What's new

Found it! Popeye

I did say today/thursday....

weather.png

Even a weather warning!! ;)

Areas of heavy and locally thundery rain are expected to move north and west across the southern half of England along with Wales during the early hours of Thursday. A brief period of drier weather reaching the extreme southeast around midnight Thursday will follow northwestwards, probably reaching much of Wales and southwest England later in the morning. However, scattered locally heavy showers, with the risk of some slow-moving thundery downpours, are likely to develop quite quickly during Thursday, only slowly dying out in the evening.

The public should be aware of the risk of localised flooding.

This warning has been updated to extend it to all of Wales and the southern half of England. There remains considerable uncertainty in the rainfall details and further updates may be issued.
An active complex frontal zone is expected to move northwards into southeast England on Wednesday evening continuing across the southern half of England and Wales on Wednesday night into Thursday morning. This brings the threat of some heavy rain for a time with embedded convection within the frontal band. To the rear of the frontal zone scattered thundery showers are likely to develop bringing some further localised downpours during Thursday afternoon. Considerable local variations in rainfall are likely. However, totals of more than 40 mm are likely in places through the day with a risk of 15 mm falling in less than an hour locally.

is that the dog that tried to run under my car, then ran off into your neighbours' garden (back when you lived in stanstead)?

Give that dog a bone.

And not in that sense Mr Bradford, yes that dirty one.

A reward for the dog for ****ing on Paul.

I have just bought a Popeye last week (despite the negative reviews). It was the only Bally Superpin from that 93/94 era that I had never played. I hadn't even seen it anywhere before so thought I would take a chance. I mean, how bad can it be given its lineage? My humble opinion is that it's a far better game than the online reviews give it credit for. Looks great, has a challenging end of game goal to achieve and is significantly cheaper to buy than some others of that time. Yes, the kneedeep (upper) playfield and the skill shot wheel obscure some of the playfield but it has some really great sound bites and DMD animations. Mine came with an early software version and I could not find sweetpea even with the glass off. Once this was upgraded to the final software version it only takes a few hits to find the little rug rat. In any case I would rate this higher than Indiana Jones, Demolition Man and Roadshow and if I were ranking them it'd be as follows:

TZ, STTNG, JD, PPY, DM, RS, IJ

On a final note, the software was done by Mike Boon who also did Whitewater and, unsurprisingly, there is a Vacation Planner style screen that appears when you hit the lock whist unlit. This flashes up the path you need to complete to save Olive Oyl. Learn the game, keep an open mind and you'll enjoy it!

I have just bought a Popeye last week (despite the negative reviews). It was the only Bally Superpin from that 93/94 era that I had never played. I hadn't even seen it anywhere before so thought I would take a chance. I mean, how bad can it be given its lineage? My humble opinion is that it's a far better game than the online reviews give it credit for. Looks great, has a challenging end of game goal to achieve and is significantly cheaper to buy than some others of that time. Yes, the kneedeep (upper) playfield and the skill shot wheel obscure some of the playfield but it has some really great sound bites and DMD animations. Mine came with an early software version and I could not find sweetpea even with the glass off. Once this was upgraded to the final software version it only takes a few hits to find the little rug rat. In any case I would rate this higher than Indiana Jones, Demolition Man and Roadshow and if I were ranking them it'd be as follows:

TZ, STTNG, JD, PPY, DM, RS, IJ

On a final note, the software was done by Mike Boon who also did Whitewater and, unsurprisingly, there is a Vacation Planner style screen that appears when you hit the lock whist unlit. This flashes up the path you need to complete to save Olive Oyl. Learn the game, keep an open mind and you'll enjoy it!

Good to see you on here Rowan :) I always knew you had good taste in pinball machines :thumbs:

The Pinballinfo Popeye club has a new member !

Cheers
Ive / GrizZ

After one week of owning and playing it I still don't know what the option of points awarded on the escalator shot are about. The IPDB rule sheet doesn't mention them at all so I'm guessing it's some kind of unused ROM feature. Can anyone tell me what's going on?

After one week of owning and playing it I still don't know what the option of points awarded on the escalator shot are about. The IPDB rule sheet doesn't mention them at all so I'm guessing it's some kind of unused ROM feature. Can anyone tell me what's going on?

Do you mean the awards you select when entering the escalator ? Errr ......just awards points doesn't it ?

Yes, before the the ball goes up the escalator to the kneedeep play field you get to choose. Some options include 20 points, 500 points, 1000 points. Are these simply points added to the score or some other kind of award?

Yes, before the the ball goes up the escalator to the kneedeep play field you get to choose. Some options include 20 points, 500 points, 1000 points. Are these simply points added to the score or some other kind of award?

Just points added to yr score. Extra Ball is of course the award to try to scroll thru to ....though most times I skip past it in a rush :mad: The upper playfield EB is a proper EB, the left hand outlane EB is basically a ball saver, although its a bonus if its lit during a multiball and you collect it of course.

They just add points to your score. I always try and get the extra ball award but nearly always end up with 10 points!!

I completed Popeye for the first time yesterday. It has a nice end of game mode animation that's great to watch and involves a lot of Popeye spanking Bluto. Not very PC but great to watch! I think that it is more challenging to complete than the STTNG I have as you have far more to do to get there. This includes saving the 5 animals, completing the sea hag multiball and defeating the evil Bluto corporations. In STTNG you can start modes by selecting to start mission at the beginning of each ball. I know you get artefacts in each mission for a better value Final Frontier, but overall its not that hard to get to. After nearly 2 weeks my enthusiasm for Popeye is still high. I plan to put it in the East Anglian Pinball Show in June next year and hope to change a few more closed minds about the game.

Back
Top Bottom