What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All aboard for the James Bond 007 Hype train!

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
The price that was mentioned to me is £25K-£30K.

If you buy it you must either:
1 - Have no brains.
and/or.....
2 - Poop cash.
and/or......
3 - Have this money lying around after paying your bills for a month.

I suspect all but 2 members on here will not buy one. At that price I would be scared to launch a ball on it......

500 will sell worldwide as it's Elwin, and in most folks eyes, he can not put a foot wrong.

Do not worry folks - someone will leak photos..... Then everyone can discuss something they will never own and maybe never even play.

1 - Have no brains.
and/or.....
2 - Poop cash.
and/or......

I suspect all but 2 members on here will not buy one. At that price I would be scared to launch a ball on it......

500 will sell worldwide as it's Elwin, and in most folks eyes, he can not put a foot wrong.

Do not worry folks - someone will leak photos..... Then everyone can discuss something they will never own and maybe never even play.

I think it's the 'never play' part that is probably most frustrating.

Nothing new about elite things you'll never see I guess. There's cars you'll never drive and art you'll never see but if anything indicates the way pinball is going it's this.

Not an LE or a tweaked version of a game you'll find on location. This is a private, exclusive game that even Elwins biggest fans won't ever be able to access.

I think it's the 'never play' part that is probably most frustrating.

Nothing new about elite things you'll never see I guess. There's cars you'll never drive and art you'll never see but if anything indicates the way pinball is going it's this.

Not an LE or a tweaked version of a game you'll find on location. This is a private, exclusive game that even Elwins biggest fans won't ever be able to access.
Looking at the 'normal' versions of Bond, none of them make we want to play them.

Looking at the 'normal' versions of Bond, none of them make we want to play them.

I like the look of some of the shots and am definitely partial to a Gomez game. I'm also sure the music and assets will add to the experience.

I'm very much looking forward to playing one (obviously the paupers Aldi edition not the caviar Elwin version 🤣).

I like the look of some of the shots and am definitely partial to a Gomez game. I'm also sure the music and assets will add to the experience.

I'm very much looking forward to playing one (obviously the paupers Aldi edition not the caviar Elwin version 🤣).
It’s got some similar shots to dp pro ! You’ll like the pro very flowy

So my thoughts while they are still fresh …

Thankfully for me the only thing that was swaying me towards a premium if I was to buy one, is the physical ball lock round the rocket (lady toy) . The underwater scene and bond on a wand I thought certainly wasn’t worth the upgrade but the physical lock I thought was the big question mark for me .

As suspected the underwater scene though looks pretty cool does nothing at all to enhance the game , bond on the wand I never got that going so true to form both pretty crap . The physical ball lock for me although cool and similar to gz in the way it springs the ball vertical causes gameplay to stop for the launch of the next ball . On the pro the virtual ball lock really keeps the game going , ball lock is triggered the three drop targets and the mini orbit from the left lower flipper to the right side of the lady tool into the mini orbit passing the left upper flipper is absolute butter.

The ball can then be recaptured on the left lower flipper for another repeat until multi ball is initiated. For me personally less is more in this section and the physical ball lock of the premium is no match for the flow on the pro .

From the right lower flipper up to the left orbit to the wire frame the right pass bond back to the left lower flipper is a top shot and very satisfying indeed and very similar to the orbit shot on dp premium .

Shots from the left upper flipper to the ramps on the right is somewhat tricky to hit but fast and satisfying when you do taking the ball down to the right lower flipper

Shots from left lower flipper in between the ramps going up to the pops top right is a lovely shot allowing you to relax for a moment whilst the ball hits the pops

Aston ball lock is pretty easy to hit and I’d say not as tricky as the gz scoop or gotg scoop

Left lower flipper to far right ramp is satisfying and fast back to the right flipper

On both models the targets at the back of the rocket feel clumsy, when the ball bounces up there it feels like a bit of a blag and slows the game down

Overall from the dozen or so games I had I’d say the cleaner layout of the top left side of the pro is defo better , there’s that much going on on the right side to go for the premium feels too full and a bit clunky .

I felt the pro really is the right option for me personally on this if I was to buy one . The code is definitely shallow with huge bits missing , call outs etc .

The bond music is certainly good and makes you want to chant it as you play it but does get repetitive as it plays on loops due to not much code

The back glass on the pro is lovely and in my opinion better than the premium . The yellow cab didn’t offend me as it fits in with the bond retro theme very well

Unfortunately I can’t defend the actual cabinet art work for me it’s certainly the biggest thing that spoils it , up close the images aren’t sharp and let’s face it the side art with the posters is just kack.

It reeks Gomez for sure , if you like dead pool etc and you like bond you’ll love this

Code will certainly come and the game will no doubt be excellent with many great shots that are very satisfying unfortunately the one thing that you just want to shake stern about for is the cabinet art … if franchi had done the art it would of been a complete package ….

Having said that I played this then went and played on a Toy Story ce they had and this wins by a country mile and I’m so happy for me this is a stern that the pro has it all which is great as it’s the cheapest option

Hope this helps anyone like me that just couldn’t work out if that physical ball lock was worth the upgrade … absolutely not in my case

Cheers Paul

1 - Have no brains.
and/or.....
2 - Poop cash.
and/or......

You have to remember that not all stern crazy priced Le and super Le are a hit bm66 super Le s were not
And Beatles was a super disaster with much less production numbers than 500
It’s only recently that they have doubled number s up on standard Le to 1000 5 years ago ph would have Le in stock for over a year on most models
With most people already forked out £15500 for an Le then it’s very doubtful they are going to pay another 25k for one unless it’s Mega mega
I think Beatles was aimed at fans and collectors but obviously there where not many pinball Beatles fans and none that wanted to pay ridiculous money for one
Stern will always win as distributor s will be forced to have them electrocoin might need to clear a space next to the Beatles for some bond 60th edition

I'm sure I was quoted something like £5500 for a Tron LE on pre-order back in 2011. Now we are talking £20,000+ for an LE 🤯

I know prices have gone up and the £ has gone down, but that still leaves about £10k of pure profiteering from Stern

I'm sure I was quoted something like £5500 for a Tron LE on pre-order back in 2011. Now we are talking £20,000+ for an LE 🤯

I know prices have gone up and the £ has gone down, but that still leaves about £10k of pure profiteering from Stern
You are correct I bought a tron le nib and it was £5500
Also x men Le £5995

but that still leaves about £10k of pure profiteering from Stern
Profiteering is surely selling an essential item at inflated prices - such as fuel, hand sanitiser, nappies etc.

Under no circumstances is a pinball machine essential - if the value you put on an item matches the selling price, buy it, if it doesn't don't. Stern - and every other retailer -is a business who are trying to sell their product for as much as the market determines. They are under no obligation to sell at a price that is affordable to the masses.

It's unlikely, the license cost for bond would have been astronomical, some of the more recent bond film made as much money from product placement than the gross. I suspect doing a very limited run enabled them to offset these costs to be able to produce the game. It's a shame, also if it's across all the bonds including Craig this would have increased the complexity and costs. Asset holders have become a lot more smarter to the value of IP, Tron they needed geek word of mouth and lots of products to try and launch a franchise, unfortunately it didn't work out, that film surprisingly didn't make enough to warrant the planned sequel. There are assets out there that are lower value the likes of spooky have been smart in seeking these out. If you go after a rolls Royce IP unfortunately you will have to pay a rolls Royce price.

The most irritating thing about this is producing a totally different game, that has the potential to change things, it depends if the market buys or doesn't. With the way pinflation is at the moment dumping £25k in a bond pinball might not be such a dumb move. Thats if you have that sort of money to invest in a toy, the majority of us don't. What will be a shame is if the people who kept stern afloat in the bad times are totally priced out of the market. The rich toy playground will only work for a short time whilst it's in fashion. Personally it's not a long term business plan, but time will tell if they work them self's to bankruptcy by trying to turn a revenue generator, venue value add and niche home market into a luxury brand. I think many pricing decision makers are still in the delusional phase caused by the pinball museum auction in the us, that overvalued almost every pin sold, on some cases massively.

I think the biggest challenge for the UK market is the dollar rate, the actual US RRP isn't that bad in the scheme of things, it's the VAT, shipping, import duty that has pushed it up to a silly level. If the pound continues to slide the UK will be priced out, unfortunately due to stern locking the software, which I fully understand due to distribution agreements, a NITB for the UK might end up being £20k. Still there always spooky buying direct 🙄🤔

Back
Top Bottom