What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

South West League 2018

Moonraker

Site Supporter
As many of you are aware, the South West League has not happened so far this year.

Obviously it would be nice to have representation from the South West at the league finals in August. I don't think wild cards would work in this instance as how do you favour certain people over others..?

So I am putting this idea out to see if a) it's acceptable (@Wayne J @Helmut Langenbruch ) and b) if there's enough interest to make it happen.

The idea is to hold the equivalent of 4 meets (of 4 machines) in 1 day at Special When Lit.

My suggested and preferred date is Sunday 22nd July, so there is 6 weeks notice.

Participants can choose if they wish to partake in 1, 2, 3 or all 4 meets.

Costs:
£5 normal SWL admission fee plus the normal £2 league entry fee per meet (so £8 should you choose to do all 4 meets). The usual league optional donation of £1 for food and drink for the day will apply.
Open from 11 am for practice, start 12noon. We will stay open later beyond 5pm for league games still being played but all other games will be switched off at 5pm.
Games not chosen for the league will be available to play throughout the day.

I myself am playing in the London & SE league along with @new forest pinball and @NewForestPinballJr , so will be a completely independent neutral host.

Machines in each meet will be decided a week before the event but are most likely to be from the following list:
Attack From Mars
Catcus Canyon Continued
Genesis
Gorgar
Junkyard
Medieval Madness
Metallica Master Of The Puppets LE
Monster Bash
Pinball Magic
Pink Panther
Scared Stiff
Spirit
Star Trek:The Next Generation
Star Wars LE
Terminator 2
The Amazing Spider-man
The Getaway: High Speed 2
Theatre Of Magic
Transformers Combo LE
Tron:Legacy
Twilight Zone (3rd Magnet Installed)
Whitewater

I have been informed that this clashes with another event taking place in the South West that I had been made aware of but didn't know the exact date.

I think I might be able to manage Sunday 29th July but given a lack of replies on here I have to ask if there is the desire...?

Why should there be special treatment.Especially in an existing league year,they must have known about this for a while.
Going forward Amalgamate with other southern league.
South West could have gone to South East this year.
I have to ask,why hasn't there been one this year in South West,what are the reasons.

I’d be keen if this is possible!

22nd July would be great for me. Unfortunately wouldn’t be able to make 29th July as I’m in Portugal

Hi Pete

Yes great Idea and please count me in. Hopefully we can get next years SW League meets sorted. Meanwhile this is a good idea for a temporary fix.

Thanks for hosting and appreciated.

Thanks Peter, sounds a good idea . 29th works for me.

I'm not sure that many of the SW regulars frequent the forum so might need to send out an email to gauge interest IF this proposal for SW 2018 league is acceptabe in the first place?

is Sunday 29th Ian's event I thought? (I'll be at pinburgh though).

22nd of July is the last round of the South East and London League.

Hi Pete

It would be a 'yay' from me 29th is fine.

Thanks for taking on/proposing

Cheers, Nick

Why should there be special treatment.Especially in an existing league year,they must have known about this for a while.
Going forward Amalgamate with other southern league.
South West could have gone to South East this year.
I have to ask,why hasn't there been one this year in South West,what are the reasons.

Fair point, it was just a helpful suggestion to try to make something happen for SW given the time.

I stepped down from running SW league at end of last year's season and the guy who took over didn't get around to organising anything! To be fair given his situation, I'm not entirely surprised and given my personal situation I wouldn't have been able to do it myself anyway!

So can see its not fair vs other leagues who organised everything well. In SW it just didn't happen and was just a suggestion to try to salvage something, but as I say whether that's acceptable or not is questionable.

Hopefully with different circumstances we'll get out **** together for next year one way or another.

Fair point, it was just a helpful suggestion to try to make something happen for SW given the time.

I stepped down from running SW league at end of last year's season and the guy who took over didn't get around to organising anything! To be fair given his situation, I'm not entirely surprised and given my personal situation I wouldn't have been able to do it myself anyway!

So can see its not fair vs other leagues who organised everything well. In SW it just didn't happen and was just a suggestion to try to salvage something, but as I say whether that's acceptable or not is questionable.

Hopefully with different circumstances we'll get out **** together for next year one way or another.

See what your saying but salvage job should have been started a few months ago,not last-minute dot com

I appreciate that this is trying to help resolve a situation, but what if other leagues start to think 'oh, its ok, we can just cram our entire league season into one meet'? I don't think this is a good example to set. I thought the point of a league is to gauge players performance over a set period, not just find the best player/s on any particular day.

In summary: Hmm

On sat 21st and sun 22nd i will be hosting a charity pinball event near Chelmsford. I’m eager to join a leage and also wouldnt mind hosting meets as well so if others are interested i’ll definately be up for it!

Last edited:
Perhaps I don't get the 'politics' of it (and that's fine by me), but not sure what the 'angst' is all about?

It's another date that folk can get together and play pinball in a vaguely competitive environment, but fundamentally it's a niche hobby with people playing with large toys. Where's the hassle? :)

What's not to like about more chances to play pinball?

Due to a combination of circumstances things didn't come together for the South West League earlier this year - thumbs up to Pete for stepping in and suggesting something that could happen :thumbs::thumbs:

Too late really I think, put your names in a hat and draw some players out.

