What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone concerned about playfield issues JJP and Stern? Or seen them?

If that were the case you would think CPR would notice and reject them prior to sticking then in?

Surely they wouldn't put inserts like that in?
Shocking and feel your pain, I have a repro playfield with some faults, I have no confidence in these new playfields at all.

I had another look and the bubbles appear to be in the clear not in the inserts themselves. I am concerned that it will get worse over time. I have e-mailed CPR, but have not had a reply yet. I am really disappointed as I specifically asked them to double check this one before shipping it, after the problems with the first one.

Bubbles and crazing, some kind of reaction going on.
On pinside I have read people send there new repro playfields to be checked and finished properly by someone else!

so JP LE's have the new play field....

but after 27 plays on a new pro with washers:

3e6069cb80d819f5c56cfed7774ef73f97314f10.jpeg.jpg

Or no clear and a playfield protector at least it wouldn’t bubble up and easy to renew, joke though isn’t it.

Anyone think Deeproot will be using a hardtop type product if and when they do eventually release a pin?

Anyone seen the Jurassic Parks at Tilt and Chief coffee? How are the posts on these? Did they ship with washers?

Don’t know why people would be surprised that Stern’s big BOM reduction drive wouldn’t extend to playfield quality too. It’s not just drop targets and plastic ramps instead of wireforms.

Cheap wood, cheap art, cheap clear.

Anyone buying a NIB Stern at the moment with knowledge of this issue deserves to suffer it. You don’t have to buy the latest shiny thing people.

Anyone seen the Jurassic Parks at Tilt and Chief coffee? How are the posts on these? Did they ship with washers?
Our pro playfield has the washers fitted. No chipping or visible issues. There is a tiny tiny piece of pooling under one post but it’s hidden and you’d need a magnifying glass to find it.
Our deadpool has pooling under one post too, which I only spotted the other day after looking for ages, and again it’s hidden. I would likely find more blemishes on our other games if searched hard enough, but not concerned or bothered to be honest

Problem is the pooling leads to artwork lifting or chipping off. As linked above there’s a guy who has had some artwork chip off after 27 plays... :(

Problem is the pooling leads to artwork lifting or chipping off. As linked above there’s a guy who has had some artwork chip off after 27 plays... :(
I doubt it, unless the ball is coming into contact with any pooling I suppose. Our deadpool is a year old with thousands and thousands of plays and the pooling under one post is intact, no chipping or lifting of the art or clear. The metal balls smashing into everything else is more of a concern

As @mufcmufc says, pooling is nothing new and most of the time has been hidden or goes unseen under plastics/ball guides etc

I think a post or washer etc stuck to the clear coat because it’s not cured properly will eventually crack the clear etc off from the ball impact hitting it, then if you need to remove it from the playfield there is a good chance it’s stuck. Only guessing though.

I doubt it, unless the ball is coming into contact with any pooling I suppose. Our deadpool is a year old with thousands and thousands of plays and the pooling under one post is intact, no chipping or lifting of the art or clear. The metal balls smashing into everything else is more of a concern
Well, I’m glad yours isn’t showing issues, but do you think it’s acceptable that it has pooling at all?

Also my experience is limited but my Stern Tron doesn’t have any pooling, at all. If I was paying the sort of money these pins cost, particularly with the exchange rate the way it is, I don’t think it’s an unreasonable expectation that it has a cured clearcoat on it - and not washers or black circles instead of artwork, which is a bandaid solution at best.

Nope doesn’t bother me. Loads of modern stern titles (and other manufacturers too) have blemishes, pooling or various imperfections if you look hard enough.
Not offended by washers either, they can always be removed if you don’t like em

I think Sam's response above is spot on, but also highlights the difference between operators and collectors.

With or without pooling, these games are going to take the same money on site. Yes it will affect their resale value but after a few thousand plays, the playfield arent likely to be perfect anyway.

Collectors who are buying and then looking to sell a completely perfect machine after a hundred or so games are obviously going to be more bothered, especially if it isnt every game affected. If yours is pooling when others arent it affects the value even more I think.

From my POV if I was looking at a second hand game I wouldn’t take one with chipping... I think it’s going to be hard to sell them without a huge hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah - chipping is not good is it? Dimples I accept. But they really need to sort this.

They should be built to withstand being played....

As yet has either manufacturer said 'We are sorry - we messed up' ?

On other companies like Deeproot. Let's just see if they can make a game first shall we....?

Never been a fan of playfield protectors. At the end of the day - customers should not have to be discussing this.

The problem from a home buyers perspective is you buy NIB that has pooling.
You ignore it as the “new norm” as doesn’t cause any immediate concern. After time your warranty expires........low and behold you then notice some chipping.
Later you may want to move the Pin on.......just try explaining to any new perspective buyer that the manufacturer says all is good as this is normal and expected.
Yeah....good luck 😬

My worry is that this is the thin end of the wedge and big clumps of the stuff starts coming off.

From my POV if I was looking at a second hand game I wouldn’t take one with chipping... I think it’s going to be hard to sell them without a huge hit.

This is why it's a deal breaker for me. I rarely keep a game longer than 6 months, I'll be losing an absolute wedge on a damaged one

The problem from a home buyers perspective is you buy NIB that has pooling.
You ignore it as the “new norm” as doesn’t cause any immediate concern. After time your warranty expires........low and behold you then notice some chipping.
Later you may want to move the Pin on.......just try explaining to any new perspective buyer that the manufacturer says all is good as this is normal and expected.
Yeah....good luck 😬
My worry is that this is the thin end of the wedge and big clumps of the stuff starts coming off.

It might happen it might not.
chipping pfs, broken wires, plastics, fried node boards, motherboards, mechs etc etc there’s tons that could or might go wrong.
I don’t worry about it, it’s likely gona happen sooner or later

Back
Top Bottom