What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete Data East Star Wars

Some good car body filler and time and patience will get the back of that looking new

There were no keys with it so the coin box door had been forced open saving me one job but I thought I would have to drill out the back box lock. However, much to my delight, I found a key screwed securely to the inside of the cabinet.
The key fitted the back box lock saving me a lot of trouble. As a quick fix I dismantled the coin door lock barrel and moved / modified the lock pins so the back box key now operated both locks.
There was battery corrosion but it wasn’t bad. I will still be removing the board to inspect it a bit more and clean it up.
It does a ball search immediately on power up and the DMD doesn’t turn on immediately. Starting a game also results in the DMD turning off and a ball search so I guess there might be issues with switch matrix or connections. The connector pins are all oxidised so I will have to go through each of those and clean them up.
My priority is to fix the back of the cabinet first, so complete strip down has been advised.

9ff32f0c3afa2c7eccfb1bfff0a91db0.jpg
292b8aa06561b25dbc4798e7321122e7.jpg
4c763f0df98e260984464d7320b5254d.jpg
85e1520ad78996c5883b93bb2c82c9b5.jpg
0e53bf789f31a876f3b60eaee3219edd.jpg
95ee3f79236ccebf939f194b2537405f.jpg

It’s Alive........just
a03701b2b6bc0c118d8de05114bc72d7.jpg

Some good car body filler and time and patience will get the back of that looking new

Thanks, I might well go down that route then.
I just need to get the correct paint colour. Any idea what colour I can use or should I get it mixed at Homebase or B&Q?

Andy B did an excellent job on his. Worth having a look to inspire you if you haven't already seen it.

The machine has pretty much been in storage since 2008 so no.
I have already downloaded the newest ROM version 1.07 and will program an EPROM (I have a programmer) when I've got it all up and running properly.

Stripped some of the plywood layers that the water damage had got to on the back of the cabinet. It was only a small area that had de-laminated but it would be easier to repair if I stripped off the whole lot rather than try to fix the small areas. Will glue some 4mm ply over the top once I have prepared the surface. Might also have to remove the plastic cable exit hole thing as the screws holing it on have rusted and are picking through - Either that or just file them flat on the outside. Have also bought some fine car filler to repair the smaller areas.

35acb144e1195123ed7d066649cb6a94.jpg
1a1e53390c588849cd640d6f6c67522a.jpg

That’s that done. Want to get on with the playfield now so this will do for the time being. The colour match paint doesn’t quite colour match so will buy new black style decals in the future and paint the cab black.

07ed7f7014e2f268c959189634f76bb1.jpg

Looks alright from here! I was hoping to get the colour mix from you but your no happy? Any details

Looks alright from here! I was hoping to get the colour mix from you but your no happy? Any details

I took some paint flakes from the back of the head which when looking at it now is a slightly different blue to the body. Should have taken it from the side. I found a match at Homebase using the colour strips in the Dulux section. It was called Amazon Beat 1 but the paint doesn’t match the card very well anyway.

Hey Andrew, I read you have a programmer will you do me an eprom too?

I can indeed, but I haven’t used the programmer in ages since I moved 10 years ago. So I need to make sure my Win98 PC & Programmer setup still works. I’ll let you know how I get on. Sourcing plastics will be my next challenge.

Not gone for the new plastics myself, they seem to be easy to find but don’t know if they’re cheap repro stuff or genuine stock, anybody know what quality of replacements are like?

I’ll take cheap repro stuff any day if they are actually cheap. So far a complete set cost a small fortune.

Back
Top Bottom