What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

South West League 2018

Eg golf, tennis, darts, snooker all.based on points or.prize money earned as far as I'm aware so all encourage you to enter as many events as possible
As soon as the prize money for pinball is comparable to any of the above I'm sure attendances will sky rocket :p. All of those are professional sports with 100s of 1000s of competitors doing it full time - this is a hobby realistically, with significantly less competitors.

Chess ranks head to head performances, and also values who the player beaten is. That's similar to how the IFPA ratings are currently calculated I think - a Glicko based system.

Head to head results are used in the vast majority of team sports as leagues are used to evaluate best teams, ranking system for international teams use head to head results and all kinds of other formula applied. There's no reason why head to head results can't be the basis of a ranking system for pinball. Each team is counted as an 'individual'.

participation is the critical issue for pinball, especially here in the UK!

Ohio Pinball Wizard
Ranking Strength 14.40
Ratings Strength 8.86
Base value 32
Rated players 79
TGP100%
Tournament Value 55.27

Now compare that to the largest comp in the UK (UK Pinball League)
Ranking Strength 4.45
Ratings Strength 6.65
Base Value 32
Rated players 163
TGP 100%
Tournament Value 43.1

So over double the amount of players in the comp which lasts a full year, includes all of the best players in the UK and is still worth less than a comp ran in the US due to the way the WPPR points are allocated.
The US players get higher WPPR pts due to the tournament value, which in turn increases the tournament value of the next one they enter etc. etc. etc, and they’re not insignificant points.

The gap is ever widening, and there is no way to close it until there are significantly more comps and participants in the UK than in the US, and it would still take dozens of years to try and close the gap.

It’s not simply about maxing out competitors and TGP.

Yeah but how do you know that the Ohio games doesn't have better players in it? (lol its a wind up question btw! :)

The top players in the goto IFPA and over a season they play each other in their locality. And looking at the ratings and IFPA results its not a million miles away, player vs player only useful if everyone could play everyone which is impossible. I'm not saying its perfect by any means, but your welcome to create your own system.

for me my aim is to enjoy myself and play better than the last tournament, then the ranking etc will take care of itself in my last tourney I beat a lot of players with a higher rank and some players beat me with a lower rank -> result -> I need to keep trying to play better for the next event! I think you can over think ranking and scores and positions. If you are better then go to one of the big tourneys and see what you can do! With regard to your other point, nobody remembers Michael Shuey for the years he raced and didn't win a championship!

Cheers,
Neil.

I remember Neil, from his amazing debut for Jordan, an outstanding 1992 and 93 for Benneton before winning his first title. He was a special talent from day 1

So this was a quote from Josh on tiltforums during the creation of the POWER100. I said that the only value of the ranking system for me was qualification for the IFPA World Championship, Josh replied

‘Outside of IFPA WC qualifying, that’s essentially what the WPPR system is anyway. It’s an ego stroke for some players but overall is mostly meaningless’

So don’t get too stressed or put too much weight in it, if Mr IFPA is saying it’s mostly meaningless, don’t let it bother you either.

If your that way inclined though, the IFPA WC is seriously cool

Back
Top Bottom