a game changer.

I still think the after sale care Stern have demonstrated with this is shocking.

John this is really really easy to do - On a scale of 1 to 10 itā€™s a level 2 difficulty.

All you need is a washer, a couple of match sticks, and a drill with a small drill bit.

You canā€™t really *** it up because if it all goes Pete Tong you can just put everything back in the original position and any holes you have drilled will be covered up. Just donā€™t drill the pilot holes more than a few mm deep to be sure you donā€™t go right through the play field!

Back
Top Bottom