What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinball Party?

we should hope Andy is 110% concentrating on Alien but its getting on a bit now to announce anything. personally ive run out of spare weekends!

I seem to recall after the one in Wales last year there was talk of one this year at a more central spot, but that was a while back and things change and I've heard nothing since then. I thoughroughly enjoyed last year and it was the first time I loaned machines for a show which I would happily do again having learned a few things, but the big complaint mainly was the remote location and wanting somewhere more central - I mean props to Andy for running it, I've enjoyed every year I've been but Daventry was much more convenient.

I personally don't think it will be on from what was said after the last one. Andy is way too busy. I've loved all of them but agree, Daventry was a good location and setup.

I did look at central locations, before Merthyr was settled on. I even spoke to the sister hotel of the Barceló in Daventry - at Hinckley Island.
Everything was going well and I was offered the room hire for free as well as discounts on the bedrooms. I then mentioned that the UKPP was previously run at Daventry and when the quote came through a couple of days later it had gone up to £3,000 per day with no discounts.

Pretty clear they didn't want us there.

Maybe when Villa get relegated the venue may be more economical. having a show you can walk home from is a nice advantage plus I can double use someone elses van to keep cost down.

Was load in/out at Aston Uni as PITA with those steps and single lift or was it ok? Bit smaller venue too, granted.. cira 2000/2001 I think it was. Anyone remember this?

Villa was 10k per day from memory, Nokia stepped up on that one courtesy of @Dr. Pinball (not to be confused with DRPinball the screens guy, Mark has had the handle Dr Pinball for a good while) but the show didn't take half that so Zero chance of it being there again without major sponsorship (again). Access was good (by the side of the steps) power was an issue year one, but ran like clockwork year two

http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/ukpinballshow2005/index.html

I think it was at Aston Students Guild before Villa though right? That's what i was wondering about.

2000 was aston students union guild . organisers Adrian and Sarah wanted to book for 2001 but price had doubled. FYI the cheapest ever venue for a UK show was POA 1988 at Loughborough Students Union as venue was FREE as Warren Maculloch and myself were undergrads so pulled some strings. although we did have to pay £150 to cover power security and cleaners on the Sunday.

as for 2000

http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/poa2000/index.html

always thought this was an ideal venue but something tells me the bottomless pockets of so called "asian weddings" mean anyone else is priced out. room rates are the cheapest at weekends for central Birmingham , me and some friends stayed there new years eve as a triple room was cheaper than a taxi home

http://www.theparagonhotel.co.uk/

Any idea why?
I have my own ideas and opinions as to what may have been the issues, based on what I have heard from others, but no hard facts.
Here is certainly not the place to speculate on the reasons.

Back
Top Bottom