What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Supporting Pinshows - Blackpool and beyond - PLEASE comment

Vin[/QUOTE]
Would have loved to go, but because of the distance from down south it would have to be the whole weekend, which I can't spare this time of year. I did have it in the diary though!

Can't believe the hotel is only £15 for the Saturday night too, bargain!

If the event is to raise funds for charity then it definitely needs to go ahead, and I'm sure Donnas will appreciate any donations, but I understand costs need to be covered for sure.

Daventry should sell out next year because it is so far ahead and already in the calendar, plenty of time for advertising.

Might be worth a couple of quid spent on Facebook targeted ads as there are loads of arcade/pin groups on there, I'm sure some of us would also help cover the costs of this, or even donate straight to the event as we can't make it there in person..send us a paypal link..

Hope helpful, keep the faith Chris!

Vin

just a follow up on hotel, weird pricing that, yesterday special was £29 and said my cost is £15, must be points or something, then just now checked again, am seeing £119 and then £79 for exact same dates. Seems to be random!

The same as @Tombyrne I’m afraid. I like to take my family along so it’s got to be a day trip for them to want to come along. Daventry was 1 hour, Manchester about the same. Blackpool just too far for a day trip for me. Best wishes for the event and great admiration for all those who organise things.

We'll be heading over for it and looking forward to it. Been to a few Play Expos now (for work and fun).

Far more happier about another one in Manchester back on the cards next year now there's a new venue. Its closer and as someone else mentioned its better for a night out, choice of hotels, restaurants, other fun things to do like escape rooms, junkyard crazy golf etc. Plus with it being May hopefully it'll be nicer weather than Blackpool - we went the other month to see League of Gentlemen live there and it was freezing!

Sadly can't do PinFest next year as we'd already booked a holiday that clashes timing wise, so it's good to have other options like NERG, play expo, EGX. etc

Just distance it is really far from Norwich, four and a half hour drive - and bad timing from a personal perspective as my wife is a teacher and we get little time off together.

Distance....pure and simple. Blackpool is a pain in the @ss to get to.

NLP at Manchester is fine tho - easy to get to.

As much as I want to see my mates, the timing is poor in terms of the actual date and finances right now. From now until xmas my caledar is ridiculous! Manchester in May would be much more likely assuming no more roofs fall in and empty my wallet!

More or less what everybody else is saying -combination of all of these location, date, half term plus more shows/events now so people don't need to travel as much to get their pinball fix.

Manchester 2019 at central exhibition complex - certainly looks a better venue appearance wise as compared to event city and nightlife/shopping a plus however looks a pita to get to by car/van and i'm sure that parking and hotels will be expensive in central Manchester. New date May bank holiday - who knows, could be great or with it being bank holiday could be road works, train strikes, road closures for athletic events :)

Too much going on for a trip to Blackpool unfortunately - Manchester easy to get to you can fly in and out for the day...

Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I love central Manchester and lived there for 12 years - actually overlooking the relevant exhibition hall, which for many years was called the Gmex.

But, I do think 2 questions need to be asked ...

1. "Will pinheads pay a premium to attend a show there ?"
  2. Will the location attract more casual visitors than the Trafford Centre?

You can walk to the Pinball event from either of the main railway stations (Piccadilly and Victoria), but parking is expensive in central Manchester. Hotels are also more expensive there than at lesser locations.

Some guys would doubtless welcome an event with access to top class city centre amenities, some may look at the overall costs and wish it were in a cheaper place.

If the event followed suit, it would have been the weekend just gone and I would have been there, regardless of the venue change. But, they also changed the weekend and I have other plans, damn it.

If NLP organised it then it then i'm sure it would be a pucker event (not saying that this one isn't going to be), right time, right place, etc but unfortunately Replay Events make the decision on time/place and tbh they messed up with last years one at Manchester by changing dates!!

At the end of the day Replay are doing it for the money, not for pinball ;)

If I understand correctly:
Play Expo sets the date and venue, and then invites NLP to put on some pins in a space they provide. As such there is no point saying "I'd prefer it in such in such a place on such and such a date." as NLP doesn't have a say in the matter.
The only real decision is whether they accept the invitation.

As @Poibug has said a few times, paying on the door is a bit more expensive and the opening time is a bit later - but more importantly the money paid on the door goes to Play not NLP, the tickets bought in advance goes to NLP, and thus the charity. I fully understand people not wanting to commit too far in advance if they aren't sure they are going, but if you're planning to go for a day it makes sense to buy in advance.

Let's face it at first view - Blackpool, the ar$e end of October, is hardly the most inviting of destinations. However there's still a few things to do for families, not least the 'famous' illuminations which will still be on show.

Personally, I don't give a monkey's whether there are arcade machines or anything else other than pinball and would greatly prefer there to be a competition on. However I understand that with only 50-60 machines there isn't the opportunity to put on a 'meaningful' competition worth big WPPR pts, which undoubtedly draw some people. Hopefully this won't be the case come Manchester in May.

I was in 2 minds whether or not to bother going to Blackpool this year, but was of the frame of mind that if everyone thought the same, and didn't take a machine, that there would be a chance that it wouldn't happen which would be a real shame for both the pinball community and the charity. The NLP guys work tremendously hard to raise money and awareness, both at their own shows, and others. How many people benefitted from the organisation and hard work of the NLP guys at Pinfest this year (as well as @Big Phil 's crew)?

