What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All aboard for the Godzilla Hype Train!

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
I’ve just re-watched the whole thing as I kinda skipped some bits this morning.
Maybe setup is more crucial but once dialled in I think it will flow beautifully.
I didn’t see and annoying bricking shots like JP and maiden albeit could be brutal which I can handle it theme shines as it does for me.
Regardless it won’t be as brutal as my RnM or as fast as my TMNT so double win there.
The team have really outdone themselves and Elwin has redeemed himself in my eyes as it’s the only decent pin I’ve played of his bar AIQ which is here ATM and I would only go pro on that if I ever get one in the future anyways.

This for me is a AAA+ before I even flip it.

Reactions: Jib
I've seen a lot of people say Jurassic Park is difficult. I dunno, I'm kinda **** and I can blow it up often.

Lord Keith of Elwin going to take over the entire top ten on Pinside at the rate he's going. J-park in 2nd, Iron Maiden and AIQ 7th and 8th respectively. If the King of the monsters creeps in as well it'll mean he's nearly got half of it. Legend in the making.

I’m amazed you let it go Jim! The retro feel of that pin was made just for the old school arcade brigade like us. After I saw yours when collecting GOTG it was forever in my sights and now sits pride of place in my lineup.
Yep it was a mistake thats for sure, but when you want something new sometimes you have to sell the old.

'Tell Dr Deadpool where it hurts' ... ha ha ha ha ha :)

I've seen a lot of people say Jurassic Park is difficult. I dunno, I'm kinda **** and I can blow it up often.

Lord Keith of Elwin going to take over the entire top ten on Pinside at the rate he's going. J-park in 2nd, Iron Maiden and AIQ 7th and 8th respectively. If the King of the monsters creeps in as well it'll mean he's nearly got half of it. Legend in the making.

I have to agree… some of the shots are tough but I got to visitor centre on my 3rd or 4th day of playing and I’m not a great player. Godzilla looks like it will tricky but all shots are learnable eventually [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m sorry in advance if I upset anyone but here’s my 10p worth not that it means anything lol 😂
Not sure if I’ve watched the correct stream but certainly didn’t do anything for me.
The theme is so-so made worse for me because they went too bright with the artwork and colours etc, I think sega did a better job my thats my personal opinion and if they had gone for a darker, more menacing artwork I think it would have looked fab, the LE is so safe it’s almost clinical.
Video doesn’t float my boat either, kinda reminds me of Dialed in with some iffy movie clips of all the dodgy bits I remember from years ago of a man in a suit standing over a model !
The sound follows a similar cringing style with the exception of some of the rockier music fitting quite well.
Shots and layout are good, nice re-working of the Dr Who mech, models of Godzilla and mech zilla looks like scottydoesntknow has been to toys r us (no offence meant scotty lol 😂)
It looks like jp reversed with the position of the 3rd flipper and the helicoil ramp.
He certainly designs good flowing shots but I saw some retro guy saying he’s fed up with fan layouts and this is sterns best for years !
There’s only so much you can do with 2 flippers at the bottom and shots / targets / ramps above them and I don’t care what type of layout it is as long as it shoots well and feels rewarding / enjoyable when you do so.
I haven’t played AIQ so won’t comment as I didn’t like the theme at all and if you’re going to pay that sort of money you really need to like 90% of it unless you’re minted or you run an arcade and will make money out it.
I quite liked JP, I thought shots and layout were very good, just missing the assets and artwork could have been better which brings me to IM -
I still think it’s one of the best pins I’ve played, it was fresh, had a well tested and unique design, great artwork, some very kwl features, great use of shaker and trooper mb was a master stroke.
The music wasn’t to everyone’s taste but I liked Iron Maiden so the whole machine fitted well with me.
I’m sure this will sell really well and gain all the plaudits, but this is one train I won’t be jumping on, as almost 10k for a premium I really have to like it and like looking at it and hearing it.
Mando ticks all those boxes for me, so I’m more than happy to stay with that. (And my wife will be happier too lol 😂)

