What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Found it! Addams family gold

he got pinball "fatigue"

what us crazys get for about a day after pinfest saying "never again" and next day they are all back on the legs and your are looking for the next one

But what actually happened to him? He did a cabinet for me about 9 years ago, the guy is an incredible talent but just seemed to vanish one day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that TAF Golds do actually make for an interesting pinball anomaly.

In many fields old/ rare = valuable. But I don"t think this applies in pinball unless you are talking seriously rare like Pinball Circus.

TAF remains a really common title. Loads were made, and it is also very reliable without signature nightmare maintenance issues that afflicted similar high watermark games (TZ, Roadshow, STTNG).

It was a game changer, absolutely superb, head and shoulders above games that predated it, hence the best selling game of all time. Despite how common it is, you pay £5k for one as it remains a good player, and earner when used commercially.

Normally rare pinball machines are flawed. The massive development costs mean that pinball manufacturers need to shift high volumes to recover overheads. Rare games generally did not sell well, so production runs were curtailed. Folk do not pay big money for sub 1,000 (?) production run games, just because they are relatively rare.

TAF Golds are perhaps unique in pinball. Rare and really good players. An early adopter of the plaque and individually numbered game/ certificate malarkey. With the kicker that there is a school of thought that the original TAFs looked and played better (distinctions introduced for the sake of it, the clumsy use of the gold plastics, random bonuses/ weird shenanigans with the mansion awards....)

e6cb1c626340605f2ae42deaa1ca97da-e1502669847343.jpg

Good post.

I must say I never really had problems with TZ, not to the extent that is foretold, but I guess mine was never used to the extent that it would be on location. Only consistent problem was the trough proximity switch - which is so well known that Ted Estes even has it as his username on Pinside.

I lusted after a TAFG for the longest time, for my first pin, but quickly realised that it would be too hard to find / disproportionately expensive for its intended use. In retrospect I’m not entirely convinced that the gold (which is actually brass as standard) suits it, it is sort of chintzy rather than it being integrated properly as a special edition as you see nowadays, if that makes sense. I also think it’s a shame it is so easily faked, as it makes it harder to buy a genuine one. Most of the apparently genuine TAFGs I looked at had repro certificates, too.

Having said the above I still hanker after one. Dave’s one looks very nice.

For the trough proximity switch, isn't the issue the corrosion of the plugs on that little connector cable ?

I keep meaning to replace mine but have never got to it

Good post.

I must say I never really had problems with TZ, not to the extent that is foretold, but I guess mine was never used to the extent that it would be on location. Only consistent problem was the trough proximity switch - which is so well known that Ted Estes even has it as his username on Pinside.

I lusted after a TAFG for the longest time, for my first pin, but quickly realised that it would be too hard to find / disproportionately expensive for its intended use. In retrospect I’m not entirely convinced that the gold (which is actually brass as standard) suits it, it is sort of chintzy rather than it being integrated properly as a special edition as you see nowadays, if that makes sense. I also think it’s a shame it is so easily faked, as it makes it harder to buy a genuine one. Most of the apparently genuine TAFGs I looked at had repro certificates, too.

Having said the above I still hanker after one. Dave’s one looks very nice.

The fakes are easy to spot,
TAFG playfields are different, the carpet pattern leading to left ramp side shot.

Gold Manuals- as far as Im aware you can’t yet get these

Certificate- the paper is different and usually has
ALL the signatures - all it the originals don’t have everybody as they were in and out at the time..

Plaque - Biggest difference - the “O” and “C” are different font, holes in d’s & a in Addams are smaller.

I bought one of these as wanted to make my own TAFG - go a **** load of stick for it too from some group members that said I would then try and sell it on as an original!

My TAFG is an original from Germany

93FC0FE2-A66D-4C9C-8D20-94CCBC810251.png

@mufcmufc sorry wont post any more in this thread- but this info might help the OP if he decides to go further afield!

edit: Found my copy of collectors certificate!
Picture of my original as well
image.jpg

Last edited:
Jesus guys, can we keep this on topic. Someone has posted a wanted ad for a TAF Gold, if you don't have one to offer then please start another thread discussing whatever else it is you wish to discuss

Where is the best place to start a “where’s Manny?” thread?

At LEAST 2 Golds came in via the back door as Optimum Leisure brought two in from Germany and one was at Pinball Show 2000 in all its glory. Teasing you to buy at a thousand good old english pounds but it went home with them.

Where is the best place to start a “where’s Manny?” thread?

Manny got out of pinball because he wasn't good on the internet and there wasn't enough money to be earned for his skill level so he's now restoring houses

Oh, so is an dealer.

£7.2K for a standard Addams... wonder what would charge for a Gold! :eek:
im not a dealer I used to be but retired and set up a garage /mot station the Addams on eBay belongs to my mate I've listed it for him as he doesn't do internet I sold my gold in 2008 to pay the mortgage I also sold a cirqus voltaire which im desperate to get back now I don't have a morgage over the years I've sold a lot of machines to people on here never at silly prices

There used to be one in a garage in Nottingham somewhere that was being used as a ashtray.:p
back in the good old days Darren when it was easy come easy go can you remember when I sparked a fag up in the pub as well when you picked that totan up

back in the good old days Darren when it was easy come easy go can you remember when I sparked a fag up in the pub as well when you picked that totan up
I do remember that well Andrew. The benefits of owning your own pub is you can do what the hell you want. I even remember the mint WCS94 that was in the pub, don't think I have ever seen a nicer one. Wish I'd bought that one as well.

I’m being super petty but “Adams family” ? And a basic as hell description.

The guy wants to sell it for £14k and can’t be bothered to put any effort into it at all.

"great investment"
"solid gold investment"

I'm glad I'm being reminded of this twice otherwise I would forgot that my 14k is a good, sorry great, investment.

Back
Top Bottom