What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Electric Circus Update - excuse the LONG post

steve brum

Site Supporter
The Electric Circus Retro Arcade in Nuneaton will be closing permanently on July 30th at midnight (not in honour of Rudy but that's our licence!)

The Summer at the Circus IFPA matchplay event will be the last hurrah so lets ALL make it a good one - BBQ ,prizes,giveaways, drink promos, 100 plus ? We can do it!!!

The FIFE Street building is a BIG place (site isover 5000sq feet) with high maintenance and designed for high footfall. This has not been the case since the end of lock-down andhas got worse since the cost of living crisis. The energy hike in October made the business unviable and in want of a better word has limped along. The lack of casual customers obviously filtered into the arcade where video game income dropped to 10% of pre-covid and pinball 50%. Despite the fantastic support of our regular league players and community support for the bigger tournaments , a bar that holds 200 people cannot survive on Tuesdays alone!

I have looked for a much smaller venue both retail and commercial units but nothing viable has been found locally. Business rates kill larger units and smaller ones are just that - toosmall. My health isn't that good so any venue would needstaffing and that all adds to costs. To be frank with you guys,public pinball is not popular enough on its own. It was run here as aloss leader and is done so elsewhere. Those who thought the 50ps paid for machines obviously live on a different planet. Since Christmas the machine takings have not even covered general maintenance.

A few machines are being sold and some may find homes with renters. I have had kind offers to temporarily home my classic games which I am more attached to. I have a lot of stuff(much not owned by me but in my care) not on public display at the pub and safe secure storage for this is being paid for so there is no need for a fire sale. If it doesn't sell I will just store it. There will also be some projects for sale to the hardcore as I make a few decisions.

A few glasses of wine before the next bits..

June 2023 was the 40th anniversary of my first arcade game , a fruit machine that sat in my parents garage.

For so long I lived in a standard semi detached house with 4 big sheds (and no garden!) and between myself and my good friend Jon , had close to 200 pinball machines - but not ONE set up to play. It got ridiculous. Buying this stuff is FAR more addictive than playing it. So I opened the first electric circus in an industrial unit to let the games be set up and played. In all honesty, hardly anyone ever turned up but the rent and bills were low and covered by the paying commercial events like EGX and Revival that we used to do (which have now also virtually ceased) . I would take that unit back in a heartbeat but its not available and in Nuneaton now I'd be looking at FIVE times as much!

I decided that people loved beer and pinball and set about finding somewhere large to combine a bar and arcade. We were priced out of "desirable" Birmingham and looked for over a year at dozens of properties in a wider area. Fife Street was terrifyingly too big but the owners did us a deal. Courtney threw herheart and soul into it and the first year was a steep learning curve.But 363 days later it all came crashing down and the very high standing bills put us in deep trouble. To come out the other side to then face the cost of living disaster is "harsh"

30 machines went when I moved out my house. 30 more when we moved over to Fife Street and 25 more to help ride lockdown.

Now I shall personally (hopefully) get down to a more manageable 40 or so. I will own no arcade video game for the first time since July 1990. No more bandits. One jukebox.

I'm glad my Dad got to see me open an arcade. Itold him I would when I brought home that Circle Skill all those years ago as a skinny and spotty 15 year old oink (yes I was skinny once!)

I thought about jacking it in and selling the lot but the lure of the silverball is powerful. You start to think –ill just keep that one and that one and .. then give up such nonsense.

My partner wants to move to Spain , if my health was better or I had a pension we'd probably be off. But with still a few of my favourite games in the back of the van hurtling through France!

I'm not tied to Nuneaton though I have made some fantastic friends here. Anyone want to team up with a venture PM me! Anyone with or know of a commercial space PM me. The Electric Circus is dead. A Midlands Pinball Club would be great! Pay to enter model in that scenario. I still dream of a UK venue with 100+ games.

Maybe that dream is possible but I can't do it alone.

Good luck to other the other pinball clubs and retro arcades. Support them. Support places of public amusement. The government wants you to stay at home. F++K that

Medieval Madness will be up for sale tomorrow night (it needs a video taking first) My flame proof jammies are at the ready.

Please be nice.

“Pinball Forever” - CENTAUR

Sorry to hear this Steve, been to your place a few times. Was glad to try Rick and Morty while you had it on location, as well as Elvira HoH.

It's just another chapter in the story Steve, and it was great to have seen the pinnacle of EC.

i don't think you can understate the achievment if going from a warehouse full of stargates and austin powers, to a club full of the latest Sterns. What wild ride.

No harm in downsizing and then seeing how it goes, hope you find somewhere.

