What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Progress Slightly Leathal Weapon 3

Hi all.....not much progress this week really as I am waiting to collect some ICD Molex headers and connectors from Mel at one stop. As he lives across the road from my dad's. But here goes.....been refurbing the dmd/ speaker panel as it was in two bits.( cracked clean in half...how does that happen????) and the speakers looked like they had spent a week swimming at sandbanks! Plastic welded the panel back together.looks ok but would really like to find a replacement.
image.jpeg
New speakers......and Perspex as some plonker(who will remain nameless spilt paint remover on it!) oh well needed a new one anyway...honest........
image.jpeg
Stripped the playfield it's well minging!! Will t-cut and polish it when I get a chance. Will make a decision on removing the Mylar once it's polished as most of the time the Mylar responds to a bit of the old paint renovator.........
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Wire ramps cleaned with hot soapy water and a kitchen pan metal scourger..lovely jubley...
image.jpeg
Plastics cleaned, a few broken but with so much else wrong/broken/damaged/missing/bodged on this machine frankly I don't give a dam!
image.jpeg
On stripping the playfield a few jobs revealed themselves (single man style!!?) missing switches, rusted flasher bulb holders, broken ramp entrance(has become unwelded maybe I can solder it if I boost my iron to 490 degrees c!?......missing bulb holders on the super spinners and switch actuators missing...to mention a few...if I remember to take photos as I fix you will see what I mean....that's it for now.......dmd repairs next and playfield refurb...

Re-flowed the dmd solder joints today plenty of dry one's! Should explain why there are so many lines out... Hopefully will sort it! Will test when I have corrected the back box connectors and wiring.
image.jpeg
Also made a new speaker panel bracket as one had snapped off leaving very little plastic behind......here it is......
image.jpeg
The full monty! Ready to plug in. But not sure where the cable is that connects the dmd to the dmd driver board.....must of had it I do not remember now. Will have a rummage...if anyone has a spare let me know. Just in case...
image.jpeg
Now onto the ppb board with its bodged wiring! Eeeekkkk!!
image.jpg
image.jpg
That's better!.....the rest of the board tests ok on the bench.see what happens when I do the other end of the connector and plug her in..........
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
More to come......

Last edited:
Metalwork off for cleaning....so good opertunity to t-cut and polish the playfield.....
image.jpg
Stand up targets not good. Take a look...2 cracked one broken.
image.jpeg
Could not find stock of four yellow targets anywhere. Pinball center had one... So I got a set of red........will use the single yellow target too....
image.jpeg
Ahhhhh....much better....look good in red I think.
image.jpg
Metal guides back. Also fitted a set of super brite flashers, and cool White led G.I. I will get a picture of that up tomorrow as my workshop is too dark now for a good pic! Gonna change those horrible metal/hard plastic (well it goes hard over time) D.E. Posts for some nice bouncy WMS Style star posts in red. This really improves the flow and speed of the old D.E. Games.
What do you all think......?
image.jpeg

Yes, great shop log. Just read it all in one go beginning to end. So nice to see another unloved pin brought back to life :)

..........gun barrel resprayed and a red led for the end and a 9 LED tower for the flasher. Also my idc Molex connectors are in to rebuild the back box wiring. Hooray!
image.jpeg
Just got time to rebuild the slingshots playfield side before my curry! If you are wondering what the double-ended stick is its a switch contact cleaning tool.......
image.jpeg
Going to keep the rubbers black on this machine I think......oh and some nice NOS slingshot plastics. Nice.....curry time...laters... :)0)
image.jpg

Now it is time to replace the idc connectors on the TRANSLITE illumination , and for the ppb wiring..
Tools , socket and wiring diagram at the ready....
image.jpeg
Think it best to bullet and butt the TRANSLITE panel...as its all #906 lamps that draw a lot of current things can get rather hot!
image.jpeg
That's better!.....plus a few cable ties (in white of course!) to tidy things up a bit.....
image.jpeg
With the wires in the back box for the illumination circuits particular attention needs to be payed to the cables as there is 2 of each colour. One set for voltage in (from the power supply) and voltage out to the lamps......here they are.......
image.jpeg
Nice.........looks tidy now with no remains of the fire!!!!
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Need to do a few playfield repairs now. First look at this super spinner switch, it has no actuator. How annoyed would you be if you it the spinner with no effect....:mad:
image.jpeg
New actuator fitted. Luvely jubley!
image.jpeg
The other super spinner has no bulb holder....
image.jpeg
Sorted!..........:thumbs:

image.jpeg
Going to make a start on re-assembling the playfield next.....starting from the top......lane guides first .....
image.jpeg
Stand up targets looking scruffy and tired, one snapped in half!
image.jpeg
image.jpg

Stand up targets refurbished! Groovy baby!:)
image.jpg
To:wave:be continued.......

