What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Progress Slightly Leathal Weapon 3

deathrow

Registered
Just bought this as a non working project pin.

Seems complete but does nowt when plugged in...

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_IMG_20160521_204248_zpstzuwtf7u.jpg[/j

The back box had had an interesting Matt black paint job? A few scratches show that there could still be some detail underneath.

[URL=http://s1263.photobucket.com/user/deathrowr/media/IMG_20160521_204310_zpseklziaxz.jpg.html]i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_IMG_20160521_204310_zpseklziaxz.jpg

My OCD got the better of me. Out comes a razor blade and spent an hr to get this...

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_IMG_20160521_204924_zpsylnyjssq.jpg[/URL]

Very sore fingers later and we have this...

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_image_zpsonch5im2.jpeg

Buffed lots of over spray off the side of the box too.

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_image_zpskr4kimxd.jpeg

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_image_zpslttadb96.jpeg

I know I should have spent my time getting it working but I just had to know what was under that black.

What I haven't shown was an interesting picture and phone number in sharpie? That had to be removed very carefully with g10 compound.

Think the spray was to cover up graffiti. Guess it was quicker to do this on site than to remove it.

This will be a playing machine and not a full resto. I will touch up the cab etc but not to the level of some of you guys go to. I'm still learning.

Never played an LW3 either so should be a fun shop.

Could just be a fuse lol

Sadly it wasn't a fuse...

Had a look around in the head today.

Toast!
i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_image_zpsnkhrr15w.jpeg

Choc blocks.. Yummy lol

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_image_zpstjkguh7y.jpeg

No life from the psu. Looking at the connectors I think it's coming to need a fair bit of work.

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_image_zpsljsyxfdp.jpeg

Someone's been here before...

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_image_zpsivdlxujg.jpeg

Ooooooh that's nice!

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_image_zpszlbkywuk.jpeg

Found some spares from my old hook.

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_image_zpsr89kd944.jpeg

Decided to fit new pin connectors so at least I know that I can chase voltages off this board.

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_image_zps9dlpl3q1.jpeg

Flick the switch... Few bulbs light up but no game..

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_image_zpsd8zgcgv9.jpeg

Check the test points and I have no 5v. 0.35v.

Out it comes again to have a little poke around.

Now I'm no expert but I think this looks worn? Lol

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_image_zpszsdtyk30.jpeg

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_image_zpsignyhtia.jpeg

Found a few caps from old project but not the right ones for the 5v section. Off to eBay!!

Thanks for watching

Rebuilt the power supply today but the current/voltage chip was shutting down my 5v due to high current drain.

The dmd was the culprit. Game now boots etc with this disconnected.

Was told display worked in Star Wars machine. Seems was just display and not driver board tested. Bugger!

Pics soon

Last edited:
Ok so when the power board was removed I replaced:

C1, C2, C3 as was swollen, C7 caps.

Bridge rectifier had been changed by last person to have a go fixing this but they used a low quality 15amp 1501 jobbie so that was binned in favour of a 3504.

TR5 2n607

The 723 ic1 replaced and a socket fitted.

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_image_zpsu3mb50el.jpeg

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_image_zpsvr9cjnvm.jpeg

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_image_zpsqhwh7ovu.jpeg

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_image_zpsoblgafqd.jpeg

Bloody eBay!!

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_image_zpsq5hrznbj.jpeg

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_image_zps4qoa3fxk.jpeg

Last edited:
With the dmd disconnected I can now get the cpu to boot and the game to start. Sounds are even working! Happy days.

There are a few things I need to look at with voltages.

+12v

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_image_zpsaetxiwjp.jpeg

-12v

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_image_zpsik8jmdgd.jpeg

Last edited:
Waiting on a new ac specific tester so I can look at the +9v going in at pin 10 and 11.

The 36v flipper pin is giving 42v and the 18v out is 21ish.

While waiting I thought I would look at the faulty dmd...

The eBay seller said the display it's self is fine so I'm looking at the driver board...

Filthy!

