What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

London EAG

To be fair Vee, some of the best games ever don't have modes. Modes came around in the 90s and I don't think they offer as much replayability.

Lots of different objectives are much better imo. AFM and MM don't really have modes and look how great they are.
I agree. When I went down this afternoon, I was going to give it another go.

It is just super fun. Very very fun to shoot, and some great pinball moments too. As I wasn't familiar with the rules the first time I played, but had seen the croc shot compared to the caster's club, I went for the crocodile rock multiball, and it was just an amazing pinball moment - lights ramping up, crocodiles on rockets swooping across the screen, etc. etc.

I'd much rather play an early 90s game (like Fish Tales, Creech, Diner) or a classic over and over than a game like Junkyard.
Once I'd got to the end of JY and got a massive score I lost interest. (Road show is an exception as it's the best wpc mode based game and I love it for many reasons).

I assume Elton has things you could consider quick modes, timed objectives like the features on Creech or Fishy with fish frenzy/rock the boat.

Gone off topic, just find it interesting.

I'd much rather play an early 90s game (like Fish Tales, Creech, Diner) or a classic over and over than a game like Junkyard.
Once I'd got to the end of JY and got a massive score I lost interest. (Road show is an exception as it's the best wpc mode based game and I love it for many reasons).

I assume Elton has things you could consider quick modes, timed objectives like the features on Creech or Fishy with fish frenzy/rock the boat.

Gone off topic, just find it interesting.
I find it interesting too.

I do a bit of both. I love games like TNA or Fishy that are simple to learn but hard to master, relatively quick ball times and it's all about the shots. I also enjoy games like Centaur that are eas(ier), but still interesting to shoot.

I also tend to enjoy the mode-based Spike 2 Sterns with very complex narrative code. I tend to view them like rogue-like video games. I'm just playing them with a standard difficulty, trying to get further into the game each time, and it's obvious that - at my current skill level - I'm never going to get to the wizard mode. But it's an aspiration...

The games I don't like are the ones that have some code complexity, but not enough to stop me getting to the end. I do exactly like you do. I play them for a while, get to 'the end', and then are like 'right, seen that, done that now'. I actually got that with Creech once I regularly got the multiball, and I was *really* interested in Metallica until I got to Crank It Up and realised that was the wizard mode. And, then, I was 'well, I've seen the game now' and didn't especially want to play it again.

Had Venom been more interesting to play at introductory levels, I'd have played it until I got to Krull, and then never wanted to play it again. I guess that's probably what Stern are banking on with the levelling mechanic. Mediocre players get to the end, sell the pin, buy a new title... 🤑 They don't get much money from me playing Godzilla on a forever quest to get to Planet X.

I was *really* interested in Metallica until I got to Crank It Up and realised that was the wizard mode. And, then, I was 'well, I've seen the game now' and didn't especially want to play it again.
I have good news for you, 1st crank it up is only 1/4 of the way to wizard mode. Wizard mode is called End of the Line.

I need modes and a wizard mode to aim for. Playing for score doesn’t keep me interested like the feeling of progressing towards something for some reason.
I always like having a classic. I think it's because they boot up really quickly, the ball times are really short, and you can just set yourself a goal and get in a quick pinball fix - in a coffee break or while waiting for the kettle to boil.

With Flash Gordon (for me), it was getting over a million. I like trying to get a five-ball multiball going on Centaur and keep it going as long as I can - it's very much a JJP-like experience, but in a fast, streamlined package. With Alien Poker, I liked to see how many times I could get the drops down in order. And, obviously, with TNA, despite the simple rules and lack of modes, it's all about going for the 9th reactor...

But, yeah, I tend not to like pins so much where it's like "oh, I got 500,000 last time and now I can get 600,000". Comparing scores seems to do it for my two sons (even the little one), but not me. And there's a sweet spot where the goal remains hard enough to be interesting.

I managed to get down there this afternoon to play Pulp Fiction. Lovely to see @Gonzo (with intrusive video camera ;)) and lots of other people, who I’m unsure about your Pinballinfo handles (but, it was lovely to chat and please wave :) ).

