What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UKCS

If anyone coming tomorrow has a spare plunger spring for a Flash Gordon it would be a life saver. League meet at mine on Sunday and the plunger has given up tonight…

Well done organising this guys, and good luck to all the players!

Enjoy the last days at PBR Croydon, sorry can't be there.

If anyone coming tomorrow has a spare plunger spring for a Flash Gordon it would be a life saver. League meet at mine on Sunday and the plunger has given up tonight…

Do you know what strength spring it is? I've got a few spare

Edit.. FFS just remembered I'm not going and neither is Claire. Thinking of Sunday, sorry

Do you know what strength spring it is? I've got a few spare

Edit.. FFS just remembered I'm not going and neither is Claire. Thinking of Sunday, sorry
I don’t know tbh. I can’t find a part number in the manual. Not sure if they had different strengths back then?

I’ve sort of fixed it but not sure it will last all day on Sunday.

I’m sure I’ve got some spares here somewhere but can I find them anywhere tonight…. Grrr.

I don’t know tbh. I can’t find a part number in the manual. Not sure if they had different strengths back then?
You might be right, I just wondered as it plunges up a ramp and I've played some with weak springs which make it too easy to not over shoot the upper playfield. I think any strong silver spring will work.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240126_201425_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20240126_201425_Drive.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 6
Should have posted this earlier but good luck everyone. Who is going to come join us at IFPA in sunny California? 😊😊

Congratulations to Jack Burden, the winner of today's UKCS Pin Golf competition!!

Qualifying was dominated by Yuen who was on great form all day, at the end of 18 holes, the standings were:

1706399875649.png

The top 8 qualified for a ladder match finals, Yuen and Nathan went straight into the final (Nathan winning the tie-breaker) with Jack and Gene straight into the Semi-Final.

In the quarter final on Stars, Nick and Josh both performed well to progress leaving Keith in 7th overall and Me in 8th.

Onto the semi final and Jack and Gene lived up to their high qualifying position and both scored well on Ali to progress. Leaving Josh in 6th place and Nick in 5th.

The random number generator picked out a slightly newer game for the final which would be contested on The Adams Family. Jack took an early lead after ball one and managed to hold on for the win! Yuen finished 2nd (for the 2nd time on the day) and deserves special mention for his consistent high level of play throughout the day. Nathan took 3rd place with Gene coming in 4th.

418149751_868632558374515_5784596237580485413_n.jpg
418074667_1059609615082814_619185564844637796_n.jpg
418293655_360301016758177_8689232368944186118_n.jpg

Thanks for everyone that came along today and also a special thanks to Diane and Sarah for cooking us all up a delicious Chilli for lunch!!

We look forward to seeing you all again tomorrow for our Match Play competition!

I'll get the full results and a bit of a write up later this evening, but for now congratulations to the trophy winners.

Nick in 1st, only dropping 1 point all day
IMG-20240128-WA0006.jpg
Yuen in 2nd, who had won every single game up the final round
IMG-20240128-WA0003.jpg
With Will in 3rd

Attachments

• IMG-20240128-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20240128-WA0002.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 40
I couldn't think of two better people and players to represent the UK at the IFPA19 World Pinball Championship

@PUP and @mufcmufc will do us proud!

Along with @roadshow16 @Matt Vince @robotgreg @Special When Lit @Wayne J and Rich Mallet all these people have lived and breathed competitive pinball then most and kept the sport alive and I couldn't be happier seeing these guys do well

The likes of Josh and @Jackpot will have their time no doubt in my eyes and they are still at the beginning of their competitive journeys and I'd put money they will both get their chance at the IFPA in the future :)

Finally back home after 2 long days of competitive pinball (not helped by sat nav deciding to take me through the centre of London to get to PBR:mad:)

Thank you for those that commented that they enjoyed the format, I hope everybody else did too. I feel that it worked well, despite 'only' being 11 rounds. I had envisaged it being 22 rounds (where everybody plays each other twice) but having not had chance to trial it beforehand was not 100% certain of run time. As it happened my estimate of 5hrs was absolutely spot on so it could have been done in a single day quite easily. At least by having the shorter format it meant that Pingolf was able to run alongside/either side of it.

