What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JJP GNR Pinball

Evening all, will soon be in the position on g'n'r LE (with precision flippers fitted - I understand that can make a good difference with the flippers)
Was wondering if there are any settings I should change straight away in game settings to have a good balance of fun/challenge?
Will take another look at the adjustments in one of the other pages in this thread again, but more thinking along the line of initial must change settings.
Cheers!

P.s any original gnr owners still have their machines, or? ; I know some on pinside say gnr is all style over substance, but others say there's a great game in there (I've only played one briefly before, which excites me, as a nice change from mostly having Stern games at home before)

Evening all, will soon be in the position on g'n'r LE (with precision flippers fitted - I understand that can make a good difference with the flippers)
Was wondering if there are any settings I should change straight away in game settings to have a good balance of fun/challenge?
Will take another look at the adjustments in one of the other pages in this thread again, but more thinking along the line of initial must change settings.
Cheers!

P.s any original gnr owners still have their machines, or? ; I know some on pinside say gnr is all style over substance, but others say there's a great game in there (I've only played one briefly before, which excites me, as a nice change from mostly having Stern games at home before)
Yep, still got mine and still loving it. It’s got style AND substance. Buckets of it. A lot of us bitch about the code but really all it needs is making the Slash Solo stackable/worth the risk and maybe some score balancing. If I was you I’d just enjoy the settings as is and maybe have a tweak to suit you down the line.
The one physical fíx I had to do was adjust the left orbit, so the exiting ball didn’t clip the left sling. Enjoy!

Cheers!

@Big Phil got Nib and says its a keeper.

Still got my one and ain’t going anywhere.
You need to def dial it in and change settings.
Once done, enjoyment shoots up.
I won’t be selling my one as theme/IP is killer.
A lot of bandwagon saying shots are crap but once u learn them, you will enjoy.
I posted some settings back in this thread.
I really only deal with multi-balls during songs which is when you welcome them as it’s a difficult pin.

Glad to here the positive comments :) - was already excited, but moreso now.
Is annoying that they got rid of Scorbit, but not the end of the world.

Only played the LE a couple of times and didn't leave a lasting impression on me, but last year in Canada I played the standard edition (just before/after Godfather) and although it looked pretty bare, I was really getting in to it with the music going and thought I'd like to give the SE a proper chance one day - now is the time!
Thinking of hanging one of my Les Paul's on the wall next to it, but that might be excessive🤔
Not ssure I'd hang one of the Gibsons, but thus Epi Elite (fairly rare MIJ) - which I had Slash 'duncans installed reminds me a lot of one of Slash's old ones (missing a knob);

1000013493.jpg

Ah yeah, I saw that and looked online ; cheapest I found was £100+postage (from a site I'd never heard of) which I thought was a bit steep for a red light? (Even if it does kind of throb, for want of a better word ;-))
Yeah, I was thinking the same ref price for LED but it’s got the lamp controller for pulse.
It’s pure Terminator 2 so had to have it.

Yeah, I was thinking the same ref price for LED but it’s got the lamp controller for pulse.
It’s pure Terminator 2 so had to have it.
I noticed on superskillshot.com (safe to order from?) that they offer the controller for an extra £8 or something; so you need that, otherwise the light is juat a static red?

I noticed on superskillshot.com (safe to order from?) that they offer the controller for an extra £8 or something; so you need that, otherwise the light is juat a static red?
Yep, that’s where I got my one from including controller.
Think those red brite buttons would also be good to replace the yellow flipper buttons.

Anyone in the UK fancy doing this for my GNR and DI for the appropriate level of beer tokens ? I'm not up for giving it a go myself :)
Neither Paul and I have the machine or a board to test with, that is my barrier to helping. We could probably work out what working looks like and test for that but it is always better to know it works under load in the required machine.

But having dug into this, here is my thoughts and information from the thread (I still haven't finished it, long read).

Original cap dimensions :
3300uF
Diameter 25 mm
Lead spacing 12 mm
Length 50 mm

Looks like the changes are: “increased the capacitors on the 70v from 3300uf to 6800uf”
Someone has used these items: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1935931537...pid=5338674831&customid=&toolid=10001&mkevt=1 and the spec appears right but the size interferes with the fuse holders.
Shown here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-fully-populated-enhanced-i-o-board/page/2#post-7988173

Similar but 85oC not 100oC, is the machine over boiling temp in operations?

They are 35mm not 25mm diameter, hence the interference with the fuse holders, which means they won't snap-in the original board and need a spacer or some support to prevent vibrations.
As other suggested, this could mean that we could decide to mount them separately from the board.