Got to say, I’m a bit of a Schrondinger’s Pinball Player. I got 116,000 on PF when I was in a two-player game and being observed by several PBR regulars, but the minute 5:15pm struck and I was (almost) alone, I promptly got 570,750 and 879,480, neither of which was embarrassing!

9F79D7FD-544C-4B2A-9F9E-7815994FBAD0.jpeg

Anyway, this was the highlight of EAG for me. It is what happens when a game designer asks the question ‘what happened if I (re)made a 70s/80s pin using modern technology’? I’ve asked that question myself and was taking notes on how Pulp Fiction communicates information about the game state to the player.

View attachment trim.391216AE-E7B1-4244-83E8-B279C7898D6D.MOV

The artwork pops.

5B137721-9DC1-48DC-8E11-BCB76D7CF4A3.jpeg

The build quality is as solid as a machine from the era it’s a homage too.

098ACBA6-9916-4884-99E8-91889D62A218.jpeg

The music as foot-tapping as the film.

View attachment trim.B636E686-930C-47F1-A5FA-9BF9F6C9D8FC.MOV

I found the callouts slightly unclear, there were a lot of them, but they were movie sound clips and didn’t actually communicate game information. There was the occasional bit of game information displayed on the backglass, but - mostly - the game expected you to rely on your knowledge of classic pins (and their imitators).

So, it knows its audience…

View attachment trim.0D20C20F-400B-4104-9304-3FC87454D51A.MOV

Play-wise, this is a classic pin, but with modes, lighting, ball saves and multiballs from the 21st century. If you don’t like 70s/80s pins, for example you’ve played in a classics tournament or you’ve been to PBR, and you just find them hard… annoying… prone to side-lane drains… you will NOT like this pin. Nothing on this pin will make you like classics. It is a love letter to 70s pins. The target audience for this pin are people who love classics, but would prefer the tech wasn’t 40 years old now.

I saw a couple of people get really super scores (over 1 million), and there’s a lot of nudging needed to get this pin to play nice. You need to cradle up the ball, make deliberate shots, and know how a slap save works. Tonnes of moving the machine to get balls into the top saucer or to bounce them up off the centre post (as I did at one point, yay!). If that isn’t your thing, this pin won’t change your mind.

2B240EE6-700E-459B-A324-6AFF75A14F60.jpeg

I *really* enjoyed Pulp Fiction. It was challenging, but fun.

Lots of stuff to shoot for, including a scoop at the end of a lane for modes.

5ACA8ED5-8524-43C2-9772-43F1C6837400.jpeg

Some lovely inline drop targets for briefcase boogie multiball.
35BAA6AE-1F0A-467C-AB49-F7502368A7DA.jpeg

And some lovely central drops protecting a scoop for pawn shop multiball (the easiest multiball).

AE3FD5D8-7740-4B24-A30B-7BD1EFAEB7D2.jpeg

From what I could see from the playfield, completing both multiballs and all the ‘scene’ modes started a wizard mode. No one got to it while I was watching, and scores were over 2 million (Well done Ian!)

FF63C359-E46F-44A2-86BD-30DE0005B6F7.jpeg
This is an instant classic. Just a wonderful pin. The only downer was the one I played didn’t have a topper.

Anyway, best in show by far!

Attachments

• 341ACFCF-24B0-4979-B592-6C93C6D4BF28.jpeg
    341ACFCF-24B0-4979-B592-6C93C6D4BF28.jpeg
    172.1 KB · Views: 14
I also took some more videos and images of Elton John, and played it a couple more times.

9CE886A9-1EA3-4277-B0FC-1FE0BBB33837.jpeg

The shine wore off slightly on repeat play (metaphorically and literally, in the case of Elton John).

18836D0F-8104-41FC-A17E-B476B084A740.jpeg

A bit like how I realised it had a basic plunger alongside all that bling, I was trying to deliberately collect E-L-T-O-N letters and wardrobe items, and it didn’t feel there was that much behind all the lights and colour.