Another glitch on the day was the spreadsheet playing up - I had tested it on my 'pinball comp' laptop which has a genuine version of excel rather than the knockoff version on my main laptop which has a HDMI output so I could connect to the large screen. But it worked with only a little manual fiddling with.

Despite initial reservations from some, having the top seed play first in each group didn't seem to effect the results of any individual games, with the top 2 players on the day winning all of their games whilst playing first (except when they played each other - but more on that later).

The first round was the only 4 player game of the day and each game produced a clear winner. Unfortunately for Luke it proved to be his only points won on the day.
Round 1.jpg
Round 2 had some closer games with Nathan pipping Greg on Game of Thrones, Owen scraping past Will and Gene not able to pass Nick on AIQ. Conrad took a close win on Tron against Pete and Luke.
Round 2.jpg
It was interesting to see how people picked their games when they had the choice. Did they pick a game they knew well, or one that their opponents didn't.
In Round 3 Peter chose Centaur but that must have been music to Keith's ears picking an older game, as he won easily. Tim narrowly passed Jack on GotG which had been Andy's choice, but he didn't manage to put up a competitive score.
Round 3.jpg
There were some crushing victories in Round 4. Yuen on Indy 500, Will on Deadpool and Josh on GoT. As well as some very close games. Matt and Reece were just pipped by Pete on Cheetah, and Peter just hanging on against Dan L on Foo Fighters .
Round 4.jpg
Round 5 saw upsets in 6 of the 8 games, with only Yuen and Nick being the highest seeds to win their games. Greg, Luke and Gene must have regretted their game choice as they all finished last.
Round 5.jpg
Round 6 was the opposite with 7 of the 8 games going to the highest seed, their game choices being spot on. The exception was Dave F beating Dave T with Luke finishing last on his game choice of Harlem.
Round 6.jpg
As Round 7 started, unfortunately it was at this point that Luke had to leave to sort his car, as he had played over half of the games his results stood, but it did mean those players who should have him in their group effectively were guaranteed not finishing last. In the match on Demolition Man, chosen by Nick. Jack put up a massive score, and Clive narrowly missed out on passing Nick. Meaning that Nick had dropped his first point of the day. Yuen however was looking unbeatable on Star Wars putting up over 4.5 Billion, whereas his competitors, Tim and David, couldn't pass 100 Million. Andy picked up his first win of the day LZ - his choice - but was clearly too excited to take the exact scores down. :)
Round 7.jpg
Up to Round 8 there were still plenty of people in the running for the first prize. Yuen, Matt and Nick all won, but Wayne, Josh and Will all dropped a point.
Round 8.jpg
Round 9 saw Dan P pick up his first win of the day on LZ beating Matt. Owen scored more than both Andy and Gene put together on Corvette, who were only separated by a litle over 1million.
Round 9.jpg
Round 10, the penultimate round saw Reece record his first win on Jurassic Park, and Wayne finishing last on Scared Stiff, despite having crate multiball ready to start but being rather choosing (inexplicably) to get greedy and try and start it with double scoring. Maybe it was the amount of time Nick and Tim spent short plunging for the skill shot which put him off?
Round 10.jpg
What this meant going in to the last round was that Yuen lead Nick by just one point and would fight it out for the first prize of a place at the World Championships in California later in the year, as well as deciding which charity would receive the £650 'prize' money. Before the round started they had decided that regardless of the result they would split the money so 2 charities would benefit. Nick chose the Heart Foundation, and Yuen chose the National Autistic Society.
The groupings had been set such that the last round would see each group consisting of the seeds closest to each other, in this case Yuen, Matt and Nick, with Yuen choosing the game.
The rules meant that Yuen could not pick a game he had chosen before. Had he saved his best game for last, or ran out of games he was comfortable with? Either way he chose Alien Poker.

Despite having won every game he had played so far he was only 1 point ahead of Nick. If there was a tie the result would be calculated on countback from their head to head match - meaning that if Nick beat Yuen he would be champion, if Yuen won he would take the first prize. At this point Matt knew that he couldn't catch Will for the final trophy positions, so all eyes were on Nick and Yuen.
Round 11.jpg
Yuen had his worst game of the day only manging to finish third, with Matt in second and Nick taking a commanding win. (So as it happened a tiebreak wasn't required).

