What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Supporting Pinshows - Blackpool and beyond - PLEASE comment

Poibug

Registered
Hi all,

The subject of generally supporting pin shows pops into my mind now and again, but, as will be seen shortly it's even more prominent in my mind at the mo.

I handle the tickets for NLP, which as ya all know is coming in a few weeks at Blackpool. The number of tickets sold is, to say the least, somewhat disappointing in my opinion.

Our ticket sales is a major part of the amount we are able to contribute to charity each year, and as it stands at the moment the amount of people who have ordered the tickets from our NLP website www.ukpinball.com/twilightzone , is about the same as the amount of people who have kindly indicated they will pledge us their beloved pins.
We have a great varied lineup of pins, thanks to the great pledgers - these pledgers will rightfully get free tickets to the show., and there is plenty of arcade games there - well over 100, as well as shed loads of consoles as usual.
So I can't believe it's a bad looking show.

So, if I may ask, what would it have took to get more to come to this Blackpool show. Is it wrong time of year? Too far away? You don't like Blackpool or the Norbreck? Are you only able to go to a few shows? Pinfest is better suited? Too expensive, ticket or travel wise?
Honest opinions would be very welcome as we're always looking to improve and create the best show possible

And secondly, potentially even more importantly, there is a show in Manchester next year in May that we could be involved in.So what is the appetite for people turning up to that may I ask?

Quite simply because I wonder how it could happen from my own personal perspective, if the ticket sales bought from NLP for AMnchester were to be like the sales for the Blackpool show

Msny Thanks

Poibug

Last edited:
Just the coincidence of the dates hasnt worked for me this year im afraid - will be out of the country for my brothers 30th. Will definately come up in May (and am aware/guilty i havent made the effort i should do for the events up north)

For me personally it's just too far away, 4 hours at least.

Have you got any demographics for the people that are coming - i.e. ratio of north to south?

Bit too far for me, sorry! Actually, it’s more the time it takes, not the distance. And yes; I can only do 1 show per year realistically - the Manchester PlayExpo was do-able if I carshared. Kids, work & running business, family, only 1 car too.

I totally admire the dedication of the NLP crew, I just can’t fathom how you manage to do it.

Last edited:
"Too far" is fair enough. But what would make you change your mind? More pins? Latest titles? Competitions?
Not aimed at anyone in particular... But give us some clues as to what could make it worth it for you :)

For me personally it's just too far away, 4 hours at least.

Have you got any demographics for the people that are coming - i.e. ratio of north to south?

Off the top of my head all people ordered bar one Midlands are Northern

I totally admire the dedication of the NLP crew, I just can’t fathom how you manage to do it.[/QUOTE]

To be honest, due to aforementioned reasons I probably won't in future
I GREATLY appreciate the pledges and people who bought tickets, but in this instance the numbers of people that have bought says it all really imo

Distance isn’t an issue for me. It’s having 2 very young children. They aren’t old enough to attend yet and I work all the hours god sends during the week. So getting away for the weekend is easier said than done, what with other trips for other hobbies etc.. the wife is understanding but I don’t like to take the ****. I will be attending a lot more in a couple of years when the kids can come.

Would have loved to go, but because of the distance from down south it would have to be the whole weekend, which I can't spare this time of year. I did have it in the diary though!

Can't believe the hotel is only £15 for the Saturday night too, bargain!

If the event is to raise funds for charity then it definitely needs to go ahead, and I'm sure Donnas will appreciate any donations, but I understand costs need to be covered for sure.

Daventry should sell out next year because it is so far ahead and already in the calendar, plenty of time for advertising.

Might be worth a couple of quid spent on Facebook targeted ads as there are loads of arcade/pin groups on there, I'm sure some of us would also help cover the costs of this, or even donate straight to the event as we can't make it there in person..send us a paypal link..

Hope helpful, keep the faith Chris!

Vin

I'm not big on the scene but try to get to a few shows each year, just bad timing for me.
I'd definitely consider donating to it and other northern shows, specially if there was some sort of draw etc that have a little incentive for such.

It’s distance (well cost of travel really) have made the effort to get to a few over the years.

Been to braehead play expo and pinfest this year. Pinfest because ....well it was pinfest

Braehead was a last minute decision and as it wasn’t overly expensive for a day trip (about £150 each if I remember)
Pinfest was probably closer to £500 each.

Blackpool would be doable but it’s bad timing this year as we are trying to get our pinball club up and running.

As an aside would a donation or just buying a ticket make the charity more money ? If donation, is there a donation website ?

