What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Electric Circus Update - excuse the LONG post

Sorry to hear Steve, I popped by for the first time a couple of months back and had a great time getting to play machines I've not had much of chance playing down here in the south west.

I'm in a similar position myself with the lease of our arcade 'about-to-be-turned-into-residential-flats' industrial unit now coming to an end and having not yet found a new venue to move to, and wondering if all the financial pressure is worth the hassle. I also venue hunted in Birmingham, some of the railway arch units around places in Digbeth back in 2010 when it was quiet. I waivered a bit not making any decision and then everything got snapped up and a hipster explosion occurred. That's when I learned not to dither around when selecting a location.

We opened in 2020, and immediately closed again until re-opening summer 2021, which certainly was a real challenge. Plus I never got round to installing a bar and completing the kitchen as intended due to not knowing what the future held and being reluctant to commit further expenditure.

I can see there being demand for arcades and we have a lot of grateful customers telling us they're happy to have us open but I can see with my own eyes that the footfall in our location is nothing like it once was in 2019, and things are definitely starting to tail off again. Would I say it's worthwhile keeping a venue running or opening a new one? I'm not 100% sure although I'm willing to look for a smaller venue and focus more on pinballs as we've only got six tables at the moment and most of our cabs are the staple barcade selection of video games.

While the pinballs aren't the most played of all our machines, they do generate the most 'first time' experiences for our customers who have largely never played pinball before, and that's always satisfying to watch. Seeing people become addicted to machines they've never seen in real life, machines made decades before they were born, like I guess we all were once captivated in our youths - that gives me a sense of achievement in opening an arcade.

So I can recommend opening a place for that, I don't think it'll make you rich though. I know that the barcades that do well only ever see machines as a secondary concern, as the lure to get people in through the door. Once people get in then the drinks, loud waffling and standing in front of the machines and not actually playing them takes over. And that's not a place I'de ever like to run personally, that's the business model to get the venture capital money guys in.

It would be nice to see this country get a pinball museum up and running, it'll need some rich benefactor though as the cost of commercial space in this country is ridiculous, specially down here in the south. It will always be tied to land cost, which will always be ruled by residential and the ever only upwards rise. Councils don't give a flying eff about commercial units now, they're in it for the student, co-living and luxury flats.

Whatever happens I wish you all the best.

Steve J, Boneyard Arcade.

The one thing that strikes me about this is how irresponsible the government is. Interest rates are going up to stop spending/inflation. However what used to drive the uk economy was spending!

For the shops, restaurants, bars etc. they are being completely forgotten about in this cycle of boom and bust and believe you me the government are pulling the strings on this..

Unfortunately I never made it Nuneaton. Always wanted to visit the venue. Such a shame you are closing. I think the future may be in a warehouse setup or a lot smaller venue with memberships. Like a gym etc. Tie folk up for a year..

Very sorry to hear this Steve. You gave it one hell of a go and that took enormous courage and effort.

I am involved in a village hall. Our electricity bills have sky rocketed too - the margin on booze seems the only way to keep many leisure/ events businesses in the black.

I am very sorry to hear Steve. You and Courtney have done an amazing job with the Electric Circus, bringing pinball to the masses and I'm gutted it didn't work out for you. 😢

I do feel partly responsible... from the stages of ownership thread... 🤔
erm...

7. Rent a local industrial unit and fill then struggle to find space for even more machines... :eek:
and...
Having gone WELL past pinball ownership stage 6 , this year stage 7 became inevitable

“7. Rent a local industrial unit and fill then struggle to find space for even more machines... ” Moonraker

So this year I have bitten the bullet and took on commercial space. Looking at tomb stoned and de-capitated games everyday and only getting to play one set up at home or when machines were at events was not an ideal situation.

Arcade games are meant to be played after all.

At Special When Lit we've been very lucky to attract new visitors due to Spencer's nice words on @Gonzo 's podcast and haven't yet been hit with new electric charges (which I'm not looking forward to)!

