What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

London EAG

This by far the best new Pin announcement from last year and the best recent Pin I have seen by a long shot, nothing comes close. The fact that this was even produced is incredible really, we might never see a pin like it ever again.
Didn’t they say in the public releases for PF, they plan to do more pin releases after PF? Sure I remember some comment being made.

Didn’t they say in the public releases for PF, they plan to do more pin releases after PF? Sure I remember some comment being made.
Hopefully that's true and they do a a follow up retro theme after PF. Didn't sound like Play Mechanix had anything planned after PF, when Josh was speaking on the Super Awesome Pinball Podcast, though he did state they are all for working with any pinball manufacturer.

I chatted to you Vee but I don’t think you knew who I was.
Were you the tall youngish man wearing the purple Pinfest t-shirt with 'Phil Murphy IT support' on your name badge? We had a chat about my Schrodinger's pinball tendencies. Not sure whether that's why, the next time I saw you, you were stood chatting on the other side of the aisle from PF :) Trying to limit the number of observers! :D

My personal ratings were:

Pulp Fiction
Elton John
Labyrinth
Galactic Tank Force
Jaws

I think any of my top four could be a great pin for the right person. The quality of pins was very high. Labyrinth didn't suit me personally but would be great for the casual crowd, and I don't think I gave GTF enough of a chance due to my loathing of Houdini and Oktoberfest - it had a big mountain to climb, unfortunately.

I personally think, on current code, at least, Jaws was underwhelming. Unless you've already played all the other A-list Spike 2 Sterns and are committed to buying a Stern, there are better NIB options at both the Pro and Prem price points.

My reviews

Labyrinth
Really liked this, I didn't play it enough to know how different the playfield was between modes in regards to the shots I needed to go for. Probably needed to play for a good hour without any background noise to appreciate it. The quality of the table was outstanding, I also liked how the table locked the ball in different ways.

Would I like to own one eventually. Maybe!
Would I like to borrow one eventually. Absolutely!

Venom
Played the Pro, it does play really fast and has nice geometry and shots.. However I can't believe how different it is compared to the P/LE. It's really concerning how Stern are cheapening their Pro offerings. The fact it doesn't even meet their tagline for the game is shocking.

Not rating it as I have one and I really enjoy it, but can't recommend a Pro unless it's just passing through. I would imagine operators will buy these though as it's Marvel. My advice would be find a P/LE and try that.

Galactic Tank Force
Pleasantly surprised by this, but I was expecting to like it! Video modes seemed to have a delay before you got the ball back. I'm not sure it wasn't a software issue.

Elton John
I didn't get to play this, only watch people playing it, but it was very pretty.

Would I like to own one eventually. No.
Would I like to borrow one eventually. Maybe!

Pulp Fiction
This was pretty cool,. however I couldn't appreciate it as it suffered like every other game, you couldn't hear it very well.

I think people will like how different this is, maybe there will be issues with longevity down the line with the code, we'll have to wait and see.

Would I like to own one eventually. Maybe! Especially just to sit there and look CaF.

Jaws
Well I hate to say it but Stern continue to disappoint with the BoM in the Pro. It was barren. I played the Premium and welcome the additional playfield content but the game wasn't great. I acknowledge the code will be barebones right now but the game is an easy pass. Honestly premium to premium Venom is a better and more fun game, with more going on. To me it feels like this was a table Elwin designed before JP and GZ. I had games where I just focused on that wave ramp and could not do a clean enough shot to get it to go up. The little flipper that could trap the ball was cool until you realise all you hit with it is 3 targets and a lane.

This is his poorest game.

Would I like to own one eventually. No
Would I like to borrow one eventually. Yes I think I would, if only to confirm my initial thoughts about it.

Didn't get to play Scooby Doo or Godfather but I could tell just by looking at them that if I were to judge a book by it's cover Godfather looked interesting and Scooby Doo would probably be a pass. Look forward to eventually playing them and seeing what I then think of them.

My reviews

Labyrinth
Really liked this, I didn't play it enough to know how different the playfield was between modes in regards to the shots I needed to go for. Probably needed to play for a good hour without any background noise to appreciate it. The quality of the table was outstanding, I also liked how the table locked the ball in different ways.

