What's new

The OFFICIAL LICENSED 'moans about pricing' thread

It is a metal ball slamming around a plywood playfield hitting plastic things.... what could go wrong?

At the end of the day, as people are paying more for a game than what it cost new a year ago - then let them. It is there money.

Generally when I want to buy a high value item - I turn up and collect it. Check over it and pay. The easiest way.

Pinball over the last 10 years has a totally differenet mentality to it than when I started 25 years ago. SO many collections are a load of NIB games that have been lined up, fair play to the owners as it now takes a lot of money to do that.

For the price of a Stern topper - at one time I could of bought 4 WPC pinball machines.

If the gap between nib and used continues to increase I could see rentals becoming even more popular if recent titles are quickly available. Renter knows exactly how much a game will cost them over x months and don’t have to worry about not being able to move it on, can just try a game for a few months and then return it. Anything major goes wrong it’s not your issue/ cost. People may be less picky about condition as long as everything is working as you don’t have to worry about resale value. Wouldn’t need £8000+ saved up to get a machine in your house. Transport arranging/ added cost might be an issue though.

I guess it’s just whether it’s a good enough profit for someone to start doing as a business or whether it’s not worth the hassle.
I'm sure rentals have their place but at nearly £1000 (including delivery) for 6 months I'd rather take my chances with depreciation.

I'm sure rentals have their place but at nearly £1000 (including delivery) for 6 months I'd rather take my chances with depreciation.
Agree but I’d be interested in a 3 month option for a few games, the delivery 2 ways might add too much though

Just seen the below comment on Pinside, crazy...

---

Ready to vomit?

Last game released pre-COVID was Stranger Things in December 2019. Pricing was:
Pro Model: $US 6,099
Premium Model: $US 7,699
Limited Edition Model: $US 9,099

Current Pricing in 2023:
Pro Model: $US 6,999
Premium Model: $US 9,699
Limited Edition Model: $US 12,999

Price Increase (%):
Pro: 14.8
Premium: 26
LE: 42.9

Just seen the below comment on Pinside, crazy...

---

Ready to vomit?

Last game released pre-COVID was Stranger Things in December 2019. Pricing was:
Pro Model: $US 6,099
Premium Model: $US 7,699
Limited Edition Model: $US 9,099

Current Pricing in 2023:
Pro Model: $US 6,999
Premium Model: $US 9,699
Limited Edition Model: $US 12,999

Price Increase (%):
Pro: 14.8
Premium: 26
LE: 42.9
Pfft, that's nothing. If I buy a Venom Pro I'll be paying 32% more than I payed for my Stranger Things 2 years ago.

But is it worth 32% more? 🤔
For most people I’d say they are only ‘worth’ it if in your head you think you can resell if needed at minimal / no loss . That’s been the assumption for years now. Right now that model is looking very shaky.
No way are any of these big toys 8k, 9k , 10k+ worth of fun . They really aren’t 😂 And I love pinball .

Very interesting if distributors have paid in full for all the stock that’s not moving then this will certainly have a knock on effect to the next game they will only have so much liquidity

I got the impression Phil said that was only for the LEs, is it for all versions?

If you look back on the internet archives, you can see that pinball prices have steadily increased over the years, as have cars, houses, luxury watches etc etc.

NIB prices may have run ahead slightly of affordability just now due to the current cash squeeze, but wages and mentality will catch up and prices will then continue to rise steadily.

You just need to get your heads around it.

The alternative is budget games with even lower bom than a pro

If you look back on the internet archives, you can see that pinball prices have steadily increased over the years, as have cars, houses, luxury watches etc etc.

NIB prices may have run ahead slightly of affordability just now due to the current cash squeeze, but wages and mentality will catch up and prices will then continue to rise steadily.

You just need to get your heads around it.

The alternative is budget games with even lower bom than a pro
Couldn’t agree more. If stern do bttf and do it well people will soak up another price increase to get a dream theme like that . Nib prices aren’t coming down unfortunately

I’m not so convinced people will just pay regardless.
There’s a tipping point for everyone.
I like Godzilla and the one that came up yesterday was significantly cheaper than a NIB but still way more than I would consider paying for a game.
Everyone draws a line in the sand somewhere.

I got the impression Phil said that was only for the LEs, is it for all versions?
I think electrocoin have to take a min order of everything
There are lots of factors now that are making things much harder if you are now paying a much bigger monthly fee on your mortgage and you are already struggling then can you carry on for 2 years like that probably not
Another fact is you now have to pay in full on order and over here it’s probably going to be 3 months before you see a premium so you may as well just wait also people have other games on order that god knows when they are going to come imaging paying in full for a venom premium then you get the call you need to pay for cc how many people have that amount just lying about
I used to always buy an Le but that stopped after Tmnt
I then used to buy a pro and a premium and keep what I thought was best but I am now down to one or the other and I am on the fence with venom I suspect with no sales of either the pro or premium so far at ph I would suspect there will be plenty of stock at electrocoin so I may as well just wait
It will be interesting to see what jjp does with prices on there next game if it’s a poor title then they maybe really struggleing

I’m not so convinced people will just pay regardless.
There’s a tipping point for everyone.
I like Godzilla and the one that came up yesterday was significantly cheaper than a NIB but still way more than I would consider paying for a game.
Everyone draws a line in the sand somewhere.
You'll have a minority that will always pay whatever the price is - the ones who always buy LE regardless, then those below that where prices have become uncomfortably high and have stopped buying NIB. I haven't bought NIB for 2 years but may be tempted this year.

I am on the fence with venom I suspect with no sales of either the pro or premium so far at ph I would suspect there will be plenty of stock at electrocoin so I may as well just wait
No sales of Pro or Premium? Interesting. I fancy one but like you there's no point ordering one at the moment. I'll wait to see how things play out over the next few months.

With the current UK pricing it's also just cheaper to import from the states - I reckon you'd save around 2k...
How is that occurring? Is it exchange rate difference between buying now versus when electrocoin imported them, or something else?

Pros seem to be a lot better value these days than the premiums/LEs. James Bond and FF are good examples. LEs are really gone insane in terms of original cost and given the little extra you get with the LE. Most of the LE features seem to be easy enough to add after the fact, with the exception of the mirrored backglass and some autographs.

How is that occurring? Is it exchange rate difference between buying now versus when electrocoin imported them, or something else?
When you have one organisation with no competition setting rates for games being sold in the UK you end up with this exact situation.

Honestly given the price disparity between the US and UK pricing I'll be looking to import too, even if I suffer a node board failure I'm still going to be quids in.

Back
Top Bottom