If l could find a commercial unit l could probably make it work but I've been looking since November and it's very thin on the ground around here and if l move away I have to start the customer base from scratch .

Steve I’ve known you a long time since you had yr house n sheds in Erdyington and you’ve achieved more than a lot of folks even dream of.
At the end of the day yr health comes first and I can’t see there being pinballs in heaven but I wish you all the very best whatever yr next move is. 🙏

Absolutely gutted to hear this Steve. I've only been into pinball the last few years but I've always really enjoyed visiting EC. Fingers crossed you are able to keep the dream alive in some way. ❤️

Very sad news to hear, coronation event was my first visit to EC and I absolutely loved it, and am very much looking forward to giving it a proper pinballers send off at the end of the month. All the very best for what comes next!

This is a real shame. I remembered this morning that EC was my first ever taste of real pinball, almost a couple of years ago now. I walked in with a pocket full of 50ps and left absolutely obsessed with Godzilla, having spent probably £8 of my £10 on that alone, grinning like an idiot.

I now make sure to visit for the Tuesday league every few months when I'm in the area. What a lovely local crowd! And the likes of Steve's birthday tournament, and the coronation tournament, have both been excellent events. It's like a mini (but not even particularly 'mini') pinfest, with half the players in the UK turning up.

So thank you Steve, best of luck with whatever you do next, look after yourself!

Steve, you should b very proud to have achieved your dream of opening an arcade. A lot of us would love to be able to do this but are not in a position to do so and/or don't have the balls so huge credit for giving it a go.

Very sad to hear that you're having to close and I'm sure you're frustrated that without the over reaction to the virus and consequent inflation as a result of the furlough scheme you would probably have been able to survive.

I hope you're able to do something else in the future. Hopefully be able to make it to send off the Electric Circus on 30th.

So very, very sad to read the news today, Steve, although not entirely surprised after the conversation we had where you described the economics and effects of the local competition you faced.

Huge congratulations for achieving so much for so long, though. I know many of us have dreamed of opening our own 'barcade' but never had the means, the courage or the opportunity to try it. Kudos to you for actually doing it.

We've known each other since the POA days and I still remember turning up at that arcade near you to take the Judge Dredd of yours I'd just bought straight off the arcade floor and into my van. Shame you remembered at the very last minute to empty the cash box. :D

I'm sure you won't be able to resist the temptation to start the next chapter of your pinball operating story.

Pinball was created and has always remained a source of 'cheap' entertainment. However pinball itself is now anything but cheap, and the machines' income has never been enough to sustain a location by itself. The situation in the UK now is especially tough in many ways.

Your post only emphasises the need to support the venues we currently have, least we lose more.

Take care of yourself and I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Martin.

Stand proud Steve. Takes kahunas to do what you've done.

You mentioned the events disappearing too. I can certainly relate to that and understand why. The spiralling costs. Yet the punters expect the ticket price to be the same. Pitchforks are out even at a couple of quid rise. Literally everything has gone up in price.

EGX alone used to cover a years maintenance . now they cant "budget" for the arcade machines anymore despite acknowledging their popularity. 4 days of VERY hard work for us and the machines but worth it. COVID - the pain in the **** that keeps on giving.

Sorry to hear about this Steve.
Never visited to play but got my first machine from you the day before lockdown (DH).
Hope it works out for you whatever you decide to do.

I think Steve is one of the all time heroes for the UK, the same small elite as the likes of Mr Palmer and Bob Thompson. Without them uk pinball would be very very different. Look at all the things you've done steve and be proud. Business is hard these days and if it makes you feel any better its not just hospitality thats hard work. Electronics supply and manufacturing continues to be a minefield, lack of & reduction of parts, ridiculous lead times, often >300% cost increases on hard to get items, huge shipping increases. Stress levels are through the roof! Any business that says its not effected this year is delusional!!