Back of this machine has been really bothering me. I know you rarely see it, but a have rarely seen a back so bad!! So I need to spray it, just a quick job, will fill the big gauges otherwise leave as is ....this is what it looks like.......
image.jpg
Decided to paint it fiat sprint blue, for three reasons 1. Had some left over from a fiat coupe turbo. 2. It reminds me of driving it! That turbo over boost !! Wow did that car move.
And 3. It's actually not a bad match?!..........here it is afterwards more to tidy it up really...looks a lot better.....
image.jpg

Worked on a dead lw3 for a customer today..noticed that only six of the back box bulbs are 906 flashers! Some bodger must of just shoved in what they had! Crazy......here's what it should look like.......
image.jpeg
Nearly finished putting the playfield back together today..just needs a few rubbers and switches done....
image.jpeg
Started on the underside of the playfield , cleaned all the inserts with pound land dash wipes and a flat head screw driver. Loads of bulbs out for three main reasons 1)
Rusty bulb holders ...these will need replacing for sure...
image.jpg
2) dirt corrosion on the bulb or holder.....yuck
image.jpeg
3) or just old n blown....will test with my power supply to see if the bulb or the holder is to blame.........
image.jpg
Some hooligan spilt paint remover on this as well!! Here's one cleaned with new lamps where needed....much better....
image.jpeg
Wire hanging off the right sling shot.......
image.jpg
Next will use my gas soldering iron to repair but now it's time for sweet potato curry...ciao for now......

Work and family commitments have determined that nearly a whole month has past by until today.....yes today I had a few spare hours to finally get this lw3 up and playing! So how did it go?......let's have a look.....
1st slingshot wire re-soldered....sorry no picture of that..
7 rusty bulb holders replaced..here's a pic of before and after...
IMG_0938.JPG
Pop bumpers are super tardy/lazy hardly ever firing.. had a look at the switches they are very corroded so cleaned them up. Here's a before switch contact pic and an after...much better!..
BEFORE....very tarnished contacts......
IMG_0935.JPG
AFTER...nice n shining......
IMG_0936.JPG
New volume control potentiometer (10k ohms) soldered and fitted into the power box. If you all recall the old one was just floating around in the cabinet......!eeeekkkk!
IMG_1020.JPG
Ok the time has come to plug it all in and see what happens 3 new balls in....here we go........?

Attachments

• IMG_0938.JPG
    IMG_0938.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 8
Turned it all on tonight. Boots and plays great! Has two faults: two lines out one top one bottom , but dmd all ok....checked the cables and found this...very disappointing!! See if you can spot the problem.....?
IMG_1028.JPG
Pin 19 snapped and missing.....thinking of ways how I can repair this without a replacement ?
The other problem is distorted sound. Intermittently...so will need to replace the caps on the sound pcb. Once I have checked the power amp I.c's are ok.. but other than that the game is fast, great fun and fully functional. All switches, spinners, lamps, flashers,targets and ramps operational. Looking good....here are some pics...
IMG_1021.JPG
IMG_1023.JPG
IMG_1024.JPG
IMG_1025.JPG
IMG_1026.JPG
IMG_1027.JPG
Off to enjoy a few games now with my son and his mates, a bottle of rosso and a crate of Budweiser! "Everybody dance now!"

Sound board removed for capacitor replacement.
IMG_1029.JPG
No parts list in the manual, need to read all the values off of the schematics...how tardy is that! Lazy ole data east!
IMG_1031.JPG
Here are the replacements from RS let you know what happens when they are replaced.....
IMG_1030.JPG
To be continued.....

Hi all of you who have been following this thread. Between me and Al we have saved another pin fit for the scrap heap! It was a labour of love as per usual but the finished product was really satisfying...the playfield looked and played like new! It has now been finished and sold to a forum member. Who is very happy indeed with it. Here's some pics. See some of you at @robotgreg Friday....ciao fer now.....keef...:thumbs:
IMG_1097.JPG
IMG_1098.JPG
IMG_1099.JPG
IMG_1102.JPG

Sound board removed for capacitor replacement.
View attachment 37594
No parts list in the manual, need to read all the values off of the schematics...how tardy is that! Lazy ole data east!
View attachment 37595
Here are the replacements from RS let you know what happens when they are replaced.....
View attachment 37596
To be continued.....
Don't suppose you made a list of the caps values did you? Been looking everywhere and stubbled across this thread.

Don't suppose you made a list of the caps values did you? Been looking everywhere and stubbled across this thread.
Sure did it's in one of the photos if you got keen eyes...
Here goes....c74,67,60,52,31 470uf 25v. C59,54,61,68,17 22uf 25v. C55,63,70 10uf25v.
C53,c69,c62, 220uf 50v. C30 1000uf 25v. Remember other components may be also at fault..e.g. The power I.c.'s mb3730 (x3). dry joints. Or the 24mhz crystal.Bad earth............etc...always check your speakers first, particularly the impedance, voice coil damage and cone condition.

Back
Top Bottom