What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stern Venom

Cheeky 😅😅😅 no not at minute , not sure a lot will be in on it tbh
You could be right on this Paul, it’s a top theme here (anything comic book/superhero related is always a winner with me) but Eddy is getting like Borg, it’s copy and paste.

At these prices, it’s only Elwin (& Jack going off Foo) that can command these current prices, with fresh new layouts, great mechs (building!) great code and fantasti rules.

Venoms art is amazing and the code sounds great, but it’s yet another Eddy fan layout (starting to wonder if he actually designed Shadow at this point) with all its parts borrowed from Mando, it needs to be played first.

I don't think the 3 dangly targets are real, they way they hang and swing in the video I think they hang infront of 3 lanes that I bet you have to hit behind them to register. Code should be brilliant, they've had the time to get it ready for launch. A pass for me but hope they buyers have a blast....

I don't think the 3 dangly targets are real, they way they hang and swing in the video I think they hang infront of 3 lanes that I bet you have to hit behind them to register. Code should be brilliant, they've had the time to get it ready for launch. A pass for me but hope they buyers have a blast....
According to Dwight code is only at like 0.75 currently, he’s probably the most imaginative coder since Lyman, always trying new stuff.

Those dangly targets are straight out of Mando, it’s the Razorcrest target x 3

Thankfully the Premium has the best art and again a slight variation on the LE art in places. Initially I loved the LE art but there’s just more comic book stuff going on in the premium art.

Thing is, tight shots and complex rules aren't going to work for new pinheads.
I've got to say I agree.

It feels like it's going for Rogue-like/RPGs where you can choose characters, gain XP (experience points) and level up, and eventually win the game through grinding experience. That's pretty amazing on a pinball machine, but - critically - games like Hades (which is amazing @Jackpot, totally agree :) ) can make this really easy and intuitive, such that you don't need a rulebook.

The rules book for Venom looks a mess. It might be obvious in play, but - having played a lot of modern Sterns and looking at the playfield - I strongly doubt it. If I was going to go for a Rogue-like pin, I'd build from the ground up with a playfield design and artwork that supported the code. And this... isn't it. It looks like a whole lot of other Brian Eddy playfields and a bunch of Zombie Yeti comic art.

It's such a wasted opportunity that, if I had a lot of time and had finished my playfield swap, I'd be starting to consider building a home-brew just to experiment with bringing that kind of video game into the pinball world. Personally, if I were Stern, I'd go for a Dungeons & Dragons licence, because everyone's familiar with that, and build up from there.

Last edited:

I disagree, had a look at the video in quarter speed and it looks to me like there is a PCB on the back of the mech and the targets swing back and triggers on that, either an opto or magnet trigger I would say based on the big sticky out part on the right of the targets.

It does look like the 3 targets line up with 3 shots on there but on the video he hits the left hand target off center and lands on the target to the left of the left hand shot that lines up and it still triggers the shot, that could be in the code though.

The Premium mechs with the Pro art package would be my preference- I’m sure Stern do this on purpose. Rarely seem to pair up the best art onto the superior game

The Premium mechs with the Pro art package would be my preference- I’m sure Stern do this on purpose. Rarely seem to pair up the best art onto the superior game
Premium art is the best imo, it’s got so much more going on compared to the LE, having Venom in huge writing down the side of the cabinet with Carnage drives the fanboy OCD in me crazy.

The premium just looks like a comic panel but the pro is easily the second best.

Anyone else notice Stern are getting lazy with the Translites these days, since Deadpool (minus one or two exceptions GZ) there have been no differences between premium and LE translites except for the mirroring which you can get done for a lot less than the 4.2k difference from Stern.

Backbox sides also seem to be sharing similar variations of the same art, as well as art blades getting bery similar between premium and LE, which dilutes the exclusiveness imo, the LE should have drastically different art.

I think the pro playfield looks really stripped out, more so than usual- it seems odd to remove the mechs which change the ball paths given the trailer talks about ‘choose your host, change the game’. You can’t do this with the pro unless code compensates - seems like on the Premium/LE your character dictates which position the mechs divert or feed to the ramps and wire forms.

I just can't get past the googly eyes right above the flippers.

Attachments

• giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    41.2 KB · Views: 1
I think its about time we had a nice fan layout and it looks great IMO but the code worries me. It's a Dwight game and he comes up with some great fun ideas and moments but also overly complicated and difficult to understand and most importantly unbalanced. I hear Raymond Davidson is helping out which I've been saying for a while, Dwight needs a coding/rules partner but RayDay has proven to be fairly awkward and complicated with his games too so I'm predicting a very confusing (to the average pinball player) ruleset with too many choices.

I’m a big venom fan but something is just not clicking with me. Not how I thought a venom game would look but maybe it plays great.

Looking forward to the stream tonight.

I'm quite new to all this so I don't have the reference detail of most members.

I think the art looks great - Zombie Yeti art makes the playfield look very busy but to me there's not a lot of difference between this and stranger things layout.

1000 LE's seems a lot and the difference in gameplay to the pro doesn't seem that great?

A really complicated ruleset and different gameplay order just equates to a different schedule of shots right? But the shots will be the same, just in a different order?

Once your aim is dialled in, won't the longevity of the game be compromised - no matter how complicated the ruleset is?

Obviously, i could be misunderstanding the whole thing 🤔

Thank you mr danger ! Best part of this game is the art imo. The rules remind me of aiq which isn’t good for me. The whole game is at the back … it looks to be up down up down up down up down. Imo I’d get fed up of that pretty fast …phew my bank account is safe 😎

It's looks to me after watching stream that games so fast for an average player I think ball will be hard to control and lots of drains
Understand they have the comic book feel but I personally don't like the animations way been done its AIQ style and never really got away with that game too

It's looks to me after watching stream that games so fast for an average player I think ball will be hard to control and lots of drains
Understand they have the comic book feel but I personally don't like the animations way been done its AIQ style and never really got away with that game too
It’s hard to get over new pin fomo but there’s better things to come I think from stern especially we elwin next

Back
Top Bottom