The final standings
Final Standings.jpg

The format for next year will change from the current format, but I hope to run something very similar, maybe with a qualifying section before hand in the future (just needs a venue with at least 8 machines), so reach out if you're interested in hosting.

Last edited:
Finally back home after 2 long days of competitive pinball (not helped by sat nav deciding to take me through the centre of London to get to PBR:mad:)

Thank you for those that commented that they enjoyed the format, I hope everybody else did too. I feel that it worked well, despite 'only' being 11 rounds. I had envisaged it being 22 rounds (where everybody plays each other twice) but having not had chance to trial it beforehand was not 100% certain of run time. As it happened my estimate of 5hrs was absolutely spot on so it could have been done in a single day quite easily. At least by having the shorter format it meant that Pingolf was able to run alongside/either side of it.

Another glitch on the day was the spreadsheet playing up - I had tested it on my 'pinball comp' laptop which has a genuine version of excel rather than the knockoff version on my main laptop which has a HDMI output so I could connect to the large screen. But it worked with only a little manual fiddling with.

Despite initial reservations from some, having the top seed play first in each group didn't seem to effect the results of any individual games, with the top 2 players on the day winning all of their games whilst playing first (except when they played each other - but more on that later).

The first round was the only 4 player game of the day and each game produced a clear winner. Unfortunately for Luke it proved to be his only points won on the day.
View attachment 243212
Round 2 had some closer games with Nathan pipping Greg on Game of Thrones, Owen scraping past Will and Gene not able to pass Nick on AIQ. Conrad took a close win on Tron against Pete and Luke.
View attachment 243213
It was interesting to see how people picked their games when they had the choice. Did they pick a game they knew well, or one that their opponents didn't.
In Round 3 Peter chose Centaur but that must have been music to Keith's ears picking an older game, as he won easily. Tim narrowly passed Jack on GotG which had been Andy's choice, but he didn't manage to put up a competitive score.
View attachment 243214
There were some crushing victories in Round 4. Yuen on Indy 500, Will on Deadpool and Josh on GoT. As well as some very close games. Matt and Reece were just pipped by Pete on Cheetah, and Peter just hanging on against Dan L on Foo Fighters .
View attachment 243215
Round 5 saw upsets in 6 of the 8 games, with only Yuen and Nick being the highest seeds to win their games. Greg, Luke and Gene must have regretted their game choice as they all finished last.
View attachment 243216
Round 6 was the opposite with 7 of the 8 games going to the highest seed, their game choices being spot on. The exception was Dave F beating Dave T with Luke finishing last on his game choice of Harlem.
View attachment 243217
As Round 7 started, unfortunately it was at this point that Luke had to leave to sort his car, as he had played over half of the games his results stood, but it did mean those players who should have him in their group effectively were guaranteed not finishing last. In the match on Demolition Man, chosen by Nick. Jack put up a massive score, and Clive narrowly missed out on passing Nick. Meaning that Nick had dropped his first point of the day. Yuen however was looking unbeatable on Star Wars putting up over 4.5 Billion, whereas his competitors, Tim and David, couldn't pass 100 Million. Andy picked up his first win of the day LZ - his choice - but was clearly too excited to take the exact scores down. :)
View attachment 243218
Up to Round 8 there were still plenty of people in the running for the first prize. Yuen, Matt and Nick all won, but Wayne, Josh and Will all dropped a point.
View attachment 243219
Round 9 saw Dan P pick up his first win of the day on LZ beating Matt. Owen scored more than both Andy and Gene put together on Corvette, who were only separated by a litle over 1million.
View attachment 243220
Round 10, the penultimate round saw Reece record his first win on Jurassic Park, and Wayne finishing last on Scared Stiff, despite having crate multiball ready to start but being rather choosing (inexplicably) to get greedy and try and start it with double scoring. Maybe it was the amount of time Nick and Tim spent short plunging for the skill shot which put him off?
View attachment 243221
What this meant going in to the last round was that Yuen lead Nick by just one point and would fight it out for the first prize of a place at the World Championships in California later in the year, as well as deciding which charity would receive the £650 'prize' money. Before the round started they had decided that regardless of the result they would split the money so 2 charities would benefit. Nick chose the Heart Foundation, and Yuen chose the National Autistic Society.
The groupings had been set such that the last round would see each group consisting of the seeds closest to each other, in this case Yuen, Matt and Nick, with Yuen choosing the game.
The rules meant that Yuen could not pick a game he had chosen before. Had he saved his best game for last, or ran out of games he was comfortable with? Either way he chose Alien Poker.