I know one thing for sure though, i owe you alot because without your wonderful adds in the pinball player magazine all those years ago, i would not have bought my first game (bk2000). And that really did kickstart it all for me!!

To quote foo fighters, "Done, done, and on to the next one !" :) I hope to see what comes next

Steve,

Really upset to hear this news. Having discovered EC existed one week before lockdown, I was breaking my neck to return to work in Tamworth afterwards.
Everyone from work that I have brought in on days we were stopping over has loved it. Like a poster above says, the feeling of watching someone discover pinball for the first time where they 'get it' is amazing.
I now have people telling others about it - but obviously we are but a few occasional visitors. :(

Health and family is everything - I'd like to say that my journey into the pinball community, and the people I have met have truly helped my wellbeing over the past few years. Electric Circus has played a significant part in that, so thank you Steve.

I hope something materialises that suits what you would wish to do next. I can't offer a much other than a willing pair of hands, & enthusiasm, but should you ever find either useful, please reach out.

(I'm now hoping where I work is locked in to some long term lease for a place they can't use...)

Best Wishes to you and the team, and thanks again.

Steve.

That is the pits. I hope it’s not affected you too much. Here’s hoping something more manageable comes along. Thanks for the machines and parts through the years. Pete

Sad news indeed.

Side note. Was at The Arkade in Minehead recently. Only 3 Pinballs switched on. The others had signs that read something like "This machine is working but switched off to save Electricity. If you would like to play it then please contact a member of staff"

Side note 2. Office staff still want their lights on during the day. Makes you wonder if they turned their own lights on if working from home.....

Steve, Good luck for the future.

Dave

So sad to hear this Steve.

As many have said you are a legend in this community and your efforts to spread The Word and love of pinball are admirable.

Although you were duped and I gave you a bum steer on it your support for Arcade Hub during its brief existence demonstrates how passionate about keeping the hobby alive and how caring and supportive you are for other similar (at least on the face of it) ventures as Electric Circus.

If I lived closer I would definitely have frequented your place more instead of just visiting to pick up or drop off machines.

I hope you can at least make some money from renting to private individuals which will allow you to keep more of your machines rather than having to sell them all.

Good luck with your future endeavours.

It not really the pins that rack up the power it's heating and cooling (beer cellar) . The pinball income dropped the least: by 50% pre covid . The bar 75% the bandits 90%
We were seen as an expensive pub .
Having the arcade unmanned meant a lot of people snuck in there own drinks. £1.20 a can of pop obviously extortionate.

the arcade, stage, Courtneys collectibles had NO interest to the majority of our customers
They just prefer the Spoons

At the end of the day Steve would you start again from scratch? All of us are getting older, and not as healthy.

Pubs can make money today - but most the profit is food. Live music is sadly on its way down - the top venues are surviving but the gigs I play now it is £8-£15 to get in.

Pubs also are not a great business model in 2023.

If I had to start again - I think the best thing to do is what Retroids have done. Go to a more well off area. Have a smaller place. Serve craft beers - put in arcade machines and a few pins, and rent out rooms upstairs to tatooists.

Power/heat/lighting are of course a massive expense. That is going to be the same wherever you go.

Good luck with whatever you decide Steve.

I wish I could of supported your business more but we both know the reason why I could not.

Sorry to hear that Steve (I’m a bit late hearing the news…) good luck in finding a new place or whatever else you end up doing! 👍

Hoping to come for first time this Sunday, other than soft drinks(!) do I need to bring my own change? And what time are you open?

Really sorry to hear about this Steve. So sad to know there is one less Pinball Arcade around. I'm glad I got the chance to visit when I did. Good luck in whatever you decide to do next :thumbs:

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about this Steve, it's a brave move for anyone to have ever done and me being a worrier I think I'd have gotten sick with constant worry of it failing.
Look after your health first and formost.

Rich

Back
Top Bottom