What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Internet throttling?

No, no hardware changes at all. The modem plugs straight into an Openreach box so no filters.

The only other thing I'm thinking that might cause it (and this might be complete nonsense as I'm not very technical with this side of things) is that I'm using Oracle Virtualbox to run Perforce. Could that be interfering?

Best off SSH to that box and do a netstat and ethstatus if possible.

Or just turn it off for a bit and see if it improves.

BT are, sadly, the worst company I have ever had the misfortune to deal with. Was due to change to BT from Sky in Jan of this year and the huge number of 'assistants' I had to speak to over the course of a month (pretty much on a daily basis) were basically a set of incompetent fools who clearly had no idea of how their company worked. (No that's not fair, one lady was a gem who really did try her best to help me out) My order was 'reissued' three times and the ultimate ****take was when one of the line managers accused ME of lying to him!! Needless to say, I hung up, managed to extract a full refund and went back to Sky. If you should ever think about transferring to BT do NOT do it. Yes, I got my money back but nothing can compensate for the countless hours I spent being told that 'my call is important to them' or such like.

Ah - that feels better!! [emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]

No, no hardware changes at all. The modem plugs straight into an Openreach box so no filters.

The only other thing I'm thinking that might cause it (and this might be complete nonsense as I'm not very technical with this side of things) is that I'm using Oracle Virtualbox to run Perforce. Could that be interfering?

Rob,
as I said PM me the phone number on the line and I can get it looked into by my team. I doubt Virtualbox would cause this but it is a CPU taxing app.

Easiest way to test. Take your laptop near your BT Hub, if you can connect with a cable then please do so.

Visit this website:

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com

and run the test.

Post the response here.

Thanks,
Neil.

Utterly no insight into BT but I know "over subscription" is the ******** excuse Virgin keep giving me as to why I'm meant to be getting 150+ and often get less than 1.5. Always get told that my upgrade should be happening "next month". I did offer to only pay 1% of my bill as I only get 1% of the speed. Their solution was to suggest only using the net during the day when everyone else was at work.:mad: I can't even swap to BT infinity as that service stops 10 doors down from my house. :mad::mad:

CATV DOCSIS downside, you are in a pool with others and you speed is heavily influenced by that, especially if anyone is uploading. We will get to everyone's house soon.

So you are using consumer broadband for a business? ;)

No, not really. I utilise my own home broadband for email, system access and report issue etc. to my employer because I work from home as LIW like millions of others do. It's pointless them installing a second line and internet setup when I have FTTP up to 76MB already.

Is there some issue here?

Our customer service isn't great but this year I'm spending over £80M in systems to improve it and we are at 80 odd percent in moving all calls back to the UK.

FTTP ordering is an area where we are particularly weak but have a lot of improvements coming. With regards to you complaint - did you get a complaint number as it's not acceptable that you didn't get a response to that.

Regards,
Neil.

That's good to hear. Sure I got a complaint number, will have hunt back to see if can find it in emails. Probably dead and buried by now though as it goes back 12 months....

No, not really. I utilise my own home broadband for email, system access and report issue etc. to my employer because I work from home as LIW like millions of others do. It's pointless them installing a second line and internet setup when I have FTTP up to 76MB already.

That's good to hear. Sure I got a complaint number, will have hunt back to see if can find it in emails. Probably dead and buried by now though as it goes back 12 months....

are you sure you have FTTP? Do you have an openreach box with lights on it that say OLT? Or do you plug into a phone line box?

The issue with consumer broadband is the service levels are all lower so when something breaks (even if its done by accident) the time to fix is linked to the SLA and because of the way Openreach is setup there is nothing that can be done about this. Its one of my pet peeves with Ofcom.

Neil.

are you sure you have FTTP? Do you have an openreach box with lights on it that say OLT?

Yep.

Not wanting to keep rubbing salt in the wound (realise you're getting it in the neck here ;)) but one of the biggest problems when ringing was getting BT staff to understand I had FTTP not FTTC. As Mark said above, countless times of being passed around until eventually put on hold (for 45 minutes on average) to the FTTP team that you were not able to contact directly.

Just looked at old emails and whilst there's a ton of BT stuff there, cannot see any complaint responses. It was done online or via email from memory, don't recall a response so maybe I never got a number.... water under bridge now anyway.

On a positive note, I'm grateful FTTP was made available to my rural location (albeit BT where the only ones had access to it - presume an Open Reach/BT thing) and it has worked well with better wi-fi range from Super hub than my old Sky one..... until the accidental ten day cut off.

Cheers.

its because other operators haven't chosen to offer the product. some cool stuff coming on FTTP soon watch this space ;)

Neil.

Reactions: JMP
Rob,
as I said PM me the phone number on the line and I can get it looked into by my team. I doubt Virtualbox would cause this but it is a CPU taxing app.

Easiest way to test. Take your laptop near your BT Hub, if you can connect with a cable then please do so.

Visit this website:

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com

and run the test.

Post the response here.

Thanks,
Neil.

Ok so I just ran that test with a laptop connected directly to the modem. Results were: Download speed 54.89 Upload speed 8.76 Ping 31.25

I'll run it again later with the machine upstairs switched on. My wife says its always fine during the day with tablets and chromecast streaming. The problems seem to start once my big PC goes on in the evening. But I guess that's also when traffic is heaviest generally.

Something is a miss with the big pc then.

But could the big PC cause the modem to slow down, stutter or stop altogether? Because the problems become apparent on all devices. The wifi just crawls or stops.

