What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loving the System 11s tonight

Have
Black Knight 2000
Rivet Boat Gambler
Space Station

Had a Gameshow in for repair recently owned by Mr Vince. So may be available at some stage.

Sarge,

I notice that your/your brothers' Earthshaker has the red plastic base of the 'Zone 5' eject lit. I don't think that was ever a factory fitment, but I added a lamp for that base to the one I owned, linked (AIR) to the Zone 5 arrow.

Re. Millionaire; this game gets a lot of criticism, but punters must've liked it at the time. The ones at work had all kinds of patch repairs to broken plastics.

Sarge,

I notice that your/your brothers' Earthshaker has the red plastic base of the 'Zone 5' eject lit. I don't think that was ever a factory fitment, but I added a lamp for that base to the one I owned, linked (AIR) to the Zone 5 arrow.

Re. Millionaire; this game gets a lot of criticism, but punters must've liked it at the time. The ones at work had all kinds of patch repairs to broken plastics.
Well spotted. I added a lamp there years ago

Millionaire was rushed out as F14 wasn't finished. Quite like the music but art is cack. I love alpha numeric games but newbies seem obsessed with dot matrix. Transporter has eluded me so far. Best IMHO is EATPM worst is Bugs Bunny

I love alpha numeric games but newbies seem obsessed with dot matrix.
Not going to lie, it's true. DMDs are associated with more complex gameplay, alphanumerics with EM-style gameplay. A lot of non-pinballers are surprised when they see how good the late alpha-numeric games got.

I can say that because I was firmly one of them until I hammered Pinball Arcade properly.

Not going to lie, it's true. DMDs are associated with more complex gameplay, alphanumerics with EM-style gameplay. A lot of non-pinballers are surprised when they see how good the late alpha-numeric games got.

I can say that because I was firmly one of them until I hammered Pinball Arcade properly.

Not sure what you can really get from Pinball Arcade as an experience (and that's coming from a video games developer). For me that Mousin' Around at NLP was probably one of the best pinball experiences I've ever had just purely on the way it nudged. It was sublime. Zen like.

I don't know anything about System 11, so just looking at the games listed on IPDB:

System 11
  • 1986-04 Grand Lizard
  • 1986-01 High Speed
  • 1986-07 Road Kings
  • 1990-06 Sudden Withdrawal

System 11A
  • 1987-03 F-14 Tomcat
  • 1987-08 Fire!
  • 1987-10 Fire! Champagne Edition
  • 1987-01 Millionaire
  • 1986-10 PIN·BOT

System 11B
  • 1989-11 Bad Cats
  • 1988-05 Banzai Run
  • 1987-10 Big Guns
  • 1989-04 Black Knight 2000
  • 1988-02 Cyclone
  • 1989-02 Earthshaker
  • 1989-10 Elvira and the Party Monsters
  • 1988 Gold Mine
  • 1988-12 Jokerz!
  • 1989-12 Mousin' Around!
  • 1989-08 Police Force
  • 1987-12 Space Station
  • 1988-06 Swords of Fury
  • 1988-08 Taxi
  • 1989-04 Transporter the Rescue
  • 1990-01 Whirlwind

System 11C
  • 1991-01 Bugs Bunny's Birthday Ball
  • 1990-09 Diner
  • 1990-11 Dr. Dude And His Excellent Ray
  • 1990-06 Pool Sharks
  • 1990-09 Radical!
  • 1990-11 Riverboat Gambler
  • 1990-06 Rollergames
  • 1990-04 The Bally Game Show

What are the differences between the 11, and A, B and C versions? Are the MPUs backwards compatible, etc? Some damn good games in there. Think I've played Grand Lizard, Road Kings, F-14, Fire!, Banzia Run, BK2K, Cyclone, Earshaker, EATPM, Mousin', Police Force, Space Station, SoF, Taxi, Whirlwind, Diner, Dr. Dude, Radical! and Rollergames. Phew!

I think you can mod some of the later boards to work in earlier games but not many and I think it's pretty involved. I've never done it so may be talking sh*t but sure I read it somewhere :)

You can find something to like in pretty much every Sys 11 game and aside from the stuff that never saw the light of day like Sudden Withdrawal or Gold Mine there's only a few that are truly garbage IMHO like Big Guns, Jokerz, Bugs Bunny and Pool Sharks :D

I have F14 which is an ace game, my other favourites are Rollergames, High Speed, whirlwind and Taxi.

Sys11's are just awesome, it feels like proper Pinball to me. Had a few over the years.

High Speed
F14 Tomcat x3
Millionaire
Bad Cats
Radical!
Mousin' Around
Black Knight 2000 x2
Diner
Dr Dude

Also had Truck Stop, BOP x5 and Funhouse which feel the same.

Loving the Sys11 love

Only had a Radical plus a Jokerz for a while I got for someone else. Same as the Road Kings currently here. Lucky that @lukewells nearby has a few of these and play those often.

'Nearly' bought a Millionaire a few months ago but a fix to the roulette wheel PCB switch's put me off, supposed to be a tricky job. It's still for sale if any of you System 11 fan boys are interested.

Think the only one I want is an Earthshaker, like a few others I see....

Woah there cowboy..... Big Guns and Jokerz are OK, BG more than OK.

But yeah Bugs and Sharks are Sys 11 bottom feeding ****ters [emoji38]
Jokerz is ok. ''Twas the first game I ever bought (£125). Not deep but great sound and the 'Double Your Score' shots are always fun.

What are the differences between the 11, and A, B and C versions? Are the MPUs backwards compatible, etc?

Hi, Peter,

Some details, as far as I can recall;

• original system 11 has a small 7-segment display chip (as on Level 7 and 9 boards) for diagnostic indication. The sort of thing seen on low-tech fruit machines. An audio amplifier is provided, since the early games' audio boards didn't have one
  • 11A changed the diagnostic to the three l.e.d's, and omitted a set of components meant to interface with opto switches, which were on the original board, but not used. No audio amplifier
  • 11B I'm not sure about, but the audio amp may must have returned
  • 11C has no audio components whatsoever - the top left corner is simply unused traces and filled-in pads

So 11C is really only for 11C games (unless a lack of some sound can be tolerated). I proved a suspicion that works' brand new Diner had a faulty Cpu board by exchange with the Black Knight 2000 in the workshop at the time. And one of our Jokerz and our only Grand Lizard had their boards swapped over, so 11 and 11B are compatible.

With Pin-Bot being the first 11A game, Williams apparently used up stock of the original pcb by fitting them with diagnostic l.e.d.'s instead of the display. They're not in a neat line as with 11A, and resistors connect them to pads for the display. A paper label indicates which l.e.d. is which, without this you'd think it was some unofficial bodge.

Last edited:
I always see BOP and FH as honorary system 11 as the display tech is the same. whereas system 9 I don't as only have numeric displays although board very similar

Back
Top Bottom