What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jaws! By Stern… We’re going to need a bigger games room !

I'm out of LE buying after Bond

6k increase over 4 years is unacceptable

Jaws looks meh atm to me, happy to be wrong when i play it in a week or so

I said I was out of buying LEs after I got DP. Then they released AIQ and Foo both of which are keeper themes for me, but Foo I ordered before I realised how much it was 😲

Will have to see when it's all fully revealed but I wonder if Stern are looking to take some extra profit $$$ on them, reducing the mechs and BOM because they know it'll sell because it's an Elwin game.

See they used cast again, a flapping Jaws topper would have been nice too.

Attachments

• IMG_4045.jpeg
    IMG_4045.jpeg
    70 KB · Views: 34
Concerning they didn’t use the JAWS theme for this teaser, if they had it, surely they would have used it for this and any promotional material??

Music rights are complicated and copyright strikes are common even when rights are negotiated because of claims by a related copyright holder. Easier to avoid it on a promo, especially if there are multiple entities involved (which there may be). Also, it is probably cheaper to licence only for inclusion in the machine and not for broadcast.

View attachment 240883

Fifteen thousand, six hundred and ninety five pounds. Zero pence.

So nearly 2x Pro = 1x LE.
LEs are a 'whale trap' (or, maybe, given the theme, a great white shark trap'). The idea is to lure the tiny minority of prolific buyers who are price insensitive, but who make a major contribution to your profit. LE prices will carry on rising until the fish stop biting.

For everyone else, if you want the mechs, you buy a Prem, spend £200 on powder coating, £90 on speaker upgrades (if that) and £150 on a shaker motor...

Last time I bought an LE was Jurassic Park. It was £10k, which was £1k more than the Premium. Could just about justify it for the glass, upgraded speakers, shaker motor, mirrored backglass, powder coating etc.

Don't see myself buying another when the price difference between the Prem and LE is now £4.4k. Especially seeing as Stern have really shown their hand re releasing other LE variants down the line.

So about 5k more for some different artwork and an LE badge, absolute ****take now.

Oh and a £130 shaker Motors.
It's literally a 'whale' thing - article about mobile game 'whales' linked here, for anyone who hasn't come across the concept before. They only need a very small number of people to buy every LE to make them profitable and, if those people will buy a £30k LE, that's what they'll charge.

Stern's challenge is not losing their 'minnows' (e.g. onsite players) and 'dolphins' (e.g. small collectors) by making the Pros unattractive/unusable. I don't know how much arcades -vs- private collectors contribute to revenue either. Arcades tend to buy the Pro edition, and there must be barcades in the US that buy every Stern model.

Last edited:
Not really bothered about “LE” versions but with prices north of 10k I’m also out of ever buying Premiums and 8k+ for a cut down version doesn’t really do it.

I honestly don’t think there’s any theme I’d value at over 10k.

Getting out of the hobby is looking more attractive with every new release.

Most of us are out of space, so to buy a game you must sell one first and you really are hoping you enjoy the new game more too. At least it’s not another marvel theme. The LE looks the dogs ******** to me and if I had deep pockets I’d be in on one..

Think we know who will be buying the LE’s and I wouldn’t be surprised if Phil hasn’t already sold out all his allocation. It’s a beautiful machine no doubt. Wonder if Neil will buy two and keep one boxed!

BOM lower for more $$$

That makes no sense at all... Hopefully this isn't Stern going back to their old ways
What doesn’t make sense, Stern pulling stuff out to keep the BOM down in order to maximise their profit in a cooling market?

It makes perfect sense.

Think we know who will be buying the LE’s and I wouldn’t be surprised if Phil hasn’t already sold out all his allocation. It’s a beautiful machine no doubt. Wonder if Neil will buy two and keep one boxed!
Don't knock Neil (too much) ;) He has just put a Venom LE in PBR and most of the modern Sterns in PBR belong to him :) It's a great service to UK competition pinball and a good fun resource for those of us who are, erm, less good at competition play.

You buy at that price, better be prepared to keep it forever. Selling your gonna lose your y-fronts
I agree with you 100% on this.

BUT - why do pinball buyers expect what to get back and sometimes more on a pinball after they have owned it?

You drive a new car of the forecourt and it is worth 25-30% less.

People have been waiting 2 years for Jaws.

Who is in on an LE apart from Neil?

My car was 46k 2yr ago I dread to think what it’s worth now but it will be another 5yr before I get another and I’ll just be happy if I am still here by then fk the money. 😂
But yep it seems some levelling needed to happen and reality is now setting in.
I actually feel quite chuffed when I look at my 10.9k Scooby as it looks packed to the brim in comparison and the topper that has just landed is how toppers should be made.

It's literally a 'whale' thing - article about mobile game 'whales' linked here, for anyone who hasn't come across the concept before. They only need a very small number of people to buy every LE to make them profitable and, if those people will buy a £30k LE, that's what they'll charge.

Stern's challenge is not losing their 'minnows' (e.g. onsite players) and 'dolphins' (e.g. small collectors) by making the Pros unattractive/unusable. I don't know how much arcades -vs- private collectors contribute to revenue either. Arcades tend to buy the Pro edition, and there must be barcades in the US that buy every Stern model.

Arcade Monsters in Oviedo Florida, was wall to wall LE's. $22 flip all day.
The guy there just said he took whatever was sent as long as it was new, seemed the perfect place for Pro's to get hammered. Even the 3 CGC's were the top tier models with toppers.

Losing 20% on a 6k toy isn’t too bad. Losing 20% on a 15k game is a different level of pain. And really will it still sell second hand or do you need to discount it further?

For me the innovation simply isn’t there on modern games. Look how exciting the toys were on the 90s game. Cannons. T-Rex. Even the Flintstones had a range of cool gimmicks.

Maybe there’s more here but the shark looks like it was inspired by Viz and the bash toy has been done so many times before.

Hopefully the big reveal will show more but it’s pretty underwhelming for the cash.

Being honest the virtual pinball one looks far better with a better looking boat and the shark cage ball lock.

I agree with you 100% on this.

BUT - why do pinball buyers expect what to get back and sometimes more on a pinball after they have owned it?
I do not think anyone expects to get back what they paid or more when selling up, it is more to do with the gap between selling and buying now thats the issue.

Speaking of Sterns for a long time now you could own a game and maybe loose 500-1000 tops, you could sell and put another 1000-1500 up and get the next NIB release.

Now where the prices are at today, you are looking at loosing several thousands and then having to put several thousands more in on top of that lose, to get the next release, it is just harder to maintain now.

Look at those Foo LEs, what where they new £15.5k? In this current market they are not selling at £11k thats already a £4.5k hit, then to get the next LE release (yes they could buy a pro or premium, let's just say for the hell of it they are an LE sucker) they would need to put the same again into it and thats if you manage to sell at £11-12k.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom