What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

London EAG

With that out of the way, let us move to Galactic Tank Force.

View attachment 242230
I’ll admit to coming in with REALLY low expectations of this one. I love the theme, concept and idea, but I’d read about the shoddy 3D printed plastics. Also, I disliked both of American Pinball’s titles (Houdini and Oktoberfest) I‘ve played in the past.

I’ve got to admit to being pleasantly surprised by Galactic Tank Force. It’s the best of the American Pinball titles I’ve played so far (sadly, I’ve not had the chance to play Hot Wheels). The machine looks good with great lighting, an attractive backglass, cabinet and solid retro-feel artwork on the playfield.

View attachment 242232

View attachment 242234

I didn’t notice the models looking horrible on my play, and I quite liked the illuminated plunger that looked slightly like a gun turret.

View attachment 242231

The dubstep doesn’t seem out of place as a sound track either.

View attachment 242236

Play-wise, it’s not quite right, but in a subtle way. It has the feel of a pin where, if it was released in a year without X-thousand other new pins, it would have been a contender. Sadly, it was, and it isn’t.

I played it straight after Labyrinth and the problems, in comparison, were obvious (to me, anyway). First, the tank is - as others have said - not a sane shot to make. It is really close to the flippers. I tried pressing the extra button on the right-hand side of the cab to see if I could activate the defence save bumper (Atomic Shield) between the flippers, but that only seems to activate in response to something else (it popped up at one point - after I’d destroyed a tank?).

As such, if you want to shoot the tank deliberately, you need to rely on nudging out of the EM-style rubbers/lanes between the flippers to save your ball. Clue, they don’t work so well.

View attachment 242233

Second, shooting the tank wouldn’t be a problem if there was something else obvious to shoot for. After all, everyone who plays AFM knows that the saucer is a risky shot and, if you’re an accurate shooter, it’s easier to safely build up a score via the ramps and orbits. The problem is, as explained on the rules card, the missions are activated at the right-hand saucer by rolling through the inlanes. Thus, you need to be shooting for something else before the ball can roll down the inlanes… 🤯 So, what do you shoot for straight off the plunge? 🤷‍♂️ The tank, presumably, while the ball save is on. And then, well, everything that isn’t the tank in a game called ‘Galactic Tank Force’.

Third, the team who programmed this evidently *loved* the video clips. Because they are constantly interrupting the gameplay and they go on for about three seconds longer than you wanted to hear them. Yes, it’s fun hearing Plotnik or Captain Kyan for the first time, but do you really want a long spiel greeting a new cadet or explaining Empress Annoya’s evil scheme each time you start the game or start a feature? I’ll stand corrected if these are skippable, but - if not - I found they interrupted play.

Fourth, after playing Labyrinth, which had very informative inserts for new players, the lack of information communicated by the inserts on GTF was subtly noticeable. It wasn‘t as bad as JJP’s Guns and Roses, but I had to read the rules card - the game just didn’t help me out as a new player.

Fifth, the playfield layout feels remarkably standard. It’s not really innovating. Not a problem, but it needs to be doing something else exceptionally well. The pops were also very tepid. So, the best shot in the game was probably an orbit into the inlanes… :(

Sixth, the rules just feel slightly subtly ‘off’. The lower playfield is murderous - you just don’t want to be there. The tank creates SDTMs and the slingshots are really vigorous. So, you’d expect the rules to give you lots of points for staying in the lower playfield, right? But, I seemed to get a lot more points shooting the super-repeatable left ramp during a Plotnik mode than going for the tank. So, why go for the tank? Worse still, central bash toys are usually designed for newbie players. A new player flails around, hits the bash toy a few times and - hey presto - something fun happens! With GTF, if you shoot the bash toy, you insta-drain. Not fun :(

Anyway, in conclusion, a bit of a weird one. Not sure who the audience is, TBH. It’s not playfield/shot/layout fans. It doesn’t have a compelling theme. And the gameplay isn’t targeted at a particular group of players (e.g. families), either.
Appreciate the review Vee

How did you find the magnets ? Given we both have TNA experience with its central keypad and also brutal SDTM scenario I figured this wouldn’t be as much of a negative for you ?

Was anyone able to get a feel for the sound quality? Are we looking at another speaker upgrade to deal with the sound quality given the nature of the music ?

I live fairly close to the venue and might take Thursday off to go down there; does anyone know if all the pins will still be set up on Thursday?
Also, has Pulp Fiction arrived there yet?
Cheers 👍🏻
Big thanks to @VeeMonroe for the reviews; you've inspired me to get down there!
Pulp Fiction is at EAG

Appreciate the review Vee

How did you find the magnets ?