Venom
Played the Pro, it does play really fast and has nice geometry and shots.. However I can't believe how different it is compared to the P/LE. It's really concerning how Stern are cheapening their Pro offerings. The fact it doesn't even meet their tagline for the game is shocking.

Not rating it as I have one and I really enjoy it, but can't recommend a Pro unless it's just passing through. I would imagine operators will buy these though as it's Marvel. My advice would be find a P/LE and try that.

Galactic Tank Force
Pleasantly surprised by this, but I was expecting to like it! Video modes seemed to have a delay before you got the ball back. I'm not sure it wasn't a software issue.

Elton John
I didn't get to play this, only watch people playing it, but it was very pretty.

Would I like to own one eventually. No.
Would I like to borrow one eventually. Maybe!

Pulp Fiction
This was pretty cool,. however I couldn't appreciate it as it suffered like every other game, you couldn't hear it very well.

I think people will like how different this is, maybe there will be issues with longevity down the line with the code, we'll have to wait and see.

Would I like to own one eventually. Maybe! Especially just to sit there and look CaF.

Jaws
Well I hate to say it but Stern continue to disappoint with the BoM in the Pro. It was barren. I played the Premium and welcome the additional playfield content but the game wasn't great. I acknowledge the code will be barebones right now but the game is an easy pass. Honestly premium to premium Venom is a better and more fun game, with more going on. To me it feels like this was a table Elwin designed before JP and GZ. I had games where I just focused on that wave ramp and could not do a clean enough shot to get it to go up. The little flipper that could trap the ball was cool until you realise all you hit with it is 3 targets and a lane.

This is his poorest game.

Would I like to own one eventually. No
Would I like to borrow one eventually. Yes I think I would, if only to confirm my initial thoughts about it.

Didn't get to play Scooby Doo or Godfather but I could tell just by looking at them that if I were to judge a book by it's cover Godfather looked interesting and Scooby Doo would probably be a pass. Look forward to eventually playing them and seeing what I then think of them.
Wow, such an interesting review, thanks :)

Love reading peoples reviews

If your looking for woah factor and just want something to have fun on... Elton is your game

However if your a player and want value for money Jaws is the only way forward if your looking for a new machine...

I know Jaws might lack awesome mechs like Godzilla and Jurassic but it has one thing all those has... great layout and shots and also massive potential for code...

Pulp Fiction, Elton John, Galactic Tank Force and Labyrinth, if your a half decent player you should within a month or so complete those games to the intended wizard modes if coded.

However I bet 99.9999% of anyone if this forum will never get to Jaws Super Wizard mode... Just like When Dinosaurs Ruled the World on JP2 or Kind of the Monsters and Monster Island Madness on Godzilla its a game in a lifetime

I've played Godzilla and JP2 to death and only ever came close to those modes a handful of times and for me thats good value for money as I know I'll never stop playing until I get there and if it takes 10 years for that game of a lifetime so be it :)

Pulp Fiction, Elton John, Galactic Tank Force and Labyrinth, if your a half decent player you should within a month or so complete those games to the intended wizard modes if coded.
It was lovely to see you at EAG 🥰 I saw your name tag, but - unfortunately - we never got the chance to chat :)

I'm going to be a little bit of a pedant, so I'll apologise in advance. It's about what a 'half-decent' player is... for context.

So, I'll say what I said to @Kelsbells at EAG.

Stern Insider Connected collect some really interesting stats now, e.g. what percentage of your score comes from ball 1, 2 and 3, respectively. It also keeps a record of how many achievements you've unlocked versus other players, and how your high score ranks as a percentile on each machine. The interesting aspect of this is that I've always thought, from reading the forums and being in PBR league, that I'm a terrible player. However, according to my Stern Insider Connected stats, I'm actually at the 85-90th centile for my high scores on my home Godzilla/JP2 Prem, and above average (65th percentile) for pins I've played on location.

This is, obviously, for players who bother using Insider Connected - I think you have to be relatively serious about pinball to do that.

I'm happy to quibble the 85-90% stat because, obviously, people who have pins at home will have more chances to get high scores than players on location, but even my location scores are above average. And my experience at Pinfest last year backs this up. I got into a bunch of two-player games with strangers and, to my surprise, I beat 30% in a close match, and bored about 20% with my long(er) ball times. Obviously, about 20% of people I queued behind for hours with my mouth open, and another 30% were clearly better than me...

