do folk want the ukpp at merthyr again?

• yes, merthyr again

Votes: 18 35.3%
  • no, somewhere more central

Votes: 33 64.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Me and a few others travel to the Pinball party each year from Ireland and used to go to the Welsh classic at Dave Rolfes. Hopefully we will be able to go to Dave Wilcoxs welsh open next year
(couldnt get last year as it was my brother in laws 50th, this year it was his sons wedding)

The welsh put on a great meet :thumbs:

South Coast Slam? Not central, but still went. .

Best part of the country though......

This is what some of you are still failing to understand. A fair amount will ALWAYS hit any event regardless of location because you love it that much and wouldn't miss them. I'm all for supporting events but 75% of the time it's not possible.

Someone mentioned they did 18 hr round trip? That's just madness in many peoples eyes. You can't expect everyone to want to be doing this. Meet in the middle.

Just Banter Dave..

In reality it doesnt really matter to me where it is as locg as its within a few hours of an airport.
But in my opinion it should be Birmingham at the very least (Northhamptons not bad, dont know whats around there location wise)

If its Andy organising again then distance from him is a major factor.
Im guessing Birmingham might be expensive also with it having the NEC etc meaning loads of travellers/exhibitors needing put up for the night ?

Best part of the country though......

This is what some of you are still failing to understand. A fair amount will ALWAYS hit any event regardless of location because you love it that much and wouldn't miss them. I'm all for supporting events but 75% of the time it's not possible.

Someone mentioned they did 18 hr round trip? That's just madness in many peoples eyes. You can't expect everyone to want to be doing this. Meet in the middle.
Car share?

Me and a few others travel to the Pinball party each year from Ireland and used to go to the Welsh classic at Dave Rolfes. Hopefully we will be able to go to Dave Wilcoxs welsh open next year
(couldnt get last year as it was my brother in laws 50th, this year it was his sons wedding)

The welsh put on a great meet :thumbs:
Sorry Ian, no plans for next year.
Dave Willcox ( not central )

Birmingham's not that bad. It's easier to go straight up/down a motorway. This has got to be true for the majority of "england".

"Car share? "

Wouldn't have been enough to make this one, unfortunately I'm not die hard enough. Didn't fancy the factory either, we made mind up about that as soon as it was announced. We got used to the hotel format being cool.

Got to say I really liked the Factory as a venue. Loads of space and it was airy enough to not get all hot and smelly.

Being able to walk around in front of machines without having to zig zag and stop and start was great. The tournament area was still quite tight but I can understand them wanting to keep it looking as small as possible but still playable.

If it was the factory again next year I would be there. Could even volunteer a few days before hand to drive around picking up tables from various lenders if needed

You're certainly dedicated to the cause Ian, can't fault that. Even though pinball in general probably needs more of this it also needs to be accessible to non-uber-pin heads. Attendance proves point there, it was always pretty full with both sides of the hobby up in Daventry.

Careful, other French people attended and they're the nicest folk you'll meet. Even Franck's a nice bloke when you get to know him. He's even a bit humble sometimes. But not when talking Pinball. And he does cheat a bit.
How do you cheat, even just a bit, at pinball? Unless you're trying to death save unnoticed what else can you do? You flip and nudge to stop the ball going down the hole whilst trying to rack up a score to beat your opponent. Are we talking performance enhancing drugs? ;)

Never been to any pinball event yet, so don't feel that I can really comment but I'm going to anyway.

Would like to attend an event at a pinball factory, after all its all about the pins.

If it's not going to be at HP and it's still going to be the UKPP then perhaps it should tour around the UK.

Then my final though about it is that is that if we as individuals or groups think that we can do better then we should stand up to the mark and do something about it, and if not then we should be grateful to the people that do all the work and support the community.

Hope to see you all next year wherever it's held.