I had a brief encounter with the magnets. Sadly, they annoyed me on Oktoberfest and Houdini, and they also annoyed me on GTF :(

I’m just personally not a huge fan of unexpected magnets. I don’t really like ‘The Power’ on Addams Family for the same reason.

Given we both have TNA experience with its central keypad and also brutal SDTM scenario I figured this wouldn’t be as much of a negative for you ?

TNA always feels, to me, very deliberate. You can either shoot at the keypad directly (very risky) or you can try to get multiball (harder, but safer) and complete the pads that way. Both routes are options straight from the skillshot.

With my initial play of the GTF ruleset, it didn’t feel as clear or deliberate. It felt like I was *supposed* to shoot the tank and the multiballs were a side option. It’s likely, if you have it at home, you can find a way to combo the multiballs with the tanks, but it wasn’t obvious the best way to do that on a handful of location plays, and it wasn’t even clear to me (I may be wrong) that combining a multiball with tanks *was* a strong tactic.

E1968B80-F476-42C7-8529-C721653A0B29.jpeg
I didn’t know what to do, so I read the rules card. It was obvious that Tank Battles (No.1) was a bad idea, so I tried shooting cows, but there weren’t necessarily UFOs around when I wanted them. Then I tried pop bumpers, but didn’t manage to hit enough to start the multiball (it was weird, the pops didn’t feel that sensitive to the ball for some reason, so I’d shoot it into the pop clusters and nothing much happened).

Eventually, I noticed the saucer was lit and that seemed to start modes with lit shots. So, I just did that…?

Fans of Houdini have (vigorously) told me on Pinside (literally, DMing me in response to my review) that it’s a great game at home. So, the same might go for GTF (although for different reasons) :)

Last edited:
Interesting, thanks for the review Vee! Hearing good buzz around EJ, looking forward to trying that the most, despite being a big Elwin fan ☺

Excellent reviews from Vee, you'll have to back and do one for Pulp Fiction 😂

Interesting you mention the below on Jaws, I seen this happen many many times on last nights stern gameplay stream.

This wouldn’t be so bad, but I found the upper playfield shot (and, weirdly, the shot beside it to the left of the boat) really difficult on the Prem. The ball trickled back out or rejected so many times. Having looked at the geometry of the playfield on the Prem, the problem seems to be that there’s a VUK behind the boat, and the ball doesn’t seem to reliably upkick from that VUK onto the upper playfield.

I thought jaws was great apart from lacking a rail next to the boat to prevent stuck balls. This was my first experience on my first ball 😅. Apart from that I thought both the Prem and the Pro were really fun and different enough to be called different models.
View attachment trim.FE6CC709-2B95-4D85-AA18-6AAA79FFA230.MOV

Elton looked stunning and shot fast and fun. Found galactic tank force surprisingly fun, and enjoyed a couple of quick goes on Labyrinth (although there were some long pauses in gameplay for video stuff and the sound system was a bit harsh imo). All good though 👍

Jaws Prem probably my favourite of the show. Loved the moving target shot. New kind of shot with waiting for the post to drop and timing the shot onto the moving target. Love it. Well designed.

Great day at EAG

Elton John - Great machine, enjoyed playing it in the US enjoyed playing it today! Can’t wait to get it in Tilt in March

One of JJP best

Jaws was my favourite of the day… I was feeling pretty underwhelmed but walking away knowing I’m buying one… question is pro or premium

I’m leaning towards Pro… I had several massive games taking the majority of the high scores and grand champion and Guy said I only went to the upper playfield once or twice

And the shark only comes up couple times so not a massive element to making my decision

I had a brief encounter with the magnets. Sadly, they annoyed me on Oktoberfest and Houdini, and they also annoyed me on GTF :(

I’m just personally not a huge fan of unexpected magnets. I don’t really like ‘The Power’ on Addams Family for the same reason.

TNA always feels, to me, very deliberate. You can either shoot at the keypad directly (very risky) or you can try to get multiball (harder, but safer) and complete the pads that way. Both routes are options straight from the skillshot.

With my initial play of the GTF ruleset, it didn’t feel as clear or deliberate. It felt like I was *supposed* to shoot the tank and the multiballs were a side option. It’s likely, if you have it at home, you can find a way to combo the multiballs with the tanks, but it wasn’t obvious the best way to do that on a handful of location plays, and it wasn’t even clear to me (I may be wrong) that combining a multiball with tanks *was* a strong tactic.

View attachment 242265
I didn’t know what to do, so I read the rules card. It was obvious that Tank Battles (No.1) was a bad idea, so I tried shooting cows, but there weren’t necessarily UFOs around when I wanted them. Then I tried pop bumpers, but didn’t manage to hit enough to start the multiball (it was weird, the pops didn’t feel that sensitive to the ball for some reason, so I’d shoot it into the pop clusters and nothing much happened).