For me its a bit too far to travel but I still would have made it work and gone if i could, i work weekends which is causing me to miss out on every event going at the moment

Blackpool is probably the major issue. Folk in the North West have Blackpool somewhere in their souls based on their parents'/ childhood trips to the illuminations/ pleasure beach etc. But for many outside the NW, it is just another seaside resort and one that is a long way away

I am going as I used to live in Manchester, so am open minded on the NW. Have you put some Facebook adverts out covering Blackpool ? Or put it on Blackpool tourism sites ?

I think that the recent raft of competitive league/ events in the South might play a part too as folk may be approaching peak pinball.

Central Manchester is in a totally different league to Blackpool. Much easier to get to, fantastic night out, great choice of restaurants.

I bought a ticket but not sure yet if can go or not and yes, distance is a factor.

Presumably having no comp lowers the numbers?

I think there are several reasons first one is there are now several show throughout the year with the same pins and people so people are probably going to choose the biggest and most local one
Also there are now a fair few venues doted around the uk with lots of pins swl tilt flipout chief so you don’t have to wait all year
Another thing is the comps not my thing but it does bring the masses and the dollar
I am sure a lot of people will pay on the door for Blackpool I know I will

NLP just seems too far away for me personally. Manchester would be the same.

However, there are other factors at play. There’s only so many events I can go too without compromising family life. In the SE we have the SE league and London league. so that’s already 12 weekend events over the year. Other events such as the funball 4 would have been good to have gone to

Factor in a couple of 1 off events at a Flip out, Daventry and play expo and the calendar is looking really full.

My pin mojo is a bit low at the moment so I’m less inclined to travel to play games. I can’t ever start to commit to the weekly flip out league even though it’s less than an hour away

Roll back 10 years and there was only the U.K. league and a couple of weekend events such as the SCS. So everything seemed a bit more special

I’m also a social animal so peer pressure plays a part. If a group of people were heading up I’d be more likely to tag along

Good luck with the show and I hope you get a bunch of people paying on the door. It obviously takes huge amounts of time and effort to put things on

Purely down to distance for me. Must be a 5+ hour drive. Shame as I'd like to attend.

Blackpool is a sh1t hole, the Norbrek is bad by all accounts, Blackpool doesnt have any decent links to the South like Manchester etc. By having a show in Blackpool you're only really appealing to a small group of NW pinball dudes and no further away.

All the Southerners have just been to pinfest and that didnt sell out AFAIK....

Like @chris b says maybe due to the amount of decent pin venues these days the show scene isn't as important as it once was.

I gave out flyers for Pinfest in every parts order for almost a year before the show, no one gave me any flyers to send out for this show....

Phil

Yep same for me in that the distance is the main factor in not attending. Either a 4 hour drive or a 6 hour train journey. If it was held in the warmer months I'd be more likely to go and make a long weekend of it. So in that respect a seaside location is a good thing IMO, it's just a bit too far for me.

Thanks for initial feedback.
Keep it coming
Opinions on Manchester are very important
If I go, i'll pay on the day, same as NLP and Pinfest.

Be good to see ya mate, tho you paying on the door is dearer, you can't get in till 11 rather 10 and play get the money, nor nlp

Good luck with the show and I hope you get a bunch of people paying on the door. It obviously takes huge amounts of time and effort to put things on[/QUOTE]

Thanks for feedback.
If people pay on the day play then get the money, not NLP.Plus it's dearer on door,and entry is then 11 onwards rather than 10 onwards

I'm from a retro gaming background first before pins. Having been a few times I can say that Blackpool is a great show that attracts both childlike adults like me as well as kids.
So although the sales for tickets might be poor for the pins. There will be loads of non pinball people there who will enjoy and discover how great pinball is.
So overall it is certainly a win for the hobby.

But everyone knows Blackpool is a sh! T hole. But that is half the fun.

Ticket bought for the weekend only going the one day but happy to donate to nlp

I think if pinfest happens next year then Manchester will be very quiet

Cheers will send it out in a bit

Re show fair point, probably best for me to not waste my time on Manc

1/2 Term, 4-500 mile round trip, manic both in and out of work all contributed :(

Most important tho is that my misses used to live in Blackpool and she absolutely hates the place... have been trying to drag her back, however she's having none of it :(

Distance, i’m Afraid. Don’t forget some of us can only attend for one day. I would love to go but not worth it for a few hours.
Daventry, nice and central with all the focus on pins. ( although that should have been open to all from 9 am imo).

Back
Top Bottom