What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All aboard for the Godzilla Hype Train!

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
From memory they worked out a way to circumvent it after a few days, can't remember the specifics though.

Edit

Found the details. Excerpt is from this post

To protect Scorbit's customers, we found a way to solve the problems around the serial driver, and then Stern striked again, responding by modifying the kernel to prevent any serial driver reinstallation !

Fortunately, we found a way to restore communication between the game and the Scorbitron. But this is not the end of the story...

Starting with Godzilla v0.79, Stern started to encrypt the scores into memory to prevent Scorbit from reading them !
In my opinion, there is no benefit for the user and the goal is to harm Scorbit, probably due to their desire to kill competition on connected games.

Despite all of this, we found work-arounds and restored the functionality to Scorbit's customers. This is all while the guys at Scorbit have tried numerous times to work directly with Stern at no cost, like they have with every other manufacturer, and Stern has refused to work with them prentending they didn't have time now. Obviously they seem to have the resources and time to add some code to stop Scorbit...

In brief, Stern is clearly trying to shutdown competition on connected games with malicious behaviour, targeting a company that has been demonstrating these features for over seven years. This is classic unfair competition. It is no different than when Microsoft tried to force customers to use IE by breaking Netscape, claiming it was to improve security and the user experience. You see how that worked out for Microsoft. It cost them billions and a decade of anti-trust headache. Any competent lawyer knows federal and EU anti-trust protections override any licensing agreements, even if they are signed contracts !

100% This round of updates will screw them over again.

Ie - they're adding some kind of 3rd party hack protection. What's the bet scorbit goes down after this update.
Not sure about that Davey but I do know the home team work around for IC will not be patched out as it was supposedly designed this way from the beginning for home users.

Didn't fancy playing GZ tonight anyway

Attachments

• 20220920_171946.jpg
    20220920_171946.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 45
Don't think I will ever have an hour long game on GZ, but will definitely play consecutive games for more than an hour, so looks like fans are required.
Is Vic still doing them, or is someone over here now doing the same?

Don't think I will ever have an hour long game on GZ, but will definitely play consecutive games for more than an hour, so looks like fans are required.
Is Vic still doing them, or is someone over here now doing the same?
I've got Vic's, don't know if there's someone here doing them though, would save on postage!

I've got Vic's, don't know if there's someone here doing them though, would save on postage!

There is someone over on Pinside doing a much cheaper version of the fans, feedback from buyers seems to be very good too. Can’t remember the name of the pinsider but he got in a debate with Vic in a couple of threads shouldn’t be hard to find them.

Reactions: Jib
Back
Top Bottom