What's new

JJP3 The Future of Pinball

where are these drones Paul?

The drones are half way up the playfield on the right, and beneath them is an area with a hidden magnet so if you hit the ball in that area it gets whipped away in a random direction. That's during a delivery which gets triggered when the ball goes down the left inlane (I think) and ends when you hit the targets beneath the drones enough times to light all the little drone inserts and then hit the main drone target there.

When a delivery is going on the drones' props spin but sadly they are attached to metal posts so they don't fly around. So PL has captured the zeitgeist with phones and drones...

Here they are:

drones.jpg

And yet what seems so obvious now is that FTSE 100 comprise companies who are benefiting from a weak pound.
FTSE 100 now over 7000.
And yet, all these experts couldn't predict something that seems blindingly obvious.
The FTSE 100 is at 7k because almost all of its constituent companies profits are made outside of the UK. If the pound drops by 20pc, the FTSE will go up by 20pc. This was totally predictable and was predicted. The FTSE is somewhat isolated from the strength of the UK economy, at the end of the day it's just another company that happens to be operating from the UK.

ops won't buy because ops DONT buy pins, not that there is anything wrong with this pin... but EAG is expensive, no point doing unless you are going to sell containers of product... personally i don't see that happening.
What is the normal operator model @philpalmer ? My sister-in-law's brother (no doubt there is a word to describe that relationship better than that) runs a business in the North West operating juke-boxes, however he's a bit mental so challenging to understand how this business actually works.

Last edited:
If it isn't merely speculation as you say, provide a source for all of your statements about JJP.

If you can't be ****d to open your eyes, I'm not going to do it for you.

I will give you a hint though. Look at photos of the game. Particularly below the pf and in the backbox.

What is the normal operator model @philpalmer ? My sister-in-law's brother (no doubt there is a word to describe that relationship better than that) runs a business in the North West operating juke-boxes, however he's a bit mental so challenging to understand how this business actually works.

Not been giving pricing yet but still very expensive.... pins will never take money like fruits so operators who operate pins generally do it because they want to!

The pound will recover. its a short term issue that was predicted by many (intact I made killing out of it!) but in real terms _nothing_ has changed. Trade between UK and other countries hasn't changed, actually, its increased with significant investment come into the UK since the brexit vote. (and btw I wanted the UK to stay in the EU) Also don't forget that the Euro is artificially high owing to managing the greek (And others) crisis which is far from resolved. The UK economy is higher than it should be because of the payouts on PPI which kept the UK in a good place but thats coming to an end. The big issue for the UK is interest rates which need to move upwards otherwise we will be in real trouble.

With regards JJP, the difference in machine size does nothing to the difference in the labour required, materials is only half, probably even less, of what drives the prices of these machines.

I predict JJP will sell everyone of their machines; I predict the next Stern releases will be inline with the current pricing for Ghostbusters with perhaps a small bump to cover inflation (with prices recovering in the UK as the pound strengthens). I predict those that are making machines for less will either make crap machines or go out of business.

Regards,
Neil.

What investment would that be? There's expected to be a very precipitous fall off in net investment EOY figures. It will get far worse in '17. Do you mean more tourists? You do realise that if inward investment were rising, Sterling's losses would not have been nearly so severe. This isn't just speculative bets.

The Euro is in no way riding high. It's weak. Very weak. Just that the £ is far weaker, at least for now. That will change if the referendum in Italy is lost, but both will be dragged still lower against a wider basket of currencies if tthat happens.

PPI settlements keeping the UK economy in a good place / overinflating it? The headline figures may be large, but they're spread over years and of relatively little consequence. Stuff like the QE undertaken by the BoE and interest rate cuts absolutely dwarf anything like this in size, consequences and inflationary effect. It's probably of more significance that it continues to further erode the sustainability of Lloyds very poor capitalisation.

I can agree with you that interest rates are a massive problem. Even if our exit is 'soft' which looks increasingly unlikely, a combination of a tough decade looming combined with people borrowing as fast and as much as they possibly can, with the housing market inflating as a result, and CPI inflation soon running away due to the fatal weakness of Sterling ... people will be getting much poorer in real terms. Unfortunately I don't think the BoE will act until it's too late ... some members of the mpc committee still want to lower rates, and this as we head for parity with the $ ....

There will be no rebound in Sterling in the medium to long term unless we either remain in the EU or get such a soft deal that we might as well be. It's a question of when not if the Euro next lurches into crisis, so that rate will rebalance, but as people in this country constantly forget, weakness on our doorstep only weakens us relative to the rest of the world.

Personally I hope rates go up in the US ASAP so no-one can ignore the weakness of Sterling any longer, and May stops kowtowing to the lunatic fringe of her party, and cries and begs to Brussels for retention of both single market access and freedom of movement.

If rates remain the same in the US for another 4-5 months, Sterling might keep its head above $1.15, making the government suing for a hard exit much more likely, and long term prospects much worse.

Last edited:
Not been giving pricing yet but still very expensive.... pins will never take money like fruits so operators who operate pins generally do it because they want to!
You can understand the barcade model. The pins are essentially there to encourage folk in who will hopefully then spend on food and turps. Then again, I suspect that the barcade crowd will be less interested in the phone and selfie stuff which I see to be most of interest to teens.

