What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JJP3 The Future of Pinball

Replay

Site Supporter
Anyone else excited by this?

Finally it looks like Pat's game is going to be announced at Expo.

Looks like the reveal is scheduled for the Chicago Expo, Oct. 13 @ 8pm. Scheduled is “Jersey Jack Pinball, Designing the Future of Pinball”
Speakers: Jack Guarierni, Pat Lawlor and Staff

Pat Lawlor hasn't done anything amazing in the recent past, but he's not made a truly terrible game (perhaps Monopoly and CSI) you could argue after 1993 he didn't do anything standout. RS is a decent layout but a poor theme, SC is let down by the backbox game and is more of a novelty, of the Stern machines Family Guy is probably the best, the others I could take or leave.

CSI
Shrek/Family Guy
Nascar/Grand Prix
Ripleys
Rollercoaster Tycoon
Monopoly
No Good Gofers
Safe Cracker
Road Show
Twilight Zone
Addams Family
Funhouse
Whirlwind
Earthshaker
Banzai Run

Every time he did a new Stern, people expected the second coming and that was pre any cost cutting (he had to produce to a BoM but he did design in his own studio with reasonable freedom)I'm not even intrigued by whatever he's producing, even Ritchie is on probation after GoT.

I hope to god it isn't coded by Keith Johnson, he seems to want to do 'Apocalypse Now' with every code he does

Well, I am very curious as rumours suggested that the 9 million bucks that was injected into JJP was mainly because of this game.

I guess time will tell;)

Personally I can't wait to see this. Maybe it'll be a disappointment but maybe it will be amazing. Lawlor has talked In the recent past about how he had had all these ideas that were simply not possible to use with the technology available even 10 years ago, but with today's technology available to him he can let rip. Might just be hype of course but there's no doubt he has come out with some masterpieces in the past. If he has ten years worth of ideas inside him and they are finally about to be unleashed that's got to be worth checking out, no?

Looks like the official release of Alien is scheduled for about an hour later.

Drool...

A lot happening in next few months!

AFMR will be announced.

Stern's Batman 66 with the new colour LCD ( finally ).

Pat's game.

Alien.

Will DP announce next game at Expo?

It's been about 24yrs since I first played Addams Family, and the multiball start still makes the little hairs on the back of my neck stand on end*.

If he can nail that emotional response into the next game then good on him & good on JJP for allowing it to happen. His games were fun and accessible, with attempts to try new stuff (possibly gimmicks), which is sadly lacking in the modern world. Probably due to accountants running the show and a lack of new blood perhaps.

*Note: I also get a semi on during the standard multiball intro on Medieval Madness. Only Stern that has a similar effect is the Quora Multiball on Tron :p

Last edited:
To be honest, I get pretty excited about any new pinball reveal/game announcement. It's all good for us pinheads. Hopefully they'll all be cracking games, big fan of Pat Lawlor. Agree the the multiball start on Adams - it denotes an event, you've got to a milestone, you've made the right shots to get it and the build up is soooo satisfying. Wonder if my kids who love TAF will have the same fond memories when they grow up.

if I look at this logically, I doubt it will be a great game. I LOVE the old Lawlor games. I own banzai, funhouse' taf, tz. I would happily buy a good earthshaker, whirly or roadshow.

But in the past 20 years, what has he done? How sharp is he ? Most folk at the top of their game actually play their game. Not have to rely on their successes 20 to 30 years back

I do not fancy Linford christie's chances of repeating his form of the early 90s. I do not fancy john major`s chances of becoming prime minister again. And I do not fancy Lawlor's chances either

I hope that I am wrong

A couple of JJP workers have denied the game is 'dialled in'

If it is then it's probably the end of JJP as a company!

apart from FGUY when the theme made is a must have , my lawlor line up starts with banzai ends with tz . I quite like ripley but wouldn't own one. more pinball is good. more lawlor pinball we shall see. alien easily the game I'm most looking forward to. go GB!

Lots of potentially interesting games being announced this autumn but has the golden goose been cooked in terms of people being willing to pre-order? We know Stern can deliver but what about all the other companies? Even with Stern assembling MMr people still seem to be waiting for the initial run to be finished. Are people really going to pop cash down for a couple of years on AFMr?

Both JJP and CGC claimed not to be taking money in advance this time....:oops:

Finally are you sure you really want the campy 60s batman to be on a LCD screen? (although cat woman admittedly was hot)

upload_2016-8-23_22-24-49.png

If the rumours of a mobile phone interactive pin are true then it is 15 years too late. Any pin that tries to ring me with spam messages I'm going to punch it in the cock.
It's when your pinball machine sends you a Facebook request you want to worry!

There's supposed to be a companion mobile app which features heavily, and the machine is supposedly called Killer App with the app called Dialled in . Had heard all that before, but someone said the "Killer App" thing on a stream last night, which I was previously unaware of. Also supposed to be narrow body.

Jack Guarnieri said in a previous interview he'd quit the pinball industry if they didn't ship at least 8K of Lawlor's game. That was 2-3 months ago. He must be pretty confident ....

Last edited:
There's supposed to be a companion mobile app which features heavily, and the machine is supposedly called Killer App with the app called Dialled in . Had heard all that before, but someone said the "Killer App" thing on a stream last night, which I was previously unaware of. Also supposed to be narrow body.

Jack Guarnieri said in a previous interview he'd quit the pinball industry if they didn't ship at least 8K of Lawlor's game. That was 2-3 months ago. He must be pretty confident ....

It might just be a statement of fact rather than confidence...

It might just be a statement of fact rather than confidence...

Can't really be 'fact' at this stage. But I'm assuming some in the industry have seen it under NDA, and a decent number of machines have already been committed to.

Most seemed to think that GB would be Stern's biggest seller for years ... but that looks very unlikely now given all their production issues. So you never know what unforeseen circumstances might derail it.

Anyway, seems like an ambitious but entirely realistic target. Biggest impediment to BIG production numbers is likely to be price. If they can produce a narrow body with similar quality to WOZ and Hobbit for $1500 less for a Standard edition, it should sell like hotcakes given how ropey Stern's build and finish is these days.

Biggest impediment to BIG production numbers is likely to be price.
and the fact that there's only a fraction of the operated games out there that there used to be

if he said he needs to sell 8,000 to stay in the business then maybe he's fed up with breaking even and wants to make loadsamoney. good luck to him. you all seem to know loads about production numbers that i haven't seen published anywhere, so i'm taking it all with a grain of salt. if the timing is designed to dent sales of Alien, then i reckon Stern must also want to spoil that party by also releasing their next game soon too. can it really be Iron Maiden? gawd i hope not

and the fact that there's only a fraction of the operated games out there that there used to be

if he said he needs to sell 8,000 to stay in the business then maybe he's fed up with breaking even and wants to make loadsamoney. good luck to him. you all seem to know loads about production numbers that i haven't seen published anywhere, so i'm taking it all with a grain of salt. if the timing is designed to dent sales of Alien, then i reckon Stern must also want to spoil that party by also releasing their next game soon too. can it really be Iron Maiden? gawd i hope not

Heighway are only showing the finished game at Expo because it's been continually and massively delayed. So they spoiled their own party, so to speak.

Supposed to be Batman 66, then Aerosmith with Iron Maiden in 2017 and also Star Wars pin - all with LCD:)

Back
Top Bottom