Just a few things that I (and partner of the time:p) look at before deciding on whether we'll attend a weekend show. YMMV
Is there a comp?
Is the show in the hotel we can stay at? THIS is the main attraction. Knowing that you don't have to travel to and from the venue.
How far away?
What else is nearby?

Think everyone has really hit it on the head... Couple points I thought were important

Variety of games that are pledged by the same people making game choice a little stagnate, people aren't willing to bring their better games and depend on Pinball Heaven showing up with a massive array of new games which are always the most popular at a show.

I think a massive point is games on location... In the last three years you had Tilt, Flip Out, Electric Circus and all the other places Phil and Matt are putting out there... Are people getting their fix more often making the shows less relevant?

If they are becoming less relevant what needs to change? Phil made some really positive steps forward with talks and streaming this year at UK Pinfest... But could more be done?

I think location is key... Manchester next May could do every well with the correct marketing... This is something that is completely lacking at the moment... Everyone depends on the pinball community but the real money and support is the general public and getting new people into the hobby

Well, this news could be a game changer for everyone I'm sure.... but Blackpool also has an airport with regular flights to/from London ;)

I knew there was an airport but couldn’t find any flights - where did you see the flights?

And for those scoffing - flight from Heathrow to Manchester is half the price of taking the train and takes a lot less time - I’m 20 mins from Heathrow. (and for me even cheaper as I have air miles).

Cheers,
Neil

I would have flown from Norwich too to be honest, but flights to Manchester only - and they are about £85 return - the same as the train, but would need picking up from Manchester, or onward train.

I'm going on the train, think it was about £90 return for the 2 of us from Newport. Should be a lot less stressful than driving that far, and can get drunk too :).

I knew there was an airport but couldn’t find any flights - where did you see the flights?

And for those scoffing - flight from Heathrow to Manchester is half the price of taking the train and takes a lot less time - I’m 20 mins from Heathrow. (and for me even cheaper as I have air miles).
I just did google - heathrow to blackpool. BA run services. And yep, flights are actually decent prices (from £80 return). 1 hour flight. Pretty decent for anyone close enough!

For me it's probably a bit too far + this time of year is not great (too busy at work, too near Christmas, kids stuff etc). Like most on here I have a family and kids and there are only so many " I'm just disappearing for a few days to play games. Good luck with the kids and looking after things while I'm away" you can get away with in a year.

I have made Play Expo in Manchester every year and it has been fantastic but I'm not sure I can make the one in May. For me, Pinfest was perfect. Location good for all, everything on site at a nice hotel and 2 days of absolutely pin playing (if you get the VIP ticket like I did).

As for the physical event. The machine amount and selection has always been great so this isn't something that has to change. Also, I actually think the tickets are too cheap. It is such value for money that this is also not an issue to look at. Maybe lack of advertising is an issue but it's the 'non pinball players' that need to make up the numbers and I'm sure they'd have a great time they just probably don't know about it.

how about local papers, retro games magazines, social media location event feeds, posters, flyers etc.

I'm certainly not criticizing here as I would know how to get to a larger audience and I'd imagine it's very hard.

Anyone on here with marketing experience that can help?

As poi said. The larger event is not our show. Play generously give us a few tickets to sell though, to raise money for charity. We don't want to directly hit their sales to the general public, so we try hard to target our sales only to pinheads and their family/friends.

If you're on Facebook we'd appreciate you following our page and helping spread our promotional posts on there: www.facebook.com/NLPinball

We've actually got a comp running for a bunch of free flyers at the moment, so feel free to join in:

If you're on Facebook we'd appreciate you following our page and helping spread our promotional posts on there: www.facebook.com/NLPinball

Do you have a Twitter page too? I've got more people who would probably interested there than Facebook. Happy to pop a tweet out myself but might be worth looking into an account if there isn't one already.

Distance for me too. Doesnt seem *that* far really - but it is - especially if its a solo road trip.
(And I cant see my better 1/2 being up for it :) )

...Pinball Heaven showing up with a massive array of new games which are always the most popular at a show.

I think a massive point is games on location... In the last three years you had Tilt, Flip Out, Electric Circus and all the other places Phil and Matt are putting out there... Are people getting their fix more often making the shows less relevant?

If they are becoming less relevant what needs to change? Phil made some really positive steps forward with talks and streaming this year at UK Pinfest... But could more be done?

I suppose it is possible that the large locations (Tilt etc) have an impact on the smaller shows, but hopefully it's a *positive* impact on the larger shows. Large shows remain the only events where people can try 50+ games on freeplay over a full weekend.

Would be a shame though if the large locations are under the impression that they've reached that success without realising that it is at least in part due to the success of the shows that introduce pinball to the general public - which has exactly been the mission with Northern Lights from the beginning. I personally wouldn't be involved in this madness if it wasn't for accidentally falling in love with pinball again at the original Blackpool show way back in 2010. An event I went to mainly to play the arcade cabs, but then ended up playing pins all day. So neither the locations or the shows can pat themselves on the back and say 'mission accomplished' without realising that each helps the other.

If the large shows fail, then there wouldn't be the same influx of newbies to pinball that then look for sites to play. Similarly, the sites should be helping promote the large events.

Back
Top Bottom