What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The official Northern Lights Pinball Show 2015 thread

All my photos from the weekend are up on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/peterduerden/sets/72157659751882221

There's half a dozen of my van being loaded and some video games, old computers, Play.Expo, etc., but mostly pins. I tried to get a "triple shot" of backglass/playfield/overview of pins I played so there are plenty of photos of pins lit up as well as the ones I took to compile the complete list of games when they were all switched off.

All my photos from the weekend are up on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/peterduerden/sets/72157659751882221

There's half a dozen of my van being loaded and some video games, old computers, Play.Expo, etc., but mostly pins. I tried to get a "triple shot" of backglass/playfield/overview of pins I played so there are plenty of photos of pins lit up as well as the ones I took to compile the complete list of games when they were all switched off.
Nice set of pics Pete - sorry didnt get chance to have a good chat with you - but theres always next time!!!

CHeers Kev

Massive Thanks to everyone involved. I was a bit worried that Phoebe (8 year old daughter) would get bored, but we she loved it as much as me. We were only there on the saturday, which definitely wasn't long enough, i'm booking a hotel for next year to do both days.

Highlights for me were seeing her getting top score in the kids high score competition (only briefly, but she got her name on the whiteboard which made her day.)

Her favourite machines were WOZ and the "racing car one", which is what she keeps calling Full Throttle. although she was just as happy playing the older ones. In fact shortly after we had got there I asked her which game she wanted to play next and she demanded we play BK2K, so she knows a good game when she sees it.

I also love full Throttle, which has a cool feature I didn't know about, if the person before you starts a 4 player game and then walks off, you can hold the start button when the ball kicks out to reset back to the start of a 1 player game. no more launching and draining ball after ball before you can start your game. Thanks to the Heighway staff member who pointed that out.

If Phoebe had £4800+VAT in her piggybank, we would definitely be getting a full throttle. Now, how can I persuade the wife that we need to give her (a lot) more pocket money...

I also love full Throttle, which has a cool feature I didn't know about, if the person before you starts a 4 player game and then walks off, you can hold the start button when the ball kicks out to reset back to the start of a 1 player game. no more launching and draining ball after ball before you can start your game. Thanks to the Heighway staff member who pointed that out.
If only I'd known! I launched and drained 4 players all the way from ball 1 player 2. But it was handy as it was my first play on FULL THROTTLE so I got to watch the ball bounce around and work out where it likes to go and what a few of the features were. I particularly liked the throttle skill shot on launch!

If only I'd known! I launched and drained 4 players all the way from ball 1 player 2. But it was handy as it was my first play on FULL THROTTLE so I got to watch the ball bounce around and work out where it likes to go and what a few of the features were. I particularly liked the throttle skill shot on launch!

I believe this works on most DMD-era games (usually when you get on to Ball 2 for all players).

Massive Thanks to everyone involved. I was a bit worried that Phoebe (8 year old daughter) would get bored, but we she loved it as much as me. We were only there on the saturday, which definitely wasn't long enough, i'm booking a hotel for next year to do both days.

Highlights for me were seeing her getting top score in the kids high score competition (only briefly, but she got her name on the whiteboard which made her day.)

Her favourite machines were WOZ and the "racing car one", which is what she keeps calling Full Throttle. although she was just as happy playing the older ones. In fact shortly after we had got there I asked her which game she wanted to play next and she demanded we play BK2K, so she knows a good game when she sees it.

If Phoebe had £4800+VAT in her piggybank, we would definitely be getting a full throttle. Now, how can I persuade the wife that we need to give her (a lot) more pocket money...
Cool your daughter liked the bk2k .... It was mine! What can I say she's got taste!

Great pictures Peter.

I've not been for a couple of years but it looks like there was a massive range of machines there this year. I went through them all but was surprised not to see a single Rocky & Bullwinkle.

I'm hoping to get along next year (assuming it's on again) and if that happens i'll do everything I can to make sure my R&B is there. I've got a year now to get it all back together and the cabinet is almost done. Once that's out of the way I can hopefully get cracking on the playfield.

I didn't realise till I saw it in the flesh this weekend, that Paragon is the size of a small car

My mum wouldn't play against me on my Space Invaders (the same size, but probably heavier) because she wasn't strong enough to nudge it.
The Williams wide bodies of the time weren't far short of that size too.

My mum wouldn't play against me on my Space Invaders (the same size, but probably heavier) because she wasn't strong enough to nudge it.
The Williams wide bodies of the time weren't far short of that size too.

