What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alien Playfield Art

aaronhicksuk

Registered
Alias
Aaron
Not sure if anybody else has been following the Alien thread over on Pinside but Heighway received approval on 27 submissions to Fox last week including playfield art. They've also been given the go ahead to show the playfield art publically with a full reveal expected today at EAG and online too.

In the meantime Aurich Lawson (the artist) has posted up a few teaser images. Looks really good to me so far, I particularly like the inserts only having black and white on them to work with the RGB LEDs. The coloured flag inserts in particular at the bottom of Full Throttle looked really amateur imo so I'm pleased to see the same mistakes not being made twice.

Original thread is here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/74

LV.jpg 426.jpg
LifeCycleEgg.jpg Facehugger.jpg ChestBurster.jpg

Last edited:
Heighway are at EAG today, wonder if he's showing anything Alien there?

Might have to make an effort to pop in either tomorrow or Thursday on the way to/from work. £15 parking for a couple of hours is a bit rich though!

Like the inserts a lot... also the nod to 426 with the multipliers - neat.

Looks pretty cool, will look better with colour changing leds!

Plenty of modes:

Alien: Derelict Ship, Acid Burn, Find Jonesy, Tunnel Escape, Self Destruct.

Multiball modes: Hypersleep, Alien, Bug Hunt, Sentry Guns, All Out War.

Aliens: Dropship, M577 APC, Med Lab, Queen's Nest , Meltdown.

Last edited:
Just come back from EAG where it seems the the police have been dealing with Aliens:

Image00043.jpg

and never mind pinball tables, Andrew Heighway demonstrated that building Ikea tables is hard:

Image00002.jpg
No signe of an Alien pinball machine but there was a poster:

Image00038.jpg

and four Full Throttles in the various configurations of full screen back box, small screeen backbox and static backbox:

Image00041.jpg
The chap on the right seemed to know what he was doing.

Also a nice row of Sterns including the new Spidey which looks a million plus, plays great, and has dots that are much better than the old photorealistic tat. This fellah playing Spidey had no idea what he was doing:

Image00024.jpg

Image00014.jpg
As for booth babes, they were sorely lacking. Alice was about it:

Image00054.jpg

More on Pavlov Pinball in a while, including some news about Stern's next machine...

Full original playfield image from the Pinside thread (Forum software is reducing image size, so see direct link in post below):

full-playfield.jpg

And another close up:

Dropship.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry - thats because the forum software will optimise all images and will shrink large ones physically, since ALL are stored locally (this is why you should NEVER get an "image cannot be displayed" or broken image - they are all cached locally.
(Personally there is no point in having a forum if half the images on tutorials and the like are missing!)

Sorry - thats because the forum software will optimise all images and will shrink large ones physically, since ALL are stored locally (this is why you should NEVER get an "image cannot be displayed" or broken image - they are all cached locally.
(Personally there is no point in having a forum if half the images on tutorials and the like are missing!)
Totally understandable mate and the best solution 99.9% of the time imo. Loving the hires playfield art though, looks quality. :)

Just got back fro EAG. Bit underwhelmed :( Lots of fruit machines etc but it was a bit light on pins. Surprised to see games such as Go Go Jungle safari as it's been in arcades for 4 years or so.

Never been there before so wasn't expecting the stalls with stuffed toys etc

The new SM felt pretty cheap, couldn't really put my finger on why but for 7k you get a machine that's not as good as the original. Really didn't like the new figures or the DMD animation. The magnet is probably better, so is the side armour but there is no way I'd pick it over the original

Finally got to play Kiss which was better than I was expecting. Was hoping that there would be a limited version of GOT there with the upper playfield but they only had the pro.

No sign of Wrestlemaina but they had a Star Trek.

No JJP or Hobbit

Full Throttle plays better than the last couple of times I had a go. Didn't get to talk to Andy.

Met a few people in passing but had a whistle stop tour as I had to go after work. Probably would have enjoyed in more if I had been in a group with a few beers.

Posted this on Pinside. Thought I'd also do so here. Had quite a long chat with Andrew.

------

- Full launch of the machine (playable) is hoped for and expected at the Texas Pinball festival in March.

- Per Aurich & Andrew's missives on Pinside, they're still open to ideas about differentiating factors for the LE, and there may well be a choice of colour for rails / legs / trim etc. Receptive to requests and feedback.

