What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Node Board 9 Issues

I think it's highly unlikely to be a code issue, given that it used to work on this code. Sounds like a cable issue or incorrect node board configuration.
Pete, the new Node Board didn’t work from the outset. It initially said node board updated and then not recognised. The Stern info states new node boards don’t work on pre v1.07 software due to firmware updates. Hence I hoped the update would resolve. Back in touch with Patrick from Stern this evening so wil see what else he can suggest (other than try in another machine).

I would try in another machine if you have one or as a node 9 in guardians. If it works as a node 9 board, the most likely culprit is the cat cable black wire, have you tried a new different cable or the other connector socket on the board, these are universal. There standard cat cables you can buy on Amazon.

I would try in another machine if you have one or as a node 9 in guardians. If it works as a node 9 board, the most likely culprit is the cat cable black wire, have you tried a new different cable or the other connector socket on the board, these are universal. There standard cat cables you can buy on Amazon.
Already tried all the different connections and a direct cable from the CPU board to Node 8 board with the same result. I also proved the RJ45 cable used to test between other working nodes. Afraid I don’t have another machine now to try in. SW left last year.

Already tried all the different connections and a direct cable from the CPU board to Node 8 board with the same result. I also proved the RJ45 cable used to test between other working nodes. Afraid I don’t have another machine now to try in. SW left last year.
Have you tried it as a node 9? It would then eliminate the board totally, I suspect it's faulty

It doesn't operate as the node 9 board?
No, it doesn't work. Someone on pinside has said if I've updated the firmware on the new node board on the old code it won't work even now ive updated to the current version. Can these boards be reset?

No, it doesn't work. Someone on pinside has said if I've updated the firmware on the new node board on the old code it won't work even now ive updated to the current version. Can these boards be reset?
No idea, possibly with the right equipment, it sounds like either the board is faulty or the firmware update flash went wrong

12.3 NODE BOARD TEST
12.4 NODE BUS TEST
During the Node Board Test, the expected and discovered node addresses are displayed. The
node address is the large digit inside the box and the number below the box is the number of the
firmware revision on the node board. The dots in the upper right hand corner of the box indicate
the DIP switch setting for each Node. Note: Node 0, the CPU, and Node 1, the Cabinet Node
board, do not have DIP switch settings because there can only be one CPU and one cabinet node
board in a game. The arrow on the display during Node Board Test indicates that there are more
node addresses off screen to the left or right. A blinking arrow during Node Board Test indicates
a problem with an off screen node address. A blinking box around the node address indicates a
problem with that particular node board.
What to check for when the box around the node address is flashing during Node Test:
1. Symptom: Node address not found or unexpected node address found.
Check the following - Correct node address (DIP switch settings), the 48V power source
and the RJ45 node bus cable going to the node board.
2. Symptom: Overcurrent condition has been detected and the overcurrent protection
circuit disabled the device (coil or G/I lamp circuit)
Check the following - the information on the display during Node Test will direct you to
the faulty coil or G/I lamp circuit. Look for any shorts in the circuit.
During the Node Bus Test the CPU confirms with which node addresses it’s communicating with.
The message “No Errors” will be displayed under the node address box if all communications
between the CPU and node boards are good. If the CPU detects a problem communicating with
a node board you will see one of three 3 error messages appear under the node address box (Not
Responding, Unexpected Node Address or Node Collision).
Node bus errors and what to check:
1. Symptom / Not Responding: The CPU cannot communicate with an expected node.
Check the following - Node address (DIP switch settings on the node board), the 48V power
source, and the RJ45 Node Bus cable going to the Node board.
2. Symptom / Unexpected Node Address: The CPU detects an unknown node address.
Check the node address (DIP switch settings on the node board).
3. Symptom / Node Collision: Two or more node boards have the same node address.
Check the node address (DIP switch settings on the node board)

Actually pretty useful haven't read it properly but explains the "Overcurrent detected" error message which turns out to be a faulty lamp or coil.

Also the node board power indicators mean 5.2:

Red LED – 48V present Yellow Boot LED – System is running – constant flicker Green LED – 6V is present

Have you gone into the actual system menu on the machine and looked at what it might be saying, its limited but the instructions are helpful.

Page 48 and 49

Thanks for the info, very interesting. Still waiting to hear back from Stern but strongly suspect the new board has been updated with the wrong firmware via the old code and now U/S unless there is some way to reset?
Yep, surprised you cant re flash it, have you tried with the updated software on a new SD card following the instructions in the link.

Yep, surprised you cant re flash it, have you tried with the updated software on a new SD card following the instructions in the link.
Yes, I’ve tried with the current software which I updated on Sunday. Stern have come back to say the board must be defective as it should have updated on any version. I’ve asked the question on if it can be checked/reset in the UK, but assume it’s another new card. I do miss the old technology 🥺, but love playing GOTG.

Yes, I’ve tried with the current software which I updated on Sunday. Stern have come back to say the board must be defective as it should have updated on any version. I’ve asked the question on if it can be checked/reset in the UK, but assume it’s another new card. I do miss the old technology 🥺, but love playing GOTG.
Try a new SD card, download 1.13 from here

I suspect its a problem with the board, are the lights on, off on the board?

