What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bubble Bobble

Lads the LCD multi cades are rubbish.
Just get a 2 player 6 button Jamma cab and a pandora's box or even better a neogeo with a multicart.

What about if you're not 100% fussed about true authenticity, and can't be bothered with the labour involved in a build?

I ask because I was looking at a bartop solution, ie
https://www.arcademania.co.uk/product/arcade-machines-defender-2-player-arcade-bartop-machine

Without knowing anything about it, it seems decent, and splashing for the scan line generator would assist a bit in the fakery. Tell me I'm nuts.

Without knowing anything about it, it seems decent, and splashing for the scan line generator would assist a bit in the fakery. Tell me I'm nuts.
That would help but it’s still a flat screen and not curved like crt so to me its not right but I lived and breathed video games as a kid.
The black on the lcd is much better so doesn’t give you that oldskool vibe even though it’s better I still prefer the crt look which means I must be nuts!
Most people will be happy with an lcd cab.

A real arcade cabinet,not some crap mdf box with an LCD from chillies arcade.

The home made lcd ones are toys at the end of the day,no taste either with the crappy glossy artwork !

Actually looking at his prices (£700 ?) you would get yourself a sega astro ,http://www.ukvac.com/forum/sega-astro-city-cabs-x2_topic360504.html

I have an original bubble bobble pcb on the shelf that may be getting fixed soon :) Original pcbs all the way for me.

Two options really. Something modern emulating the game on an LCD screen or go old school and track down a Bubble Bobble PCB and a genuine old cab with a CRT monitor. The second option is infinitely better for many reasons but comes with a lot more potential issues. I've had a couple of old cabs but ended up building myself something modern to allow me to play modern fighters which is what I predominantly enjoy. Check out the vid below.

Two options really. Something modern emulating the game on an LCD screen or go old school and track down a Bubble Bobble PCB and a genuine old cab with a CRT monitor. The second option is infinitely better for many reasons but comes with a lot more potential issues. I've had a couple of old cabs but ended up building myself something modern to allow me to play modern fighters which is what I predominantly enjoy. Check out the vid below.

old school every time for me. Originality cannot be beaten

IMG_0013.jpgIMG_9878.jpg

Would 100% prefer an original cab - just not sure I have either the time or the coin to invest in one

Agreed. You can't beat the zero input lag crts. I only went the route I did because I was playing so much Street Fighter 5 competitively and I only have so much space
I used to have loads of original cabs including Defender, Mortal Kombat etc and they just take up so much space, only room for one now so has to be a 25” crt MK cab with mame.
Which reminds me I have a load of game boards in a box somewhere which I must dig it out.

Last edited:
Im somewhere in the middle on the PCBs.
Yes original is better ,but I dont have an attachment to any games from BITD (too young :p ) so I like original cabs with a multigame.
I do have an Super Street fighter 2 at the moment but I'm happy with my donkey kong cabinet running the 60-1 multi.
I will add a horizontal multi game at some stage (prob neo-geo).
Biggest problem with the pandoras box etc is that there is too much choice,it spoils the replay factor.

I've just built a Retropie bartop myself and I'm heavily into Bubble Bobble (and Bubble Bobble Lost Cave) at the moment. It could be emulated with a Raspberry Pi 3 and a joypad for about £50 (connected to a TV). We are a long way from the original sentence regarding an original Bubble Bobble cabinet. I guess a lot of people would kill for one of those.

What about if you're not 100% fussed about true authenticity, and can't be bothered with the labour involved in a build?

I ask because I was looking at a bartop solution, ie
https://www.arcademania.co.uk/product/arcade-machines-defender-2-player-arcade-bartop-machine

I just built a bartop, squeezed in a 19" monitor I had lying around and I'm very happy with it. You can use shaders to fake scanlines and curved screens if you like, no need for extra hardware. I think most non-purists would be very happy with a bartop with thousands of games.

Tell you what amazes me, me n my mate loved the game but I never saw it in the wild yet so many of you lot have a version and obviously also loved it.

Sent from the comfort of my sofa

I grew up near the seaside. I and my best mate put a lot of 10Ps in Bubble Bobble back in the day.

Did Bubble Bobble even have a dedicated cab originally? I always played it on a generic cab with a kit

Did Bubble Bobble even have a dedicated cab originally? I always played it on a generic cab with a kit

According to this, yes:

But I guess it could be fan made.

I don't know but...

1572960865514.png

I've seen 2 sites say that they never made a dedicated cab though.

1572966726704.png

Anyone know where I can buy the Pandorass Box 3D from, the chap on ebay isn't responding and it will not allow me to buy one despite it being for sale?

Is THIS a genuine Pandoras Box 3D?
(above is not the chap who was not responding, that was THIS Better Looking option)

Ordered it. Looking forward to it.

Last edited:
I have an Atomiswave Cab running a Naomi2, booting games from a Raspberry Pi.... Works for me! :thumbs:

A few months ago I picked up a Sega Blast City for £350. I have refurbished it and managed to get a brand new CRT tube for it. Bargains are still out there if you know where to look. An original Sega cab is much better than anything you could have made now.
If you are looking for something new and are pushed for space then the quarter scale replicas from numskull are amazing for the price. They are £129.99 and I know for a fact they are doing Bubble Bobble next year.

http://www.numskull.com/quarter-arcades/

I already have Pac-Man and Galaga and they are great for what they are.
20191015_210223.jpg

Last edited:
I started my Pinball journey with a mini Virtual Pinball which was a lot of fun, but that soon progressed into owning seven real Pinball Macines. I still enjoy playing games I don't own on the Virtual Pinball, but the experience of playing the real thing is in another league.
It's the best analogy for the difference between playing on a real Arcade cab with a CRT monitor and either an original PCB or Groovymame Vs playing on a modern replica or bar top etc. There is fun to be had but the experience of the real thing will always be that much better.

I started my Pinball journey with a mini Virtual Pinball which was a lot of fun, but that soon progressed into owning seven real Pinball Macines. I still enjoy playing games I don't own on the Virtual Pinball, but the experience of playing the real thing is in another league.
It's the best analogy for the difference between playing on a real Arcade cab with a CRT monitor and either an original PCB or Groovymame Vs playing on a modern replica or bar top etc. There is fun to be had but the experience of the real thing will always be that much better.

I beg to differ. Virtual pinball is a video game simulation of a physical device whereas a video game on a bartop is the same video game that you played in the arcade, perhaps with slight graphical differences (some would even say improvements.) If you like authentic graphics, shaders do quite a good job. I get why people want the real CRT experience but the difference can't be compared to virtual/real pinball.

Agree virtual pinball is awful compared to the real thing where knocked up cabs and lcd isn’t.

Agree virtual pinball is awful compared to the real thing where knocked up cabs and lcd isn’t.
If we all thought the same thing life would be boring, but I totally disagree with above. Virtual Pinball is actually getting very good and some of the latest table are amazing, but will never match the real thing. In the same vein I have never seen a knocked up cab with an LCD that comes anywhere close to the experience you get from the real thing and many people in the arcade community feel that way. Virtual Pins and Bar top arcade machines offer a lot of fun to casual players, but no genuine Pinball Machine or Arcade Machine owner would trade for an imitation.

Back
Top Bottom