802EFD5E-3DB3-405E-BB90-B806CE6C53CF.jpeg

I started croc rock multiball twice in the same game, struggled to shoot for rocketman multiball because I didn’t know which flipper to use for the shot above the flipper and, I don’t know… it was like a lot of other JJPs I’ve played where there’s lots of information on the big screen, but none of it seems terribly important.

View attachment trim.2D5237DD-85DB-4FAB-8906-80E8B1BDE944.MOV

I guess I was comparing it to Jaws yesterday, and Pulp Fiction today ;) 😈 It’s a good fun pin, shoots gorgeous, but I’m still not sure about the lastability. I sense it might play a bit ‘noodly‘ if you really got into it, i.e lots of multiballs and everything scores. There are some really famous pins, e.g. Twilight Zone, which have that playstyle, except without the multiballs, so that’s not a diss at all.

To me, it’s the best shooting JJP yet and absolutely beautiful.

A personal worthy second place in a strong field.

I managed to get down there this afternoon to play Pulp Fiction. Lovely to see @Gonzo (with intrusive video camera ;)) and lots of other people, who I’m unsure about your Pinballinfo handles (but, it was lovely to chat and please wave :) ).

Got to say, I’m a bit of a Schrondinger’s Pinball Player. I got 116,000 on PF when I was in a two-player game and being observed by several PBR regulars, but the minute 5:15pm struck and I was (almost) alone, I promptly got 570,750 and 879,480, neither of which was embarrassing!

View attachment 242321

Anyway, this was the highlight of EAG for me. It is what happens when a game designer asks the question ‘what happened if I (re)made a 70s/80s pin using modern technology’? I’ve asked that question myself and was taking notes on how Pulp Fiction communicates information about the game state to the player.

View attachment 242322

The artwork pops.

View attachment 242323

View attachment 242325

View attachment 242324

I found the callouts slightly unclear, there were a lot of them, but they were movie sound clips and didn’t actually communicate game information. There was the occasional bit of game information displayed on the backglass, but - mostly - the game expected you to rely on your knowledge of classic pins (and their imitators).

View attachment 242326

Play-wise, this is a classic pin, but with modes, lighting, ball saves and multiballs from the 21st century. If you don’t like 70s/80s pins, for example you’ve played in a classics tournament or you’ve been to PBR, and you just find them hard… annoying… prone to side-lane drains… you will NOT like this pin. Nothing on this pin will make you like classics. It is a love letter to 70s pins. The target audience for this pin are people who love classics, but would prefer the tech wasn’t 40 years old now.

I saw a couple of people get really super scores (over 1 million), and there’s a lot of nudging needed to get this pin to play nice. You need to cradle up the ball, make deliberate shots, and know how a slap save works. Tonnes of moving the machine to get balls into the top saucer or to bounce them up off the centre post (as I did at one point, yay!). If that isn’t your thing, this pin won’t change your mind.

View attachment 242327

View attachment 242328

View attachment 242329

And some lovely central drops protecting a scoop for pawn shop multiball (the easiest multiball).

View attachment 242330

From what I could see from the playfield, completing both multiballs and all the ‘scene’ modes started a wizard mode. No one got to it while I was watching, and scores were over 2 million (Well done Ian!)

View attachment 242331
This is an instant classic. Just a wonderful pin. The only downer was the one I played didn’t have a topper.

Great review Vee, it looks a stunning piece of kit and one of the few that I think will keep its value especially the le.

I can’t wait to get my Le. You could literally stick that pin in the corner of your lounge and just sit an admire… stunning

Thank you Vee :thumbs:
Thought PF would make the 2nd visit worth your while, and definitely didn't disappoint 😄

The target audience for this pin are people who love classics, but would prefer the tech wasn’t 40 years old now.
Absolutely nailed it, that's me!
Flash Gordon is an EPIC game that I Fing love but the fiddle faddle with bits n bobs stopping working every day wasn't good for my temperament.

