What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Heighway Owner

Well technically speaking, the design IP for everything done under Andrew that wasn't paid for belongs to me. Apart from my own side projects that isn't worth much though, so as mad and unfeasible as it may sound to a lot of you, it would be in my own best interests if the game could be taken back for technical refinement, properly polished and quality tested, and relaunched again later. Of course, 'mine' isn't going to be same as 'anybody else's'.

Well technically speaking, the design IP for everything done under Andrew that wasn't paid for belongs to me. Apart from my own side projects that isn't worth much though, so as mad and unfeasible as it may sound to a lot of you, it would be in my own best interests if the game could be taken back for technical refinement, properly polished and quality tested, and relaunched again later. Of course, 'mine' isn't going to be same as 'anybody else's'.
Even if a full retheme is required, that layout is worth saving, honestly. I really enjoyed my brief time playing it.

Yes, its worth giving him publicity so that those who've never heard of him and are tempted to back future projects are able to google and find out what they're getting int

Unfortunately the huge amount written about Heighway on here and on Pinside seems invisible to the rest of the world. If you Google Andrew Heighway you don't see it. The first thing you see is that hydrofoil article banging on about Heighway's successful pinball company.

Thats because of the way search engines prioritise web links, a newspaper or known media has much more google points than a forum...

I was chatting to a friend of mine about this situation (was talking about the fact there was new pinball makers of varied success); he seems to think Heighway may have a case to answer under modern slavery legislation...

So who will own the intellectual property of the Alien pin now ?

Well Fox owns Alien IP. In terms of the "unbranded" design of the game and the machine its probably irrelevant; nobody is going to pursue given the company is bankrupt. Subject to how the company is wound up it could be nobody.

Cheers,
Neil.

I was chatting to a friend of mine about this situation (was talking about the fact there was new pinball makers of varied success); he seems to think Heighway may have a case to answer under modern slavery legislation...

What would the practical upshot of that be, for both parties concerned...

https://www.pinballnews.com/site/2018/05/06/andrew-heighway-interview/

Felt this was unnecessary:
Many people criticise the UK pinball community and it is true – there is a lot of toxicity in the community. I gave a lot to the UK pinball community over the last 15 years and I personally feel betrayed by many of them. With some notable exceptions, I never felt there was any real support from the UK community for what our company was trying to do. On the flip side, I loved dealing with everyone at the USA shows. There are a lot of knowledgeable pinball fans in the States and it was a pleasure to meet so many enthusiastic pinball folk. I made a lot of good friends in the USA and I thank them all for their support over the last year – and the last few weeks, in particular.
And this one won’t make any friends either:
Defamatory and libellous/slanderous comments have been made about me by the likes of Owen Clipsham, Phil Palmer, Ewan Meadows, Chris Kooleris and a number of other people. Many of these people have their own agendas and well-informed people will know this.

Last edited:
What did Andy expect the UK community to do differently? Was he disappointed that more us us didn’t buy the games? Well maybe that would have been different if they had actually been built and reliable.

Yep so much toxicity in the UK Pinball community - I mean it's a wonder that events like the Slam, NLP, Swavesey, NERG, 8 Bit Flip ever happened at all with so much toxicity. And all those toxic donations to charity too.

In fact I'm surprised with all this toxicity that NONE of THOSE events crashed and burned.

Clearly I misinterpreted all the work, dedication and generosity of the community that enabled those events to happen. Toxic.... all toxic.

Jesus

Way to go Mr. H

Sent from my toxic tank using Tapatalk

The more I think about it the more that toxicity comment annoys me

All up and down the country people are willing to open up their houses to let people play their games for free

This forum is full of other people who give good technical advice for free

I’ve made some good friends from events, meets and the forum. The vast majority of people in the scene are excellent

Over the last ten years I can only think of one person connected to the scene that I’ve met who I’ve genuinely disliked.

I know we’re a niche community but it’s far from toxic. Compare the occasional spats we get on here to the rants on pinside

Maybe lending Andy 15 or so machines for his pinball olympics in 2012 so he could launch his company or Thomas giving him free use of the pipeline to hold it in central London is failing to support uk companies.

Guess it’s easier to blame other people when things go wrong than look at some home truths

All up and down the country people are willing to open up their houses to let people play their games for free

I’ve made some good friends from events, meets and the forum. The vast majority of people in the scene are excellent

Over the last ten years I can only think of one person connected to the scene that I’ve met who I’ve genuinely disliked.

I know we’re a niche community but it’s far from toxic. Compare the occasional spats we get on here to the rants on pinside

Maybe lending Andy 15 or so machines for his pinball olympics in 2012 so he could launch his company or Thomas giving him free use of the pipeline to hold it in central London is failing to support uk companies.

Guess it’s easier to blame other people when things go wrong than look at some home truths

Couldn't agree more he's just made himself look even more of a kununt

Yep. You all get on my t*ts. Worst hobby community I’ve ever known.

You lot are so toxic, I’m busting my balls to try and bring you all together to celebrate this terrible hobby.

I know it’s a bit of a scoop getting an interview with him but please look beyond that and talk to the people he’s taken advantage of. @Neil McRae , help me get ex “employees” together at UKPinfest and we can give them the limelight they deserve. It’s their voices we need to hear.

Well said John and I'm sorry you don't like me :p

Taking a 40/45k wage *plus* benefits (that's my reading of his confusing reply at least) is.... quite impressive given all the complaints (by Andy!) that the company was underfunded in most departments.

That he then made personal loans from his salary back to the company to pay those other people, and then say 'oh and the company owes me money too, I made a massive loss'... is also quite amazing mental gymnastics.

Yep. You all get on my t*ts. Worst hobby community I’ve ever known.

You lot are so toxic, I’m busting my balls to try and bring you all together to celebrate this terrible hobby.

I know it’s a bit of a scoop getting an interview with him but please look beyond that and talk to the people he’s taken advantage of. @Neil McRae , help me get ex “employees” together at UKPinfest and we can give them the limelight they deserve. It’s their voices we need to hear.

yup happy to support.

I chuckle at the whole article - the only thing thats right on it is the date at the top.

Taking a 40/45k wage *plus* benefits (that's my reading of his confusing reply at least) is.... quite impressive given all the complaints (by Andy!) that the company was underfunded in most departments.

That he then made personal loans from his salary back to the company to pay those other people, and then say 'oh and the company owes me money too, I made a massive loss'... is also quite amazing mental gymnastics.

Directors loan account. Makes for some creative accounting.

Back
Top Bottom