I personally liked the warehouse model, but you're right it's gotta be seen as a storage unit primarily and open to play as a bonus. Relying on footfall to pay is a tough one.

Electric Circus will live on in one form or another. It's just regeneration time. Charge the sonic boom.

Tim

Sorry to read this Steve. I always enjoyed my visits and got to play so many different games that I’ll never get to own. More recently I’d started to play the classics when I’d come and started to enjoy those more than I thought I would.

The price per play and being able to park on site for free is fantastic. Even though it’s not close, I should have been more.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do next.

Sad news. All the best Steve.

Some of you may know that I too have the itch to open a pinball venue. It’s really tough to make it work commercially. It needs to have booze and food to work and space to offer a “destination. experience” like junkyard golf, axe throwing, climbing wall, flight club (darts), shuffleboard, beer pong, bowling, pool etc. we have all of those offerings in leeds, so it’s also a competitive market. One of the big operators here with multiple venues offering different experiences has needed a huge cash injection to survive the c19 and colc.

Rates kill most venues. rents and property costs in leeds are high and suitable premises are few and far between. Leeds isn’t viable.

I’ve found a huge property in bradford city centre. 14,000 sq foot, city centre, in a regen area so maybe some grants available to help, and Bradford is city of culture 2025, so will attract visitors off the back of that.

I put in a very cheeky offer on Monday. waiting to hear……

Gutted for you Steve, love electric circus, it’s where I fell in love with AFM and STh .

Fingers crossed that something positive can emerge from this and your passion can find another outlet 🤞

Sorry to hear this.

I remember my first visit to the warehouse having found your Facebook page. Enjoyed many hours of fun for a fiver there even dragged the rest of the family who all had fun. It was after playing your Potc that I got the bug and set about finding my own. Fast forward a few years and I’ve owned some of the greatest pinball machines made and sunk far to much money into them.

You have allot to answer for

Only made it to Nuneaton a few times due to the distance from me but it was great to be able to play some of the machines I will likely never see in the wild. Rick and Morty. EHOH

Hope you manage to find a few willing partners to bring the Birmingham pinball dream home

I'm really sorry to hear this Steve. I loved the club when I can up and your enthusiasm for pinball is very evident.

It's a sad day. More importantly I hope your health perks up mate.

Sad news Steve , I salute your efforts - you made it work while you could.

Some years ago the Slam Crew were toying with the idea of a pinball arcade / bar in Brighton - if it could work anywhere then surely here - but the property rental and other costs / concerns quickly became evident . And this was before the world went to sh^t .

All the best for the future

Sorry to hear, loosing public pinball is always a shame. However in this climate and costs understandable. Hopefully something will come up. Good luck

I went over to see Steve yesterday to have a catch up, it’s a bad day for pinball in the UK 🇬🇧

The current climate is seeing businesses going out of business all the time in hospitality, Steve has done well to ride out the storm this far!

After COVID business seen a boom, people getting back out again and enjoying life!

Then just as you thought we’ll all be alright living crisis happened in May 2022 and I tell you what the last 12 months have been the roughest.

Now couple that with inflation rates going up… your day to day to customers either have little disposable income or nine at all

End of rant

I really hope everyone can make it to the last tourney on the 30th

Cheers Steve for all the good times

Steve, so sorry to hear this. I‘d always planned to visit Electric Circus and now, I guess, I’ll have to try to bring forward my trip if I can

All the best of luck going forwards 🫂

You did something others could not have done and that is an achievement. Whatever you do make sure you have fun and enjoy life.

Always good to have a chat with you and remember Nick RIP.

David

Sad announcement indeed.

Electric Circus has been an incredible hub for like minded people to come, take their mind off things and enjoy a fantastic, unique and ever changing mix of machines.

On a personal level (along with Tilt) it's where I have really cut my teeth into the pinballing world and I've met some really great people along the way in doing so.

Much thanks to Steve and everyone involved for allowing me to help grow and nurture the pinball community there. There is a lot of pride, satisfaction and joy that comes with how much the weekly leagues have grown over the last year and a half. From less than a handful of people to regularly 20-30 people faithfully each week. Always a blast and a great, friendly spirit. Recently EC has even extended to the Belles & Chimes ladies branch , such was the demand!

People travelling from all over the country to attend EC matchplay tournaments has been great to see. Managing to crack 80 people and 'break UK matchplay tournament records' at the BATTLE FOR THE CORONATION was fantastic. It was a stressful one to organise but I love to see the banner still hanging there as a testament to what we achieved.

There is plenty more I can say but mainly thanks to Steve and the Electric Circus team and I and many others will continue to support you whatever way we can in your pinball journey - it's been a pleasure so far.

