What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DMD Clocks - the 2021 (and last run!).

Paul

Staff member
Alias
Toibs
PLEASE READ THIS CAREFULLY IF YOU ARE INTERESTED!!! - Lots of information below!!

For the avoidance of any doubt - this is a community project, not a retail/consumable product.

The aim is to create something cool for the pinball community, by the pinball community - raising money for charity as we go. This is not a commercial venture - no liability accepted.

The first run of DMD clocks was in.....2016... I believe there were 30 (give or take one or two) produced in two runs (10+20). These were Mono Clocks (all orange) and based upon RunDMD boards. As far as i am aware most if not all of these are still going strong.
Then I did a run of DMD clocks last year - Based upon Raspberry Pi's (3b+). Many more than i expected... i think we ended up on around 50 of these.

I am now looking to do one Final run of the Colour clocks from last year.

There are Rumours of an updated software and even more Gifs, however i can only provide what i have currently, which is the same platform as last year.... Updates are rumoured to be a few months off. These take an absolute age to co-ordinate and put together... so this is more than likely the last run i will do....ive only just regained the feeling in my fingers from last time... ;)

This time i am intending to offer two different types. Wall clock (as before), and Desktop clock.

The product :

Wall Clock :
IMG_4199.jpg

IMG_4201.jpg

IMG_4202.jpg

IMG_4204.jpg

IMG_4222.jpg

IMG_4221.jpg

IMG_4225.jpg

Desktop Clock :

Not Just pinball animations, however Many different Arcade based ones....

Arcade - 898 gifs
Computers - 367 gifs
Consoles - 1490 gifs
Halloween - 395 gifs
Logo - 57 gifs
Other - 349 gifs
Pinball_Short - 1157 gifs
Pinball_Story - 93 gifs
Test_Suite - 2 gifs
XMAS - 158 gifs
XXX_Mature - 23 gifs
BEST_OF_TOP_30 - 30 gifs
Logos - 53 gifs
Quiz_Fr - 163 gifs (only really any good if you can read French!)

Total 5235 gifs

Animations on both Desktop and Wall clocks are the same.

Based on a Raspberry Pi, Custom software, Colour panels, Remote accessability and settings....

1598469928231.png

You can set the brightness dependant on the time of day.... (so it can go dim at night, and then on brighter at 8am for example)
1598469972036.png

Edit the display Duration (Or switch the individual function off!), choose different fonts & Background images....
1598470035484.png

1598470159020.png

Display the weather forcast (Needs Free API key from openweathermap)
1598470294960.png

And of course, to do all of this, ideally you would need a Wifi Connection, or wired Ethernet... (although not essential, highly recommended - Weather does NOT work without an internet connection.)

1598470397087.png

So - due to regulations, you are making a contribution to the forum for a Full Kit of parts. Since i have had experience of building these i am happy to put these together for you as a gesture of goodwill towards my friends in this community at no charge, as i am aware this is beyond the capabilities of some people (No disrespect meant).

****All programming is done via the Web interface - there are no onboard "buttons" ****

These are supplied 100% Complete. Cost includes everything - includes Shipping to your door (Mainland UK).

Will need a little more info closer to shipping if you want everything pre-set for you.... Postcode (for the weather screen to be accurate), WIFI SSID & Password (will remain secure - please be aware i have better things to do than come and sit outside your house connecting to your Wifi!) to allow it to connect to the WIFI for weather updates etc - Not needed if you intend to connect using an ethernet cable.

The original mono Clocks were £300 shipped. These as I warned are a little more (as everything has gone up typically - most noticably the hardware... Pillars etc!!!).
When i did these last year they were £350 fully assembled and delivered, however with cost increases and customs charges, unfortunately this has gone up a little.

Price for this kit will be £400 for the Wall Clock, and £380 for the Desktop Clock. This includes Free assembly by myself in the spirit of the forum. Unfortunately as everyone will be aware, prices have gone silly, plus any customs breaks have all but disappeared :(
Price includes shipping of the Kit (Fully insured) to mainland UK (excluding the usual awkward postcodes). I am happy to work with individuals outside of these areas, however that may cost a little more to ship to which must be covered by the purchaser (at cost) :). Any customs fees and import duties incurred shipping the assembled items are the responsability of the member (where applicable!)

I'm really sorry that the desktop clocks are so expensive... however the software, panels etc are just as expensive as their larger relations!

It is worth noting that of this final cost, €30 for each clock (Desktop or Wall) will be donated directly to a UK based charity. The software is charity-ware and states : "you make a donation to a charitable, humanitarian, research, animal or plant conservation association"....

Last time i dontated over £1500 PLUS GIFT AID to three UK charities - Cancer Research, The Stroke Association and My local hospital (Southmead hospital). This time i will pick other UK based charities - I will put a poll up once we have the funds to decide the top two or three charities to donate to.

Proof of these donations will be posted here, and made available to the team that supplied the software to cover my side of the licencing. As a UK tax payer, and this being a personal donation (On everyones behalf), I will also be including "Gift Aid", which will increase the donation amount by 25% where i have the option to do so.