Ramped up my excitement again, so thank you. Cannot wait for my BMF edition

I had a slightly different view on the pins for my two cents... so here it is! First thanks to all the exhibitors if you read this, it really helps to be able to play these pins to be able to decide which ones you are after. First off Im no great player so these are all casual player- maybe 2/3 plays each.

Jaws- plays nicely, but isn't really a must buy for me. I am not really into the theme massively, and had much better first impressions from Godzilla and Foo fighters. I only played the premium and could see theres lots to do and itll be deep, the code is in no way "James bond launch", so I think those that are into it will have a good time. They have the assets, playfield art could be better, upper playfield isnt really used (probably down to not understanding the game) . I found it a bit weird the shark pops up, you hit it almost straight away and it goes- its like "hi and bye". I guess next time it comes up it needs to be hit more? I imagine that will be altered in code. Will look forward to playing it again but wouldnt buy without playing more.

Elton John- I had low expectations for this but its one of the most stand out light show pins ever. Really needs to be seen in person. I also found it really fun to play, and it made me smile while playing a ton. I imagine you put this on site somewhere and it will be a winner on look alone. Very surprised how much I like this- I couldnt even recognise half the Elton songs on the selector at the start, so the theme is so far away from whatd I be after but the machine is so good it overcomes that. I imagine if you love Elton and pinball you must have this, theres no question.

Pulp fiction- at the start of the day it had no sound- asked the tech to turn it up, and later came back and it was so loud it almost muffled the speech. Everyone I spoke to who preordered one loved it. I'd like to play it again where I can hear everything as think it's such a big part of the game. Its definitely different to what Stern are putting out, looks well made and seems difficult from the first few plays. I would say I wasnt so blown away with it as others, which is weird as its one of my favourite films. Hard to judge how complex it is at first go but seems to have enough depth, combined with the difficulty to be a winner in a home environment.

Galactic tank force- Weird one. I had a lot of fun playing it, but theres a LOT of video clips and some arent as well done as others. The 3d printed parts for me look too cheap for a machine charging that money. They really look they could be printed on someones home 3d printer for an A level art project BUT... I did have fun with it. Loved the robot dude popping out, liked the ball lock, like the playfield art. Could see someone modding one of these and making it look great. My comment was that if it was cheaper then I'd be interested.

Labyrinth- big fan of the theme first off so biased. Looks great, well made, has good moments. Its definitely long playing though. It feels a different standard to a stern pro- and justifies going up against premiums. Theres always that worry with new companies though eh? Lots of mechs in it... Unsure as well if they are continuing to work on the code or if its finalised. Need a pinside deep dive!

It's really great we have a range of games out to choose from, can see why each of these would be someones favourite. If I had to pick one right now itd be Labyrinth.

View attachment 242321

View attachment 242322

The artwork pops.

View attachment 242323

View attachment 242325

View attachment 242324

View attachment 242326

View attachment 242327

View attachment 242328

View attachment 242329

View attachment 242330

View attachment 242331

Many thanks for sharing all this Vee.

This by far the best new Pin announcement from last year and the best recent Pin I have seen by a long shot, nothing comes close. The fact that this was even produced is incredible really, we might never see a pin like it ever again.

At a hundred pound or so above a Stern Pro for us in the UK, this is a steal in my opinion. I can't see anything that comes even close to an all rounded Pin package this game provides.

I sure hope @Gonzo has captured lots on this and gives us an impressions video also.

I had a slightly different view on the pins for my two cents... so here it is! First thanks to all the exhibitors if you read this, it really helps to be able to play these pins to be able to decide which ones you are after. First off Im no great player so these are all casual player- maybe 2/3 plays each.

Jaws- plays nicely, but isn't really a must buy for me. I am not really into the theme massively, and had much better first impressions from Godzilla and Foo fighters. I only played the premium and could see theres lots to do and itll be deep, the code is in no way "James bond launch", so I think those that are into it will have a good time. They have the assets, playfield art could be better, upper playfield isnt really used (probably down to not understanding the game) . I found it a bit weird the shark pops up, you hit it almost straight away and it goes- its like "hi and bye". I guess next time it comes up it needs to be hit more? I imagine that will be altered in code. Will look forward to playing it again but wouldnt buy without playing more.