But will it look OK?
What is good enough for me, might not be the professional finish someone wants on their expensive toy. The caps will sit higher and we would have to look at how to solve that. A daughter PCB board could be a cheap alternative, where the caps snap into the daughter board and the daughter board joins the mainboard via something stable.
We would need to see a board and get some dimensions.

What would this Cost?
The caps look to be £15 for the two, might source cheaper.
Daughter board £5
Some legs to connect to the mainboard £1
So about £21
Return shipping ~£7.50

Time to do the work and take the risk, call it £71.50 to round all the costs up to £100
($126) with return shipping Vs $399 for an all new board that is plug and play.

id' be in for £100 if you're up for giving it a shot. Happy to send any pics you need also, I'm guessing the downside of not testing aren't that severe? If the board gets fubar'd (which seems unlikely from the pinside thread) then I'd be in for £400 to replace it. Seems really unlikely that a fubar'd board would cause damage elsewhere in the machine?
Re daughter board - is that for clearance? Looks like a couple of people have 3d printed some risers instead, not sure if that's what you meant.

The impact would be the period of time you don't have a board but also if the return board didn't work as expected and it needed to be sent back. It would be unlikely that the board would become unusable.
Plus, you won't be able to compare boards because your old board is the donor for the work.

If I had a machine, I could check it worked so it would go back to you tested.

I can print spacers, the legs may also need to be extended, and these would also be subjected to movement which may be a long term issue. This method would be cheaper and quicker than a daughter board to mock up for one or two.
But the daughter board could be more sensible if there was a lot of demand as someone could solder the caps to the daughter boards and prepare them whilst the customers board was being posted to them.
The daughter boards would add two positives.
If done right, it adds to the clearance, it may still need spacers but these could lock onto the daughter board.
But then you can use it as an adapter plate, to have the cap lock into the daughter board, and the legs for the main board be more thoroughly secured to this board than wire extensions. Cap leg width could also now be played with.

But this is all me just writing it down. I would want a machine to play with or someone local to work with on this. First off, what is the height required for the clearance?

My LE arrived yesterday and so thought I'd give some initial impressions after putting about 20 plays (or less) on so far.
Have to mention first how beautiful the powder coat is on the legs/lockdown ; well impressed!
Great feature having volume control button outside (headphone capability too is a great thing to have as factory standard)

Flippers on my game are precision flippers with fans fitted - feel different than Stern, but are certainly strong enough for all shots 👍🏻
First few games I found the shots a bit clunky if not hit dead on, and the multiballs a nuisance.
As I've played more though, got used to the shots and learned to take a quick glance at the mini screen to know what I'm aiming for, it's becoming very addictive. Haven't been able to nail the long extra ball shot though the spinning record/pops though (though I think if you go through the centre rollover via an orbit shot or whatever, it still collects the extra ball?

Really like the break down the wall mode; hitting the spinning disc then action button feels fresh (also sounds like JJP either used a live Civil solo for that mode, or Slash came in and jammed a bit - pretty cool)

Haven't managed to defeat the dirty robot yet in thirst for carnage, but enjoy it - again, strangely satisfying hitting the action button.

Didn't think I'd be overly impressed with the light show, but love some of the colours/choreography for some of the songs ; when it's all happening, really immersive (thought they'd be operated) - one tune's lighting even reminded me a bit of Stanger Things' upside down world; almost looked light it utilised a black light. Excited to check out all the tunes.

When you start being able to hit your shots and start hitting combos, like left orbit to hitting centre loop with upper flipper the flow is really nice (have to be pretty accurite though, as otherwise can hit rattley shots.

I find during songs, you almost have to ignore the other balls in play, or more often than not, bat a ball away and then focus your next shot on what you are aiming for; otherwise you are just flailing and not progressing the song effectively.
Song mode reminds me of CII modes in Metallica (but with ball saves/add a balls), but not as intense (yet..) - satisfying cashing out with a big song jackpot though:) - as time passes, I cam see me aiming to see I can get through a whole without cashing out.

Few questions;

Am I correct in saying that if you cash out in song mode, although the flippers go dead and you drain, you are still on the same ball when you resume your game from the ball trough?

If you get booed off stage* do you lose that ball when the flippers go dead?
*happened during civil war; it was saying hit the blue shots, but couldn't see any blue shots lit; WTF?)

How do you activate COMA for whh you all drains via the left outlane?; do you need to have that patch selected/collected, or is there another way?

Is it normal for a message in the lower left of the screen to come up "calibrating sensors" after every game?

Haven't set yo WiFi yet, but running latest beta code (from Decmeber?); is it normal for a bunch of bootup text etc to come up when booting? (Som of the text looked like errors etc, but then booted in to game no problem?

Anyone know the setting to turn off the knocked (I'm assuming it's a physical one and can't juat turn the volume down like a software based knocker.

