What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete Data East Star Wars

Here’s the before photo. I just used peroxide based hair lighter from boots. The solution when all mixed up to do the hair is actually a paste. I just brushed it on the plastic bits I wanted lightning and placed it right in front of an ultra violet light (black light) I have in the games room and just left it there for 24 hours. You can also leave it on the window sill for a few days in the sun. The decals weren’t affected, just the plastic. A few weeks previous I also used really smooth sandpaper to take a layer off the top surface and that also lightened it. There is loads of info on the internet about de-yellowing plastic - sorry I thought this was common knowledge.
Before
6802c246cc46b4ce8097486e90772a9d.jpg
After
2447f9198759d78d0c7a6bd15f960d7c.jpg

Last edited:
I've changed my mind about the black cabinet art decals. I prefer the original blue colour even though it's hard to colour match with paint.

Be interested on your thoughts re colour matching, is there a straight colour to get or have you had one mixed? I’ve had thoughts of taking the back box to B&Q and try and get them to scan it and mix a match? Any thoughts as I’ve a SW project

Just a warning don't buy the R2D2 chrome repro head from Pinball Center. Costs 50 euros and I had to send the first one back because it wasn't chromed properly, the second one cracked when I put the blue insert it as it was too small, I gave up at on them at that point.

Be interested on your thoughts re colour matching, is there a straight colour to get or have you had one mixed? I’ve had thoughts of taking the back box to B&Q and try and get them to scan it and mix a match? Any thoughts as I’ve a SW project
I used Dulux Venetian Crystal 2 which was mixed up at Homebase but it came out a little warm. It all depends how much of the cabinet was exposed to the sun as it fades and changes shade over time. You can see where I used it in the inside of the cab in one of my previous posts.
My backbox seemed to be a different blue from the cabinet too.

Just a warning don't buy the R2D2 chrome repro head from Pinball Center. Costs 50 euros and I had to send the first one back because it wasn't chromed properly, the second one cracked when I put the blue insert it as it was too small, I gave up at on them at that point.
I'm just going to respray mine with Hammerite silver. R2D2's head isn't chrome in the original movie anyway. :) It's more of a matt silver.
I was even thinking of giving him battle scars if my whitening didn't work. Also in the later films R2D2 has actually gone a little bit yellow.

These actually look in okay condition, at least they're not falling apart. Maybe a tumble mught make them reusable as spares?

I chucked a load of rusty ones away last month but still have a small pile if anyone wants them to tumble. They are so cheap to buy they are not worth the extra effort to clean. I wouldn’t have bothered doing anything with them if spare parts didn’t exist but couldn’t help myself. I have now spent around £1000 on the restore. Even plastics I wasn’t going to replace have been replaced. Probably could have spent a fraction of that money and had it playing a few months ago but I would have nothing to do then :)

The rubber kits, and even the manual lists are often incorrect.

Black rubber though ?

I'm disappointed in you Andrew [emoji3]

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk
Hah, yes, I know, soz. The rubber kit was the first thing I ordered thinking I would just need to do a quick rubber replacement and get it playing. I didn't want to umm and arr deciding what colour I wanted where. Or are you suggesting white rubbers? Is there a suggested colour scheme? I know it's all about individuality when it comes to modding or upgrading but I would rather go with a standard scheme so it still kinda looks stock if you know what I mean.

So, the only other place I can see exposed post is the shaft that drives the R2D2 head and it seems the same diameter as the posts that the other rubbers went on. Its right next to a switch under R2D2 so probably helps with making sure the ball rolls over it. Someone on Pinside also had the same query and decided on the same place. I will fit it tonight and post a photo.

Hah, yes, I know, soz. The rubber kit was the first thing I ordered thinking I would just need to do a quick rubber replacement and get it playing. I didn't want to umm and arr deciding what colour I wanted where. Or are you suggesting white rubbers? Is there a suggested colour scheme? I know it's all about individuality when it comes to modding or upgrading but I would rather go with a standard scheme so it still kinda looks stock if you know what I mean.

Always white for me :thumbs: And then coloured post sleeves. Went with Blue on mine.

Almost there, almost there.
I need to stay on target though. Still need to clean up the lock down bar but apart from that everything is pretty much there. The right flipper was doing something odd during one of the games and I need to adjust the right sling shot but that’s me for tonight.
bdf81205236a2003b24bdd1fc8316083.jpg

Thanks to Pinball Heaven for supplying the coin door.
8208d41b5e8e49d7f5d29a95d4e6138e.jpg

I will mark this project as complete now. Fixed an illumination problem under the Death Star (my fault soldering up new lamp holders late at night). Adjusted right slingshot switches. Sanded down and resprayed lock down bar.
Will look at programming latest software onto ROM at some point in the future and will be fitting a Colour PIN2DMD soon when it arrives.

18f89f6b5437addfa7d8e0b7bb8fc23b.jpg

3fa62800330c333234dc51d46b15b527.jpg

4ec22ade6bc8be62347665a7cb2e4992.jpg

9607c1ff87cd62e758a65475f6a1975d.jpg

afb27cbe6e8b3cdb63cc2c3f91cd90df.jpg

a89cef4807c211152c3f027f5f730e8d.jpg

4d2c40593daba10cef3adec51392dfef.jpg

Just read the entire thread Andrew. Well done buddy, really great work. You must be made up!

Just read the entire thread Andrew. Well done buddy, really great work. You must be made up!

I’m definitely glad it’s finished. It’s the longest pinball restoration I’ve ever done. The plan was just to clean a few bits up and put it all back together but I ended up buying way more new parts than I thought I would need. Will be quite some time before I’m ready to part with this and take on another project.

Nice work! R2's head came out great! They should have used a brushed aluminium colour when they made him in the 1st place!

@Andrew Hannay great thread and great progress, well done. Sorry to bump an old thread, but I just picked up a DE SW and came across this thread. The Deathstar target is not dropping on mine. The relay clicks but it doesnt seem like the motor even tries. I am going to reflow the relay boards, but I believe maybe one of my switches may be installed upside down.

Would you be able to post or send me a few pics of this switch, please? The one to the left of the motor. Does this seem right?

1627928805579.png

Sorry for the late reply,
I will have a look this weekend for you.
Yours looks so much cleaner than mine.
Andrew

Back
Top Bottom