Eventually, I noticed the saucer was lit and that seemed to start modes with lit shots. So, I just did that…?

Fans of Houdini have (vigorously) told me on Pinside (literally, DMing me in response to my review) that it’s a great game at home. So, the same might go for GTF (although for different reasons) :)
Duly noted
I guess if you’re not a magnet fan then you won’t enjoy them.
Everything at home is different. I think it’s the ultimate test of whether you will bond with the game or not
And a centre target is personal on attack preference too - A bit Dirty Harry - Are you feeling lucky punk ?

I played most games today, don't want to go mega in depth with all of them but a few notes on each, primarily on gameplay (I only got 1-2 games on all of them and I'm not overly knowledgeable about other aspects!)

Elton John: Shot really nicely, great flow to the game. Flippers feel better than some previous JJP games I've played. Sound felt great as well. Probably my favourite of all the games I played, I've not got the cash but I think anyone buying will be pretty happy

Galactic tank force: Was ok, shots felt fine but that tank right at the front of the game feels like a AFM saucer but with more danger. Mission hole also seemed to take ages before letting me start a mission even when lit? Maybe I was doing something wrong...

Venom: I'd not played this yet so adding this in, game is lightning fast and can be quite punishing as a result. When you can dial shots in it feels very satisfying, especially looping that centre ramp. Couldn't get the left hand shots dialed in at all so struggled a bit but from the games I played it enjoyable. Seemed easier to start multiballs than a mode! Probably missed a trick.

Jaws: Actually more fun than I expected, only played the premium. Felt very Elwin with the shots and flow but at the same time the typical stern affair of stacking MB with a mode, deep rulset and shooting lit shots etc. Would like a few more games on it since I imagine I missed a few things

Labyrinth: Only got the one game on this but it was solid, maybe on the easier end though I can't say too much more as the one game I did have wasn't a great one!!! Would probably want to get some more time to form more of a bigger opinion so apologies

Spinal Tap: I was playing all of these games with a friend and after one game he said it was his worst experience playing pinball ever. He's not played tons of games but from what I played I can't really disagree with him. Oddly floaty, it feels very cheap in general and the entire top screen pretty much feels wasted as most things are accounted on the DMD anyway? A shame as good game with this theme would have a good amount of appeal but this ain't it.

I think this year was one of the best EAG's in a good while

So good to see Electrocoin @philpalmer and @David retro all with stands with lots of brand new shiny machines

Great to see my buddy @Atlantis

Big thanks to @Nick @Kelsbells @JustLikeMe for lots of games together :)

Hope everyone else has as much fun as I did today over next couple of days

Highlight being the first one in at 9am and having Jaws to myself for a good hour :)

Excellent reviews from Vee, you'll have to back and do one for Pulp Fiction 😂
There’s a low/medium possibility I might be able to pop in after a work phone call late this afternoon. Can anyone at EAG post once Pulp Fiction is set up and available to play?

If I can get there, I might have another go on Elton John. I fancied seeing if I could start some modes, but - having read the rules sheet - there don’t seem to be any (!) :eek:

Interesting you mention the below on Jaws, I seen this happen many many times on last nights stern gameplay stream.

I’d seen that on the stream, but thought it might be a specific machine or just a difficult shot (the left ramp on our Godzilla Prem needs careful lining up for the ball to reach the top of the ramp). It happened a couple of times to me, and then to other people, and that’s when I investigated. In extreme cases, the ball just seemed to loop most of the way around, and then dribbled back, so I assume it doesn’t make the VUK.

I should mention I got onto the upper playfield a few times, so it is a makeable shot (not a broken machine). It’s just harder than the Pro.

The ball just seems to loop most of the way around, and then dribbles back, so I assume it doesn’t get taken up the VUK (?).

If you’re talking about the shot to get to the upper playfield, there isn’t a VUK - it’s a ‘wave’ ramp. Kinda like a half pipe.

If you’re talking about the shot to get to the upper playfield, there isn’t a VUK - it’s a ‘wave’ ramp. Kinda like a half pipe.
Ah, I assumed there was a solenoid below that ramp...

That it’s *not* a VUK explains why you need a lot of ‘oooomph’ and shot angling to get the ball up there. It needs to go in a huge curve beneath the upper playfield before it meets that ramp, so - presumably - there are lots of opportunities for the ball to lose energy by colliding with stuff.