How do you cheat, even just a bit, at pinball? Unless you're trying to death save unnoticed what else can you do? You flip and nudge to stop the ball going down the hole whilst trying to rack up a score to beat your opponent. Are we talking performance enhancing drugs? ;)

I thought the same thing when I saw that - maybe it's about sneakily changing the settings so you get an extra ball when no-one is watching, or putting off your opponents with toxic farts?

Anywhere in the UK is accessible.
Daventry is not an option anymore.
If Merthyr goes ahead in 2016, there will be machines already set up there. Estimated at around 30.
Any why exactly is Daventry not an option? OK yes the UK party can be anywhere in The UK, but anyone with common sense should realise a central location plus hotel included on site is best.

I thought the same thing when I saw that - maybe it's about sneakily changing the settings so you get an extra ball when no-one is watching, or putting off your opponents with toxic farts?

Where do we start...

Unsettle the opponent by hammering the lockdown bar and yelling
Walking around the back of the machine when its the other persons game
Playing extra balls when against the rules
Sneaking away when you have a crap first ball in a ranked scores game
Playing a ball or full game for someone else
Playing a machine twice
Playing a stolen joker
Calling a ref for a dubious non-event during a game to restart
The list goes on...

Or you can use tactics... Franck will get onto the classics early and put a few decent high scores up on a couple of machines so others steer clear of them

You should see the cheating that goes on in chess...

Or motorcycle racing, in club racing, if you didn't cheat, you had no chance....

for those mentioning about other venues.... the issue is power... or the lack of it....

5A per machine etc etc - needs 3 phase or multiple separate supplies.... you cant run 100 machines off a standard village hall feed..... thats 500A !!!

Agreed power is a big consideration. But 1.5a is more like the average. Still that's 150amps or 36kW. Most non commercial locations won't have the capacity for such demand.

for those mentioning about other venues.... the issue is power... or the lack of it....

5A per machine etc etc - needs 3 phase or multiple separate supplies.... you cant run 100 machines off a standard village hall feed..... thats 500A !!!

We could cut that by 1/3 if everyone agreed to remove all GI ;)

Indeed, when it comes to venue hire you need to consider the cost of a sparky not to just cable it up for you but also PAT testing and all that sort of crap too

For those that did go, what did you think of the food? I thought it was perfectly acceptable. However John W said he wasn't impressed at all. The hog roast was very nice, but then there was no Veggy option for @Nickbs although advertised. Chips, burgers, sausages, curry ( more like sweet gravy but still nice ) available from the café bar and not expensive. I was happy enough with it.

Hey, but it was a particularly fine plate of vegetables that was offered up for the veggie option in the end!! The good company certainly made up for it!;):)

Overall I thought the catering was basuc , but fine and reasonably priced.

The solution is to find a great strip bar, supply cheap beer, and all we play the tournament games on TPA on our ipads!. :cool:

Hi Ian

I thought we'd agreed not to mention that bar with the upstairs room with drinks at 49p each?????:confused::eek:

What goes on in Merthyr, stays in Merthyr:-o:tut::cool:

the simplest one i know of is restarting the game after a bad start, by pressing the start button again (maybe holding it, if set to 'slow') at the start of ball 2. if it's not been disabled in the settings, the game cancels the score and restarts ball 1 on pretty much all solid state games, not sure when that started but someone here will know. if done too early, ie. when ball 1 still active, it starts a 2nd player, then the naughty player either starts player 2 and pretends that player 1's crap score is nothing to do with him and was someone else who has disappeared, or claims the right to reboot the game. i think i've seen this tactic deployed at every tournament i ever went to, or people trying it at least.

or the performance enhancing drugs i suppose? you see lots of monster/redbull type energy drinks at pin shows which is all legal - but i read recently that some bloke got banned from a video gaming event because he was on Adderall which is Ritalin which is basically amphetamine, ie a stimulant. pro gaming in the US is getting serious and they kick folks out for recreational pot/sniffy as well as betablockers that steady the nerves, stimulants, etc etc etc ...... i hope that never comes to the pinball scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom