What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All aboard for the James Bond 007 Hype train!

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
Does anyone really care that much about the recent Bond themes? I’d struggle to identify the plot of any of one’s since the late 80s.

As a theme lots of iconic images/toys. As a recent standalone film it’s going to date really badly.

The overall attraction of the franchise has always surely been far greater than the individual parts.

So is it definitely Gomez? I dunno what to make of that really, his games shoot weird. Sometimes good weird (Deadpool) sometimes bad weird (Bored of the Rings). I think we can all agree it's good Pat Lawlor is at JJP and not involved at least

Does anyone really care that much about the recent Bond themes? I’d struggle to identify the plot of any of one’s since the late 80s.

As a theme lots of iconic images/toys. As a recent standalone film it’s going to date really badly.

The overall attraction of the franchise has always surely been far greater than the individual parts.
Agreed, Bond for me is Connery and Moore. The recent films are just generic action movies.

I usually watch them every couple of years and stop when it gets to Timothy Dalton.

Dalton is underrated, good solid Bond outings.

Living Daylights is oooookay ish, Licence to Kill is great. I really liked Dalton as Bond though. I like Lazenby as well in On Her Majesty's Secret Service. I think the Brosnan ones are the most forgettable. Goldeneye is top tier but all the others are pretty bad, especially The World is Not Enough which is absolute junk, even Denise Richard's prancing about can't save it. The Craig one's are fine but kinda humourless and they vary wildly in terms of quality.

Dalton is the closest Bond to the books in my view. Agree apart for Goldeneye brosnan sucks. Craig is decent but took Bond too far away from the books.

Connery is classic again played his own way. Moore is just one huge one liner fest.

I've watched them all but as you suggested I've struggled to really get attached to the more recent ones. They seem to lack personality.

Moore, Connery and even Brosnan had charisma and humour to varying degrees. Daniel Craig is neither charismatic or funny and I'm afraid that Q now lacks both of those qualities too.

In fact the whole supporting cast seem to lack character and screen presence so I can only assume whoever is in charge of casting is crap. I guess you can have a bland Bond but if the supporting cast are beige, the gadgets are stripped out and the fight scenes compare unfavorably to Jason Bourne then it's not going to measure up to films like Live & Let Die.

Last edited:
Broad Arrow Auctions is thrilled to announce the consignment of the personal Aston Martin DB5 of legendary actor and icon, Sir Sean Connery, for the upcoming auction to be held at the Monterey Jet Center this 18 August. Visit http://broadarrowauctions.com for more information.

Expected to be around £1.5 million 🤩 ……… Gadgets not fitted

I don’t wish to be pedantic, but the graphics look much closer to 16-bit than 8-bit games.
Agreed - either 16 bit era console, or more so 90s arcade style graphics. Whenever I see the Deadpool animations I wish there was an option to add a scanline/crt filter:) (was playing the new Turles game the other day, Shredder's Revenge and it was really bugging me that there no scanline option!
Alot of people who didn't grow up with crt tvs and have gotten into retogaming don't realise how beautiful graphics looked back then through a proper monitor/TV and think they are supposed to look either pixilated and harsh, or blurry like they do through an LCD (lag is another story...)
I play old consoles* on an LCD but run the signal via an OSSC box and it looks awesome and without lag.
*when I can be ****d to set everything up and not just use emulators with scanline/HLSL filters etc)
Don't get me started on people who play retrogames at PAL 50Hz!....
Sorry - didn't mean to de-rail the thread he he!...

I love Moore tbh.
Agreed - either 16 bit era console, or more so 90s arcade style graphics. Whenever I see the Deadpool animations I wish there was an option to add a scanline/crt filter:) (was playing the new Turles game the other day, Shredder's Revenge and it was really bugging me that there no scanline option!
Alot of people who didn't grow up with crt tvs and have gotten into retogaming don't realise how beautiful graphics looked back then through a proper monitor/TV and think they are supposed to look either pixilated and harsh, or blurry like they do through an LCD (lag is another story...)
I play old consoles* on an LCD but run the signal via an OSSC box and it looks awesome and without lag.
*when I can be ****d to set everything up and not just use emulators with scanline/HLSL filters etc)
Don't get me started on people who play retrogames at PAL 50Hz!....
Sorry - didn't mean to de-rail the thread he he!...

I went pretty deep down this rabbit hole;

finally can share!

He always runs while others walk;
He acts while other men just talk.
They call him the winner who takes all;
And he strikes like Thunderball
He knows the meaning of success;
His needs are more so he gives less.
He looks at this world and once in all;
Then he strikes like Thunderball
Any woman he wants, he'll get;
He will break any heart without regret
His days of asking are all gone;
His fight goes on, and on, and on.
But he thinks that the fight is worth it all;
So he strikes like Thunderball...

I can see this. Really got all the elements of a bond film. Classic connery, spectre, etc. Story is pretty good too.
Possibly cheaper to licence than goldfinger which is peak connery.
I could see a From Russia With Love, suitcase mode. Collect the sovereigns, explosive talc, dagger, close it, flip the latches & detonate for the jackpot.

I'm up for Thunderball tbh. Feel like if you're going Connery it's not the first choice but still, at least it's Connery

It was only ever going to be Goldfinger or Thunderball if they went Connery due to the rumoured DB5 mech. Both films would give it more to chew on though.

Thunder balls main villain was emillo largo and his villainous lair the disco volante was a yacht that could break into a hydrofoil, guess it could make for a cool mech.

Surprised if it’s next though as Eddy has had far longer to develop his game than Gomez…

I’m only interested in Bond..

I can see it now, Foil DB5 On the cab, ball ejector seat mech…

Ooooooooo. I gotta know.. 🤯

I’m only interested in Bond..

I can see it now, Foil DB5 On the cab, ball ejector seat mech…

Ooooooooo. I gotta know.. 🤯
I keep hearing Venom but seems Neil has heard the same news fed to Kaneda a week or so ago which I thought was a wind up like all the false toy story news Kaneda got fed.

Both out my kidneys in danger as my kids love Marvel and will actually play Marvel pinball willingly, Deadpool being a favourite of them both.

Back
Top Bottom