3098BD8A-DC6E-4745-B9A3-B1316769B3D8.jpeg

That it’s *not* a VUK explains why you need a lot of ‘oooomph’ and shot angling to get the ball up there. It needs to go in a huge curve beneath the upper playfield before it meets that ramp, so - presumably - there are lots of opportunities for the ball to lose energy by colliding with stuff.

Yes, but I found that clean shots generally did make it up to the upper playfield.

The one thing I didn’t notice about the game before I played it yesterday is the clever placement of the right ramp below this wave ramp - meaning that shots that don’t quite make it all the way up the wave often fall onto the right ramp to return to the flipper. Good design.

Had a great afternoon at EAG with @Tilt_Birmingham yesterday. Huge thanks as always to @philpalmer @David retro and Electrocoin for bringing the machines along and letting us get some time in on them.

Some brief thoughts -

Elton John - Loved it. Still not a theme for me, but what a game. It’s beautiful, flippers are strong, shots are great, and the JJP light show really works on this one. I’d buy one right now if it was a theme I was into.

Jaws - Liked it. Enjoyed it more than I thought I would based on the first gameplay video. I found it easier to shoot than Elwin’s other games despite the shots looking quite narrow. I’m normally a Premium buyer, but I don’t like upper playfields which meant I actually enjoyed the Pro more. I’m tempted to get one, but the problem I have is they stripped so much out of the Pro that it feels quite empty and also quite cheap. Hard to justify spending close to £8k on a game with so little in it. If the Pro had kept the drop targets and the boat that raises to reveal Jaws it would be an easy buy.

Labyrinth - Liked it. Very impressive first effort from Barrels of Fun. It’s a beautiful machine, has a real ‘world under glass’ feeling, and some really fun touches. Feels like you get much more for your money than a Stern Premium. The game itself is fun, and has some nice shots, but I didn’t find it that exciting to play. I think this is partly due to the soundtrack which is quite subdued. I’m excited to see what Barrels of Fun do next though as it felt like a high quality machine.

Galactic Tank Force - Really wanted to like it. Looks great but gameplay wasn’t there for me. Flippers didn’t feel great, central tank target very dangerous to shoot, and the videos seemed to go on forever. Disappointing.

Spinal Tap - I don’t want to be negative, so all I’ll say is that I think it’s better than Thunderbirds.

It was a shame that Scooby and Godfather were for display only, but makes sense seeing as they’re sold. I haven’t played a Scooby yet but it’s a beautiful game in person. I’ve played Godfather elsewhere and I’m in the minority who really enjoy it. I’d describe it as a good gangster themed pinball, not a good Godfather pinball.

It’s also a shame that both Venom machines at the show are Pros. The Premium / LE really is so much better.

All in all a good year for EAG. Hope those of you going over today and tomorrow have a great time.

Yes, but I found that clean shots generally did make it up to the upper playfield.
That was my experience too :) I got shots up there, so it wasn’t broken, but it's not a shot a player can trivially combo. It has to be super-clean.

Last edited:
I can get there this afternoon after my work call, so - anyone who is there - let me know if/when Pulp Fiction is set up on the Namco (I think) stand, and I’ll pop around to give it a review.

Shame Elton John is such a TERRIBLE theme. The game looks brilliant.

It shoots amazing and the JJP ‘rainbow puke’ totally works for this theme. Honestly, they’ve captured lightning in a bottle with this one, and my only concern is the code. The rules sheet I found looked like it was a ‘set collection’ game (e.g. collect three wardrobe items, spell ELTON, etc.) with no modes, three multiballs and a wizard mode when you’ve collected enough shots. And JJP seems to have acquired a reputation for not finishing their code.

Thus, I’m not sure I’d want to pay £12,750 for a pin with about the same rules depth as Fish Tales (but less tried/tested/difficult), which will be worth £7.5-8.5k in two years’ time. I’d be making a huge gamble on it lasting the distance. Obviously, if I was a billionaire with a massive games room, I’d just buy it, but I’m not…

Also, thanks for all the reviews, keep them coming!
Thanks! That’s the end of the EAG reviews unless I know Pulp Fiction is turned on and ready to play, unfortunately :(

I started a bit of a Pokemon quest for on-location play a couple of years ago, and have rated 149 pins on Pinside so far. I go back and update the ratings/comments every now and then as/if my opinions change.

Last edited:
Thanks! That’s the end of the EAG reviews unless I know Pulp Fiction is turned on and ready to play, unfortunately :(

I started a bit of a Pokemon quest for on-location play a couple of years ago, and have rated 149 pins on Pinside so far. I go back and update the ratings/comments every now and then as/if my opinions change.
People already playing pulp
I’ve had reviews … not as in depth as your though 😜

Back
Top Bottom