What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete Pin Shed - On A Budget (ish)

All building permission sorted, still waiting on the structural engineers calculations to come back for the pads but have been told they are fit for purpose so can crack on in the meantime.

The cladding would have to be fire rated so either standard timber cladding painted or a man made product like Hardiplank which made more sense in the end.
ok Cheers man just outta interest which paint would you have used ?

I didn't look too much into it as decided to go for the Hardiplank pretty early on but Thermoguard looked like the best stuff.

However it is expensive at around £100 for 20m2 just for the base coat so would have been around £300 for me plus the time to paint it all.

I didn't look too much into it as decided to go for the Hardiplank pretty early on but Thermoguard looked like the best stuff.

However it is expensive at around £100 for 20m2 just for the base coat so would have been around £300 for me plus the time to paint it all.
Yeah its not cheap however I discovered this and it seems very good - every heard of it ???

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302112956845?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Cheers

Kev

That hardiplank stuff sounds interesting. I watched the installation video on the website

Will be very interested to hear how you get on with it.

I know that the correctly chosen wood actually lasts rather well, has been used for millenia. And I know that modern stuff lke upvc, asbestos, plywood, osb, mdf, chipboard ....... all have issues of be sort or another. But I simply loathe the swelling, warping, painting etc .... associated with extenal wood coverings. I have seen brand new show cabins that are already warping

Been a bit hectic the last couple of weeks! :-o

Finished insulating the walls and ceiling with anything I could find cheap. Managed to get a roll of the space age foil stuff for free and had a couple of packs of 50mm rockwool in the shed which just about did it.
IMG_4788.JPG
Hardiplank cladding arrived so started to fit that.
IMG_4784.JPG
Front doors arrived, finished off the cladding and added front fascia, it is starting to come together!
IMG_4814.JPG
IMG_4815.JPG
IMG_4816.JPG
Fixed all the PB to the walls and ceiling so the plasterers can do their thing tomorrow.
IMG_4818.JPG
Second fix electrics Monday next week, decoration, flooring and we are pretty much there! :)

Cheers Kev!

Cost's haven't gone up too much since last time, will update next week when I get a sec.

Waiting on the invoice for the doors and had a quote for £300 for the plasterers so all on budget at the moment! :)

So how do you fit/cut etc the hardiplank and does it last forever or need recoating etc? It looks mint and I might give this a serious shout

How does the pricing work out ?

Cheers

kev

Easy to cut with a chop saw and nail gun into 2x1" battens.

Worked out at about £1,700 for the lot so roughly £32/m2.

It shouldn't need retreating ever and has a 30 year guarantee.

It does look awesome and gives it a proper finished look compared to standard timber cladding, defo worth the extra ££.

Cool man thats good news I'm swaying towards that for the fireproofing alone and it does look smart as!!

I assume from pics you used uPVC soffit and fascia ? and what did you use on the corners of the building where the hardiplank meets ?

Cheers Kev

@Jsyjay , this really is a brilliant thread. Your shed looks superb.

We all know that the off the shelf companies charge too much, fine if you do not mind paying for the convenience, but I suspect that for many on here there is a zero sum game between pins v shed spend

That hardiplank looks great as an external layer. My investigations into cedar all turned very complicated as it is not widely stocked.

There is a good video on the hardie website showing you how to install it in case folk on here are interested ...

http://www.jameshardie.co.uk/hardieplank-cladding

Watching all of this with great interest. Absolutely love what you're doing and it's all going so fast!

Love that hardiplank stuff too. Is it ok nailed on with a nailgun? No chance of craking?

Also, I wanted to ask but may have missed it if you said this already - but what is the floor space here? Looks bigger than 15sqm?

Thanks @DRD @Retroflip @PeteB :)

The Hardiplank installation guide says not to use a nail gun as it might crack but we tired it on a test piece and it was fine so happy days.

The shed is 4.5x7.0m internally, 31.50m2 total.

The plasterers did their thing on Friday. :thumbs:

IMG_4830.JPG
IMG_4831.JPG
Let it dry out over the weekend so hopefully I can give it a lick of paint after work tonight.
Picked up some pictures from the framers on Saturday ready to go on the walls soon as they're ready. :)
IMG_4835.JPG

What have you put on the inside of the windows to frame them pls ? Is that some upvc stuff ?

Putting in window ledges, plastering reveals, having exposed external plastered corners is always a faff

That is just the window frame, we pushed it right back so that it would leave us with a nice reveal on the inside.

If you look on the outside pictures the windows are sunk in if that makes sense?

I don't see any cables for lights dangling man ???

Looking ab fab tho!!!!!

Cheers

kev

Haha, cheers Kev!

Me and the old man made a sketch for the electrician showing where the light locations are so hopefully he'll be able to locate them!

He's up there today so we'll see... :)

Haha, cheers Kev!

Me and the old man made a sketch for the electrician showing where the light locations are so hopefully he'll be able to locate them!

Cool man hope he can find the ends of the cables!!!!

Cheers

kev

Thanks @DRD @Retroflip @PeteB :)

The Hardiplank installation guide says not to use a nail gun as it might crack but we tired it on a test piece and it was fine so happy days.

The shed is 4.5x7.0m internally, 31.50m2 total.

The plasterers did their thing on Friday. :thumbs:

View attachment 38786
View attachment 38787
Let it dry out over the weekend so hopefully I can give it a lick of paint after work tonight.
Picked up some pictures from the framers on Saturday ready to go on the walls soon as they're ready. :)
View attachment 38788

You should paint the walls with diluted pva before you paint them (let it dry before painting) or you will go though loads of tins of paint before it looks like anything..

Awesome build by the way

You should paint the walls with diluted pva before you paint them (let it dry before painting) or you will go though loads of tins of paint before it looks like anything..

Awesome build by the way
Good point, well made.

Remember having to do that now after getting some work done in the house.

Haha, cheers Kev!

you decided what you are going to heat it with yet ???

Cheers

Kev

Back
Top Bottom