In short, compared to the people at London EAG who were playing around me (and the PBR regulars), I am the suckiest player imaginable. But, in the world in general, I'm actually 'half decent'. That said, I haven't got anywhere near the wizard modes on JP2 or GZ at home, and I doubt I would be completing PF, EJ or GTF anytime soon. Labyrinth, you may have a point, it's pretty easy, and I wouldn't buy a Cactus Canyon remake for the same reason.

I'm not trying to be a contrarian ass here, but just trying to throw some context on the varying difficulties of these machines at home, and on location :) People who hang out regularly with great players may not know about general standards of play, Stern Insider stats are a bit geeky, and I'm over-competitive so notice these things :D

Reservoir Dogs would have been my pick over PF, love PF but RD is my no.1 Tarantino movie and it feels a Heist set up would be perfect for a pin.
If they make RD its gonna have some of the best characters and call outs in pin history....lol

Mr. Pink: You kill anybody?
Mr. White: A few cops.
Mr. Pink: No real people?
Mr. White: Just cops.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nice Guy Eddie : Daddy, did you see that?
Joe : What?
Nice Guy Eddie : Guy got me on the ground, he tried to fcuk me.
Mr. Blonde : You wish.

Love reading peoples reviews

If your looking for woah factor and just want something to have fun on... Elton is your game

However if your a player and want value for money Jaws is the only way forward if your looking for a new machine...

I know Jaws might lack awesome mechs like Godzilla and Jurassic but it has one thing all those has... great layout and shots and also massive potential for code...

However I bet 99.9999% of anyone if this forum will never get to Jaws Super Wizard mode... Just like When Dinosaurs Ruled the World on JP2 or Kind of the Monsters and Monster Island Madness on Godzilla its a game in a lifetime

I've played Godzilla and JP2 to death and only ever came close to those modes a handful of times and for me thats good value for money as I know I'll never stop playing until I get there and if it takes 10 years for that game of a lifetime so be it :)
Really interesting reviews, especially everyone saying Labyrinth is too easy.

I haven't played it, but on US streams it looked like an ass kicker with owners complaining it's too hard.

Collect 13 orbs to get to wizard mode.

Best Bowen Kerins got was 3 or 4 orbs?

Was it easy to collect orbs on the game at EAG?

Really wanted to play this game, so hope it makes it to an arcade.

Really interesting reviews, especially everyone saying Labyrinth is too easy.

I haven't played it, but on US streams it looked like an ass kicker with owners complaining it's too hard.

Collect 13 orbs to get to wizard mode.

Best Bowen Kerins got was 3 or 4 orbs?

Was it easy to collect orbs on the game at EAG?

Really wanted to play this game, so hope it makes it to an arcade.

I think people forget there's an art to setting up a game. Maybe it was set up too easy, whether that's too steep or too shallow (depends on the game).

I imagine you can make it a lot harder.

I think people forget there's an art to setting up a game. Maybe it was set up too easy, whether that's too steep or too shallow (depends on the game).

I imagine you can make it a lot harder.
@MadMonzer and I had a chat about that. The US feedback I saw is that it’s hard to complete modes and, apparently, you need to finish modes to collect orbs and you need to collect 13 (I think) orbs to reach the wizard mode.

Thing is, how easy it is to reach the final wizard mode isn’t actually necessarily a measure of the difficulty of the game. If you added a super-wizard mode to the end of Stern’s Godzilla, it wouldn’t make the game harder - just longer. Likewise, no one thinks Lord of the Rings is super hard because Valinor exists. Difficulty is about shots, as well as code.

I found that I didn’t need to make a big effort on ball saves or dialling in the shots on Labyrinth, and - for me - that means the game lacks tension, and getting to the wizard mode would be a slog. I can definitely see it has an audience though who are super-excited about starting any modes or multiballs, as it gives a great casual/family experience. Presumably, you could also set it up hard, but I suspect - given what I’ve read about Barrels of Fun’s marketing strategy for this title - it would go against the designer’s intention.

Back
Top Bottom