Elton John- I had low expectations for this but its one of the most stand out light show pins ever. Really needs to be seen in person. I also found it really fun to play, and it made me smile while playing a ton. I imagine you put this on site somewhere and it will be a winner on look alone. Very surprised how much I like this- I couldnt even recognise half the Elton songs on the selector at the start, so the theme is so far away from whatd I be after but the machine is so good it overcomes that. I imagine if you love Elton and pinball you must have this, theres no question.

Pulp fiction- at the start of the day it had no sound- asked the tech to turn it up, and later came back and it was so loud it almost muffled the speech. Everyone I spoke to who preordered one loved it. I'd like to play it again where I can hear everything as think it's such a big part of the game. Its definitely different to what Stern are putting out, looks well made and seems difficult from the first few plays. I would say I wasnt so blown away with it as others, which is weird as its one of my favourite films. Hard to judge how complex it is at first go but seems to have enough depth, combined with the difficulty to be a winner in a home environment.

Galactic tank force- Weird one. I had a lot of fun playing it, but theres a LOT of video clips and some arent as well done as others. The 3d printed parts for me look too cheap for a machine charging that money. They really look they could be printed on someones home 3d printer for an A level art project BUT... I did have fun with it. Loved the robot dude popping out, liked the ball lock, like the playfield art. Could see someone modding one of these and making it look great. My comment was that if it was cheaper then I'd be interested.

Labyrinth- big fan of the theme first off so biased. Looks great, well made, has good moments. Its definitely long playing though. It feels a different standard to a stern pro- and justifies going up against premiums. Theres always that worry with new companies though eh? Lots of mechs in it... Unsure as well if they are continuing to work on the code or if its finalised. Need a pinside deep dive!

It's really great we have a range of games out to choose from, can see why each of these would be someones favourite. If I had to pick one right now itd be Labyrinth.
Thanks for the thoughts - it’s lovely to hear someone else’s detailed views 😍

I definitely think Pulp Fiction is a love letter to 70s pins (but a very different one to TNA). If you’re not a huge classics fan, it probably won’t grab you, but I think everyone who preordered one knew what they were letting themselves in for :) We were very tempted to preorder, but I’ve made a rule not to buy pins I haven’t played, which means - if I now order one - I’ve missed out on the funky topper :(

I had an great afternoon at EAG today. Caught up with quite a few of the regulars and had some fun games. Many thanks to the guys who managed to get all these games together for the event - it was my first EAG and I'll defininitely be back in future years - might actually have a go on some of the other games there in future - there were quite a lot of interesing VR shooters, driving games etc.. but in the time I had there, it was just spent on chatting to people and playing a few games on most of the pinball machines. The following are just my initial impressions based on a couple of games on each - these are not proper reviews, and I'm definitely sure others will have differing opinions, and I'll probably change my opinion with more exposure to them!

For me, Pulp Fiction was the standout of the lot, but then the more I play the classic machines, the more I like them, so it was right up my street. The whole machine just works so well - theme, music, shots - it has everything. I enjoyed watching Ian post over 2 million on it, and then later I managed over 1 million on a 2 player game with Vee. It was so very enjoyable. @Gonzo was filming, so I look forward to seeing whatever footage he got.

Next favourite was probably Galactic Tank Force. I agree that the tank in the middle is a dangerous shot, but you can hit it straight away while the ball save is running, and then again if you get multiball going. Having said that, I did go for it in single ball play a few times, and didn't feel it was overly punishing, but did need the odd pre-emptive nudge when the ball bounced off and headed for the outlanes. I'd say it was no more risky than hitting the centre grid on TNA, which there is some technique to in open play (on TNA, aim to hit between 2 of the targets, as this can light both, and gives a less dangerous bounce). I'd love to spend more time on it to learn what I should be aiming for, but I wasn't expecting much and really enjoyed it - think I got about 280 million, which was 2nd highest score on it. Very much liked the humour with the UFO/cow target (nod back to RFM?), and I didn't feel the delays from the video bits were that much of a disruption, but then as soon as these came on, I tended to hit both flipper buttons and they didn't seem to last that long. I may be mistaken in this, but it's what I came away thinking.