I’m sorry in advance if I upset anyone but here’s my 10p worth not that it means anything lol 😂
Not sure if I’ve watched the correct stream but certainly didn’t do anything for me.
The theme is so-so made worse for me because they went too bright with the artwork and colours etc, I think sega did a better job my thats my personal opinion and if they had gone for a darker, more menacing artwork I think it would have looked fab, the LE is so safe it’s almost clinical.
Video doesn’t float my boat either, kinda reminds me of Dialed in with some iffy movie clips of all the dodgy bits I remember from years ago of a man in a suit standing over a model !
The sound follows a similar cringing style with the exception of some of the rockier music fitting quite well.
Shots and layout are good, nice re-working of the Dr Who mech, models of Godzilla and mech zilla looks like scottydoesntknow has been to toys r us (no offence meant scotty lol 😂)
It looks like jp reversed with the position of the 3rd flipper and the helicoil ramp.
He certainly designs good flowing shots but I saw some retro guy saying he’s fed up with fan layouts and this is sterns best for years !
There’s only so much you can do with 2 flippers at the bottom and shots / targets / ramps above them and I don’t care what type of layout it is as long as it shoots well and feels rewarding / enjoyable when you do so.
I haven’t played AIQ so won’t comment as I didn’t like the theme at all and if you’re going to pay that sort of money you really need to like 90% of it unless you’re minted or you run an arcade and will make money out it.
I quite liked JP, I thought shots and layout were very good, just missing the assets and artwork could have been better which brings me to IM -
I still think it’s one of the best pins I’ve played, it was fresh, had a well tested and unique design, great artwork, some very kwl features, great use of shaker and trooper mb was a master stroke.
The music wasn’t to everyone’s taste but I liked Iron Maiden so the whole machine fitted well with me.
I’m sure this will sell really well and gain all the plaudits, but this is one train I won’t be jumping on, as almost 10k for a premium I really have to like it and like looking at it and hearing it.
Mando ticks all those boxes for me, so I’m more than happy to stay with that. (And my wife will be happier too lol 😂)

Agreed about the art on Godzilla and Maiden being elite

I love the part where he does the mic drop and walks out!
For those who haven’t watched he basically lets his last ball drain as his score is so high above the rest he was untouchable at that point with around 4 billion points above his nearest challenger.
Dude has serious skills and it’s a pleasure to watch the master at play.
One thing I did notice was his lack of use of the upper flipper at the Newton Magnet where I would just flail away whenever the ball was near it 😂
He kinda used it during Hawkeye or building his loop multipliers. 👏

I‘m so glad not to be burdened by theme, artwork, sounds and the freaking display!

ball and flippers -> gameplay / that’s what counts. the other stuff won’t be enough if the gameplay sucks in my view! It’s for sure got some references back to Keith’s previous games but that probably isn’t the worse thing in the world.

Agreed. I like art and theme etc but it only goes so far. Ghostbusters is an absolutely elite dream theme. It plays like ar5e.... Just an absolute turd.

Maiden when announced was not a good theme for me. It had no toys either. Bought it anyway. It's one of my all time favourite games. Probably only behind the obvious.

It's like video games. Graphics and sounds etc can be lovely but all that is peripheral compared to how it shoots.

I‘m so glad not to be burdened by theme, artwork, sounds and the freaking display!

ball and flippers -> gameplay / that’s what counts. the other stuff won’t be enough if the gameplay sucks in my view! It’s for sure got some references back to Keith’s previous games but that probably isn’t the worse thing in the world.
I do agree Neil except that it’s almost 10k for a premium and I only have room for 3 set up so I have to be a bit pickier than most, as I said he is one of the best designers and IM in my top 5 of all time.
I’m sure I’ll enjoy playing it but not enough to want to buy it 😃

Burdened? That's not how I see it.

I do agree that the game play is 100% essential - if the pin sucks then it sucks end of - but for me a pinball machine is so much more than a ball rattling around a playfield. It's an exciting work of art, sounds, animations, humour and a story.

Would you prefer to own a collection of super cheap silent white woods?

Agreed. I like art and theme etc but it only goes so far. Ghostbusters is an absolutely elite dream theme. It plays like ar5e.... Just an absolute turd.

Maiden when announced was not a good theme for me. It had no toys either. Bought it anyway. It's one of my all time favourite games. Probably only behind the obvious.

It's like video games. Graphics and sounds etc can be lovely but all that is peripheral compared to how it shoots.
Ghostbusters for me was my dream theme and probably to coin a phrase “the best world under glass” EVER! Call outs were great, code great but them dam flippers and drains were annoying to the point I eventually gave up on it.
1 good game in 10 was the reason it lay dormant most of the time and putting those extended flippers on or that horrible dangly post mod was never an option for me.
I think it ended up at Williams Amusements for about 12k!
Now if they vaulted it and fixed the flipper issues that could be different gravy altogether.

A few things did disappoint. Mainly the Mecha shot. It is quite far over and seems like a lot of work for a small pay off. The loop around it on the other hand is fantastic.
I was surprised by the building entrance shot. It just seems to fire in and out so fast. The magna save when it loops round is really cool.

The ramps are fantastic. Really 90's in there scale but super fast.

Looking forward to seeing the Pro as imo the toys didn't really make much more to the gameplay. The tower falling was cool but I didn't really think the multiple levels thing was that great. The bridge collapsing, again looks cool but will it make much difference?

