What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone else underwhelmed by the new Star Trek

Yep, houses in pit villages near me for £60k. Not that you would want to live there like
60k for a pin shack - bargain;) Bit far to travel.

Saw a flat in London the other day advertised as a "starter" - price. £5.5 million:eek: Who the hell has that type of money? And are they buying pins with it?

Just noticed the ac/dc esq fire button on the lockdown bar. Looks like something may shoot

Just noticed the ac/dc esq fire button on the lockdown bar. Looks like something may shoot

Its used for Photon Torpedoes and Phasers apparently ....I *think* it may be used in game modes, rather than actually physically firing anything on the playfield. Speculating here but I don't see anything obvious that would fire stuff.

Uk prices released. £7200 + £70 if you want a coin mech for the LE

Bang,bang,bang fooking bang another nail in pinballs coffin if that stays as it is.Tho truth be told if it werent for us lot(pinheads) there would be 2 inches dirt on the coffin by now
Since JJP came on the scene prices ahve gone up many many %.
Aint picking on Jack,picking on both.

They may get more per pin profit rise but for these prices they will be selling less and less so therefore making less money really

Sad

Tbf most people paid $6500 for WOZ.

26' LCD, clear coated cab, powder coated parts, invisiglass, topper, shaker, RBG LEDs, crystal ball, flying monkey, spinning house, castle doors etc.

You can see where the money went. 2 plastic toys and pf art that looks knocked up in MS Paint?

You did well done Johnathan for getting a WOZ @ £4.3k then,back when pins were affordable.Plus at that price if ever sold,you would make lots of money,tho TBH I feel you like me,ike keeping certain pins

Just seen the You tube footage. Wanted to be excited and for some reason I'm not.

Am I missing something? Obviously interested in playing it but after all the hype was hoping for something visually a lot more stunning

Not the biggest Stern fan but I thought Metallica looked ace. This looks dog**** imo and is slated to be their most expensive yet!? Right under flipper shot is totally stolen from WOZ too. Where the hell has the £6500 been spent?

To be fair mate,VERY LITTLE is original nowadays.

TX Sector had a return to shooter lane and thats the mid 80's.
My Ramones from the late 70's has it too.

This just has a flipper near it too,which is like Seawitch.
SM is similar ish too

they all rob from each other,which is fine with me

WOZ aint orginal on this one,they jsut adapted form other designs from the past,as many others have

Love the inline drops on MET,robbed from other games too.It aint bad robbing ideas or amalgamating them.

Volbeat combines rockabilly,country,metal, rock and is AWESOME music

I'm only not enamoured by the £300 price increase so far, I want to see what it's for. At the moment it buys an awful DMD cover and a new skool back box. As always I'm reserving judgement until I play it with a resonably finished rule set in place(I've reserved and reserved judgement on WoZ for so long, but I want the rules to be good even though I have reservations about the whole thing - so I do try to give games a fair shout)

Dearer cos they think they can?

poi

I'm hoping/betting this game has a bit of the light show from Tron LE. Those ramp lights are the reason the LE goes for so much and people beg for a Premium run. Star Trek is the ideal game to replicate some of that light show. I think there are a few features we've yet to see. Got to agree that it looks pretty sparse for the money though. It's actually refreshing to see pin collectors finally saying enough is enough with the price gouging.

I quite like the playfield artwork and I reckon it'll look much better in play with the GI and inserts. Less garish.

I have a love/hate thing with Stern, love the fact they're keeping pinball current but hate how they're rinsing people of as much cash as possible and not making it very accessible for 'the average Joe'.

Playfield looks better in person and lit up as I suspected. It reminds me of the Iron Man pf.

forum

I have a love/hate thing with Stern, love the fact they're keeping pinball current but hate how they're rinsing people of as much cash as possible and not making it very accessible for 'the average Joe'.

Plenty of people - mid aged ...good income...- now in position to indulge in new pins. They tend not to hang around on here with us peasants :D If they weren't selling at those prices Stern would rethink it. They are in the biz to sell pins and make money, and they clearly are. So be it.

Stern are cranking out 2 or 3 titles a year. If they go cheaper you might be in the JJ world of production .....1 every couple of years, dribbling off the production line a handful at a time. That may all change if/when they get more established.

Just too much coin for me and thought it would be LCD. May go Pro if I like it but prices are getting crazzzeeeee!

