What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stern Venom

Think the next Dead Flip stream starts at midnight, hopefully and hoping to see how the Pro plays.

Think the next Dead Flip stream starts at midnight, hopefully and hoping to see how the Pro plays.
Without being too cyclical- Like a Premium with permanently disabled mechs and no Doppleganger targets. Might still be fun but it’s definitely missing more than say TMNT pro- you can live without one gimmicky diverter; but taking away four must make the game less enjoyable

Watched a little of the stream last night and at least Stern didn’t strip the flippers out the pro, maybe someone told Seth those are needed…

Wow there is nothing on the pro at all, 2 fast locks or not for 8-8.5k you shouldn’t feel like the game has nothing in it.

Pro looks like it plays well at least!

But just the fast locks, carnage, and the vuk as mechs/toys.

If stern keep stripping back every release to this extent while chipping away at the BOM surely this will not only lead to plummeting sales.

WTAF I’m speechless and just hope Elwin’s next outing makes up for this travesty if not then woe is Stern the end is nigh!

If stern keep stripping back every release to this extent while chipping away at the BOM surely this will not only lead to plummeting sales.

WTAF I’m speechless and just hope Elwin’s next outing makes up for this travesty if not then woe is Stern the end is nigh!

I think they are in danger of going too far down a ‘faster pussycat kill kill ! ‘ …. ‘All hail the gods of flow and speed’ blind alley 😃

Nothing wrong at all with the ball being held up at times in a pinball machine - allows for some drama and anticipation …think of the iconic moments in 90s pins which love them or not are the things that grabbed peoples imagination and stuck in their heads even decades later …. Thing on TAF, the Trunk in TOM etc

Little over the top, I'm not massively sold on this one but Stern are smashing it and will sell lots of Venom

Pro looks like it plays well at least!

But just the fast locks, carnage, and the vuk as mechs/toys.
A vari-target (carnage) and a VUK can’t be classified as toys and they are no more a mech than a flipper or sling.

Stern have become very good at dressing up things that are required for a pin to actually function and be a pin as mechs/toys.

A vari-target (carnage) and a VUK can’t be classified as toys and they are no more a mech than a flipper or sling.

Stern have become very good at dressing up things that are required for a pin to actually function and be a pin as mechs/toys.

Can’t be long until ‘ Balls ‘ is listed in the features 🤦‍♀️

I am after a fast/tough playing Pin so wouldn't completely rule this one out, but I'm indifferent to the Marvel Universe and NIB price is always problematic nowadays. I'll stick it on the 'maybe, when a used one comes up for sale' pile.

Toys/mechs are fun but can grow old pretty fast. It's all about the gameplay for me.

As someone who looks out for those fast playing games the Pro looks to be super fast. Looks like it will be a great completion machine mind you. Not for me this game, not keen on a game also where to progress it appears you are kinda forced to use all this IC stuff.

You would have lost the plot to choose this game over a Deadpool I think.

Stern do a good job of disguising the fact that most pro's now don't have many/any mechanical toys.

GZ pro is highly regarded but does it actually have any toys/mechs? It is pretty stripped back as well.
The profit on GZ pro must be higher than any other of their normal machines ( forget things like Bond 60th, Elvira 40th, Supreme etc ), there's next to nothing in it ( 1 pop, 1 magnet, 1 scoop ). Annoying that it's still such good fun :D.

The profit on GZ pro must be higher than any other of their normal machines ( forget things like Bond 60th, Elvira 40th, Supreme etc ), there's next to nothing in it ( 1 pop, 1 magnet, 1 scoop ). Annoying that it's still such good fun :D.
I doubt GZ will ever be topped and IMO will remain the best game ever made period. it was a one off due to the amount of time and effort spent during lockdown with super polished code on release, perfect flow and for those who could afford a Prem/LE the best toys and mechs of any pin. The design is on another level and in some respects the flow is kinda mirrored on Foo and im sure this is probs down to the GOAT Elwins input.
If you do go prem on GZ the mechs also actually do something by altering the game path, locking the balls and cascading multi ball in spectacular fashion with the same deal on the turntable.
The only quotes we are hearing about Venom are its FAST! and even Jack said the Pez dispensers either side of the slings compound this moreso! Is this a selling point?

note to self: pop to my local drug dealer for some speed ready for my 1st flip on Venom

And here in is the essence of it all. You don't need millions of stuff on a game to make it a brilliant game. Flash Gordon,Paragon, EBD have very little on the playfield, but I still much prefer to play them to GNR or Hobbit or insert almost any game with loads of mechs. For me, I enjoy watching the building on GZ, but if we're talking about actually playing the game, the Pro is better in my opinion, I think that is the case for the majority of games actually. They just play with more flow and less gimmicks slowing the game down. So although it seems that Stern are taking the **** on price (they are) with removing mechs etc, in my head I'm paying the money for all the time and effort that Elwin put in to making the perfect shooting game, not the hardware.

You can't just chuck a load of mechs on a playfield and it automatically be a great game. It takes a really brilliant designer who has honed their craft to make an amazing game that feels just right

I completely agree with Craig’s comment, mechs mean nothing to me. The GZ building is good the first few times, after that it’s just an inconvenience - delaying your game. Nice flow, good sound & deep rules are more important to me.
The fancy mechs are what some people are after though so I can see why they don’t like the stripped down Pro’s, luckily for me I prefer them…. although thank god they didn’t make a Metallica without a Sparky - that would have ruined it!

As someone who looks out for those fast playing games the Pro looks to be super fast. Looks like it will be a great completion machine mind you. Not for me this game, not keen on a game also where to progress it appears you are kinda forced to use all this IC stuff.

You would have lost the plot to choose this game over a Deadpool I think.
Dwight confirmed during a chat that all the IC stuff is there if you wish to use it and go deep into all the connective stuff but first and foremost it’s s pinball like any other at the base layers of the code.

Dwight confirmed during a chat that all the IC stuff is there if you wish to use it and go deep into all the connective stuff but first and foremost it’s s pinball like any other at the base layers of the code.
Good to see them adding ( extremely slowly ) features to IC but until they get head to head play in there ( probably never ) it's a huge missed opportunity to me. I log into mine all the time but don't give a **** about achievements and badges, I do it just for the convenience of not having to put my name in manually.

The LE is £4200 more than the Premium? Wow 😲. So you are basically paying about £3800 for Seth Davis' and Brian Eddy's signatures.

Nope, you're paying for the le plaque.

Stern know they have about 800 customers worldwide who will buy every le regardless of what the extras are for it.

So thats £3M extra profit on every release. It would be stupid of them not to milk that cow as long as it keeps producing.

Back
Top Bottom