What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bubble Bobble

Marcel

Site Supporter
I have a friend wanting an original Bubble Bobble arcade (by taito I think). He would happily have other games in it.

Could anyone suggest a way of doing this?

My guess would be buy a 2 player cabinet and then install software. But you quickly get into which cabinet and which software.

I'm aware you can get 100 million games in a cabinet these days but I find that detracts from the user friendly function of just one game.
However to have several games within a user friendly platform would be an advantage I think.

Please let me know if you guys have any ideas.

Sent from the comfort of my sofa

I've been playing it today on Taitox2 with a multidrive

One of the best arcade soundtracks........

Best bet is probably a Meme Cabinet and then just set it so it boots directly to the Bubble Bobble front end.

The PCB goes for silly money now (£400 plus!).

Sorry jag but what is a meme cabinet, have you got an example please?

And what is a PCB & will it require one?

Sorry jag but what is a meme cabinet, have you got an example please?

And what is a PCB & will it require one?

Meme is a PC based arcade system where you can play a selection of games. You can easily build your own. Have a Google.

PCB - Printed Circuit Board. In arcade terms, think of it like a game cartridge. If you want to play it on original hardware, you would do it on a PCB.

Pandora's box 5s. Plugs into any JAMA cabinet or harness. Boots in seconds and you can remove the 999 games you don't want. My 4 year old can turn the thing on and use the menu

Attachments

• IMG_20191102_235920661.jpg
    IMG_20191102_235920661.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20191102_235959535.jpg
    IMG_20191102_235959535.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20191102_235939384.jpg
    IMG_20191102_235939384.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20191103_000014547.jpg
    IMG_20191103_000014547.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 26
+1 for Pandoras box 5.

You can put in a PI - or the easiest thing it to buy one with everything loaded on ebay for about £100.

The PI would need 'shutting down' but the pandoras box doesnt mind being powered down by unplugging it without warning.

I had an old small form factor PC that I ripped apart and used the motherboard and RAM from. Used an old computer monitor for the screen with perspex over the top.
The cabinet was made out of MDF from some drawings that were freely available on the net.
It was then a case of assembling, sanding, painting, getting some artwork drawn up in Photoshop and printed by a local graphics place.
Installed a power supply, car type speakers and a small amplifier for the sound.
Then went through the long process of setting up Hyperspin etc.
So in a word, No, not easy, but kept me busy for a few months a couple of years ago.
You can buy kits I believe now, that give you all the cabinet cut ready to assemble and then stick a raspberry Pi inside running images that are available on the net.
Have a Google around if you want to go down that route, but it's not for the purists out there, that like a full size, proper cab with a crt screen.

It's all in the prep and ground work. I spent a month getting the bits together for my bartop but it only took a day and a bit to make. Again from scratch but I used 12mm ply, the pandora 5s and some old pc speakers.

If you didn't do the plastic work it can easily be done in a few hours without interruption.

So after googling that Pandora Box 5s, am I right in thinking it's a 2 player joystick and buttons controller unit that could plug into my tv for fun n games?

If so, this would be a great Christmas pressie for my big brother. This would also sort my friends want of a bubble bobble if he is happy for bot the full arcade stand up cabinet. I am sure his wife will be happier with a tuck away item.

So after googling that Pandora Box 5s, am I right in thinking it's a 2 player joystick and buttons controller unit that could plug into my tv for fun n games?

If so, this would be a great Christmas pressie for my big brother. This would also sort my friends want of a bubble bobble if he is happy for bot the full arcade stand up cabinet. I am sure his wife will be happier with a tuck away item.

Yes, like this...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/999-in-1...962916?hash=item3d927233a4:g:gPkAAOSwxtRda9zU

Someone at work has one similar and it has the facility to add a raspberry pi and any of its emulation. Has a switch on the back to swap between them.

Yes, like this...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/999-in-1...962916?hash=item3d927233a4:g:gPkAAOSwxtRda9zU

Someone at work has one similar and it has the facility to add a raspberry pi and any of its emulation. Has a switch on the back to swap between them.
Does anyone know if HDMI does audi included as that would be best to send it straight to my av receiver if it does.

Same with straight to tv I suppose?

I notice it has a separate audio jack that is why i ask.

Seriously thinking about getting this to trial before giving it away to big brother and his family for Christmas.

Last edited:
Tell you what amazes me, me n my mate loved the game but I never saw it in the wild yet so many of you lot have a version and obviously also loved it.

As an Arcade Purist.........My Eyes, my beautiful eyes........ :0)

I’m sorry Jag man!
im really looking forward to playing games like Metal Slugs, final fight, Cadillacs & Dinosaurs, sunset riders, street fighter, killer instinct, to name a Small few.
These cabinets/ PCB would cost a lot and take up space.
Don’t mind the 1 machine that plays a all games- but hate Virtual Pinball - can’t beat a physical table..or 10!

Back
Top Bottom