What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Atari Asteroids Deluxe/Major Havoc/Tempest scratch build - the journey!!

myPinballs

Site Supporter
Alias
Jim
Starting a journey thread for the creation of my Atari cabaret vector cabinet.

The idea is to use some plans of an Atari battle zone cabaret cab to create my own. Then manufacture by ordering precut rectangular plywood sheets and then cutting all necessary holes slots and shapes using templates and a diy router.

Starting a journey thread for the creation of my Atari cabaret vector cabinet.

The idea is to use some plans of an Atari battle zone cabaret cab to create my own. Then manufacture by ordering precut rectangular plywood sheets and then cutting all necessary holes slots and shapes using templates and a diy router.
You may already be aware Jim but this is a great resource

Using the plans available online I created a custom cutting list and ordered the wood. Arrived yesterday evening

0CF53C5F-6CF5-494E-84B0-C3CFFF66AF46.jpeg34FA282B-7EF0-4068-AF05-E4B3BFB90E99.jpeg

Some more parts cut - speaker panel sides and the cuts on the front panel started. Ran out of daylight!

D7841B51-17AB-48DB-9E5B-4650FA8A0928.jpeg95418C15-5CC7-4A86-9B6D-2A70CBBA80A6.jpegDA780F7E-7B85-48EE-8F0B-71F8A5395385.jpeg

Not bad routing :)
Yes I am attempting to get cnc quality results using diy tools so it’s time consuming but worth it. Using Guide templates And router bits with ball bearings. Also if I was making a second one it would be much faster now I’ve worked out a few things.

I will be making the wood cutting list, design files and template files available as a kit for other people wanting to make one later to

Those cutters and trim bits aren’t cheap. Nice skills with the power tools Jim!

Need to kick on with my cab - you don’t mess about do you?

Front panel now completed cutting wise. The most complicated part done. 1 minor mistake to sort out but pretty happy with the results so far. You do need patience though 😁

ABD49519-6646-4072-B15C-7AB32547BB00.jpeg

80040C83-AB12-4ECF-97AC-90D629928498.jpegB5E812B1-D509-4FAB-A923-94203C882D0C.jpeg76AA507C-21D2-4529-A88C-25A036D13B1E.jpegCA2C2990-4291-4900-9CE4-3B90B25B7005.jpeg

Also both inner sides got the first coat of primer and back door lock hole cut. Ready now for some filling, sanding and more priming before the satin black coats

663EED3C-D2F1-4DE1-BD8D-A71B29D6704A.jpegC20F9B51-A738-4694-A6CA-4D54A89C9B35.jpeg3F8A9E3E-1D62-4D84-9341-89AE57AE79EA.jpeg

As you know Jim, it is all about having the correct tools. Using templates is the best way, along with spending money on decent bits for the router.

You have done well.

I still use a lot of templates when working on guitars.

We would all love a CNC machine but would it earn its keep long term ?

As you know Jim, it is all about having the correct tools. Using templates is the best way, along with spending money on decent bits for the router.

You have done well.

I still use a lot of templates when working on guitars.

We would all love a CNC machine but would it earn its keep long term ?
If I had space for a cnc machine I’d use it every frikin day 😁😁 As I mentioned before my old man used to run a wood machine shop for some 35 years, so I had plenty of practice growing up ! Still a real bummer he got ill and had to sell up too early. Would have been a real godsend nowadays

this sort of thing for me though is just a nice break from electronics to clear the head :) Different set of skills needed

Nice Laser cut templates you have there Jim ;)

looking forward to seeying the completed result.

Nice Laser cut templates you have there Jim ;)

looking forward to seeying the completed result.
Yeah some guy them out for me :) ha ha

of course having col here with his laser cutter is very useful for these projects . Cheers col 👍🏻👍🏻

though I should have got thicker templates made like my other straight wood guides at 12mm not 3mm as it makes things much easier with the ball bearing cutters. You learn as you go though

I can cut upto 12mm but the cutters I use I manage with 3mm fine.
maybe try 6 if you do another style.

Oh I’m currently making a 2 piece Cab a bar top that sits on a base.
The profile looks kinda strange but will make sense once done.
This is a half size template for design reasons.

image.jpg

Panel cutting is now complete :) Just have the internal corner battons to cut into lengths. These are 20mm x 20mm square. Bought a few lengths of 2.4mm to cut down to right sizes. Fixed a couple of minor errors today with p38 to.

As for the panels i am now on to the sanding & filling stage, then will be primer coat 2. The front panel will most likely have a few more as this one needs to be super smooth. the sides are getting filled and primed before being painted black on the inside edge. The outside edge is being filled and sanded ready for the american walnut veneer.

IMG_8030.JPG

Last edited:
Love it Jim, very cool. What are you doing monitor and internals wise?

I have an original asteroids deluxe PCB but the plan to begin with is to use an lcd monitor with a shelf mount and the embedded mame board I have to run major havoc, Tempest and asteroids

I am searching for all the original parts to inc a colour vector 15” monitor but the above setup will be first call. Finding original parts may take some time but it is to help fix vector pcbs eventually

power wise I will be recreating the original setup and might end up designing a new ar2 esque PCB. I have an original marquee lamp board ready to put in

the transformer panel I need to think about. I’d like just an original I think though a switcher and a separate 110v transformer could work

On the painting front I am using a mixture of processes. The layers will be 1 primer /undercoat sanded with 240 dry then 2 coats of black satin top coat with a 400 wet sand inbetween fit all panels except the front which is getting 2 primer layers

I want the panels to feel authentic so I’m having to rein myself in alittle not to make the top and back etc too smooth!!!

the sides are black on the inside and walnut veneer on the outside. We may be doing the veneer job at the weekend!

Back
Top Bottom