Gene

Steve/Courtney...

Really sad to hear this news. I remember when you moved in and the massive high hopes you had, and it was great whilst it lasted... Unfortunately C19 broke things in a big way, and whatever people say, the world isnt the same in the new world afterwards - there is a definate downturn in footfall wherever you turn.

One thing others have aluded to - Health is the most important... Without health we may as well not be here, or in fact just give up... and unfortunately i have seen (and get massively frustrated in myself) that happen too many times. Myself i am finding that i just cant do some of the things that i used to be able to do with ease even 10 years ago.

Whatever you choose Steve - All the best of luck to you. But thank you for giving it a go, and thanks for the enjoyment you have given to many others..

So so sad to hear this news 🥲

We’ve loved our weekends and visits to EC. It’s always been a hi-light to meet all the lovely locals and players from far and wide.

Wishing you all the very best in future endeavours.

See you for the last hurrah on the 30th!

Di and Clive

I'm so sorry Steve, kicking myself that I still haven't ever made it up to your club but will certainly be there for the last hurrah. What you've achieved is nothing short of amazing and the way the world is going is just terrifying, for any bar/venue to make it through Covid and especially the current cost of living cr*p seems like it requires a miracle, so you should be bloody proud of yourself that you kept the dream alive this long through all these terrible times. A sad day for pinball but fingers and toes crossed you find a solution for the Electric Circus to live on.

Steve, I understand perfectly. Sad day indeed.

But always remember that HEALTH comes first!

Just 10 days ago I was chatting with the team that helps out at The Pinball Office. I was explaining them how the £5000/ month costs of running the club in an expensive area close to London doesn’t work out at all.

I’ve offered 40 pins from my collection and made them available for everyone to play for only £10 then £12.5 out of which £3 was going for the car park…
I’ve supported the rent from my own pocket for the last 18 months loosing tens of thousands in the process.
I’ve put hundreds of hours in to maintaining, repairing and cleaning the machines to be always at the standard that everyone knows that visited the club.

I was happy to offer my machines, to maintain them and to run the place (alone financially) hoping that at a certain day at least the rent will be paid by the visitors. That didn’t happen yet.
I will give it 6 more months and if by the end of December it won’t be paying its rent, I will have to make the collection private again as it always was. This would mean that another pinball club will have to close down.
Steve, at least we tried! No? If there ain’t enough support for this niche hobby, what can we do?

As I said in the beginning, health is first, unfortunately I’ve learned this the hard way so it would be a shame to let our hobby to bring us down. In the end you will still have the love for pinball and all your pins to play with your friends and that’s the important thing.

Thank your for sharing them with the community!

PS If you would live closer we would make the over 100 pins venue a reality… (even if it would be insane to think about the black hole that would form in our bank account each month) :)))

All the best and take care.

Thank you to Alan, Pete, Claire, David and John for all the help with the club!

This thread makes me both sad but also very proud of what this community has achieved to keep public pinball alive. Time are tough for a lot of people but it is also abundantly clear that it is very hard to make public pinball venues cover the costs of rates, rent and maintenance, with little to go on new machines and then give the owners an income.
This puts a lot on the owners to cover the full costs as documented above, thank you to all of you who keep public pinball alive.

As @Hiltoncriss says, we have to think about our health first, best of luck to you Steve.

Good luck for the future Steve and sorry for the loss of the venue.
I have always been a firm believer stress and Anxiety are the reason we end up with nasty diseases! The body can’t cope with sleepless nights and worry when the next bill has to be paid so take time out to recoup, then onwards and upwards without the aforementioned stress.
Remember Heath, Happiness and Famalam are the real treasures in this life not material goods that will be snapped up the moment you leave this mortal coil.
A chilled relaxed lifestyle surrounded by great friends and family now that’s the thing money simply can’t buy.

Best wishes Coly

Congratulations Steve! You are a legend in this community, and we respect and appreciate all you have achieved. I say congratulations because of that, and wish you more success and health going forward.

Although I've only been a handful of times, it has always been great. Hopefully something exciting comes up soon that we can all support.

Hugs to the whole team at EC! :thumbs:

Really sorry to hear this Steve.
Your warehouse was the first place I played public pinball since the 90s. Had a few visits there and got the bug.
Only been to EC half a dozen times, but loved the choice of machines you had available. It will be sadly missed by many I'm sure.
Hopefully you may be back at some point in time with a smaller place.
Good luck 👍

Sorry to hear that. I've been at E. Circus several times. Have learnt a lot from Steve and always loved to chat with him and Courtney. Bought few machines/projects and spares too. Really shame that it's gone that bad. :(

Back
Top Bottom