Despite having won every game he had played so far he was only 1 point ahead of Nick. If there was a tie the result would be calculated on countback from their head to head match - meaning that if Nick beat Yuen he would be champion, if Yuen won he would take the first prize. At this point Matt knew that he couldn't catch Will for the final trophy positions, so all eyes were on Nick and Yuen.
View attachment 243222
Yuen had his worst game of the day only manging to finish first, with Matt in second and Nick taking a commanding win. (So as it happened a tiebreak wasn't required).

The final standings
View attachment 243223

The format for next year will change from the current format, but I hope to run something very similar, maybe with a qualifying section before hand in the future (just needs a venue with at least 8 machines), so reach out if you're interested in hosting.
Great write up Wayne, was a fun day. I think Clive put our scores in for LZ, I have a pic of them if you need them 😁

Good write up Wayne, and thanks for running. Glad to have picked up a last minute spot to fill out the bottom of the standings 😂

I didn't hear at the time that Yuen and Nick split the charity money, a lovely touch ☺ well played guys, looking forward to seeing Nick and Andy in Worlds.

Thanks @Wayne J , @Matt Vince and the PBR team for a great weekend of comps! Thoroughly enjoyed my first Pingolf and the standard for the UKCS was incredibly high, congrats to Nick for the win!

Keeping everything crossed I'll be attending more PBR comps in a new venue in the not too distant future 🤞

Thanks again to Wayne to all the effort running this - it was a fun and intense tournament and Nick was a very worthy winner.

Last edited:
Exciting stuff!! I really really wanted to go to this, but it's my busiest working weekend of the year otherwise I would have been there for sure.

For more info about the ECS finals, all the details are here, exciting that 3 UK guys will get to be a part of it

Ah I've just seen @Jem is already in! Nice!! (I mean, of course he is, is there a tournament the UK number 4 doesn't go to? 😉) What about you @PUP did you get your invite?? Are you going to go? @Moonraker will probably make it too? Could be a whole UK contingent. Christian's place in Boras is amazing, 120 fantastic games against the best in Europe, definitely not to be missed if you can make it work!

Last edited:
Just been pointed to the post and I will try and get an answer ASAP.

EDIT: Realistically will be over the weekend as busy today.

EDIT2: Ok writing to say that I intend to take up the offer and go subject to no issues organising transport. Should be able to fully confirm over the weekend.

Last edited:
@nottud - nice one, I'd double check officially with Matt / Christian Holmsten before booking anything.

Last edited:
Does anyone know, if I go with Will to this tournament what is available to me as a supporter? Can I get in the venue, are there games (or even comps) I can play?

There's a bunch of other tournaments going on Sir Dutton. Me and Martyn are going along mainly as Yuen and Josh's cheerleaders also.

I'll send you a link. Or post it here. Alright, Yuen just did it.

Attachments

• ECS20024-schema.png
    ECS20024-schema.png
    611.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Great thank you. Will will message the organisers when he finishes work today to check he does actually have a place. How do supporters confirm their attendance, and is there somewhere we should be paying something in advance? Sorry for all the questions, I only heard about this as I was driving to the Butlins get together today

The linked site I think says I am to pay at the venue - no idea on the correct way to contact the organisers and how to phrase things though. Also confused it seems like you have to pay half by cash and half by card... why?

The linked site I think says I am to pay at the venue - no idea on the correct way to contact the organisers and how to phrase things though.
What is your email Will? I will message Christian and get him to email you 😊

Back
Top Bottom