That happened to me with sttng. Try and bump it, then along comes Newton's Third Law; the machine sat still, and I bounced away...

My mum wouldn't play against me on my Space Invaders (the same size, but probably heavier) because she wasn't strong enough to nudge it..
A-ha! So the SPACE INVADERS was yours! I didn't realise you were there. God, I'm so social inept. Did you bring anything else?

Not sure SPACE INVADERS wis heavier than PARAGON? It's got the added extra backglass but PARAGON's got more playfield mechs (extra banks of 4 drop-targets and a fourth pop bumper). Maybe next year we could have a weigh in? :p

some nutcase(s) should remake Hercules.
Dear Lord, no. Have you ever played one? It's awful. Truly awful. There's a story that the engineers realised that by making all the mechs double the size they ended up being 2x2x2 times more powerful and just shook the game to bits. To compensate the overall construction of the cabinet would have to be umpteen times stronger and then so heavy as to be all but immovable. So all the parts are still powered by mostly standard electronics with a white plastic ball making for a very slow, floaty and tedious game.

It does look cool though and standing next to it makes you feel 6 years old in a Lilliput sort of way ;)

Wednesday on Saturday on Addams on the chair - it doesn't get any better than this for photo ops:
great video, btw if anyone wondered, the brown wooden thing behind on the right was where all the machines' keys were kept, so anyone going in there was fixing something or other. in this video i spied Poibug @TYHO and me and Barry @pinsinthewild and Ivan @Sgt GrizZ and Andy's mum @PUP and Dave S @Pudsey pinball and Mark @Burnley and Roger @RGV and Chris E @ronsplooter and some others that walked by too quick but coulda been Phil and Biff

great video, btw if anyone wondered, the brown wooden thing behind on the right was where all the machines' keys were kept, so anyone going in there was fixing something or other. in this video i spied Poibug @TYHO and me and Barry @pinsinthewild and Ivan @Sgt GrizZ and Andy's mum @PUP and Dave S @Pudsey pinball and Mark @Burnley and Roger @RGV and Chris E @ronsplooter and some others that walked by too quick but coulda been Phil and Biff
Lol hmmm who's games did i fix;):thumbs:

It's been a great weekend with the NLP crew, fabulous show and it really couldn't happen without the generous time you guys put in to make the event the stand out event for pinball. I'm already 'in' for next year and happy to help out once more (and the Mrs too [emoji3])
The 'lock in' was a great addition for me (big thanks to Dan for a well organised extra to the weekend) so I could get some real time in on tables that I dream to own one day....

Oh I did get a stinking manflu afterwards but still worth it !!

Think I got this or something similar Sunday and Monday so missed the takedown, sorry about that guys.

Did anyone end up with a spare wooden support leg btw? Left mine at the venue and while its not a major feat of engineering if I could get it back it'd save me having to knock two bits of wood together and stick some felt on the bottom (for my soft flooring) again :)

Hercules was tedious plus as a 12 year old I could hardly reach the buttons and the tennis ball wouldn't make the top loop. I believe the one on weston pier was skipped and I imagine it was a fate that befell many of them. A super sized game with maybe a ping pong sized ball and a 1/3 bigger than normal cab could work. At least Atari were trying something different but tbh the only decent Atari pin is Superman

Did anyone end up with a spare wooden support leg btw? Left mine at the venue and while its not a major feat of engineering if I could get it back it'd save me having to knock two bits of wood together and stick some felt on the bottom (for my soft flooring) again :)

Roger, have a word with Dave Dutton. He mentioned there was an extra one at end of the pack down, so he's probably got it or knows where it is.

Got my machines backup and GOLD BALL clocked 210 games (in one day), and HOOK 371 over the whole weekend.

Bizarrely the GOLD BALL faults that necessitated the switch off (continually blowing GI fuse and sound off) are now working back in its home - I put it down to the soot in the Northern electric;) but more likely an intermittent problem to reoccur and cure in the future.

Think I got this or something similar Sunday and Monday so missed the takedown, sorry about that guys.

Thought i was coming down with "nerd flu" due to the amount of neck beards in that venue. Managed to shake it off over night :)

I started taking zinc daily at the start of the year(a small boost for the immune system) Not had a cold this year!

I also had alcohol hand gel at the NERG stall which was used after every few games.

I'm disease free :)

The hand gel is a must at these type of events, well done that man ;)

FYI my TAF (no 125 in the row right at the end) clocked 500 games over the 2 days without a single fault - gotta say i'm quite impressed!!

CHeers Kev

Back
Top Bottom