Ok so I just ran that test with a laptop connected directly to the modem. Results were: Download speed 54.89 Upload speed 8.76 Ping 31.25

I'll run it again later with the machine upstairs switched on. My wife says its always fine during the day with tablets and chromecast streaming. The problems seem to start once my big PC goes on in the evening. But I guess that's also when traffic is heaviest generally.

You won't loose that much speed in the evening. Can you make sure that your PC hasn't been hacked or virused - quite often they are used as DDOS soldiers and they hoover up all your bandwidth - once you send me your number though I can check for sure on our network capacity. Busiest night of the network is Sunday night so worth trying the test again tonight if you can.

Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

But could the big PC cause the modem to slow down, stutter or stop altogether? Because the problems become apparent on all devices. The wifi just crawls or stops.

If it was being used as a DDOS soldier that would affect everything on the line!

Ahh ****. Had a verification code from Amazon sent while I was out driving this afternoon. Hacking is looking like a possibility...

If it was being used as a DDOS soldier that would affect everything on the line!

Neil,

Whilst you're cracking out the BT favours, I moved my business utilities all across to Utility Warehouse as a cost cutting exercise recently, that included 2 different BT business phone lines. Imagine my surprise when both accounts final bills had £350 early termination fees attached! :eek: Apparently 2 years ago I went for a 5 year contract but £700 in fines is a bit of a kick to my danglies! Fancy having a word in someone's ear wink wink nudge nudge buy you a pint when we meet guv! ;);):thumbs:

My wi-fi used to play up, really slow and cut out. Took me ages to realise it was my video sender that was the issue, it was using the same frequency. As soon as I switched it off the wi-fi returned to normal. I think I ended up getting a new 5.8GHz video sender to get around the problem.

To counter all the BT hate, I've been with them for years, no problems here.

Last edited:
Neil,

Whilst you're cracking out the BT favours, I moved my business utilities all across to Utility Warehouse as a cost cutting exercise recently, that included 2 different BT business phone lines. Imagine my surprise when both accounts final bills had £350 early termination fees attached! :eek: Apparently 2 years ago I went for a 5 year contract but £700 in fines is a bit of a kick to my danglies! Fancy having a word in someone's ear wink wink nudge nudge buy you a pint when we meet guv! ;);):thumbs:

sorry dood, you got no chance :D

My wi-fi used to play up, really slow and cut out. Took me ages to realise it was my video sender that was the issue, it was using the same frequency. As soon as I switched it off the wi-fi returned to normal. I think I ended up getting a new 5.8GHz video sender to get around the problem.

To counter all the BT hate I've been with them for years, no problems here.

wifi issues are the biggest cause for customer issue. Hence our new smart hub 6 which helps a lot with that.

Yeah I had one of those, swapped it for an Asus.

I'm not going to be able to do a proper test tonight. I'm getting download 49Mbps downstairs connected to the modem and 10Mbps upstairs on wifi. But the machine upstairs has been scanning for viruses for the last 4 hours and won't be finished until sometime tomorrow, so not really a valid test. Be interesting to test it again with Virtualbox running.

Oh....and just noticed "Preliminary scan results show that malicious or potentially unwanted software may exist on your computer"

It seems that after a bit of investigation by Paul there may be an over subscription in my area thats slowing things down so I'll speak to them on Monday and see whats what. This wasn't a crack at Neil in any way and I expect him to reply about as much as I will to any negative threads related to what I do for a living i.e. not at all

Not actually true... What i said was on the checker it comes up with "Infinity is available in your Area, however due to high demand there is no capacity left in your cabinet" - Meaning that, whilst it quotes for "standard" internet, there is no visibility of what you could expect to get.
As i suggested - Speak to Bt and ask then what speed you should expect to get on your current connection, and the minimum - if this is lower that you are getting is when you could kick off...

Saying that, and looking at subsequent messages, sounds like (as Neil Said) one of your machines is sucking up all the bandwidth. I would disconnect that machine (whilst it runs it's checks etc) and see what the rest of the network does.

And @johnwhitfield - There are complaints all over the country on Virgin of congestion (i have experienced this myself) and it is completely crap thing to go through, as whilst some of the Techs will acknowledge it, short of a complete network re-jig (and Months and months of waiting/continually moving dates etc) it takes forever.
VM think they have you over a barrel with regards to speeds, however i have previously found that a good BT 76Mb connection is just as quick (Nothing really needs 200Mg continuous connection unless you are a pirate or trying to download the entire interweb!)

yeah cabinet full doesn't equal bandwidth full :D I suspect thats why the checker is saying to some folks with Infinity that they can only get standard BB.

Neil

Ok so that machine did come back with a high alert malware: SoftwareBundler:Win32/Stallmonitz which was located in some Windows backup zip files dating back to 2015. After a bit of googling that seems to be something related to performing an upgrade to Windows 10 (which I did do around that time and subsequently backed out). So not sure if thats the culprit or not.

So tonight leave the pc off and see how it performs. Also the further away from the router you are the less speed you will get on wifi, esp. 5Ghz

Still completely stumped on this one. Neil has kindly looked into it for me and it doesn't seem to be anything network related. I've systematically ruled out everything I can think of e.g. viruses, wifi interference from wireless mouse/keyboard, Vive, microphones, speakers, phones etc. Just bizarre really that the internet has been fine for the last 2 years and all of a sudden its practically unusable with that machine upstairs switched on, and especially around 9pm.

I've ordered a bunch of powerline gigabit plugs, will report back if that fixes it!

there is an app for the Mac that I use to scan for wifi networks to make sure I'm not on the same channel. It might be worth looking at that?

Also if its possible to connect the machine upstairs to the hub directly, and finally might be worth changing your wifi passwords just incase some leacher has it.

Neil.

Back
Top Bottom