Try a new SD card, download 1.13 from here

I suspect its a problem with the board, are the lights on, off on the board?
Hi yes I believe the problem is the board. As I think I mentioned earlier red 48v & green 6v are on, but the yellow light is flashing slowly rather than quickly which indicates a common fault. Will try a new card but not sure what that will do, but have nothing to loose. Looks line PH now have boards in stock now but don't want to fork out an additional £200 without trying out possible remedies first.

Hi yes I believe the problem is the board. As I think I mentioned earlier red 48v & green 6v are on, but the yellow light is flashing slowly rather than quickly which indicates a common fault. Will try a new card but not sure what that will do, but have nothing to loose. Looks line PH now have boards in stock now but don't want to fork out an additional £200 without trying out possible remedies first.
yeh, i doubt it would do anything, but best to try, you never know, i suspect the board faulity, you know any one with a Spike 2 game, you could try the board in there machine. It won't break anything.

Have you asked stern if they'll exchange it for you? Did they ask where you got it from?
I've asked if they have anywhere in the UK that could prove/test. Also explained its from Pinballlife (and purchase route), but basically they have said "yes your board is defective ", but as they have a no return policy if self installed no holding out much hope. They also confirmed the board should have worked with the old code as its an original "blue" node board. Problem is Stern are sending only one reply a day so waiting for around 4pm to see what the response is.

I've asked if they have anywhere in the UK that could prove/test. Also explained its from Pinballlife (and purchase route), but basically they have said "yes your board is defective ", but as they have a no return policy if self installed no holding out much hope. They also confirmed the board should have worked with the old code as its an original "blue" node board. Problem is Stern are sending only one reply a day so waiting for around 4pm to see what the response is.
What absolute ### so basically an engineer has to come out to fit 5 screws and plug in a cat 5 cable and a couple of connectors that can't be mixed up as there pined, which has absolutely no relevance to the fault. To be honest though I'm not surprised that's the response

I think in the US Stern only give a 3 month warranty so not surprised they wouldnt warranty it if fitted by the owner.

Did you buy it from Pinball Life directly, and did you use a credit card? Might be a route to get it replaced or refunded if Pinball Life wont do anything, and I would also contact them if bought directly instead of trying to get Stern to warranty it, might be a bit different when buying stuff from the US but in the UK your sales contract is with the seller not the manufacturer and you are not obliged to have to deal directly with the manufacturer for warranty stuff.

I think in the US Stern only give a 3 month warranty so not surprised they wouldnt warranty it if fitted by the owner.

Did you buy it from Pinball Life directly, and did you use a credit card? Might be a route to get it replaced or refunded if Pinball Life wont do anything, and I would also contact them if bought directly instead of trying to get Stern to warranty it, might be a bit different when buying stuff from the US but in the UK your sales contract is with the seller not the manufacturer and you are not obliged to have to deal directly with the manufacturer for warranty stuff.
Pinball Life make it clear that there is no warranty on Node boards. To be fair, that makes sense as anyone could mess one up easily

No, didn’t buy it directly. A member on here brought a few from Pinball Life and sold them on over here. Just unlucky I guess as believe he had no issues with the others he had. They were sealed, and did explain to Stern the purchase route. Stern did indicate they had a problem with a small batch that would wipe the settings after the distributor tested them, but again how do you prove this?? Not heard anything from Stern in a couple of days so time to decide whether to get Jim to fix the old board, or bite the bullet and get another new one.

No, didn’t buy it directly. A member on here brought a few from Pinball Life and sold them on over here. Just unlucky I guess as believe he had no issues with the others he had. They were sealed, and did explain to Stern the purchase route. Stern did indicate they had a problem with a small batch that would wipe the settings after the distributor tested them, but again how do you prove this?? Not heard anything from Stern in a couple of days so time to decide whether to get Jim to fix the old board, or bite the bullet and get another new one.
Buy a new one, there £170 from retro arcade I think to fix is £120 but I might be wrong, my understanding is not all problems on the boards are fixable due to the machine micro soldering, again I'm not an expert but when both my nodes went I was quoted £100 each + shipping so £120, 10 each way for each board. I paid £160 and £180, one form the same place you bought 😄 From asking and looking around there not always fixable. It's not a huge difference in price, now if the boards where £250 + then fix 100%.

You could always sell the faulty node board, people on here will buy them. not sure about the new one, that sounds like a flashing chip issue, there some skillful people on here who probably could fix it

Thanks for all the advice. A new Node-board is on the way (thanks to @Silverpaolo) and emailed Jim during the week to say that will get the old board fixed in a few months when funds are a bit more fluid. Just moved so this has come at the wrong time.
Hopefully will be back up and running next week, and will post an update.
Jim has indicated the old board is fixable as only the red light is on. No apparent physical damage to the board or components though (as if something has blown).
Cheers

Thanks for all the advice. A new Node-board is on the way (thanks to @Silverpaolo) and emailed Jim during the week to say that will get the old board fixed in a few months when funds are a bit more fluid. Just moved so this has come at the wrong time.
Hopefully will be back up and running next week, and will post an update.
Jim has indicated the old board is fixable as only the red light is on. No apparent physical damage to the board or components though (as if something has blown).
Cheers
Cool, my preference is repairing, depends on the cost difference 🤭

Probably good to have a spare, at least you get the latest software out of this experience, Cleveland / Jim did have an updated one.

I

Back
Top Bottom