My LE arrived yesterday and so thought I'd give some initial impressions after putting about 20 plays (or less) on so far.
Have to mention first how beautiful the powder coat is on the legs/lockdown ; well impressed!
Great feature having volume control button outside (headphone capability too is a great thing to have as factory standard)

Flippers on my game are precision flippers with fans fitted - feel different than Stern, but are certainly strong enough for all shots 👍🏻
First few games I found the shots a bit clunky if not hit dead on, and the multiballs a nuisance.
As I've played more though, got used to the shots and learned to take a quick glance at the mini screen to know what I'm aiming for, it's becoming very addictive. Haven't been able to nail the long extra ball shot though the spinning record/pops though (though I think if you go through the centre rollover via an orbit shot or whatever, it still collects the extra ball?

Really like the break down the wall mode; hitting the spinning disc then action button feels fresh (also sounds like JJP either used a live Civil solo for that mode, or Slash came in and jammed a bit - pretty cool)

Haven't managed to defeat the dirty robot yet in thirst for carnage, but enjoy it - again, strangely satisfying hitting the action button.

Didn't think I'd be overly impressed with the light show, but love some of the colours/choreography for some of the songs ; when it's all happening, really immersive (thought they'd be operated) - one tune's lighting even reminded me a bit of Stanger Things' upside down world; almost looked light it utilised a black light. Excited to check out all the tunes.

When you start being able to hit your shots and start hitting combos, like left orbit to hitting centre loop with upper flipper the flow is really nice (have to be pretty accurite though, as otherwise can hit rattley shots.

I find during songs, you almost have to ignore the other balls in play, or more often than not, bat a ball away and then focus your next shot on what you are aiming for; otherwise you are just flailing and not progressing the song effectively.
Song mode reminds me of CII modes in Metallica (but with ball saves/add a balls), but not as intense (yet..) - satisfying cashing out with a big song jackpot though:) - as time passes, I cam see me aiming to see I can get through a whole without cashing out.

Few questions;

Am I correct in saying that if you cash out in song mode, although the flippers go dead and you drain, you are still on the same ball when you resume your game from the ball trough?

If you get booed off stage* do you lose that ball when the flippers go dead?
*happened during civil war; it was saying hit the blue shots, but couldn't see any blue shots lit; WTF?)

How do you activate COMA for whh you all drains via the left outlane?; do you need to have that patch selected/collected, or is there another way?

Is it normal for a message in the lower left of the screen to come up "calibrating sensors" after every game?

Haven't set yo WiFi yet, but running latest beta code (from Decmeber?); is it normal for a bunch of bootup text etc to come up when booting? (Som of the text looked like errors etc, but then booted in to game no problem?

Anyone know the setting to turn off the knocked (I'm assuming it's a physical one and can't juat turn the volume down like a software based knocker.
Is the magnet working above the top lanes? It should occasionally grab the ball and drop it through the centre lane. It's pretty common for the thermal switch on the magnet coil to break and stop the magnet working. I had to replace the magnet coil when I received mine.

Is the magnet working above the top lanes? It should occasionally grab the ball and drop it through the centre lane. It's pretty common for the thermal switch on the magnet coil to break and stop the magnet working. I had to replace the magnet coil when I received mine.
Yeah it's working every time; pretty cool.
My machine is mint - only 200 plays or something like that. Has the stage kit fitted too (not the replacement drum kit, but the surrounds for the hexagonal lights etc) - it's one of the later batch too, so not post issues/damage to PF.

There is a sponsor patch set, if you collect them all you'll light extra ball, e.g Gibson Marshall,...

There is a sponsor patch set, if you collect them all you'll light extra ball, e.g Gibson Marshall,...
I found the patches ruined the game for me. Once I realised how useful they were I spent most of my time trying to get the sets of patches I wanted, often cradling and pounding on the button to get there. So many games ended with me achieving very little cos I spend the whole time chasing patches. I enjoyed the game more before I learned how the patches worked.

What a strange game G'N'R is; came home from work this eve and played a few games. First handful of games I did really badly, promting me to start to hate the game 😀... but strangely couldn't resist playing game after game.
Eventually started getting in the groove again and COMA came up as my next song and I started progressing through the stages and got to the point where the little screen was telling me I had to hit the Coma target 5 times (blimey I thought..), then I realised for the first time that the right ramp has a diverter, so rather the ball travelling down the drumsticks, it drops the ball to the upper right flipper; really cool:)
Was a bit of a rush when I managed to clear all the Coma target hits. Ended up cashing out at over 9 million (did the same on another tune yesterday - think my highest score is about 15 million, which I guess isn't much)

Back
Top Bottom