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_image_zps7lydn3v9.jpeg

Cant see too much with it like this.... My kind assistant did this for me:

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_image_zpsig2kx1dj.jpeg

Looking much better.
On initial inspection I've found a broken track that looks like someone has tried to superglue it back on?

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_image_zpspw94qmpa.jpeg

More soon!

Last edited:
Well my new volt meter won't be with me until tue earliest so I will continue what repairs I can easy see for now.

That track above had lost continuity so I scraped off the glue? And the part of track and made a new track. I could have popped a fly lead on and kept much more of my sanity but I wouldn't want fly leads on a board in this position.

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_image_zpsxbo4st2h.jpeg
Found a couple of small repairs and some cold solder to fix.

Stripped the rest down as the dmd was loose in the front panel. The front panel was cracked and broken. The seller has said he posted the missing part to me Tuesday?
More filth! This won't help matters so got my assistant to work magic again...

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_image_zpsczqrmfgt.jpeg

The reason it's loose:

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_image_zpsqyqqmbxf.jpeg

Melted the posts back in place with an old soldering iron. Didn't really trust superglue here. Will melt the missing section of panel back in place if/when it arrives.

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_image_zpsjbwqrdp6.jpeg

A few more posts repaired and some solder reflows later...

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_image_zpsqctxccxr.jpeg

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_image_zpsef8drcwk.jpeg

Will test it soon..

Your Dmd looks burnt out to me.

I know what you mean however the seller says not:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Data-East-LETHAL-WEAPON-3-arcade-pinball-machine-complete-not-working-/201579353125?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&nma=true&si=XJpLusttNpRTuGJvadjWcCAXYdc%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

He said he plugged the display into another machine (Star Wars) and it was fine. I did question him about this as the driver board was shot but he said he didn't use the driver?

Seemed to know his onions from his apples when I spoke to him and collected the machine.
He was running a business repairing pinball machines etc.

Hope the display is ok as I paid good money for this machine on that basis.

Just waiting on the replacement display from the seller as the original was toast, but I will get cracking soon.

Lw3 now with us from al, log update. As follows. Work will be carried out by my lad Jack.
1. Replacement dmd was knackered( 6 vertical lines out, 2 horizontal) got mr magoo to bench test it he said it was ok....:)
2. Check out this lock down bar...BEFORE..very grim indeed...
image.jpeg

Stripped with paint remover and wet n dried.....
image.jpeg
Painted.....
image.jpeg
Legs just as shocking with all feet rusted solid in place! Bit of gt85 should shift them!.....
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Painted ready for new feet....
image.jpeg
Back box and speaker panel next...this is after I cleaned it and removed three smashed off bulbs..urrgghhh! Will paint it and replace bulbs next....
image.jpeg

The gun launch was originally chrome plated....most end up satin black. Not sure what to do may try chrome bumper paint for a change and see what it looks like??...
image.jpeg
The black paint came off easy.....next to replace the topper with an LED one..this one is smashed up beyond repair.....
image.jpeg

Back box panel whitewashed and new #906 bulbs fitted....
image.jpeg
Next jobs..sort out the bodged wiring, connector blocks, and burnt connectors...take a look at this.....
image.jpeg
Fire!....fire!...
image.jpeg
Check out this bodge....soldered straight onto the back of the power pcb...eeeekkkk!!!
image.jpeg
This was a surprise original batteries still installed. Bearing the date 03/92 wow! They sure stood up to there good housekeeping no leak guarantee !!!!
image.jpeg

Quick progress update....here's the gun done in chrome bumper paint. Looks pretty good...
image.jpeg
New 8" cab woofer fitted as the one in it was on its last legs...found the volume control just hanging free in the cab..crazy bodges on this game....
image.jpeg
Apron cleaned and new cards fitted....
image.jpeg
Look what was underneath..those coil mechs are rusty , crusty and drawing loads of current..
Need stripping and cleaning and a good polish! Flipper bats removed for cleaning....
image.jpeg
Gun barrel was looking terrible will use chrome paint again on this baby! Had a wire off the launch lamp too!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
More to come...watch this space.....

Back
Top Bottom