There are two other payments to other parties that support the production of these (and are included in the price) - A donation towards the colouring/artwork package, a donation towards the plans/designs/hardware lists (this actually is cheaper than having the frames produced and shipped to the UK - the Frames are being produced by the same team that produced the previous ones, and are located in the UK) :)

I propose to proceed in the Following way, as we did last time:

• Register interest in Kit (serious people only please!). CLOSED
  • 50% pre-payment (enables me to start to purchase Kit materials - i will support the outstanding amount personally). Deposit Payment NOW OPEN (£200 Wall/£190 Desktop) is accepted via Paypal Friends and Family to the Forum Account. Required before 31st October 2021 please - the sooner i get all of these in the sooner i can order the parts)
  • 50% final payment when clocks are ready to ship (estimate around 2 months) - Aiming to ship all before Christmas, however because of shipping worldwide, i cannot promise this i'm afraid..

Timescales are expected to be 8 weeks from pre-payment close until anticipated delivery, may well be sooner, depending on how long people take to submit payment, and how much ahead of the game i can get!
I personally will be aiming for 6 weeks, as i like to get these done and out there, but in the current climate some supplies are limited. I WILL keep you all updated on these as i always do!

Every single unit will be tested and left on Soak Test for a minimum of 24 hours before it leaves the building. Each will be fully functioning and with no known issues.

If you have paid your pre-payment, however require to pull out, you will need to sell your share to someone else to recoup your outlay.

I will answer more specific questions as they are asked below. If you wish to Register interest, Please ask below and i will update the list which will be on the next post....

Update.... for info, Wall clock is approx 80cm Long, 23cm high (larger shipped obviously!). Desk clock is approx 35cm Long, 16cm high (not made one using the new frames yet!).

Last edited:
Current lists

Wall Clock...

#UsernameDeposit Received (50%)Final PaymentCurrent Status
1Ant127ReceivedReceivedShipped
2Lee RileyReceivedHeld Pending shipping as requested
3SilverpaoloReceivedReceivedShipped
4PinballtoysReceivedReceivedShipped
5BluejoolsReceivedReceivedShipped
6PinibReceivedReceivedShipped
7SBDesign---
8Marcoos_1ReceivedReceivedShipped
9Tidy Technician---
10MozieReceivedReceivedHeld Pending Shipping as Requested
11ausretrogamerReceivedReceivedShipping tomorrow...
12TelboyReceivedReceivedShipped
13Calvin12ReceivedReceivedAwaiting Delivery of Power cable (Ordered)
14ParisnoReceivedReceivedShipped
15Uncle3dReceivedReceivedAwaiting Delivery of Power cable (Ordered)
16Rus121ReceivedReceivedShipped
17Matt VinceReceivedReceivedShipped
18JulianReceivedReceivedShipped
19AndySReceivedReceivedShipped
20JmacReceivedReceivedShipped
21PerkyReceivedReceivedShipped
22SuperSprintReceivedReceivedShipped

Desktop Clock...

#UsernameDeposit Received (50%)Final PaymentCurrent StatusShipping Status
1AndyPcReceived
2Lee RileyReceived
3WidnesbernieReceived
4FennyReceived
5BigIanReceivedReceived

Lists Last updated 21/12 @20:58GMT

Last edited:
Please Read carefully

So.. i have had a few messages asking me if they can either pay all in one, or pay part now (whilst people have the cash) rather than waiting a couple of weeks... Which i completely understand.

Therefore if you wish to pay for the initial 50% now, or indeed the entire amount if that makes it any easier for you, this can be done at any time by the following :

1. Friend and Family payment to paypal.me/pinballinfo (Deposit £200 for Wall clock/£190 for desktop, or full payment of £400 Wall/£380 Desktop) PLUS any additional Shipping at cost, as would have bee discussed by PM
2. Paypal Protected payment to paypal.me/pinballinfo , Remembering to add 3% on top of the numbers above....

1634800225399.png

or

1634800250908.png

- please add 3% onto the amount you are paying

***If you would prefer to send paypal protected then you do have that option, and that is fine, however you will need to add the additional fees (at 3%) please.***

*PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU INCLUDE YOUR FORUM USERNAME IN THE PAYMENT NOTES FIELD, ELSE IT WILL DISAPPEAR INTO THE "PAUL'S BEER FUND" *

Once you have paid (please give me 24/48 hours) i will update the list above, and as previously i will keep people updated in this thread as to where we are so you are all aware.

Many thanks
Paul

*(Please note - "Pauls Beer Fund" doesnt actually exist... however you get the message)

Last edited:
Paul,
What are the dimensions of these ?

Just saw the sizes in the original thread. Put me down for a desktop please.

Last edited:
Does the Desktop version come with the tilted/raised case like in the video or is it just a smaller version of the wall clock?

I'd also be interested in the answer to this one, the desktop looks great in the video. I have the mono clock from the first run but I'm v tempted to upgrade, maybe even in both flavours...

Does the Desktop version come with the tilted/raised case like in the video or is it just a smaller version of the wall clock?
The tilted version is 3d printed - so is actually not as "professional" a finish in my view ompared to the acrylic ones... However i'm happy to provide this type if individuals prefer...

Here it is in white.... Black would probably match better... Wouldnt have the Pi logo...

1634359241378.png

the version i intend to supply looks roughly like this...

1634359495629.png

Second post updated with lists of People and order received. If i have missed you please let me know! :)

I'm interested in a wall clock that will need to ship across the pond. You don't want the 50% until next week? and what will the payment address be?

Nope...no immediate hurry.... anytime between 00:00 23rd October and 31st October 2021 GMT please.
I'll happilly ship accross the pond, as long as you cover the cost... Will drop you a PM :)

Back
Top Bottom