- Their fibre optic lighting is still being experimented with (hence delays on Full Throttle LE). He didn't say so, but I expect LEs won't be among the first to be built for this reason and later asset approvals.

- Didn't really talk too much about details re: Alien, as so much is still subject to approval by the studio. Alien and Aliens are his favourite films, though, and a "dream" franchise for him. Could have had Alien 3 rights too, but didn't want to convolute theme too much, and he doesn't personally like it - even prefers Resurrection. Therefore stuck with Alien and Aliens.

- Bram Stoker's Dracula was originally meant to be Alien.

- Andrew's background in the industry was pinball (and amusements I think) in Ireland (first the Republic, then Northern Ireland) from the 90s onwards. Then more recently in England he's organised the UK Pinball Party show which will enter its 6th year this year.

- Had looked into establishing the company 9 years ago, but time wasn't right.

- The company is privately financed, by him and other private investors. No bank or venture capital backing.

- Has no association with Wales or South Wales. Was simply the right place to establish the facility given cheapness of factory and warehousing space, large catchment area for labour (Cardiff & Bristol close by) and good transport links.

- Facility is 42,000ft2 (~4000m2). Same size as JJP's factory.

- Capacity is (perhaps significantly) in excess of 3500 machines per annum (order book and staff depending), and they will be taking on more assembly line staff. Didn't ask whether they had the option of taking on or building more space at their existing location.

- Machines only take 6-8 hours to fully assemble, compared to what he said was an industry average of 12-14 hours.

- Work on Full Throttle is finished (presumably except for code). Still very actively working on Alien. Hope to ship before middle of year.

- Should have 4 games in full production by the end of the year. Chance of 5 unless I misunderstood.

- Barry Oursler (who didn't work on Full Throttle or Alien) has finished his design work on games 3 & 4 already, and wants to move on to game 5 now. He apparently works incredibly quickly according to Andrew - going from start to finish in 3-4 months.

- Games 3 & 4 are both licensed (didn't ask about 5). Intimated that at least one is a movie IP.

- Intention is to put out 3 titles a year, to take advantage of the swappable mechanic of their cabinet. Vast majority of underlying components are modular, so design to production should be pretty swift. Could have as many as 8 titles out by end of 2017.

- Seems pretty bullish generally about their prospects, Alien, and thinks Barry Oursler is great & considers him a legend**

------

Pleasant guy to talk to. Would have asked far more, but I'd caught him in the lunch hour lull, so didn't want to take up more of his time once that was ending. Will add other bits if I remember them. Look forward to having a look round the factory at some point as it's only a 90 minute drive from me.

Regarding Alien and my opinion, as others have said one can't say too much about the playfield art without it being populated and lit. It has potential, definitely. Honestly I am hoping for a few more flourishes and something a little more special on the LE

**That will probably divide opinion here. Personally I love Popeye, though, so I'm stoked at least! Possibly finishing the design of a 3rd game for them before the first goes into production does seem quite ... prolific, though?

Cor blimey. March is quite ambitious to get a working machine up and running by. Also capacity of 3500 machines a year. Has JJP shipped this many in five years? No one can say that Andy doesn't aim high. Good luck to the team Heighway.

Cor blimey. March is quite ambitious to get a working machine up and running by. Also capacity of 3500 machines a year. Has JJP shipped this many in five years? No one can say that Andy doesn't aim high. Good luck to the team Heighway.
April last year actually! :). Wish Andrew all the best meeting his deadlines but large pinch of salt required I think.

Seriously tempted by aliens, need to play one first though.

Gotta love Andrew's enthusiasm...but have to agree with Kev on the pinch of salt. I do remember talk about April 15 release and talk of producing 5 games a year, wouldn't want to put a bet on that realistically.

Quite happy to wait for it though, I have high hopes for it, don't care how long it takes.

Taken from pinside, someone has lined up the original shot map to the playfield artwork to show better how it would look:
images.pinside.com_b_d9_bd936cd0bd82caf65ca0c597fe5a6d68724aa8117de501035f2777e96d788c96d8fd4f.jpg
From looking the only thing I cant see is the controlled drop target (M on the shot map), everything else looks to line up perfectly

Aurich mentioned the controlled drop target in his description of the chest burster insert so pretty sure its still going to be there. I think I read it may be used to lock balls behind as well as a target somewhere too.

Back
Top Bottom