What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this a record dry spell for pin sales??

I'm planning to whore out Star Trek for temp swaps for other newer pins when I tire of it. Is something I've done before and is a great way to get others in so long as both parties trust each other.

I'm planning to whore out Star Trek for temp swaps for other newer pins when I tire of it. Is something I've done before and is a great way to get others in so long as both parties trust each other.

I'll be your whore for a bit ;)

what do people think would be a reasonable expectation to be able to sell on a NIB pro for these days ? If they now cost 6k new would asking 5k be about right ?

It seems people think they can still pick up TWD, MET etc for 4kish which is a pretty big hit on the NIB price currently.
That is a good point you make. I am looking for a Metallica and expect to pay more than £4K for one.
By the same token I wouldn't let my Walking Dead go for less than about £4.5k (if I were to sell it, which I most certainly am not).

That is a good point you make. I am looking for a Metallica and expect to pay more than £4K for one.
By the same token I wouldn't let my Walking Dead go for less than about £4.5k (if I were to sell it, which I most certainly am not).
I think people are hoping to pick up these titles for 4k. Remember when MET came out it was £4400 NIB but is now £6000.

Temp swaps are a great thing, off the top of my head I have borrowed a MET master of puppets, fishtails, Tron, Baywatch, WOZ, Avengers, PTOC, Batman TDK, 24, Ironman, BOP 2.0, Elvis, LOTR etc,etc I currently have a TWDLE here. A lot of these are games I wouldn't buy but the chance to use them without parting with £ is great and it is good for the other party as well because they get to borrow something of mine.

P.S. Forgot to ad Popeye to the list of fantastic borrowed games above ;)

Just curious.

How much money do you get paid for borrowing Popeye?:p

I think people are hoping to pick up these titles for 4k. Remember when MET came out it was £4400 NIB but is now £6000.

Imagine if a MET was listed now on the for sale section for 4k and how many messages would be sent asking for it!

I think picking a game like that up for that kind of price is unrealistic these days (I got a MET for £3500 some while ago) and this is what is a bummer about the times we are now in I think

I think one of the problem these days is that nobody buys a pin because they want it it more a thing of is it going to loose money this is a hobby not a business for most people when I bought my first pins and nib I do it because I wanted to own and enjoy them and if i lost so be it
If you save up and buy a nice car you expect it to loose value so what is the difference with pins

I think one of the problem these days is that nobody buys a pin because they want it it more a thing of is it going to loose money this is a hobby not a business for most people when I bought my first pins and nib I do it because I wanted to own and enjoy them and if i lost so be it
If you save up and buy a nice car you expect it to loose value so what is the difference with pins
Agree!
Just found out my VW Golf that cost £10k 3 years ago is now worth £3.5k.....
Every hobby costs money, why on earth pinball should be different has always puzzled me:confused:

Summertime funds need to be spent elsewhere. When autumn comes around i'd expect the frenzy to be back on track.

How about offering rentals, Chris?

Reactions: JT.
Can @Paul get to the forum's database and extract the contents of the for sale section to Excel or a text file - giving an indication of what the flag was (i.e only For Sale or Sold are relevant), the heading of the post, and the date posted? If that's possible, I'm happy to manually go through it and filter out any non-machine sales - if we could get say, the last three years of data, I can put it in Excel then generate some sort of graph that shows machine adverts versus time period, then we can maybe have a stab at answering @Sgt GrizZ 's original question :)

Can @Paul get to the forum's database and extract the contents of the for sale section to Excel or a text file - giving an indication of what the flag was (i.e only For Sale or Sold are relevant), the heading of the post, and the date posted? If that's possible, I'm happy to manually go through it and filter out any non-machine sales - if we could get say, the last three years of data, I can put it in Excel then generate some sort of graph that shows machine adverts versus time period, then we can maybe have a stab at answering @Sgt GrizZ 's original question :)

:eek:

I'll start to go through and make sure everything is categorized correctly first (eg, Those that sold were actually sold - Some say "sold" on the post however still are "for sale".

once I have done this will see what wizardry can be done :D - Things like numbers per month etc

Might take a week or so :D

:eek:

I'll start to go through and make sure everything is categorized correctly first (eg, Those that sold were actually sold - Some say "sold" on the post however still are "for sale".

once I have done this will see what wizardry can be done :D - Things like numbers per month etc

Might take a week or so :D

Edit: if you need any help with manual data correction stuff, I'm happy to help, although I guess for these purposes, it doesn't actually matter whether it sold or not - just an indication of when a machine was put up for sale would suffice :thumbs:

TBH I know when I sold a couple of machines. The prices that are advertised are not necessarily sold prices. Usually once the machine is sold you then get the asking price.Lol.. Motto to myself be patient when selling...

Agree!
Just found out my VW Golf that cost £10k 3 years ago is now worth £3.5k.....
Every hobby costs money, why on earth pinball should be different has always puzzled me:confused:
My collection of Van Goghs has increased in price....

Made the mistake of selling 3 of mine when I had no space, now I have space but no machines to put in it. Feels like I sold my TV to buy a TV licence.

What's the deal on importing used games from the US? Does anyone bother? I know it's done a fair bit for vids. I guess it works out barely worth it, although the pound has recovered a bit I see. There are plenty of machines on Pinside market place that would seem within the going rate price wise for the pound conversion + £500 on top. Certainly not cheap, but available at least.

Plenty in the states but factor in vat shipping and other dutys and it's really not worth it modern sterns won't work in this country unless you want to hack the board

Made the mistake of selling 3 of mine when I had no space, now I have space but no machines to put in it. Feels like I sold my TV to buy a TV licence.

What's the deal on importing used games from the US? Does anyone bother? I know it's done a fair bit for vids. I guess it works out barely worth it, although the pound has recovered a bit I see. There are plenty of machines on Pinside market place that would seem within the going rate price wise for the pound conversion + £500 on top. Certainly not cheap, but available at least.
Yes to £500 on top , then add 20% onto the total for the dreaded VAT:eek:

I think this is anything but a dry spell. There are lots of machines available, whether people want to pay the asking price is another matter entirely.

A proper dry spell was the year after the 2008 global economic crash...!

A proper dry spell was the year after the 2008 global economic crash...!

Totally disagree - there were tons more machines knocking about for sale then - I know because about then my collection expanded considerably and forced a Shack build :) - Pins Anon were in full flight, plenty of couple hundred quid pins on ebay regularly etc.

Totally disagree - there were tons more machines knocking about for sale then - I know because about then my collection expanded considerably and forced a Shack build :) - Pins Anon were in full flight, plenty of couple hundred quid pins on ebay regularly etc.
Totally agree with Ive, there were endless machines that were available for sale at cheap cheap prices.

^^ The days when you posted a wanted ad and got not just one reply but a choice! Ahhhhhh.... :)

2008 bought my LOTR for 2k. Don't remember it being a dry spell at all. I went from 2 to 10 or so machines around 2008/2010. Always lots of stuff on ebay and the old Yahoo group.

This year it's been pretty slim pickings. So saying I need to offload a couple of games in the near future

All anecdotal I know. But in the current market I think you need to pay up and move fast.

This forum may seem a bit thin. But that is because bigger prices are being achieved elsewhere for weak and average titles.

Also think that in a rising market, people that are not desperate to sell just keep hold of their games in the hope of possibly making more bucks later.

Back
Top Bottom