Dearer cos they think they can?

poi

Seems that way, they should either have raised prices and stuck at 500 LE's or raised LE numbers and stuck at same price - doing both seems cheeky. After seeing dealers making tons of money on Metallica, it's understandable they want their piece of the pie but it sucks.

There may be something immense that we have all yet to see, but it doesn't appear so. Steve Ritchie is a genius when it comes to making a layout, it may be a rehash of an old one but there are only so many things you can do on a 4 x 2ft piece of wood. My fingers are well and truly crossed that it's awesome :D

Plenty of people - mid aged ...good income...- now in position to indulge in new pins. They tend not to hang around on here with us peasants :D If they weren't selling at those prices Stern would rethink it. They are in the biz to sell pins and make money, and they clearly are. So be it.

Stern are cranking out 2 or 3 titles a year. If they go cheaper you might be in the JJ world of production .....1 every couple of years, dribbling off the production line a handful at a time. That may all change if/when they get more established.

You condoning the price increase?

You condoning the price increase?

No ...clearly we would all like things as cheap as possible. But its a business - its clearly working for them right now. Only they know the numbers. Yes 'we' may not like high prices but reality is most of 'us' are highly unlikely to buy NIB pins anyway....no matter how much we talk about it. Even when they were 3K how many of 'us' were buying new ??

To be fair mate,VERY LITTLE is original nowadays.

TX Sector had a return to shooter lane and thats the mid 80's.
My Ramones from the late 70's has it too.

This just has a flipper near it too,which is like Seawitch.

they all rob from each other,which is fine with me

Love the inline drops on MET,robbed from other games too.It aint bad robbing ideas or amalgamating them.

Looking at the pictures, the upper flipper itself is the barrier to the shooter lane, rather than a lifting gate (as on many EM games) or a drop target, like on Space Invaders. The last time I saw a flipper concealing an opening to the shooter lane was on Stern's 'Nugent' (1979), which was by the same designer as Seawitch.

At one time, a pinball wasn't a Bally without in-line drop targets.

Last edited:
Even when they were 3K how many of 'us' were buying new ??

How many of us WOULDN'T be buying new now if they were still 3k?

I suspect I'd probably be buying at least 1 new machine a year at that price and turning them over far quicker.

How many of us WOULDN'T be buying new now if they were still 3k?

I suspect I'd probably be buying at least 1 new machine a year at that price and turning them over far quicker.

Yes 'now' ...for sure ...but that's partly because the price of all other games has risen dramatically and so 3K doesn't seem that much for a NIB.

Back when LOTR was 3K NIB ... (or less maybe ??? ) ......... most DMD games were 400 - 750, a few were over 1K, and only MM was commanding 2K plus.

But it does beg the question whether Stern would be better dropping their prices and cleaning up on the home market? It would cut the legs straight from under JJP etc. How many Ops are going to drop £6k+ on a machine? You'd need 12,000 plays to get your money back. Can't see most locations doing that. I know there is still a resale value when you sell it at the end but it's a big wedge to stomp up for a minimal return. Sooner or later someone is going to kill the golden goose.

I suspect most of Stern's costs are in development, so why don't they re-run older machines at a lower price point and effectively have a "back catalog"

Yeah - fair point. Though I think most ops still gonna go for the Pro option @ 4.5K .

However I think for pinball the traditional op isn't really there anymore . More often than not it seems to be enthusiasts putting them on site , this certainly seems to be quite common in the States- and with a buoyant 2nd hand market its not too hard to shift them a year later and get back a good bit of yr cash.

Yes 'now' ...for sure ...but that's partly because the price of all other games has risen dramatically and so 3K doesn't seem that much for a NIB.

Back when LOTR was 3K NIB ... (or less maybe ??? ) ......... most DMD games were 400 - 750, a few were over 1K, and only MM was commanding 2K plus.

That's what they were like when I first started thinking about getting pins

The more I look at this table the more I'm looking forward to it. The best theme from Stern (for me) in a long time.... Hate teaser trailers though, we need live footage of it ! Otherwise, fingers crossed Phil can get hold of one soon. :)

Didn't you see the video footage of the new Star Trek being played on Stern's fb page yesterday?
All 10 seconds of it! :rofl:

Pffffff. Crazy money and not a very exciting looking playfield imo. Couldn't the reason for the higher price on this pin be more to do with the Star Trek license fees?

Loved Metallica though, best Stern pin in ages imo. I'd like to own it one day but sadly too poor to buy new at the moment :(

Back
Top Bottom