Perhaps I don't get the 'politics' of it (and that's fine by me), but not sure what the 'angst' is all about?

It's another date that folk can get together and play pinball in a vaguely competitive environment, but fundamentally it's a niche hobby with people playing with large toys. Where's the hassle? :)

Due to a combination of circumstances things didn't come together for the South West League earlier this year - thumbs up to Pete for stepping in and suggesting something that could happen :thumbs::thumbs:

It's the simple fact that other leagues sorted theirs correctly and fairly by the rules,and it removes any potential advantage of them being in one area potentially giving an advantage as ALL games on one venues machines,not four five or six different venues machines.
Regarding playing pins,yes all good.You can go to special when lit for a good play many times during year.Peter is open many days

Playing Devil's Advocate I can understand all the south westies saying yay but will this not set a precedent for other leagues/years?

Don't know any of the problems/politics as to why the league never happened but surely this is like trying to close the stable door after the horse has bolted, should have been done a lot earlier when the first meet never happened or got organised.

I play in the Northern league and try to get to all 6 meets but missed two this year, one due to illness and one due bad timing/distance - 280/300 mile round trip 12 hour plus day.

I would miss going to 6 different meets and meeting up with everybody 6 times and also playing 6 different collections of games but playing a full seasons league meet in one day would save me hell of a lot of money on fuel plus also give me 5 spare Sundays as well :D

It's the simple fact that other leagues sorted theirs correctly and fairly by the rules,and it removes any potential advantage of them being in one area potentially giving an advantage as ALL games on one venues machines,not four five or six different venues machines.
Regarding playing pins,yes all good.You can go to special when lit for a good play many times during year.Peter is open many days

As per previous, not getting the 'angst', but each to their own:):thumbs:

Thanks for clarifying that I can go Special When Lit when I want - - much appreciated:thumbs:

If the event Peter is proposing happens and I go, close to negligible chance of me qualifying for anything, which is absolutely fine by me. Just happy to support Pete in keeping a pinball venue going.

northern guys just worried that the better southern players will beat them ;) they seem to be the only ones moaning.

There has been a lot with going on with people and changes, I think Peter's suggestion is sensible one.

Cheers,
Neil.

whats the "potential" advantage? Can you explain it in detail please? To me it looks like it will be the same for all competing? If you are ****, you'll still be ****. If you are good you will be good? I'm struggling with this.

What if next year I hire 6 venues and a van, and take my pins to all the venues? is there a rule stopping that?

Neil.

northern guys just worried that the better southern players will beat them ;) they seem to be the only ones moaning.

There has been a lot with going on with people and changes, I think Peter's suggestion is sensible one.

Cheers,
Neil.

Nope we abide by the rules,get our **** sorted,play fair and a very successful league probably 35 people average.I am sure our northern organisers can pass on organisational tips if required

whats the "potential" advantage? Can you explain it in detail please? To me it looks like it will be the same for all competing? If you are ****, you'll still be ****. If you are good you will be good? I'm struggling with this.

What if next year I hire 6 venues and a van, and take my pins to all the venues? is there a rule stopping that?

Neil.

If some people go to special when lit a lot they know the intricacies of those games very well.Yet normal leagues you don't know all those games as well as spread across many venues thus making it fairer.

're bringing machines I would love to play your bm,imdn,afmr and mmr at daventry

Last edited:
is Sunday 29th Ian's event I thought? (I'll be at pinburgh though).

22nd of July is the last round of the South East and London League.

Ian's is the clash I'm avoiding on 22nd plus I'd missed off my calendar that the 22nd was the L&SE league meet..! :eek:

I don't think the SW league players should be penalised for not having any league meets to attend hence my offering to host this.
I hear what @Poibug says about other area's getting their sh!t together and agree with it but it that doesn't solve anything for this year.

If some people go to special when lit a lot they know the intricacies of those games very well.Yet normal leagues you know all those games as well as spread across many venues thus making it fairer.

're bringing machines I would love to play your bm,imdn,afmr and mmr at daventry

I'm bringing TNA and TWD :)

home advantage is clear but I suggest the SW folks plays often enough at SWL thats its less of an issue.

I think one of the issues in holding all meets at once is that if someone has a crap day, then they don't get a second chance. You've also got issues picking a date, because again, a single date could mean player X can't make it.

Like others have said, it's a pretty crap deal for the SW players and doesn't seem a fair representation of the best players over the last year. It would be good to see the best of the SW make finals, and given the circumstances I suppose a single tournament to decide it (such as what Pete is essentially proposing) is arguably the best option, but still - Meh

Got to hold our hands up and say in SW we didn't get our **** together for whatever reason and it does seem very late in the day. I'd already accepted no SW league this year and was looking to next year. Wouldn't want to set a precedent for future years to hold the whole season on one day!

I totally agree an advantage to those players familiar with machines at a particular venue, hence why we've always tried in the league to have different hosts and also if someone can't make that one day in this suggestion then they're screwed.

Also got to remember the principals of the league as the excuse to meet up, chat pinball etc, play other games and just enjoy the hobby:) Hence, the fun in 6 different meets at 6 different venues around the region over the course of 6-9 months.

Back
Top Bottom