Labyrinth was probably the next best. I only managed the one game on this, and watched a couple of others. It wasn't as hectic as PF or GTF, playing at a slower pace, but had a definite charm with creatures popping up in unexpected places. I thought it played well, and I'm sure that it would be more interesting knowing what you're supposed to be aiming for. David Bowie music kicking in for one of the multiballs was another nice touch.

Elton John - well, it looks spectacular and somehow JJP have managed to deliver a VERY impressive light show, but without the blinding glare which you get from GnR. The flippers are great - no issue here, and the sound/music is very good (I'm not a massive Elton John fan, but enjoyed it nonetheless). The shots were pretty good, although it seemed reasonably easy to get dialled in to several of them. I can certainly see it being extremely popular, and I'd definitely like to play it more in future. It's certainly not as multiball heavy as GnR, which has to be a positive. My only possible concern (caveat - I don't know the depth of code only playing 2 games), would be that in only my 2nd game, in one ball I managed quite a long play and scored around 300 million. Maybe it was set up to be quite easy, so would maybe benefit from slightly harder settings. Having said that, for some reason it seemed to take a dislike to Martin Ayub in the 3 player game we played along with Armen Lloyd, tilting Martin a couple of times when he hardly moved it!

Jaws - I only had a couple of games on the pro, but also watched a couple on the premium. I'd like to play it a fair bit more but personally I was left very slightly underwhelmed by it in comparison to the machines mentioned above. As I say, this is just my personal opinion, and likely to change with more games on both the pro and premium.

Godfather looked great, as did Scooby Doo, but these were not available to play (I believe they had already been sold), so the jury is out on these, and I very much look forward to getting a chance to play them at some point in the future.

Finally, Spinal Tap - my initial impressions from having played it at Pinfest were not changed in the slightest - the centre ramp was still pretty much impossible to hit, the game felt "cheap", and it wouldn't make it onto the bottom of a very long list of games I'd like to play again. I'd avoid it like the plague.

As I said, these are just my personal opinions, which may well change in future (except for Spinal Tap). What is clear though is that there are a whole range of very interesting new games out there, and this seems to be an exciting time in the pinball world. I'm also really looking forward to getting a chance to play Loony Tunes and Texas Chainsaw Massacre at some point (hopefully) soon.

If you can make it to EAG tomorrow, definitely go along, and thanks again to all involved with getting these new games together for the show!

Cracking day at EAG.

In order of preference….

Elton John & Pulp Fiction
Galactic Tank Force
Labyrinth
Venom
Jaws

I chatted to you Vee but I don’t think you knew who I was.
How could Vee not know. You are Phil. And you are "big" (tall). :D
(did the name badge not help?? Unless you didnt have "Big Phil" on there, which i suspect you didnt :D

Think I’m the only one that thought Elton John was just ok, good light show but Nothing new or exciting in it.

only one at eag i havent played is jaws

so my order is

Pulp Fiction
Galactic Tank Force
Labyrinth
elton John
Venom

but I like some weird pins so 🤷

Think I’m the only one that thought Elton John was just ok, good light show but Nothing new or exciting in it.

only one at eag i havent played is jaws

so my order is

Pulp Fiction
Galactic Tank Force
Labyrinth
elton John
Venom

but I like some weird pins so 🤷

Which was exactly the order I thought, as posted above for the first 4, so you're not the only one!

I didn't rate Venom specifically as I've played it before at PBR but put Jaws in 5th place. 👍

Hey @VeeMonroe . . . Great to see you and smashing job on the review.

Pulp probably just top for me too but honestly. . . . We were blessed with some exceptional pins to play and even the second and third choices would still be excellent games..

Back
Top Bottom