What investment would that be? There's expected to be a very precipitous fall off in net investment EOY figures. It will get far worse in '17. Do you mean more tourists? You do realise that if inward investment were rising, Sterling's losses would not have been nearly so severe. This isn't just speculative bets.

The Euro is in no way riding high. It's weak. Very weak. Just that the £ is far weaker, at least for now. That will change if the referendum in Italy is lost, but both will be dragged still lower against a wider basket of currencies if tthat happens.

PPI settlements keeping the UK economy in a good place / overinflating it? The headline figures may be large, but they're spread over years and of relatively little consequence. Stuff like the QE undertaken by the BoE and interest rate cuts absolutely dwarf anything like this in size, consequences and inflationary effect. It's probably of more significance that it continues to further erode the sustainability of Lloyds very poor capitalisation.

I can agree with you that interest rates are a massive problem. Even if our exit is 'soft' which looks increasingly unlikely, a combination of a tough decade looming combined with people borrowing as fast and as much as they possibly can, with the housing market inflating as a result, and CPI inflation soon running away due to the fatal weakness of Sterling ... people will be getting much poorer in real terms. Unfortunately I don't think the BoE will act until it's too late ... some members of the mpc committee still want to lower rates, and this as we head for parity with the $ ....

There will be no rebound in Sterling in the medium to long term unless we either remain in the EU or get such a soft deal that we might as well be. It's a question of when not if the Euro next lurches into crisis, so that rate will rebalance, but as people in this country constantly forget, weakness on our doorstep only weakens us relative to the rest of the world.

Personally I hope rates go up in the US ASAP so no-one can ignore the weakness of Sterling any longer, and May stops kowtowing to the lunatic fringe of her party, and cries and begs to Brussels for retention of both single market access and freedom of movement.

If rates remain the same in the US for another 4-5 months, Sterling might keep its head above $1.15, making the government suing for a hard exit much more likely, and long term prospects much worse.

So SoftBank just bought ARM as one example - why do you think that being in or out of the Euro makes a difference to the demand for the products and services we have or the products and services our citizens want to buy?

If you want to buy an engine for passenger airliner there is three places in the world to buy it with one of them here in the U.K. And all of them have an order book that's very long.

If you want highly complex silicon design, you come to the UK and so on.

if I think about the car industry for BMW, Merc and VW as an example the U.K. Is the third/fourth largest export market and they need us just as much.

You don't mention what we are doing with the QOE and in time any impact that the use of that sorts itself out in the medium term.

Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear your argument Neil, but export/import tariffs will affect the products/services that (eg) the French, German, Italians and so on buy from us, and vice versa. The simple solution for those companies that make high demand products is to relocate back into the EU, taking their tax revenues, skills, employment and so on with them. The single market is a massive protection racket that works well when you're in the club, and punishes you for being out of it.

I know the Brexit argument is 'well now we can trade with THE WURLD', but in addition to the 50+ free trade deals we had within the EU, new agreements were also being worked on with US, China and so on. By leaving the EU trade bloc these companies have to wait whilst we start over as a little fish in a big pond, with much less negotiation power (to our market of 65M consumers compared to the EU market of 500M). Makes much more sense for them to relocate back into the EU

Has anyone else noticed Pat has ripped in lines going up in the middle playfield from Wizard Blocks?

Those are the lasers. The inserts slowly light up starting at the top and moving down, and if they light all the way to the flippers the flippers get temporary interference making it harder to control the ball. Hitting the source of the lasers with the ball makes them lights go out. Good spot - very Wizard Blocksy

Reactions: JT.
I work for a car company on a global level and can sadly say Wizcat is not far off the reality today. Don't expect it to get any better as Article 50 gets triggered.

Anyway, I like the look of DI and can't wait to play it. :)

Not sure, other than stainless trim and no invisglass. No features matrix yet.

See if this works...

Attachments

• cf0785f87135b953890f5bed32f45fbb577fc6ad.jpg
    cf0785f87135b953890f5bed32f45fbb577fc6ad.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 24
And they ARE changing the name! Not going to be Dialed In.

Attachments

• cf0785f87135b953890f5bed32f45fbb577fc6ad.jpg
    cf0785f87135b953890f5bed32f45fbb577fc6ad.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 41
A name change would be good but do pinball companies actually not do any market research? Surely no one undertakes a large scale venture like this without conducting some research. I know a few years ago Gary Stern was meant to have asked his children (grandchildren?) what TV shows were popular so we got CSI and 24 - neither of which really set the pinball world alight.

Seems strange having WOZ, Hobbit, Ghostbusters then Dialled In. You think they would have moved Ghostbusters along to have the three JJP together.

Reactions: JMP
Think they had sample Hobbit games out for testing for at least 3-4 months. Think DP did it for more than that with final sample game for TBL too. Don't think Stern do it for more than 2-4 weeks any more, from what I've seen.

So not THAT close, but it's great that they do this, rather than trying to keep everything behind a veil. Must be invaluable for feedback, reliability testing and general tuning.

Back
Top Bottom