I personally loved the music and the whole vibe to it. Especially the video clips

Ghostbusters for me was my dream theme and probably to coin a phrase “the best world under glass” EVER! Call outs were great, code great but them dam flippers and drains were annoying to the point I eventually gave up on it.
1 good game in 10 was the reason it lay dormant most of the time and putting those extended flippers on or that horrible dangly post mod was never an option for me.
I think it ended up at Williams Amusements for about 12k!
Now if they vaulted it and fixed the flipper issues that could be different gravy altogether.

Yeah It was in my early pinball days and my first modern Stern. I drove 5 hours + to get it. It just shoots so bad that after the initial wow factor of the art, theme and callouts wore off i kinda hated it. It's funny though the theme is that good there are times when I try and convince myself to try another one! And yes, amazing world under glass!

Burdened? That's not how I see it.

I do agree that the game play is 100% essential - if the pin sucks then it sucks end of - but for me a pinball machine is so much more than a ball rattling around a playfield. It's an exciting work of art, sounds, animations, humour and a story.

Would you prefer to own a collection of super cheap silent white woods?
Agree with all the above.
Some buy because of gameplay, some buy because of budget, but Artwork is a major factor in my book and these past few years have seen some of the best art ever done on pins.
Yes Art is subjective and it’s nice to have some variety but stick a few old Ball/Will pins next to the likes of Mando, IMDN, TMNT, AIQ, DP, GB, GnR ect ect and boy they look kinda dated.
I don’t get why people diss Godzilla that thing in the flesh with it’s reflective decals is gonna be a mind blowing head Turner.
I’m so glad Yeti was on the team and not the bloke who done JP which was god dam aweful IMO.
Bear in mind It could have been a lot worse with a big dark brownish turd walking around the docks at midnight which is a common time for monsters apparently. This may have been on point to keep the nerds and fans of the franchise happy but let’s face it 9/10 buyers are more pinball fans who just like the theme like me.
I’ll leave it pondering this question does any non LZ fan think that pin actually looks good regardless of how it plays which we know if very controversial and subjective.
What’s funny is I’m usually defending JJP threads not stern army ones 😉

Yes Art is subjective and it’s nice to have some variety but stick a few old Ball/Will pins next to the likes of Mando, IMDN, TMNT, AIQ, DP, GB, GnR ect ect and boy they look kinda dated.

I love the way Godzilla looks, Yeti is an enormously talented artist. LZ looks like artwork by Photoshop.

Good and bad examples from every era though, and I still think you struggle to beat the best Ballys from the 80s!

image-6.jpg

image-17.jpg

image-7.jpg

LZ looks like artwork by Photoshop.

LOL. Of course that’s exactly what it was - it was iconic art from Led Zeppelin photoshopped onto a pinball machine. If you love LZ or LZ art then you love LZ pinball art! I personally don’t care for it but the game is fantastic!

Neil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gotta say I have to agree with Andy on this one. The cab art is the cab art, pulled from LZ3, but the playfield..... it feel like they just went with a 60s flower power vibe. It's nothing like any of the album art, which was generally muted and broody (and pretty heavily slated). Of course, the band would have had to approve it so whatevs.

1632139655826.png

1632139745386.png

Agree with that! But it IS fun to shoot. And (dare I say it) the most satisfying spinner shot in pinball.

Disclaimer - I have played maybe 10% of games ever made

I feel liberated by the fact that I know nothing about Godzilla.

Because I'm not a fan it means I couldn't give a damn if he's grey, green or totally representative of the cartoons, comics or whatever.

Don't get me wrong. I'd have been incredibly unimpressed if there was an inaccuracy on LOTR because I know it backwards.

The Godzilla callouts are a bit basic but not everything can be Deadpool or AFM.

I couldn't care less about the Avengers. In fact I'd consider it a punishment to be made to watch Captain America or anything like that.
However the game is sensational and quite frankly I'm not good enough to look at the screen when playing anyway.

Does the artwork look better on AIQ or Godzilla? Who knows.

One has a giant purple bloke sat on a chair and the other has a giant green lizard breathing blue fire.

They both look like toys to me and that works just fine. I may well end up sticking more giant lizards in mine and don't be surprised if the armour ends up with scales and blue fire on it.

At the end of the day it's all about the shots for me. If they're anything like AIQ & JP I'll be delighted.

If they vaulted GB with fixed issues, I’d get one.
No way I can see it happen though, as it’s an admission that they screwed the 1st effort.

Seeing as we are back to the theme vs layout 'discussion', let me repeat myself again..

T H E M E wins every time in my book.

I couldn't think of anything worse then spending 10K on something i couldn't care less about or wasn't into. I just dont understand how you can even turn a game on if you dont like the callouts, animations, art etc, but yes i know i know, the layout, the layout.... I'll get my coat :)

Back
Top Bottom